Is it possible to gain 40 pounds in 4 months?

Locster

Don Juan
Reaction score
Im currently 18 years old, 5' 8" and weigh 135 lbs. I have extremly high metabolism and I plan to start working out seriously. I understand that gaining 40 pounds of pure muscle in 4 months is impossible but was wondering if it is possible for a person like me to gain 40 pounds of a healthy balance of fat and muscle in 4 months?

Redux

Don Juan
Reaction score
A lb of muscle is 1600 cals, a lb of fat 4000 cals. If you want something like 50-50 that would mean 20 lbs fat, 20 lbs muscle: 32000+80000 cals = 112000 cals.
Divide that by (4 monthsx4 weeksx7days) and you get 1000 extra cals a day.
Assuming you are happy with 20 lbs fat 20 muscle, have great partitioning (half the cals to muscle, half to fat) and can get 1000 cals over baseline every day, then yes :D

guayaballer

Don Juan
Reaction score
you can achieve 25 to 35 pounds of muscle maybe more if you do everything right but in a year . but dont be in a hurry to gain so much work hard and youll gain

Call_Me_Daddy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No. Most people can gain a max of 2 lbs per week. Weight that is, muscle and some fat. The fat gain cannot be avoided. You will gain at least a minium amount.

Hewever, let's say that you are blessed with good genes and you don't know it. 2lbs a week*16weeks is 32lbs. Under the best conditions with proper nutrition and such.

However, you said that you have a high metabolism. So don't count on it. You will gain muscle, but not 40lbs in that time frame.

If its really important to you you will have to be in this a little longer. At least a year. But its worth it. You do the work, you get the results.

P.S. Don't be a moron and try steroids. You need to know how to use roids properly otherwise you will end up with man-tits and a lack of a nutsack.

Call_Me_Daddy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Redux said:
A lb of muscle is 1600 cals, a lb of fat 4000 cals. If you want something like 50-50 that would mean 20 lbs fat, 20 lbs muscle: 32000+80000 cals = 112000 cals.
Divide that by (4 monthsx4 weeksx7days) and you get 1000 extra cals a day.
Assuming you are happy with 20 lbs fat 20 muscle, have great partitioning (half the cals to muscle, half to fat) and can get 1000 cals over baseline every day, then yes :D
That's the stupidest formula I have seen. Tell me how that makes sense.

You don't know... do you?

Redux

Don Juan
Reaction score
Call_Me_Daddy said:
That's the stupidest formula I have seen. Tell me how that makes sense.

You don't know... do you?
Actually, smartass, a muscle is composed of protein mainly (4cals/g) and fat of fat (9cals/g) but not only. It is only an estimative to illustrate a scenario.

Call_Me_Daddy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Redux said:
Actually, smartass, a muscle is composed of protein mainly (4cals/g) and fat of fat (9cals/g) but not only. It is only an estimative to illustrate a scenario.
Your estimate is wrong on the basis that your body knows that you want to gain exacly 40lbs of mass in a ratio of 1:1 fat:muscle. And so it splits the calories proportinatelly. This is a stupid assumption for many reasons. I wish I could punch you in the back of the head right now.

Oh and one more thing: MUSCLE IS NOT COMPOSED OF 4cal/g!! You idiot.
That's how much energy you get out of a gram of protein when EATEN.
Proof: http://www.annecollins.com/dieting/calories-fat-carbs.htm

It does not get converted to mass. 4cal (assuming from protein) NOT one gram of muscle when ingested. Have you forgotten metabolic activity? Bodily functions that also need to use resources?

:confused:

John_Galt

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something here. But I didn't realize muscle could be made of calories. Just seems a tad weird. Like a tree being composed of outer space.
I do know that a gram of protein has 4 calories though.

Call_Me_Daddy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
John_Galt said:
I do know that a gram of protein has 4 calories though.
Yes, and when you eat many calories composed of carbs and/or fat and protein you gain a significantly less amount of muscle tissue. You put in 300g of food get 20g of muscle.

(NOTICE: This is an example. Not a real ratio. Do not use this information for anythig except to illustrate a point. If you expect to eat 300g and gain 20g of muscle, jokes on you. This will be higher or lower depending on individuals, and circumstances.)

Where does the rest go? Well the muscle has to burn energy. How else to move? And the body also needs energy and it also needs te repair and maintain organs and... etc. Too much stuff than I have patience to write.

John_Galt

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, and when you eat many calories composed of carbs and/or fat and protein you gain a significantly less amount of muscle tissue.
I don't see how you would gain less.

Call_Me_Daddy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
John_Galt said:
I don't see how you would gain less.
Less mass of tissue than the mass of the food ingested.

Example: You eat 1kg of food. Does that mean that you put on 1kg of weight? (assuming dry tissue mass and dry food mass)

No. Most of it is burned off. Now let's say that you nood to consume 1kg of food a day to keep your normal weight. If you eat 2kg of food (1kg over), do you put on 2kg a day?

Even assuming the food is 100% pure. No filler. 100% digestable. And you go to the gym cause you want muscle.

You put an less body mass than the mass you consume. Even if its 100% digestable and you don't need to take a crap since it all gets absorbed.

That's why you got to eat like an animal for a couple of pounds of weight in the gym.

John_Galt

Banned
Reaction score
You said,

Yes, and when you eat many calories composed of carbs and/or fat and protein you gain a significantly less amount of muscle tissue.
Could you explain it, or rephrase it?

Call_Me_Daddy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
John_Galt said:
Could you explain it, or rephrase it?
I did.

If you eat 300grams (extra, above maintenance) of food containing protein, carbs, fat you gain WAY less than 300grams of tissue. Its not 100% efficient conversion.

Agent Zero

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I gained 25 lbs. in 4 months, then I plateaued. But I had been lifting for years so since you are 135 lbs. you could possibly gain 40 lbs in that time frame if you are dedicated. I also have a fast metabolism and body fat remains low (11-12%).

John_Galt

Banned
Reaction score
I did.

If you eat 300grams (extra, above maintenance) of food containing protein, carbs, fat you gain WAY less than 300grams of tissue. Its not 100% efficient conversion.
Okay, I see. I thought you meant something else by it.

Redux

Don Juan
Reaction score
Call_Me_Daddy said:
Your estimate is wrong on the basis that your body knows that you want to gain exacly 40lbs of mass in a ratio of 1:1 fat:muscle. And so it splits the calories proportinatelly. This is a stupid assumption for many reasons. I wish I could punch you in the back of the head right now.

Oh and one more thing: MUSCLE IS NOT COMPOSED OF 4cal/g!! You idiot.
That's how much energy you get out of a gram of protein when EATEN.
Proof: http://www.annecollins.com/dieting/calories-fat-carbs.htm

It does not get converted to mass. 4cal (assuming from protein) NOT one gram of muscle when ingested. Have you forgotten metabolic activity? Bodily functions that also need to use resources?

:confused:
It is not an estimate. I was trying to illustrate a point. Just that it would be possible to gain that weight, but only if he did crazy eating and was willing to gain mucho fat.

OF COURSE IT ISN'T. But you know muscle is made of mainly amino acids, then glicogen and water, do you?

Surely not. As I said, I was trying to make a point. Let's not even get started on complete and non complete proteins, proteins to aminoacids, partitiong, and all that bs.

What I tried to say was, for the last time: YES YOU CAN GAIN 40 POUNDS IN 4 MONTHS. If you allow getting fat and eat like it's your job.

btw, how long have you been lifting weighs and what is your sport, weightlifting, powerlifting or bodybuilding?

Call_Me_Daddy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Redux said:
It is not an estimate.
Either its an estimate, exact or completely wrong.

I was trying to illustrate a point. Just that it would be possible to gain that weight, but only if he did crazy eating and was willing to gain mucho fat.
What is wrong with you? Do you read what you type? What you posted before MADE NO SENSE. Get over it. More BS will not make it true by any means.

OF COURSE IT ISN'T. But you know muscle is made of mainly amino acids, then glicogen and water, do you??
Yes. So what? That's not part of the discussion even if it is true. You posted garbage before and that's what I'm arguing against.

What I tried to say was, for the last time: YES YOU CAN GAIN 40 POUNDS IN 4 MONTHS. If you allow getting fat and eat like it's your job.
If you get so fat from gining weight, chances are you're doing it wrong.

btw, how long have you been lifting weighs and what is your sport, weightlifting, powerlifting or bodybuilding?
My sport is rowing. However I go to the gym frequently and I study nutrition here at University. Nutrition and Neutraceuticals. Not the applied sh*t like at College.

And before some of you nuts fly off the handle, yes I did mention that I did Chemistry before. I switched majors.

Redux

Don Juan
Reaction score
You are starting to annoy me. Read my freakin lips.
All calories above maintenance (that is calories not used in basal metabolism and daily activities) are gonna be stored. End of discussion and if you don't agree you can start your major over.
Also, it is gonna be stored as muscle or fat. Excess calories are gonna be stored as muscle or fat. If you ahve a 50-50 partitioning ratio, then 50% of the above maintence calories you are going to put in are going to fat and 50% to muscle.
How does that not make sense?
Also, you failed to answer. What is your style of training most similar to (hypertrophy, speed-strength, limit strength) and fow how long have you been doing it?

Call_Me_Daddy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Redux said:
You are starting to annoy me. Read my freakin lips.
All calories above maintenance (that is calories not used in basal metabolism and daily activities) are gonna be stored.
No. Mucle is not storage. Its a stress response. Fat is storage. Muscle is not like fat in the respect that it cannot store amino acids. Its made of amino acids, but it does NOT store. The cells are physically unable to because of their structure.

You're so wrong I can't even mock you. Its pathetic.

Also, it is gonna be stored as muscle or fat. Excess calories are gonna be stored as muscle or fat. If you ahve a 50-50 partitioning ratio, then 50% of the above maintence calories you are going to put in are going to fat and 50% to muscle.
How does that not make sense?
It makes no sense because this mythical partitioning ratio doesn't exist. My body does not come with a dail where i can adjust the ration of fat to muscle I gain from excess calories. How my body stores fat and rebuilds muscle is based on metabolism, stress on muscle caused by weights, calories and WHERE the calories come from, enzyme activity, hormone levels.... and etc. There is no freaknig ratio. And chances are 100% that your body does not have a ratio either. You just made it up, and if you didn't you're a moron for believing in it.

Also, you failed to answer. What is your style of training most similar to (hypertrophy, speed-strength, limit strength) and fow how long have you been doing it?
The traning style the coach recomends is plenty of cardio to "build a base". I don't listen to her though.

I just do HIT 3 times a week and eat properly as best I can without going zany. I like to do low reps and sets. Low weight hhigh reps really pisses me off. It takes forever to make progress on that. So I do plenty of weight at around 5 reps per sot and adjust sets on exercises. Anywhere from 3 to 5 sets.