I want to gain a lot of weight

I Am Sam

Don Juan
Reaction score
Right now I weigh 150 lbs and am 5'11". For some reason, I can't gain weight at all. No matter HOW much I eat. My goal is to get to 190 lbs by the end of my senior year (next year)

I work out pretty consistently, at least 3 times a week... and I play sports all year round so I'm always getting cardio.

Previously, I've tried a high-protein eating plan but couldn't keep up with it.

So my question is, without getting on a custom diet, what foods can I eat will gain me the most weight? I'd like to keep my bodyfat down but don't mind gaining some fat, because I can cut it out once I get to the size I want.

Thanks

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Please post up your currently weekly training.

Also post up roughly what you eat every day, at every meal.

Also, how much cardio you do. Include all the sports you do and their intensity/duration.

Quagmire

I Am Sam

Don Juan
Reaction score
I have my workouts split up into leg and arm days... so

Arm day:
Flat bench - pyramid from bar until my 3-rep max, then back down
Curls
Shoulder shrugs
Inclined flies
Pullups
Dips
Sometimes I'll do lockouts

Leg day:
Squats
Weighted calf raises
Weighted step ups
Deadlift
Leg raises

I just try and work out whenever I can, and alternate between arm or leg days.

Right now I just eat pretty much everything. Cereal in the morning, an apple or banana, lots of water during the day, bagel and cream cheese or pizza for lunch, pasta, steak, more fruit, whatever really. I stay away from soda and most candy.

I also take multivitamins, fish oil (7000mg), and ZMA suppliments. I drink the occasional whey protein shake.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok, your goals are possible if you have decent enough genetics.

However you need to get on a set routine, and the diet needs a HELL OF A LOT OF WORK.

I can not stress this enough, there is no way you are going to get where you want to be eating cereal, bagels, pizza and pasta. You are either going to bust your ass and take my advice, or continue eating the way you have been. In which case you will make little to no progress.

For a routine I would do this:

http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=125444

Nice and simple, which is all you need at the moment.

For diet I would follow this:

http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=134782

Shakes are two scoops of whey+4raweggs+some water.
Beef can be chilli, bolognese, steak, meatballs. As long as it is roughly 50g worth of meat per meal.

My advice is too do the above and make a log on here. That way myself and others can help you along the road. This will not be easy, gaining 40 pounds is going to take a lot of hard work and dedication. You either make the decision to eat like the above, or you decide you can't at this time and look into something else.

Diet is THE most important thing in making weight gains. You must eat a s*** lot of protein, aiming for 300g a day at your current bw. You can eat a ****load of pizza etc, but then you will wind up at 190 with 30% bf...

Cardio should be something like HIIT twice a week for 15 minutes, rowing/elliptical etc. This is one minute hard, one minute easy and vice versa. On another two days do low intensity for 30-45 minutes, something like walking at a brisk pace or rowing/cycling.

Make a log and good luck,

Quagmire

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
fuck water ! you need to drink Lactose Free, low-fat or skim Organic Milk, with your whey.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Drum&Bass said:
fuck water ! you need to drink Lactose Free, low-fat or skim Organic Milk, with your whey.
Did you miss the raw eggs? :up:

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Macadamia nut oil tastes better and is a great mono like olive oil.

shaunuk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey Sam, Quagmire is spot on as always, listen to him because he knows what the fvck he's talking about.

You're wanting to gain a lot of muscle but it sounds like you want to do it without putting the effort in. Damn, don't we all WISH we could do that? :) Well few people can, so you need to eat mate, 3000cals a day, 300g of protein. You can get this protein with eggs, beef, tuna, chicken, other meats, whey etc..

The routine could also be a bit better, search around the board for posts by EFFORT, Quagmire, Warboss Alex et al for splitting up the routine. But if you're happy with it and making gains on your lifts, you can stick with it until your progress stalls :)

But the main thing is the diet mate, you're not going to add any muscle just eating bagels, ham sandwiches etc..

I Am Sam

Don Juan
Reaction score
Heh alright. Will look into the workouts.

But I don't wanna even try and get some special diet going on... it's not that I wont put the effort in, it's just that I split time with my parents, and I'm always chillin at friends houses or up boarding, it'd be impossible to keep up with a diet.

What I want to know is what foods are good for bulking? I hear eggs, beef, chicken, tuna... if I know what foods I should be eating, I can just make sure I eat a ****load of this stuff whenever I can. Better than what I'm doing now.

Damocles

Don Juan
Reaction score
If you want to gain a lot of weight, you have to eat a lot of food, and often.

It's the only way to do it. Eggs, beef, chicken, tuna, and nuts are good sources of protein... but you've got to eat a lot, and you've got to do it often. If you gain a pound or two a week, you're doing alright. Three pounds a week is pushing it, and four pounds a week will be mostly fat. You'll gain more at first, then it'll slow down. Even those first ten pounds could be hard to put on, if you're not used to eating to gain weight.

If you want to gain 40 lbs, you might have to eat until you feel like you could throw up a couple times a day, in addition to several "small" meals. 3000 calories might not even be enough. I'm a bit shorter than you, a bit older, and a bit heavier, and I eat around 2900 to 3500 calories a day, and I'm losing weight.

If you're serious about going from 150 to 190, you'll almost have to eat like it's a part time job.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Damocles said:
If you want to gain a lot of weight, you have to eat a lot of food, and often.
TRUE

Damocles said:
If you want to gain 40 lbs, you might have to eat until you feel like you could throw up a couple times a day, in addition to several "small" meals. 3000 calories might not even be enough.
FALSE

Damocles said:
I'm a bit shorter than you, a bit older, and a bit heavier, and I eat around 2900 to 3500 calories a day, and I'm losing weight.
Sounds like a personal problem.

Damocles said:
If you're serious about going from 150 to 190, you'll almost have to eat like it's a part time job.
FALSE

-Eat quality, protein dense food when your hungry.
-Eat Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and fit quality protein dense snacks in between (which is very EASY to do)
-Bulking is stupid, unless your trying to compete for something, Eat clean and gain muscle with minimal fat.

Damocles

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks, Chief.

http://exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html

OK, I ran some numbers for I am Sam on that calculator, I just guessed.

He needs about 3400 calories a day to maintain his mass... if he wants to gain weight, he'll have go over that by 250 to 500 calories a day... maybe more. It depends on how often he plays sports, trains that kind of thing.

Anyways, if you want a good way to track your diet, check out fitday.com. You can see how much you're eating, and you can see how much protein you're getting, how many carbs, how much fat... It's got a lot of useful calculators on there.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I Am Sam said:
No matter HOW much I eat. My goal is to get to 190 lbs by the end of my senior year (next year)
It is stupid, to try and reach a target weight within a certain amount of time.

The only way to truly gain weight (as in muscular weight) is with TIME. Your body will grow but don't try to force your gains or you will end up chubby. Stick to a good routine and proper eating habits and your body will grow !

There are far to many rookies and newbies who see there friends, read stories or see bodybuilders at a certain size and weight and think once they reach that weight they will look good and become strong. This is incorrect, the looks and size will come when your strength and power increase !!

Your goal should be to lift heavy and consistently increase the weight you lift, YOU SHOULD NOT be aiming to make weight.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Damocles said:

Pretty spot on for the majority of us.

I Am Sam

Don Juan
Reaction score
Drum&Bass said:
-Bulking is stupid, unless your trying to compete for something, Eat clean and gain muscle with minimal fat.
That's what I want to do, gain MUSCLE. Not fat. I guess I just need to eat that protein-rich food and work out a lot (like I do).

Damocles, I DON'T eat 2900-3500 calories a day right now, which might be why I'm staying at my current weight and even losing a little. You said to gain, I'll need 400 calories on top of that, so minimum 3300 cal's a day? Sheeiit.

Huffman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Damocles said:
Eggs, beef, chicken, tuna, and nuts are good sources of protein...
Pork not included for a reason? Just curious because us Krauts eat ****loads of pork ;)

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I Am Sam said:
That's what I want to do, gain MUSCLE. Not fat. I guess I just need to eat that protein-rich food and work out a lot (like I do).

Damocles, I DON'T eat 2900-3500 calories a day right now, which might be why I'm staying at my current weight and even losing a little. You said to gain, I'll need 400 calories on top of that, so minimum 3300 cal's a day? Sheeiit.
Yeah start off at 3300 see how that works

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
3400 calories to MAINTAIN 150 lbs?! Crazy. He likely could start gaining at around 2700-3000 at least for a while. I know I did at his weight.