I want to gain a lot of weight

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mrRuckus said:
3400 calories to MAINTAIN 150 lbs?! Crazy. He likely could start gaining at around 2700-3000 at least for a while. I know I did at his weight.
I figured his 3300 calorie day would actually come out to be in that calorie range you listed. If we told him 2700-3000 he'd probably fall short

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
EFFORT said:
I figured his 3300 calorie day would actually come out to be in that calorie range you listed. If we told him 2700-3000 he'd probably fall short
I remember what Warboss had me on when he was training me properly. I fell a good few meals short in the week yet still made fast, fast gains. I just couldn't eat anymore...

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I Am Sam said:
Damocles, I DON'T eat 2900-3500 calories a day right now, which might be why I'm staying at my current weight and even losing a little. You said to gain, I'll need 400 calories on top of that, so minimum 3300 cal's a day? Sheeiit.
it's stupid to try and count the number of calories your intaking daily, theres to many variables that affect your body

When I first started out I would keep track of my daily calories, but its a HUGE waste of time and effort, you'll just burn yourself out by becoming a psychotic fitness fanatic.

Eat when you feel hungry. Over time your training and (hopefully) healthy eating habits will take care of itself. Your body knows how much food it wants and needs to grow.

Having a certain eating routine will help as well, but unless your taking steroids and preparing for your next show, theres no need to stress about useless numbers.

Just try to eat close to 5 or 6 meals a day and make sure every meal has a decent amount of protein.

Don't make things more complicated than they need to be. STOP TRYING TO FORCE YOURSELF TO GET BIG !! just put it in work and its gonna happen, EASILY and you'll enjoy the whole bodybuilding experience a whole lot more.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Drum&Bass said:
it's stupid to try and count the number of calories your intaking daily, theres to many variables that affect your body

thats true that there lots of variables, its still worth the while for a period of time

When I first started out I would keep track of my daily calories, but its a HUGE waste of time and effort, you'll just burn yourself out by becoming a psychotic fitness fanatic.

That could happen if you go about it the wrong way. If you do it right it'll be a very good/educational experience for you. Its good to put in some time learning about nutritional values. If your anal for a period of time after that you'll be a lot better with estimating how much your getting in.

Eat when you feel hungry.

That doesn't cut it for most people, better to to eat by the clock

Over time your training and (hopefully) healthy eating habits will take care of itself. Your body knows how much food it wants and needs to grow.

Once you go through a process of being anal recording everything down you should have a better idea of how much you need to eat to grow, but if your not at that point you'll need to go through a phase when you eat by the clock.

Having a certain eating routine will help as well

yes i agree

, but unless your taking steroids and preparing for your next show, theres no need to stress about useless numbers.

No one is saying to stress about it

Just try to eat close to 5 or 6 meals a day and make sure every meal has a decent amount of protein.

yeah i like saying that too, only thing is most guys that don't gain weight have no clue about what a "decent amount" of protein is. One guy told me he gets lots of protein from his p&j sandwich

Don't make things more complicated than they need to be. STOP TRYING TO FORCE YOURSELF TO GET BIG !!

Not sure what you mean about this, your def not gaining size by sitting around not trying, you have to push the envelope to some extent

just put it in work and its gonna happen, EASILY and you'll enjoy the whole bodybuilding experience a whole lot more.

seems flawed, your saying to put in "work", yet the work to add size is eating big (learning to do that by counting cals, measuring food, sticking by the clock etc) which you seem to disagree with......lifting heavy, weights, sleeping etc
bold

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just read your comments EFFORT, and it probably would be a good idea for someone to go through the experience of calorie counting. I did it that way and learned, and I'm sure others have as well. Maybe as he gains more experience he won't need to do it, or maybe he might, either way its definitely a learning experience.

By forcing growth, I meant over eating and having some of the excess food get stored as fat.

I Am Sam

Don Juan
Reaction score
well damn guys thanks for all the replies

i hurt my back pretty bad squatting yesterday, going to chiropractor tomorrow. we'll see how that turns out.

but ive just been eating a ****load of meat, fruits, nuts, and taking all my fishoil, multivitamins, and zma

no gains at all (in the 2 days ive been trying :p) but yeah

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ease into it, and learn proper form.. Get a powerlifter or somebody experienced(personal trainer doesnt count) to show you through squats and deadlifts..

I'm sidelined right now from a back sprain, and from someone who's been there/done that... Work on form with LIGHT weight until its excellent, then progress.

And I'd also suggest building general muscular and cardiovascular conditioning for two or three weeks before starting squats or deadlifts. If your core isn't solid and stable, then your walking into a lions den with your pants around your ankles, so to speak.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
(personal trainer doesnt count)
What ?!?!?!?! why not ?? Dude EVERYBODY in a gym thinks there experienced and EVERYBODY in a gym thinks there a powerlifter, TALK to a personal trainer !!!! if you had done that in the 1st place I guarantee you would NOT have hurt your back !! he may not have forced you to go as low as possible but dude, your just starting out !

ALWAYS ASK TRAINED EMPLOYEES IN A GYM FOR ASSISTANCE DESPITE WHAT ANYONE TELLS YOU.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Drum&Bass said:
What ?!?!?!?! why not ?? Dude EVERYBODY in a gym thinks there experienced and EVERYBODY in a gym thinks there a powerlifter, TALK to a personal trainer !!!! if you had done that in the 1st place I guarantee you would NOT have hurt your back !! he may not have forced you to go as low as possible but dude, your just starting out !

ALWAYS ASK TRAINED EMPLOYEES IN A GYM FOR ASSISTANCE DESPITE WHAT ANYONE TELLS YOU.
Doesn't count in my place.They would have you doing a machine routine and using 12reps on your main exercise, maybe some squats to well above parallel using 20kg.

I have seen two trainers in my gym, one that was benching in the 60-80kg range and the other whom he said he has been training for 13 years, and myself in my short, limited lifting experience was stronger than him on pretty much everything. First time doing powercleans was with him and when I said lets add weight he said something about "nobody liking a smart alic" or something like that.

So yeh it depends on the qualifications I suppose. If someone told me they were WSB certified, or Poliquin certified, it would be a different story. The chances of that in the UK are slim to none. Here the personal trainer qualification involves aerobic classes and other gay **** like that. Yawn.

Ps-On the squat not everyone should go ass to grass initially though you are correct, many don't have the flexibility at the start and this causes undue stress onto the lower back. Probably box squatting right to where the problems start would be a good idea, until you can actually get down without your back rounding.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quagmire911 said:
Doesn't count in my place.They would have you doing a machine routine and using 12reps on your main exercise, maybe some squats to well above parallel using 20kg.
He wouldn't be asking for a routine, he would be asking how to perform an exercise safely.
Quagmire911 said:
I have seen two trainers in my gym, one that was benching in the 60-80kg range and the other whom he said he has been training for 13 years, and myself in my short, limited lifting experience was stronger than him on pretty much everything.
so what if your stronger than the personal trainers, what does that have to do with them helping members at the gym with their knowledge ??

its true I've heard stories of trainers who are out of shape but that does not mean they lack proper fitness knowledge.

Quagmire911 said:
So yeh it depends on the qualifications I suppose. If someone told me they were WSB certified, or Poliquin certified,
I have neither of those qualifications and 100% of ALL of my clients reach their goals without injury which is why I'm able to make a living off of what I do, and I'm for damn sure not the only one whose been successful without a WSB (what ever the hell that cert is) or Poliquin (who ever the hell that is). So what is the point of your comment ??

I Am Sam

Don Juan
Reaction score
Please don't argue on my account.

I work out at a school gym, so it's only the football coaches who watch us. But thanks for the advice on the trainer. 3pm appt. so we'll see how it goes.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The basic personal trainers you'd find in a commercial gym usually don't know much, due to the bs certs that are easy to pass (there exceptions of course)......... maybe there good for people that just want general health and don't have the ability to motivate themselves, other than that though seems like a money scam.

Based on a lot of the stuff you post here D&B, i'd be suprised if you were capable of getting a guy from 165lbs to 225+

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
EFFORT said:
Based on a lot of the stuff you post here D&B, i'd be suprised if you were capable of getting a guy from 165lbs to 225+
sure I can, its gonna be a combination of fat and muscle if someone wanted to make weight faster than there body was able to handle.
oh yea but I forgot...you have the internet and the power to magically add 60 lbs of muscle to anyone in 6 weeks if they send you a PM or read your posts.

If a person is building lean muscle, it takes time, if they had the money to train with me for a few years then yea 60 lbs of muscle is as easy as anything, granted the person wanting to reach 225lbs of lean muscle had the genetic potential to do so.

theres no complicated rocket science to getting big and strong. Eat right, lift heavy, practice good habits and OVER TIME you will gain muscle weight.
EFFORT said:
The basic personal trainers you'd find in a commercial gym usually don't know much, due to the bs certs that are easy to pass (there exceptions of course)......... maybe there good for people that just want general health and don't have the ability to motivate themselves, other than that though seems like a money scam.
Only an ignorant person would think the way you do. It's definitely NOT a scam because if your unable to produce the results that the client wants your not gonna be training that client for very long.

Good trainers get clients and keep them happy. How do you keep your clients happy and staying with you, by getting them results, just because you were educated through the "I visit Bodybuilding forums So now I think I'm a somebody" cert' doesn't mean that you are any better or worse than a personal trainer who may or may not have gotten a quality formal certification.

Last edited:

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Drum&Bass said:
Good trainers get clients and keep them happy. How do you keep your clients happy and staying with you, by getting them results, just because you were educated through the "I visit Bodybuilding forums So now I think I'm a somebody" cert' doesn't mean that you are any better or worse than a personal trainer who may or may not have gotten a quality formal certification.
How do you know that's how he learned? I've gained SUBSTANTIALLY from his routine and diet.

And most trainers i meet aren't big and it seems like to me they want to rip you off when you can learn all the information yourself for free. Although if i wanted to be Ronnie coleman, than yeah, i'd like an expert powerlifting coach. Not some personal trainer at the the local Planet fitness gym.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I-tallionStallion said:
And most trainers i meet aren't big and it seems like to me they want to rip you off when you can learn all the information yourself for free.
If you can learn all the information for yourself DO IT ! no ones forcing you or anyone to hire a trainer.

With a trainer you safely learn from a hands on approach with someone encouraging you to do better. not to mention a trainer is on call to answer any of your questions when you need. Its an honest genuine service that people who want to learn about fitness can pay for. If you were able to learn a few things on your own then thats super look in the mirror and kiss your own ass cause no one really cares.

I-tallionStallion said:
if i wanted to be Ronnie coleman, than yeah, i'd like an expert powerlifting coach. Not some personal trainer at the the local Planet fitness gym.
there are personal trainers for everyone. One trainer may not be able to properly guide someone for a specific task while another trainer can. Thats why there are different levels and qualifications for certifications

Its funny how your quick to voice your opinions and then at the very end of it all you AGREE THAT HIRING A TRAINER TO REACH A CERTAIN GOAL IS AN OPTION YOU WOULD TAKE ?? what are you crying about ??
I-tallionStallion said:
I've gained SUBSTANTIALLY from his routine and diet.
Thats cute but ANY generally recognized routine for strength training and sports nutrition would have worked.

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Drum&Bass said:
If you were able to learn a few things on your own then thats super look in the mirror and kiss your own ass cause no one really cares.
Always upbeat and insulting aren't you?

Drum&Bass said:
Its funny how your quick to voice your opinions and then at the very end of it all you AGREE THAT HIRING A TRAINER TO REACH A CERTAIN GOAL IS AN OPTION YOU WOULD TAKE ?? what are you crying about ??
Wow, what the heck are you talking about? Who the hell is crying? I JUST said it 'SEEMED' like REGULAR TRAINERS ARE trying to rip you off, I don't think you 'need' a trainer for general fitness. Most of it is common sense.

Drum&Bass said:
Thats cute but ANY generally recognized routine for strength training and sports nutrition would have worked.[/B]
...that's a retarded comment. Certain ones work way better than others. Maybe yeah, they would work eventually , but i want fast results. I don't want to waste time eating 150 grams of protein a day and 3000 calories for bulking. I've seen many widely general routines that are s***. Just cause its general/commerical, doesn't make it good.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you want to be a food processing machine: stay active (don't sit), do cardio/conditioning, and finish your meals off with veggies, esp green vegetables. You will get hungry often.

I Am Sam

Don Juan
Reaction score
wow ladies... stop arguing. or close this thread or something.
this is sad all i wanted was tips on how to gain and now its spiraled off.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I Am Sam said:
wow ladies... stop arguing. or close this thread or something.
this is sad all i wanted was tips on how to gain and now its spiraled off.
Welcome to the HnF :)

Listen to Warboss Alex (if he ever gets that book done!!) , EFFORT, throttle, quagmire, quiksilver, wolf116, and MrRuckus. Alotta good info these guys have.