I want to be RICH and SUCCESSFUL in Australia

Rudy_TubeSteak

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Lately I've been really fascinated by wealth creation and especially people who know how to get rich. I want to retire young AND rich. I want to make a commitment to this ASAP but I seem to have dug a hole for myself which is just a minefield for dilemmas and heartaches. Ok here we go.

I am 21 (22 soon) and study teaching in uni. I have roughly 18months to finish a 4 year course. Its taking me a long while to finish it because I've been failing because I don't know what I'm doing and had little sense of purpose. I love going to uni but in the back of my head I feel as though I'd be draggin myself down with teaching as it is not my passion. (I've been searching for my passion but teaching doesnt seem to be one). I want to be successful but I feel that many things are pulling me back.

Ok I know I can apply myself if I want something so bad. I wanted money to pay off college accomodation and a laptop and now I've got myself 3 hectic jobs which gives me roughly $500-600 PLUS student allowance of over $100 per week. Not bad huh. I've been reading flat out on books on Real Estate, Property Developing, Rich Dad Series etc. I had ZERO $$$ at last month now I've got about $2K. Shhhhweeet...

These are the good bits:
-I have my OWN car and other things basic for everyday living (both at home and in uni)
-I am single and have no deep desire to get hitched up or get married in a huff
-I am young, willing and bright eyed (dont know if this is entirely a good thing)
-I have a very deep interest in making money in Real Estate, Property development.
-On the road to self-improvement
-Good looking and physically active
-I dont have an expensive taste on material things. Im no bargain demon yet not a big spender. I'm more a practical man.
-Keen for designing things and manual stuff. Good with my hands. (you guys seen property ladder with the developing and renovations…that would be sweet)

These are my setbacks:
-I am 21, no credit, no job and no previous full time employment
-Nearly finishing uni but pretty scared about gettin a job as a teacher. I just wish I could restart and erase the past 4 years but I've gone so far and seems the best thing to do is finish my course.
-Heavy inner games problems. I'm trying to fix this at the moment so stay tuned
-My family doesn't support me. Makes me feel guilty for what I'm doing. Reminds me that my cousins live in the slums while I waste perfectly good opportunity from uni.
-My dad cuts me down so bad when I tell him I have big dreams. I want to make big plans but he says I've wasted my life going to uni when I should have got stuck in the mines. Blah Blah Blah. We had a block of flats returning a MASSIVE 25% but he got sick of minding them and fixing little things so he sold it for around $90K. A year later its valued at over $230K. Although I did all the massive work towards them, he didn’t seem to give a sh*t about what I wanted and What I could have done.
-Uni Lifestyle is my personal,spiritual and physical growth. I'd love to still stay there while making my wealth but I can't have everything. At the meantime I am appealing to the uni bosses from kicking me out because of failing an important subject that could put an end to all the hardwork Ive put in the past 3-4 years. Its a b*stard.
-Under so much emotional stress from a lot of pressure from family, uni, friends girls and work
-I get VERY optimistic and need a reality check...But What is Reality and who gets to make it happen...I dunno I'll probably disappoint myself and end up hurting myself pretty bad.
-I live in a mining town (pop 26K) being rich here can sometimes result in a crappy lifestyle. Just ask my friends who spend $500 on alcohol because they can afford it and its FUN!!!
-I can start anything with great enthusiasm and passion but then 'lose breath' and fail. A major weakness Id do anything to fix.
-Im really tired of putting so much effort and seeing so much progress only for it to just crash so BADLY….e.g.my dreams, uni, relationships…I really hate this
-See things and instantly seeing it as being easy to do but when I get to the actual thing….theres a totally different story

Phew that was a long one....now lets cut to the chase

1. I need advice on what to do on my current situation with UNI, FAMILY, JOB and lifestyle. Especially in regards to teaching. Im so far in to it but having heavy doubts. It’s like a massive bank debt that I don’t want but I’ve gotta keep on paying it because its nearly finish.

2. I need guidance on how to create wealth in Australia in regards to economy, taxes and opportunities. I'm talking about real estate and other forms of passive income. (but I dont want to be one of those investor gurus who spit $$$ mumbo jumbo stock market sh*t 24-7. I want to have my lifestyle too) To generally get out of the rat race.

Kaptain

Don Juan
Reaction score
Stay in uni.

If you quit uni now you have just spent alot of time and money. If you complete your degree you it is an investment. Being a teacher, if only for a short time, can can you anywhere, even around the world (Australia Teaching degrees a very highly thought of).

Think about the feeling of FINISHING something big. That will take the wind right out of the sails of the nockers.

donjuan87

Don Juan
Reaction score
All of those rich entrepreneurs had big dreams, and so do you. DO NOT quit the uni, stick with it. Working the mines is no life I would ever want.

No one believed in many of the rich, successful, self-made men when they were starting out, and look at them now.

Keep at it.

apluspimp

Reaction score
Motivation is key, seems like you got it

Well not to burst your bubble but the info Kiyosaki puts in his books is way off. The Rich Dad series has many flaws heres a site that will explain more

http://www.johntreed.com/Kiyosaki.html

Becoming rich like they say in the Rich Dad series is very unlikely, the books are used to motivate people.

Starting in real estate investment is hard, and its not like they say in the book. What you need to do if you want to get into real estate is to learn as much as you can by reading legitimate texts, and making contacts.

Reading can explain alot, but going out and meeting other real estate investors and talking to them about what works and what doesn't is the best way. Thats how I learned.

I also suggest you highly stay with the uni, thats very important, and i don't think i need to tell you the reasons why.

pimpfromdayone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The only advice I can offer is:
It takes money to make money.

You should finish uni and become a teacher first of all. You will then have much better money with which to invest in your business plans. You can work on business in your spare time until you get to the point where you can support yourself on the new business income. There are people on here who claim they went straight from $2k to wealth and it's easy to do, but they're all full of shi-t. I have very limited knowledge of real estate but you need good credit or cash or SOMETHING before you go doing the big deals that will make you rich. Everything requires a pretty big initial investment. You're almost done with uni anyway though right? I mean, I'm eventually going to get deeper into business, but not until I have a good job to support myself in case things don't work out.

OzyBoy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by pimpfromdayone
The only advice I can offer is:
It takes money to make money.
Thats so true. At the beginning you are wandering how the hell do i get a good paying job. Answer - you need a lot of money. I'm going to be saving up a lot of money this year to get some more qualifications so i can get a good paying job. Maybe be my own boss one day and get paid ****loads. :)

Create Reality

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rudy_TubeSteak
These are my setbacks:
-I am 21, no credit, no job and no previous full time employment

--Get a credit card

-Nearly finishing uni but pretty scared about gettin a job as a teacher. I just wish I could restart and erase the past 4 years but I've gone so far and seems the best thing to do is finish my course.

--Never believe this. You can always cut your losses at a better opportunity to make more then what your teaching job would provide. But unless you do make it big, stick with your teaching path, it is one of the better jobs in this world. Plus the world needs good teachers.

-Heavy inner games problems. I'm trying to fix this at the moment so stay tuned

--Sure

-My family doesn't support me. Makes me feel guilty for what I'm doing. Reminds me that my cousins live in the slums while I waste perfectly good opportunity from uni.

--It sucks to have little if any support from your family. What can you do to resolve this situation?

-My dad cuts me down so bad when I tell him I have big dreams. I want to make big plans but he says I've wasted my life going to uni when I should have got stuck in the mines. Blah Blah Blah. We had a block of flats returning a MASSIVE 25% but he got sick of minding them and fixing little things so he sold it for around $90K. A year later its valued at over $230K. Although I did all the massive work towards them, he didn’t seem to give a sh*t about what I wanted and What I could have done.

--See above

-Uni Lifestyle is my personal,spiritual and physical growth. I'd love to still stay there while making my wealth but I can't have everything. At the meantime I am appealing to the uni bosses from kicking me out because of failing an important subject that could put an end to all the hardwork Ive put in the past 3-4 years. Its a b*stard.

--Schooling and wealth-building do not mix pleasantly. While school teaches you to be career oriented, the path to wealth is a bit more risky. It's more pressure on you to balance out two different lifestyles in a single day. Learn what you can from school, and take your knowledge and apply it to your wealth-building strategies. But always have the job to fall back on in case things don't work out.

-Under so much emotional stress from a lot of pressure from family, uni, friends girls and work

--Try taking vitamins and minerals. If you want any info on that PM me.

-I get VERY optimistic and need a reality check...But What is Reality and who gets to make it happen...I dunno I'll probably disappoint myself and end up hurting myself pretty bad.

--I suppose your reality is the one that lets you determine if it's disappointing or not, eh? :)

-I live in a mining town (pop 26K) being rich here can sometimes result in a crappy lifestyle. Just ask my friends who spend $500 on alcohol because they can afford it and its FUN!!!

--When you're rich you can MOVE! :D

-I can start anything with great enthusiasm and passion but then 'lose breath' and fail. A major weakness Id do anything to fix.

--You'll find the test of time will determine your enthusiasm for things.

-Im really tired of putting so much effort and seeing so much progress only for it to just crash so BADLY….e.g.my dreams, uni, relationships…I really hate this

--Everything is gonna be all goood if you follow my advice

-See things and instantly seeing it as being easy to do but when I get to the actual thing….theres a totally different story

--It's easy to think.

Flyer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
wanna improve your inner game?

read:

Napolean Hill - Think and Grow Rich

even the 1st chapter will help you alot.

best of luck.

Rudy_TubeSteak

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Anyone here in Australia who is young and made it big? I love to take up the challenge. I would also like to hear from like minded people.

By the way I've got plenty of books like you mentioned. But most of the finance/get rich books are for much older people 35+ and hardly for anyone around the 20+ age bracket.

At the moment I am mad keen on getting heaps of experience. I've just finshed up my job working for a pizza joint (everything to do with the shop). I am a yardie AND a bartender at my local nightclub. I also work at the bottled water factory. Im also looking to get a security license to work as a security/bouncer but I'm a bit scared because I am only 60+kgs. But I do hold up very well for my weight. I play rugby and do kickboxing.

I am looking for a job at SES (state emergency service - volunteer) to get a bit of experience or maybe something unknown thats positive will pop up out of nowhere.

The bottomline is, I am keen to gather up as many experience and skill as possible. I really dont think I see myself becoming a teacher. I want to break into doing property developing or something lucrative but I think its my "dreamyboy" eyes working flat out.

By the way how do I get a credit card if I dont have a full time job?

pimpfromdayone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I guess if you want credit, you gotta buy stuff first. That's basically how it works.

Rudy_TubeSteak

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
F*ck yea I've just made around $3k in as fastest time as possible...So that'll pay for my laptop and the rest for my college fees.

With my laptop that will be my Wealth Creation window to all the opportunity. I am getting a lot of audiobooks, ebooks and games of wealth creation. I might even dabble on house and renovation designing using a program.

As many of you guys would have read, this laptop loses in value over time. But with me I am using it to educate myself so therefore it is actually an assest that gains value not in itself but gains leverage for me.

Also it allows me to be more flexible and mobile because I used to have a desktop and I've wasted so much time f*cking around with it and carrying it into places (time IS money). I am also downsizing so my place is more a visual sanctuary and less clutter so I can relax a bit more easily.

Anyway I still would like to see more younger people being really inrested in being rich and successful.

Also what's the best credit card I could get? FOr my age and situation (no job, 21 and in uni)

Bhekizwe

Don Juan
Reaction score
Finish your degree first.You' ve already gone far enough for you to quit now.Besides you will be quiting things which at the moment you arent 100% clear on attaining

The rich Dad series are good but even the greats like King Solomon of the Holy Bible advocated for a man to acquire knowledge above choice gold.

Jesus also said acquire that which cannot be stolen away from you(knowledge=your degree) or that which moths cannot settle on and cause decay.

A tertiary qualification will give you stability in your life.Go for it.

Controlfreak

Don Juan
Reaction score
Here is your plan for making money!

Remember there is no get quick rich schemes so dont expect it to be easy or quick (but it will be fun).

To get rich you need capital - so here is how to get it.

It will take approx 10 - 15 years before you are a free man

1 Stay in Uni and Finish your Degree.

2 While at Uni work in the mines in your spare time (I understand these guys get paid very well) and save what you can.

3 Once you have finished Uni get some teaching work experience, say around 2 years. Save what you can

4 After some solid work experience. Start looking into overseas work visas (i.e UK, Singapore etc) lets just say UK.

Demand for teachers is good in the UK, they pay good rates, but more importantly

a) while in the UK you can travel the world and experience new and different things and not to mention the women

b) any money you save will be multiplied 2.5 time when converted back to AUS$

5 once your UK visa runs out, apply for somewhere else i.e time to move to Ireland? Singapore etc (most places will accept temporary visas until you turn 28) and keep repeating until you have exausted all options.

You can now move back to Australia

With the benefit of

1) saved enough money to put a substantial deposit on a property, which you can use now or later (when you have greater equity) to invest in a business etc

2) Travelled the world and expanded your knowledge, which will provide a wealth of "business ideas"

3) have stories to tell your mates, girlfriend etc on how you hooked up with a hottie while travelling through sweeden

4) have experienced the world and have a better idea on what you really want in life, be mature enough to be able to see it through and wont feel like you are "stuck" in something when you want to experience more of the world and life. (because you have already experienced more than most)

There is your plan

splinterkb

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd say the easiest way would be to fight dingo's. I would pay a lot of money to see that.

FRëSHURE

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Controlfreak
Here is your plan for making money!

Remember there is no get quick rich schemes so dont expect it to be easy or quick (but it will be fun).

To get rich you need capital - so here is how to get it.

It will take approx 10 - 15 years before you are a free man

1 Stay in Uni and Finish your Degree.

2 While at Uni work in the mines in your spare time (I understand these guys get paid very well) and save what you can.

3 Once you have finished Uni get some teaching work experience, say around 2 years. Save what you can

4 After some solid work experience. Start looking into overseas work visas (i.e UK, Singapore etc) lets just say UK.

Demand for teachers is good in the UK, they pay good rates, but more importantly

a) while in the UK you can travel the world and experience new and different things and not to mention the women

b) any money you save will be multiplied 2.5 time when converted back to AUS$

5 once your UK visa runs out, apply for somewhere else i.e time to move to Ireland? Singapore etc (most places will accept temporary visas until you turn 28) and keep repeating until you have exausted all options.

You can now move back to Australia

With the benefit of

1) saved enough money to put a substantial deposit on a property, which you can use now or later (when you have greater equity) to invest in a business etc

2) Travelled the world and expanded your knowledge, which will provide a wealth of "business ideas"

3) have stories to tell your mates, girlfriend etc on how you hooked up with a hottie while travelling through sweeden

4) have experienced the world and have a better idea on what you really want in life, be mature enough to be able to see it through and wont feel like you are "stuck" in something when you want to experience more of the world and life. (because you have already experienced more than most)

There is your plan
awesome post.

reyalp

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
there's money everywhere, get your piece of the pie

manuva

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by splinterkb
I'd say the easiest way would be to fight dingo's. I would pay a lot of money to see that.
LMAO Awesome post.

Key to making money:

Work hard.

Recognize opportunities to create wealth.

Work hard.

Have the balls to pursue the opportunities you identify.

Work hard.

reyalp

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Right on. I can't tell you how many opportunities I've missed because I wasn't prepared.

As Mark Twain says:
"I find that the harder I work, the luckier I become."

In some movie the chick's mom said "Luck is when preparation meets opportunity," she's absolutely right.

Right now I'm working a six-fig job in a niche market, I would have never got into it if I hadn't had $5K in the bank when the hurricanes made landfall last year. Before this I was making $40K a year.
I've got a couple of other niche markets I'm going to explore, they have initial investments of ~$10-15K cash, but the same six-figure potential.
Ideally I'd like to have 3 of these niche markets lined up, as my current job is seasonal and the 2 gigs I'm looking into are not.

So work hard bro.