I speak to you from experience...

Smooth as Anything

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It takes a very strong man to endure the consequences of his actions. At every corner there is an exit ramp, an escape to be made. Opportunities to exit this plateau make themselves abundantly obvious. Leaving this state of mind is but a hit away. Our options are unlimited and our consequences are infinitesimal. None of that matters, anyway, though. All that is relevant is that nagging reality: the idea that what you do has an effect; that you will have to live with the results of your actions. You can run away from it, just like everyone else has. Or you can beat yourself up, cry in the night while your family sleeps, and realize how ****ing bad your life has become. That is when you make it better. You cannot make it better by running from it.

It takes a very strong man to resist the temptation to act on emotion. People and events will make you feel, but feelings persuade you to act irrationally. A real man is utterly logical, utterly decisive and pragmatic. A real man is bluntly impartial. Many may think their own way, but it is true that only your way matters. Problems arise, and people will instigate conflict. A real man is perfectly conscious of his mortality, and reacts in the only truly reasonable and logical way: with apathy.

There should be no limit to your honesty, to your frankness, to the blunt reality that we should all experience. In its brutal tragedies, it’s tragic horrors, and its beautiful climaxes: life should be embraced to the absolute fullest. Take your damn blindfold off. Let it fly away. Take your damn rose colored glasses off. Be truly cynical.

You’ll never know who you are until you’ve seen your limits. See how long you can go without eating. See how much fat you can lose. See how much muscle you can put on. See how long you can study. See how far you can run before you give-up. Fight until your knuckles break and your mind is withered. Never give-up, never surrender, and death before dishonor. Finding your limits is all about finding how to break them. Shatter your limits.

Never forget why you started, and force yourself to keep in mind why you continue. The pain, the suffering, the depression, the tears, the apprehension – they are all the reason you’re here today, fighting for what’s rightfully yours. Never forget why you started, but never let it define how you proceed. Failure does not propagate failure. Failure plants the seed of anger in the strong. How can you be so foolish, so weak, and so pathetic? Failure should make you prove yourself wrong.

Leave behind all who disrespect you, mistreat you or even step on your toes. Everyone is but dust in the wind. Until you can prove to yourself that anyone outside of yourself exists, you have no justifiable reason to believe that they do. Respect the imaginary creatures or manipulate them? Always do what is in your best interests, and never slow down for anyone.

Do not become so emotionally involved with anyone or anything, that they have the ability to discourage you, sadden you or otherwise hurt you in any shape, way or form. Emotional commitment is for the weak. The weak get left behind. The strong succeed.

Sammo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Awesome

One of the most inspirational posts i have read in a long time! Great work man.

Reminds me of a quote:

"Take your life in your own hands and what happens? A terrible thing: noone is to blame." - Erica Jong

Good to see ya around again.

LikRetsam

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I stumbled upon this way of thought a few weeks ago and have been since wondering how to put it into words for everyone else.

This is amazing. Purely amazing. This is the first document I am printing out to hang high on my wall.

TinyFzzyKiwi

Don Juan
Reaction score
See how far you can run before you give-up

A looooooonnnggggg time apparently

reminds me of something my old soccer coach told me

"it's all in your mind" or something along those lines.

Also makes me think of something someone else told me

"it's all about you"

definatly very good and insperational

Biphoria

Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't know how you guys do it, but everytime I read one of your posts or Lik's I feel this awe inspiring sense of purpose.

This is AMAZING!!!

To the top, where this belongs!

strong like bull

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
excellent

Alexis Zorba

Don Juan
Reaction score
WOW!

Just when depression was the center of my life, this post appeared to kick my behind. How did I sink so low? It doesn't matter, I've risen now. The world is mine...

By the way, someone has been reading too much Ayn Rand lately huh?

Excelent post Smooth!

Smooth as Anything

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You kids need this... bump.

Void

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
this is inspirational. man i just got dumped today and i'm feeling inspired. wow.

LikRetsam

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Never forget why you started, but never let it define how you proceed.

Missed that little gem the first time around.

hacx

Don Juan
Reaction score
nice post!!!!!!!!!

JSH

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Smooth as Anything

It takes a very strong man to resist the temptation to act on emotion. People and events will make you feel, but feelings persuade you to act irrationally. A real man is utterly logical, utterly decisive and pragmatic. A real man is bluntly impartial. Many may think their own way, but it is true that only your way matters. Problems arise, and people will instigate conflict. A real man is perfectly conscious of his mortality, and reacts in the only truly reasonable and logical way: with apathy.

Do not become so emotionally involved with anyone or anything, that they have the ability to discourage you, sadden you or otherwise hurt you in any shape, way or form. Emotional commitment is for the weak. The weak get left behind. The strong succeed.
I like the post and in some ways its similar to my views, especially on pushing your limits. However, I disagree on the theory that a real man is utterly logical, utterly decisive and pragmatic. That was seen as the ideal man in ancient Greece, but was charicatured even in Tragedy as being a flawed ideal, witness the fate of the hero Theseus in Hippolytus. A balance of both emotion and reason is needed to temper the spirit. Whilst in a man i would agree that reason should be the overriding force, i disagree that it should be the only force.

Again i disagree with the idea of not becomming emotionally involved with anyone or anything; this was an idea that i became attached to when i first came on the board, going so far as to shut everyone i cared about out of my life.
I can see why it is sensible, but i can no longer see why one would want it. If you can not feel what is there left to live for, witness the doomed character in Tommorrow Never Dies. The strong do succeed, but i would say i am stronger in my love and lust for life annd everyone. My step is stronger every morning and my bound out of bed the more vigourous as i zest to be out. When i was apathetic, i viewed life as a weary chore.

The more you love and the more you feel the capacity to be hurt, the more human you are. But the capacity to be hurt should be tempered with reason.

The last paragraph of your post seems to be the natural flight response of a wounded animal.

MetalFortress

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What a load of crap. This is the kind of garbage that misleads men into thinking that real manhood is about being a cold, unfeeling robot. WROOOONG!

I'm ashamed for every one of you KJ's who's blowing rainbows up this guy's rear end for writing such a bad post.

What good is the hunt if you can't ENJOY THE FEAST? What good is success if you DON'T CARE ABOUT IT ANYMORE? What good is killing negative emotions if you KILL YOUR POSITIVE EMOTIONS TOO?

ENJOY LIFE!!! Take a risk, even a calculated one! Put your heart or ego on the line! Don't dwell on failures, because you should be too busy ENJOYING LIFE to do so!!! Don't listen to this KJ and be a cold, calculating idiot who can't enjoy life!

"There should be no limit to your honesty, to your frankness, to the blunt reality that we should all experience"

Here's my blunt reality for you: Your post sucks, and any idiot who says it should be in the Bible is either a KJ, an idiot, or needs to be kicked.

Footnote: You make some good points in here, but the parts you do screw up suck so bad, they drag your entire post down to the level of suck.

Geesh, I'm sick of all these lame wannabe philosophers. You are all just posers.

aBAzLLnA

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
^ Agreed.

Only good point in the post is "leave behind all who disrespect you...", and the rest is just fluffed up garbage. OK writing, but you've totally overdramatized it.

Sorry, it's just too cheesy!