how to increase ones own drive/self motivation.

OddManOut85

Don Juan
Reaction score
from what ive read on this site,is it seems that not only are women attracted to the guy with the drive,motivation,passion,etc,but those are the people who in general succeed and do well in life.and i think thats part of the problem.ive always had trouble lighting a fire under my arse.i always had.procrastination has been a problem for me,even since i was a kid.so what can i do to motivate myself? i have set some goals for myself,its now a matter of taking them and putting them into action.heres pretty much what life is like: work,when not working,at home moping around,like i am now,or chilling with freinds.this has been the cycle for some time now.what can i do to break it? what has worked for you? i mean,some people just naturally seem to have that drive.how do you improve upon it?

john_1234

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
the fact that you're still young should motivate you. visualize yourself ten years from now doing exactly what you're doing now. you definitely do not want to be in that position. that should motivate you to move on to bigger and better things.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Break down all of you major goals into smaller, more manageable goals or sub-tasks. Focus on those tasks and your larger goals won't seem as daunting. Also hold off sidestepping into your distractions until you have accomplished at least some of your smaller goals.

Wiesman44

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quote:

If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life. With confidence, you have won even before you have started.
Author: Marcus Garvey

Quote: It's lack of faith that makes people afraid of meeting challenges, and I believe in myself.
Author: Muhammad Ali 1942-, American Boxer

Quote: Winning breeds confidence and confidence breeds winning.
Author: Hubert Green American Golfer

Quote: Self-confidence is the first requisite to great undertakings.
Author: Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author

Great Quotes. Perhaps this helps ????

The Truth

Banned
Reaction score
I've always been very highly motivated and have found it really easy to achieve my goals. But lately I'm feeling quite unmotivated and have caught myself wasting a lot of time doing nothing.

I figured that my reason is because I haven't actually set myself any goals to aim for. I left my job a while ago and I've been taking a time out, considering new career paths and I honestly don't know where I'm heading. So I'd say the most important thing is to set yourself goals to aim for. Something I'm doing right now.

yngad

Don Juan
Reaction score
the thing that helps me is just doing one small thing. right now i'm starting a business and i get busy w/ school, my other job, friends, etc but i always have a goal of doing one thing for the day. it could be something small like type up a letter, write an email, send my business card design to the printer, etc. and eventually over time something big will come out of it. over the last month i've been amazed by how much stuff i've gotten done. hope that helps

Delta

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
motivation, goals... interesting words. break it down.

WHAT DO YOU WANT?

if what you really want is to just lay about and not do anything, then your actions may indeed be contributing to fulfilling that goal.

and hey, that might be completely VALID! maybe that's what you want out of life right now.

if it is NOW though, you also have to remember that you'll have to live with the consequences when you're older.
------------------------------------------------------------------
SIDE NOTE:

this is the thing about life though - there are STAGES in life and there are opportunities in certain stages that don't exist in other stages or gets MUCH MUCH RARER! easy example is JOB OPPORTUNITY - if you have any intention on being wealthy, that's gotta start early if at all! it takes a long time and if you're 50, you may have missed the boat on the wealth thing.

THERE IS SUCH A THING AS MISSING THE BOAT(s) (opportunities). don't miss them.
----------------------------------------------------------

so the key is identifying what you want.

not what other people tell you you should want. or what your folks tell you you SHOULD do. WHAT DO YOU WANT? and if you identify something you want, YOU WANT TO GET IT RIGHT? instant fire under your a$$.

if you are completely satisfied with your state in life, then your motivation would rightly be zero.

but if there are things that you want that you don't have, MAKE A LIST OF EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO DO TO GET IT...

...and THEN DO IT!

i think another reason why people don't apply themselves sometimes is that they have early experiences of not getting what they wanted no matter how hard they tried.

but most of the times, these kinds of things can be avoided by carefully considering what it actually takes to accomplish or get something. sometimes, the first step is getting educated on what it REALLY TAKES!

and as a man, it is vital that you start becoming a person that never whines about not having something.

it's gotta become like robotic or something - you want something, identify what it takes, do it, get it.
------------------------------------------------------------

first step - WHAT DO YOU WANT?

delta