How do YOU handle the "I have a boyfriend" line

Masculinity

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Most of us have been there, a girl is really into you, giving eye contact, laughing at the not-so-funny things that you're saying and when you go for the number close, she suddenly "has a boyfriend."

I have a few ways to diffuse the situation and have successfully have gotten girls to hook up anyway. It turns out, some didn't have boyfriends at all and were just giving a sh!t test. I'm curious to know, how do you all diffuse this situation in a witty, playful, or just awesome way?

El Payaso

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"My dog took a dump this morning. Oh, I thought we were talking about things that didn't matter".

Keiz

Don Juan
Reaction score
"Did I fkin stutter?!", "Okey... but what's your number?" usually works for me. Even if they have a bf.

Rainman4707

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I read on here somewhere a little exchange :-

ME: You are my new girlfriend!
HB8: (smiles) But I already have a boyfriend!
ME: Really? How long have you had that problem?
HB8: (Laughs) He is a bit of a pain, but I love him!
ME: Hey, thats great! So when is the wedding?
HB8: (Laughs) We're not engaged!
ME: So you are technically up for grabs then (I squeeze her shoulder)
HB8 (Giggles) Not really
ME: How about if I ask you to marry me right now?
HB8: But I don't even know you!
ME: Well, we'll have to do something about that won't we?
HB8: (In shock) Who do you think you are?
ME: God's gift to the universe.
HB8: (cracks up) Yeah right!

LMFAO

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"That's fine, tell him I'm your cute gay friend who you have a platonic relationship with.. and share baths with"

Onion

Don Juan
Reaction score
You walkaway, simple. If it's a sh!t test she'll comeback to you, if not then you have your dignity and pride intact. Either way a win win situation. Why would you want to inflict hurt on some dude who probably has this world built around this girl? any girl?

Keiz

Don Juan
Reaction score
Onion, we're not here to please other guys. We do this to please ourselves, simple as that. We can't help it if the guy falls in love with a girl he can't manage...

Onion

Don Juan
Reaction score
Keiz said:
Onion, we're not here to please other guys. We do this to please ourselves, simple as that. We can't help it if the guy falls in love with a girl he can't manage...
...and then you'll be the first to accuse her/girls of infidelity, cheating, lack of honor, integrity etc etc. The sheer hypocrisy here is sometimes breathtaking! Are we not encouraging women to behave this way if we pursue them while we know they have a boyfriend? How would you like it if someone sleeps with your GF?

RangerMIke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I ignore it.

All women have at least 'some' beta orbiter she is claiming as some kind of a BF. The fact she has a BF tells you NOTHING about her current attraction level she might have for her guy. They might be slipping and she's really just hanging on out of habit. This is the nature of women, often times she will say she has a BF because she thinks it makes her more attractive... it's a test of your interest.

A confident man is not going to be concerned with competition. To a confident man a BF is nothing but another rooster in the hen house. Unless she is engaged she's fair game.

Next week I have a second date with a woman who floated out the "I have a boyfriend" line on our first date. I totally ignored that and kept running my game. SHe never mentioned it again and I didn't ask.

Asked her out again a couple weeks later... she said she couldn't make it, so I nexted her.

This week she sent me a text message asking how things were going, I called her back and said I wanted to see her again and asked if she was free for dinner next Wednesday. She said, "Didn't I tell you I had a BF.", I said, "I didn't ask you about that, I asked if you were free for dinner, are you?" She said okay, told I would ick her up at her place at 7 and to dress causal. Later she sent me a flirty text... I just texed back I'd see her Wednesday. This is how women are....

I got a phone number from a woman in the Wal-Mart parking lot, of all places, moths ago we are still causally dating. When I asked for the number she said "I have a boyfriend." What I told her was this, and it freaking worked like a charm, all you DJ's as free to use it.

Mike: "What's your number?"
HB8 - "I have a boyfriend." (Her BL was saying she was thinking about it)
Mike: "What?... he took your phone?... He doesn't let you use your phone?"
HB8: "Well no... you know what I mean."
Mike: "Well I guess I don't blame him if my GF looked as hot as you I'd be a little paranoid myself."
HB8: "It's not like that really."
Mike: "Well what's it like... tell me about it over dinner this Thursday."
HB8: "I can't..."
Mike: "What, you can't eat... Okay, then drinks."
HB8: "You're funny."
Mike: "It hard being funny standing in a Wal-Mart parking lot, you should see me on stage."
HB8: "Okay my number is XXX-XXXX, what's your number..."
Mike: "What so you can screen my call. I don't think so, you see if I give you my number and you don't pick up, then I'll know you know who I am and you are doing this on purpose, this will crush my ego, this way when I call, and you let it go to VM, I can assume you're screening me out because you don't know who is calling. It's much better for me that way.
HB8: "I don't do that."
Mike: "What, answer the phone? If you don't answer I can I ask you out, besides I'm not promising you I'll call."
HB8: "WELL if I give you my number you better call."
Mike: "Ah now that's what I want to here, enthusiasm! Let's just make a date this Thursday, that way you're not sitting by the phone and I'm not worried about screen outs. Since you won't eat or drink I'll figre out something fun to do."
HB8: laughing
Mike: "i'll pick up up at 7, what's your address, or do you just want to meet right here next to the shopping cart corral."
Hb8: laughing
Mike: Okay, right here at 7 on Thurday, dress casual.
HB8: Okay, I'm not promising you I'll be here.
Mike: "Hey if you don;t show, no problme I'll just head off and do what I have planned, but if you're not here a 7 I'm not waiting around."
HB8: "We'll see."
Mike: "I guess we will."

Well she was there, and we went bowling, than drinks a bar close to the house and played some darts. She never mentioned her BF again, and I never ask about him. It's been 6 months now, and hook-up every couple of weeks.

djthiago1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Been having this problem too, i've been trying to approach girls i've never met in random places. I basically go up to them and say:
me: Hi, what's your name?

babe: Name's HB.

me: Listen, i think you're very pretty and i'd like to get to know you, what's your phone number?

I'm a bit shy when i'm all by myself so this takes big steel balls for me.

Tried this 3 times this week, got the boyfriend line 3 times. What's with this 100% having boyfriend rates?
Am i doing something wrong?

logicallefty

Reaction score
"Here is my number. Have him call me next time he needs a good wingman"

Keiz

Don Juan
Reaction score
Onion said:
...and then you'll be the first to accuse her/girls of infidelity, cheating, lack of honor, integrity etc etc. The sheer hypocrisy here is sometimes breathtaking! Are we not encouraging women to behave this way if we pursue them while we know they have a boyfriend? How would you like it if someone sleeps with your GF?
Honestly I wouldn't care. I am not the kind of person getting involved with girls for a longer period, don't really have time for it, to put it kindly. Either way, if a girl cheated on me I would be glad I dodge the bullet and happily look for a new one. But tbh, it's most likely me who'd cheat on her... I know the risk I take when I start talking to her, and the thrill of it makes the risk worth it my eyes.

Robert28

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I thought this was a stupid line but by God if it didn't work like a charm!

Girl: Sorry, I have a boyfriend
Me: Hmmm, you only have one? Most pretty girls have tons of guys chasing after them.

Next thing you know she's no longer mentioning the boyfriend and we are talking and exchanging numbers.

Keiz

Don Juan
Reaction score
Robert28 said:
Girl: Sorry, I have a boyfriend
Me: Hmmm, you only have one? Most pretty girls have tons of guys chasing after them..
Going to give this one a try, I can see it working.

Darth

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Heisenburger said:
'I have a pet schnauzer. At least he is honest though and does what I say.'....and then walk away.
Thanks for the laugh!