How can I build leg muscle?

Eternal_water

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How can I build up leg muscle mass?

And will doing so damage my knee joints?

Purefilth

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Squats and deadlifts.

If you use correct form, and weights you can manage then no. It wont damage any part of you.

weights you can manage will be ones you can pull out 8-12 reps per set. Do 3 - 5 sets. It takes time, but they will grow.

[S]alvatore

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As Purefilth said, squats and deadlifts are the most effective exercises for your legs. Your knees will only get damaged if you use improper form. Keep the weight over your heels when squatting, and go below parallel. You only get knee issues if you squat above parallel.

And eat enough to grow obviously.

switch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
forget about leg mass till you hit hit 220lbs on the squat.you will gain some mass using light weights,but not the mass you are looking for.
also why do you want leg mass? fvck riptoe and that atheist son of a ***** mehdi.

there is a lot of hype about "chicken legs" and upper body bashing blah blah blah.. you dont need abs exercises,which is bull ,bcuz you need strong abs to deadlift anything heavier than your wife (thats guessing your GF/wife is a human and not belonging to the genus Cetacea )

and you need a heavy deadlift 1RM for a six pack.

face it.you want a jason statham look right?

traps,shoulders,abs.thats all you need,for a good build.fvck leg mass, i got big legs and have to look for 3 hours to find a jean,my waist is 32,but i have to wear 38 due to the quads. and no thats not a fit on,its a regular.

Smerpy

Reaction score
switch said:
forget about leg mass till you hit hit 220lbs on the squat.you will gain some mass using light weights,but not the mass you are looking for.
also why do you want leg mass? fvck riptoe and that atheist son of a ***** mehdi.

there is a lot of hype about "chicken legs" and upper body bashing blah blah blah.. you dont need abs exercises,which is bull ,bcuz you need strong abs to deadlift anything heavier than your wife (thats guessing your GF/wife is a human and not belonging to the genus Cetacea )

and you need a heavy deadlift 1RM for a six pack.

face it.you want a jason statham look right?

traps,shoulders,abs.thats all you need,for a good build.fvck leg mass, i got big legs and have to look for 3 hours to find a jean,my waist is 32,but i have to wear 38 due to the quads. and no thats not a fit on,its a regular.
Do you have to squat heavy for those striations to show on your legs ?

Purefilth

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Smerpy said:
Do you have to squat heavy for those striations to show on your legs ?
no, you have to get the VOLUME.

so squat lighter but lots of reps
get in as much time under tension as you can and EAT. Work out your macros and bodily needs and eat to grow.

I do legs twice a week now, and the shapes coming through nicely.

Packed on 1.8kg mass in 4 weeks - some is bodyfat, obviously, but not a huge amount since you can see the muscle still and I have abs on display too.

Squat and deadlift to bet big.

Stort_Brød

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
As stated squats and deadlifts!!! also love a bit of hamstring curls and quad extensions usually do drop sets on them for a real good burn. but don't forget the calves... when trying to build mass always remember to try and keep everything in proportion to the rest of your body.

Krueg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Like everyone else said, Squats will add size to your legs, and overall body strength. Any good bodybuilder squats, its not just for "weight lifters".

Besides squatting, I like Leg Presses as well to build overall leg size.

Stort_Brød

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
As krueg said legpress is great for size too!!!

just to add a note onto that though is that with the legpress the positioning of your feet will make you hit different parts of the upper leg. for example a wide stance will hit the outer of your quads while a narrow will get the inner quads. putting your feet at the bottom will hit mainly the quads while putting your feet at the top of the plate will hit mainly the hamstrings

Krueg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Stort_Brød said:
As krueg said legpress is great for size too!!!

just to add a note onto that though is that with the legpress the positioning of your feet will make you hit different parts of the upper leg. for example a wide stance will hit the outer of your quads while a narrow will get the inner quads. putting your feet at the bottom will hit mainly the quads while putting your feet at the top of the plate will hit mainly the hamstrings
Good point! I squat with a wide stance so, I like to bring my legs in (narrow) when doing leg presses. I also like to set my feet a little high to hit my glutes/hams as well.

Stort_Brød

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
weighted lunges are also great!

unfortunately after breaking my tibia and fibula in my left leg and still having a plate and 9 screws in it I have limited movement in that ankle so I am limited to sumo ( wide stance ) squats to counteract this because it doesn't count unless you go deep.

ASS TO GRASS BABY!!!

ricky87

Reaction score
Like everyone else said, Squats will add size to your legs, and overall body strength. Any good bodybuilder squats, its not just for "weight lifters". i decided that i follow these rules

Stort_Brød

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
STOP RIGHT THERE !!!

cycling and running is a whole different ballgame to building muscle mass. Cardio is going to put you into a catabolic state where for building muscle mass you want to be in an anabolic state. If you are trying to build size through weight lifting then stay away from any high intensity cardio if you want to get the most out of your gains.

david11pro

Reaction score
I've heard Clenbuterol is a great product to reduce fat and build muscles

Purefilth

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
david11pro said:
I've heard Clenbuterol is a great product to reduce fat and build muscles
Clen is a fat burner. It doesnt build ANY muscle.

And yes - its prescription, but like everything else - you can search and buy it on the internet

TheStig

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Purefilth said:
Clen is a fat burner. It doesnt build ANY muscle.

And yes - its prescription, but like everything else - you can search and buy it on the internet
True, but doesn't it help retain mass while cutting? I saw an IceCreamFitness video where Jason said something about that, or maybe bios3training, I can't remember.

Trixx

Don Juan
Reaction score
Squats and deadlifts (make sure you're consistently increasing weight), but lunges are great too.