How can I build leg muscle?

Peaks&Valleys

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm hesitant with the squats due to back issues and herniated discs. I've been told it shouldn't matter as long as I'm doing them right. I'm still a little squat rack shy, so if I do them I tend to use lighter weight. I mainly stick with leg presses and lunges for the bulk of my leg workouts. Do you guys see that much of a difference between leg presses and squats? I just don't like having my back support all that weight. Is it going to make that big of a difference if I cut squats totally out??

Peaks&Valleys

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi said:
Then I discovered the Smith machine and focused on FORM, and I started getting excellent results in my quads and hammies, even though I have rarely ever squatted more than 225 lbs. for 10 reps.

To me squats are the most brutal and challenging movement, and it took me a year or so of consistent effort before I finally nailed down the proper form and mentality.

But leg presses and extensions and lunges are part of my leg workout regimen, too.
Thanks Espi. The Smith machine does do wonders but it's my weakness at the same time, because it feels safe. I do squats and lunges...3 plates with lunges ;) , using the Smith machine. BUT my back is taking it all in.... I feel my form is all good. The problem is when I walk away my $hit's all tingly and I know my back's the cause of it.

I'm trying to figure the best way to work my legs without putting too much pressure on my spine. That's it.

Leg presses seem to be okay. Other than that, it's usually all the "chick" machines that feel the best and don't cause any other harm.

I guess I was just inquiring about recommendations of how I can build strong legs while having a messed up back.