how are you aging?

easun

Don Juan
Reaction score
zekko said:
I suppose I should answer this, since I'm one of the resident "oldies". I agree with Atom: "Growing older is mostly a fight to retain energy". That rings more true with me than anything. Work drains me.
Deteriorating mitochondrial function. ALCAR + ALA is good for that - might want to give it a try. Though mitochondrial rejuvenation therapy is just around the corner. (For the record, though, I don't take ALA myself, but for someone your age it can be useful)

easun

Don Juan
Reaction score
AmIAFC said:
Only downside is that, thanks to genetics, traditional signs of aging have manifested themselves, specifically in the form of gray hairs (and a lot of them!).
Could be a SOD deficiency as well. Most men don't get hardly enough zinc to keep SOD expression from declining. There are quite a few other supplements that maintain catalase expression as well. IMO greying is nearly 100% preventable, regardless of genetic determination.

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
I think it's the typical American job that makes us age so horribly. Getting up too early without enough sleep so that you can sit on your ass at a desk all day is a recipe for an early death. I just read recent research about how periods of inactivity destroy cells, even in people who go to the gym after work and exercise. Hunter-gatherers didn't sit on their butt all day, or hardly at all, and we are just not built to occupy an office chair all day long every day.
you can certainly see this affect on people who have worked my current field too long. They look dead on the outside, and certainly seem dead on the inside. Its sad really. In many ways, I feel behind people my age with regards to a career, but when you look at how much older these people look/ act, its the price they pay to be where they are. Its extremely odd looking at people who are supposed to be my bosses boss ( in a sense), and have them 3, or 4 years older than I am. Fact is, they look more like 10+ years older.

My big thing with age is recovery from intense workouts, or if I drink. The healing process is slower. I get tired more easily , especially when I have to get up at 530 in the morning. Mentally, I feel like I am still in my 20s though. As for looks, im sure I look older than 6 years ago, but since I workout, its okay. Being in shape is probably more important than whatever looks your genetics provides you, but that is just a guess :D

Three

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've got a few grays, white actually, but all of my hair. I definitely have worse eyes and more aches and pains, but I've noticed I still respond to working out very quickly and I seem to have more energy than when I was younger. I think most of it is mindset. I have a much stronger mind that I ever had in my younger years. As you get older, you go through so much sh!t that it just makes you stronger.

As for alcohol, I definitely have learned to pace myself over the years and that's the biggest key to being able to drink.

Augustus_McCrae

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Another Oldie (age 54) checking in.

It's really true that women hit the wall as they age and men hit their stride.

I think the keys are regular exercise and keeping the weight off. Having strong arms and a strong core help to keep the aging beast at bay.

The one thing I haven't been able to prevent is graying of the hair and a spreading bald spot. The key is to keep your hair short. My hair is actually more white than gray though. The strange thing is that a lot of women seem to like the white hair though.

I can't run like I used to because of the knees, but I walk every day at a rapid pace and lift weights 2 or 3 times a week. Almost no carbs at all. Diet mostly consists of chicken, beef or fish, vegetables and fruit.

I'm 6 foot at 185 lbs and a flat stomach and feel pretty good overall.

My vice is that every 2 weeks or so my girlfriend and I will party pretty hard, but I figure life is for the living. Spent way too many years in the married life slowly dying in front of the TV. Making up for some lost time now.

Girlfriend is 15 years younger and looks younger than that. She turns heads when we go into a place, and yeah, I'll admit, it feels pretty good.

So overall, no complaints.

sodbuster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
well, some of my chest has dropped to my belly and my hair is thinning,but still look about 10 years younger than I am. Had my assistant's daughter see me out with a woman my age[good shape...does 100 mile bike "races" in the mountains] and ask me "is that your mother"[sh1t, the chance at romance is GONE now]

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dear All,
An interesting experience four years ago,was to live for three weeks with a very old Chinese gentleman he was 108...He recently dropped off the coil at 111.....He might well have survived here in the West.....He had a tumour about two inches,inside his rear passage....He was a "Prominente"and "face"being what it is in their culture,when the anaesthatist was Game,the Surgeon chickened out,and that game went on for four months 'till he died...
So what were my observations?...Diet:three quite normal meals a day,maybe 10% meat,mainly fish, 10% Soy products,Tofu generally,maybe 15% whole Rice...the remaining 65% with the exception of an egg a day was Vegetable....No potatoes,but heaps of Yams,turnips,carrots,Pumpkin,onions,beans,and incredible amounts of green vegetables...so many types,what a variety,and at every meal...The Cook got everything daily FRESH from the country side,mostly organic,naturally ripened....Another interesting feature,nothing tinned,no frying,no oven,the Chinese don't use them,no fat,no Sugar.......
Having been in America for many years,he had picked up on the idea of having vitamin supplements,he had tablets every day....Plus Royal Jelly Capsules,I bought him some from Australia,he was delighted
Exercise;nothing structured,but he was an active Gardener all his life....Walked everywhere,never ever had a Car....
Mindset:Well he read constantly and widely....A Chinese Paper in the Morning and Western Current Affairs Magazines.He used to listen to the BBC Far Eastern Service....A highly educated Man he took a Keen interest in everything..
Of course,the Old Chap had a few other things going for him...he had four retainers in his employ,plus people coming in to do the dirty work and the gardening...probably more than Bill Gates..He was a Happy Man,never chased a Buck...We can't all be like this Old Guy but we can learn a few tips.

ngdonjuan

Don Juan
Reaction score
easun said:
If everybody just donated to SENS, then we wouldn't have to worry about the aging problem anymore.
I'm with you on this one!!! Aging is not cool. Especially for women. We are finally at a point in time when we might have technology on the horizon to do something about it. Our ancestors unfortunately did not.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
easun said:
Deteriorating mitochondrial function. ALCAR + ALA is good for that - might want to give it a try.
I don't normally take advice from younger fellows like you about aging. Mainly because they have no experience with it and don't usually know what they are talking about. But I do believe I will give that stuff a try.

Usually you hear from younger fellows in their mid-twenties saying "I will never have that problem, because I take care of my body, etc.". Hell, I thought the same thing at that age. But the fact is a 20 year old body is a lot more forgiving than one that's 50. That's why you don't see many sports where 50 year olds are playing at the pro level.

easun

Don Juan
Reaction score
zekko said:
I don't normally take advice from younger fellows like you about aging. Mainly because they have no experience with it and don't usually know what they are talking about. But I do believe I will give that stuff a try.

Usually you hear from younger fellows in their mid-twenties saying "I will never have that problem, because I take care of my body, etc.". Hell, I thought the same thing at that age. But the fact is a 20 year old body is a lot more forgiving than one that's 50. That's why you don't see many sports where 50 year olds are playing at the pro level.
Not a problem. I am actually part of SENS and my career is in aging. I don't want to be more specific here, though, or give away more personally identifiable information.

Anyway, pm me if you do plan to take these supplements - there are a few things you should know about them. You can find all of the info here on the Internet, but you probably wouldn't find it at first, and I don't want to recommend something to someone your age unless it is taken appropriately, etc.

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dear Augustas M,
"I can't run like I used to because of the knees"......A really good tip,I pass on from Jophil....He was a big time Dancer,bvuggered his back...used eat a desert Spoon of plain old Gelatine in water daily,to rebuild the cartiledge destroyed in high impact sports...NEVER RUN DOWN MOUNTAINS.....First get an XRay if your knees are bone on bone,then its all over Red Rover,but if not the gelatine will build it up....If its good enough for the German and Austrian Olympic Teams its worth a try,cost peanuts also

Rubirosa

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Zarky said:
The guy will croak at the standard age. There ain't no fountain of youth, sorry. But searching for one will keep mankind entertained for the next million years. :yes:
It was not my goal to suggest immortality.....I don't know where you got that idea....I wanted to give an example of an individual who still athletically performs at a very high level despite their chronological age. Jack LaLanne is (was) another guy like him.......
We don't worry about getting older....We worry about the decrease in physical ability and the change in our appearence brought on by aging

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Zarky said:
The guy will croak at the standard age. There ain't no fountain of youth, sorry. But searching for one will keep mankind entertained for the next million years. :yes:
reminds me of the Chinese emperor who was so obsessed with being immortal that he spent like the last 10 years of his life trying to find the cure to death. He got so bad he started eating I think it was mercury and ironically ended up dying of lead / mercury poisoning and was bat**** crazy the last year of his life

easun

Don Juan
Reaction score
Zarky said:
searching for one will keep mankind entertained for the next million years. :yes:
This is a funny estimate since artificial intelligence is being developed and just on the horizon. Retardation and reversal of aging is likely to happen this century (with the convergence of technologies, including AI), but that's a debate for another thread.

Granted, once human aging is "cured", then that presents a whole host of other problems. Evolution doesn't just stop. So I'm not expecting some fantasy world. But it does seem at least better to have an option than to not have it at all.