Hair loss & testosterone.

Zelemont

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My chemistry teacher told my class that men go bald because they have large amounts of testosterone. Is this true, or is this just what my chemistry teacher tells people so they think he is overflowing with testosterone?

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's true to an extent but your best bet is to take a look at your father and his father before him. Are they bald? If so, when did they start to lose their hair? It's largely hereditary - even to the extent that some guys can take large amounts of exogenous testosterone and not suffer hair loss whilst others can go bald in their early 20s no matter what they do.

Viroid

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Technically, its DHT (dihydrotestosterone) that makes you go bald. Testosterone converts into DHT.

Viroid

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Viroid
Testosterone converts into DHT.
By the 5ar enzyme. So, block the 5ar and it shold stop hair loss. This is what the drug Proscar does. Unfortunatly for some people, there are other variables at work causing hair loss.

jakethasnake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The 'baldness gene' is inherited from the maternal side. Ironic.

flava

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
i remember reading somewhere that your race is also a pretty good factor in hair loss. i think it said that white males usually start loosing hair in thier mids-upper 20's, blacks mid 30-40's, mexicans 30-mid 40s. also i think it said that indians keep their hair longer than most races

Escude

Don Juan
Reaction score
no baldness is not limited to your maternal side... you can inherit your father's "baldness" too.

Rashad

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by flava
also i think it said that indians keep their hair longer than most races
:p Damn straight.. i dont think ill EVER lose my hair. I love being indian...

Reaction score
Originally posted by Zelemont
My chemistry teacher told my class that men go bald because they have large amounts of testosterone.
If you have the genes that make you susceptable to suffer from male pattern baldness then you just need an average level of testosterone (as in average for a man) to trigger the hair loss.

That is bladness is not a sign that a man has especially high levels of testosterone (as compared to other men) but just that it is present in normal male quantities and that he has the relevant genes for it to be triggered.

So your chem teacher is right if by "large amounts of testosterone" he means "large" compared to that present in a woman's system but wrong if he means "large" compared to your average man.

2SLICK

Don Juan
Reaction score
Just wondering....

If lifting weights increase testosterone, wouldnt that increase DHT, because the enzymes would have more testosterone to convert, thus increasing the rate of hairloss? I have heard bodybuilders are more at risk for hairloss, is this why or perhaps its because of steriods that also increase testosterone?

Zelemont

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah 2slick that was what I was wondering when I started this thread.

2SLICK

Don Juan
Reaction score
I cannot find any good answer for this question on the internet any where. Perhap I will ask my own doctor. If anyone has a clue, please fill us in!?

Viroid

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by 2SLICK
Just wondering....

If lifting weights increase testosterone, wouldnt that increase DHT, because the enzymes
and where would you get the extra enzymes? ;)

2SLICK

Don Juan
Reaction score
How can we be sure that the hormones themselves dont produce the enzymes??

BMW

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Since working out increases your testostrone level, does that mean working out makes you go bald?

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by BMW
Since working out increases your testostrone level, does that mean working out makes you go bald?
Any increases of testosterone achieved through natural methods are always going to be relatively small when compared to the administration of synthetic test. So it would seem unlikely that this would cause accelerated hair loss - I think the genetic angle is the most accurate anyway - as I stated before, it is mostly those who are predisposed to it that will suffer - I know guys who have used/abused test for years and still have a full head of hair. Luck of the draw IMHO.

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Funny, I've often wondered if working out could increase hair loss as well.

I've had a receding hairline for a while, so just wondered.

Supposedly your increases in testerone are pretty large after working out, but isn't it the DHT at the hair follicle that's the issue

And has anyone tried Abacor (not sure if that's how they spell it) but you hear it on the radio alot.

2SLICK

Don Juan
Reaction score
Avacor is a total rip off. The only real way to stop the progression of hairloss is propecia(finesteride). It stops DHT, chemically, which is the real problem. 83% of male user stop there hairloss, and 63% actually regrow hair where it was lost. Pricey though, and no insurance covers it. Check out www.TheBaldTruth.com

What I really appears to have no answer is if, one is suffering from genetic hairloss, will the extra testosterone accerlerate the the loss of hair? How much of an increase in test. is there after a natural workout? Does an increase in test mean an increase in DHT?

Nobody seems to have any real answers to this question, but if you do , and have evidence, or have spoken to someone knowledable, I would be very greatful for a response!

I wonder about this because I suffer from and slowly receeding hairline. I love to workout but I started to notice a correlation between hairloss and the periods I worked out the most.

Thanks.

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would like more info on this as well.

I would find it hard to believe that the natural increase in testerone due to working out would cause hair loss.

However, unnatural increases (such as that due to steroids) would be more likely to cause the hair loss.

I think the testerone increase is utilized for what it is produced for. The increases due to lifting are utilized in repairing and producing new muscle.