Going to buy fish oil for the first time ever

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Francisco:

45g is the upper limit recommended by Poliquin, and to be honest I don't see a problem with it. Even if it's overkill on the benefits of the fish oil it's still an awesome fat source. But I still don't think it's too much, not by a long way.

Most people can get away with less but if you're serious about muscle growth/fat loss, a high dose fish oil should be considered.

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i actualy did experiecnce a great deal of fish burping after i took ONE softgel. funny burp taste, has lemon.
any way to counteract this?> ill remember this smell when im going to the gym when its crowded :)

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, a good of the premium brands are starting to flavor the oil with lemon and orange flavors, so when you burp, you burp citrus instead of fish. The citrus flavors are supposed to be strong enough to eat the oil over salad without it tasting liike fish or having to take capsules.

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i opened up my bottle of lemon flavored ones. smelled like some weird ****. taste i dont remember, i just gobbled it. but afterwards, burping like mad!

to wba-you suggest 20-30 g of OIL, not epa/dha right? if you do that yourself, what brand do you have? for me, im using gels with 180/120mg of epa/dha per softgel. so eating 30g a day will have me spending 25$ every 12 days!

to throttle-what caps did you settle down with?

Last edited:

Dilberto

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
And oh......take the capsules with FOOD. Otherwise, you'll be burping-up a fishy taste. Not pleasant!

Dues Ex Machina

Reaction score
I keep the fish oil caps in the freezer. That greatly reduces the amount of fish oil burps...... for me anyway.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Any brands you guys recommend?

I was looking at fish oil supplements on Bodybuilding.com, like this one: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/sea/pfo.html

But at the rate you guys say we should take it, I'd be going thru one of those containers every few days, and they aren't cheap :(

Dues Ex Machina

Reaction score
I just get the Sun Valley stuff at wal-mart.

300 caps was 13 dollars. A 2 capsule serving has 780 mg of epa/dha. To get my 5 grams total of epa/dha, I take 12 caps a day spread out with my meals.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So you're only doing 5 grams a day?

I'm really confused on all this stuff, I want to start using fish oil but I have no idea what kind I should get, how much I should take every day and when I should take it. Everywhere I look, people are saying different things. The AMA recommends 1 gram per WEEK!

eaturmcts

Don Juan
Reaction score
checkout www.trueprotein.com Those guys got the cheapest hook up for fish oil I know 1000 capsules for 25. Use my discount CHB519 to save a bit more. Take them with everymeal except PWO.

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
kickureface said:
to throttle-what caps did you settle down with?
haven't yet, but so far i'm happiest with kroger's own private label. sometimes they run a buy one-get one free deal on supplements and a price that's okay the rest of the time suddenly looks really good. the other brands they carry are all terribly fishy.

i tried some salmon caps for kicks a little while back, which had a better aftertaste but were a bit pricier, and a different omega-3 profile.

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Throttle said:
i use gelcaps b/c i can get a hold of decent quality at a decent price, which has eluded me with the liquids. however, i'm taking 3 after nearly every meal (5-6 / day). advantage: it's spaced out through the day, and gets absorbed with and helps absorb whatever else i'm eating. disadvantage: that's a lot of pills.
Well, a few days ago I went out and bought salmon gel caps, green tea and some EFA protein drink. I'm drinking green tea in the mornings now. But I won't be taking more than 1 fish gel cap a day. I need to conserve them ( I have 120 gel caps), the EPA and DHA are within the range mentioned on this forum. Interestingly, the label didn't say anything about fish oil's effects on weight loss. As for the protein shakes, I got four 11 oz packs. I paid under $5 dollars for them and I might get more. I did see some other health drinks. When I get back to that store I'll write down some info about those other health drinks and post it here.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Being_the_Don said:
Interestingly, the label didn't say anything about fish oil's effects on weight loss.
why is this interesting? the label on a lb of steak doesn't say anything about how protein builds muscle either.

taking 1 cap a day won't work, it's not enough. buy in bulk

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
how much green tea extract, or what %of polyphenols or whatever substance (stupid science!) is recommended for fat loss? also, im sensitive to caffiene. am i going to get ****erated?

Omen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
kickureface said:
how much green tea extract, or what %of polyphenols or whatever substance (stupid science!) is recommended for fat loss? also, im sensitive to caffiene. am i going to get ****erated?
I'm not sure your question here, and if you are venturing off the topic of fish oil, but yes, herbs and the like are standardized for certain reasons. The science behind it, is that they have a chemical make-up, and if that is NOT in there to what studies show, its worthless. The product is of no value to it.

Look at some products that say X herb is standardized for 8% this, or 4% that, or what ever. It is for a reason.

Herbs vary greatly, and you shouldn't just get what ever off the shelf. Some companies can pull it from the earth when ever they feel, and it may be crap and you'll never know. This is why when you buy herbs, you actually need to get the best you can.

I'm sensitive to high amounts of caffeine, but smaller doesn't bother me. Your green tea ranges from 1-3% and its not a huge deal. You can get de-caffeinated GT extract but it will be harder to find, but it can be done.

As far as the fish oil goes again, I still think some people are confused. You dont need to be swallowing 45 capsules to get 45g of fish oil.

Also too like I mentioned, you cant treat every fish the same. They are NOT the same in their nutrient profile.

And again, this is my opinion, and my opinion only, but I dont follow Poliquin on his supplement advice. Some is ok, while others I have my opinion on. I highly respect his advice on exercise, but NOT everything he has to say about supplements. Warboss likes what he has to say, but I dont. We each have our reasons.

I even spoke about how he said the darker the berry, the higher the antioxidant, so eat dark fruits. While he is partially correct, he is not entirely correct, and in fact I proved him wrong in our last discussion related to this topic because well....he was wrong. He quoted the below

"Basically, the darker and richer the color of the food, the healthier it is."

NOT TRUE. And there is more than one reason for this being not true.

I suggest a few softgels per day, and you'll be fine. One thing too you have to remember is that Poliquin never stated about the side effects you can have from the mega doses of fish oil.

I would say 3-6g and no more. The EPA + DHA combo is suggested at 0.3-0.5 grams of daily EPA + DHA

Bleeding : Intake of 3 grams per day or greater of omega-3 fatty acids may increase the risk of bleeding, although there is little evidence of significant bleeding risk at lower doses (245; 246; 247). Very large intakes of fish oil/omega-3 fatty acids ("Eskimo" amounts) may increase the risk of hemorrhagic (bleeding) stroke (92). High doses have also been associated with nosebleed and blood in the urine (147). Fish oils appear to decrease platelet aggregation and prolong bleeding time, increase fibrinolysis (breaking down of blood clots), and may reduce von Willebrand factor.

3g 6g and 12g (12g being max has been used in come clinical trials with diseases) This is only at 3 months though for the max, and 6g has been used for a year.

Personally, i'm not about to take 45g of fish oil from capsules. But that's just me. The blood deal is huge, and i'm not messing with a chance of that.

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i was talking about getting green tea extract, and what i should look out for (since it is extract, i am guessing this is because of its greater strength over normal boiled green tea, but i dont know what is greater, some stimulant i suppose) so i want to ask about how much extract stimulant i can take. hope that made sense.
when you said 3 6 12 g, is it g oil or g epadha

Omen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
kickureface said:
i was talking about getting green tea extract, and what i should look out for (since it is extract, i am guessing this is because of its greater strength over normal boiled green tea, but i dont know what is greater, some stimulant i suppose) so i want to ask about how much extract stimulant i can take. hope that made sense.
when you said 3 6 12 g, is it g oil or g epadha
Shoot for around 50% EGCG and a 95% or higher Polyphenol amount if you can.

It should say on the label, and if it doesn't, and just says Green Tea, dont buy it.

The amounts I listed were for fish oil softgels. Not EPA/DHA combo. That was listed earlier in the post I wrote.

The norm that you find on the shelf is 1g per softgel and 120mg/180mg
12:18 is the most common form found on the shelf, but there are MANY others, and I posted a few of those in my other post last time we spoke of this stuff.