'Fat' could become 'normal' in America by 2015

Dongfu

Banned
Reaction score
Wherever the Dong guides me, but mostly Hawaii
We are a bunch of god damn geniuses around here. A bunch of guys talking about gaming think up better solutions than the govt.

For a great book assaulting feminism check out the professional bachelor - you can read the intro chapters for free on amazon search inside this book - funny stuff

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Play the Game said:
Taxing "fat" food is unfair, and a generalization that doesn't address the issue of obesity. I can eat all the cake i want and but if i work out can still be in great shape. ....
Good point. I say food should be on a sliding scale that increases as a person's waist size increases over a healthy level.

"I want a Twinkie, where's my measuring tape?"

Reaction score
Three ways to decrease obesity are...

1. Make the portions smaller.
2. Ban clothes over XL so fat people won't have any thing to wear. They have to diet and lose weight or they have to go out naked... lol
3. Close down all the fast food stores.

Too bad the chances of these happening is 0%, o well I ain't fat... not my problem.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
PeterNorthisawesome said:

1. Make the portions smaller.
2. Ban clothes over XL so fat people won't have any thing to wear. They have to diet and lose weight or they have to go out naked... lol
3. Close down all the fast food stores.

Too bad the chances of these happening is 0%, o well I ain't fat... not my problem.
  1. Instead of making smaller portions (people could just order two) why don't people just eat less and take the leftovers home for later?
  2. Ewww, some people should have access to clothing.
  3. Nah, as long as there's a legal market why shouldn't they make a buck? Besides, it's not their fault that people abuse their product. Don't forget, people still smoke and drink alcohol in excess.
I'm with 'ya about not having to personally worry about health wise it but I'm concerned about how making concessions for some of these people are impacting some population. I just believe that people should be personally accountable and redefining the system around them is overkill.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Norisman said:
New studies proved that obesity is contagious, so watch who you hangout with, avoid fat chick...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6914397.stm
Yeah, I read that study. You have to admit, if you look around you can find proof of that every day. People with similar lifestyles tend to gravitate to one another.

Here's a animation from the study that shows how the idividuals gravitate toward the various social networks.

http://content.nejm.org/content/vol357/issue4/images/data/370/DC2/NEJM_Christakis_370v1.swf

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Francisco d'Anconia said:
Most BMI calculations do not take into account your waist size which a larger factor than a person's weight. Women with a waist measurement of more than 35 inches or men with a waist measurement of more than 40 inches may have a higher disease and health risks than people with smaller waist measurements because of where their fat lies.
BMI is an intrinsically broken measurement because it asks you to compute the square of a body measurement (height) and then proceeds to compare it to what is essentially a volume measurement. The basis should be more like height cubed or some similar computation.

As it is tall people are misreported as having high BMI and short people can be pretty damn stocky and get lower BMI. The BMI computation is only marginally useful for people close to average height. Also athletes and the elderly are badly mis-computed due to wide variations in lean mass, high and low.

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
PeterNorthisawesome said:

Uhhh...im 6'4...i wear XXL...im 180...try again sporto.

Obsidian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
F*ck the fat tax. The government doesn't have any business regulating people's private health decisions. (And on the flipside, society doesn't owe you any subsidies to pay your medical bills, either!)

Free market all the way! Make all people pay for their own health costs or die, and maybe people will start living healthier.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bigjohnson said:
BMI is an intrinsically broken measurement because it asks you to compute the square of a body measurement (height) and then proceeds to compare it to what is essentially a volume measurement. The basis should be more like height cubed or some similar computation.

As it is tall people are misreported as having high BMI and short people can be pretty damn stocky and get lower BMI. The BMI computation is only marginally useful for people close to average height. Also athletes and the elderly are badly mis-computed due to wide variations in lean mass, high and low.
Umm, did'cha read the first line of my post stating that BMI doesn't take into account a person's waist size which is a larger factor than the person's weight? :confused:

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Umm, did'cha read the first line of my post stating that BMI doesn't take into account a person's waist size which is a larger factor than the person's weight? :confused:
Yep, wasn't arguing, just adding more info.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
oakraiderz2 said:
Uhhh...im 6'4...i wear XXL...im 180...try again sporto.
I can't believe that you wear an XXL pant size in the waist. What's an XXL, like a 48" waist? I bet that you're barely a 32" at most.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bigjohnson said:
Yep, wasn't arguing, just adding more info.
Ahhh, got'cha... BMI isn't really good for people who have a truly athletic lifestyle.

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
BMI is intrinsically broken for a wide variety of applications outside the narrow confines it was invented for. It notably fails for

• People with large amounts of lean mass, such as athletes, particularly ones in strength oriented sports or training.
  • The elderly, who are often classed as "healthy" when they are in fact underweight.
  • The very tall. A tall man will often have a high BMI while being quite slim
  • The very short. Classic example is a short woman, like an Asian; almost always miscategorized.

So essentially BMI sorta works for average people living an average lifestyle, but even THEN it works poorly.

redspicyflag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Reaction score
redspicyflag said:
jeez
so fat ppl make more fat ppl
You didn't know that fat parents make fat kids? They pass on their diet and exercise habits... that's why marrying fat h'es ain't good, cuz your kids will be fugly.

Whoever is 6'5 and 180 is way too skinny... you wouldn't be wearing XXL pants. Then again you ain't fat so good 4 you.

Reaction score
  1. Instead of making smaller portions (people could just order two) why don't people just eat less and take the leftovers home for later?
  2. Ewww, some people should have access to clothing.
  3. Nah, as long as there's a legal market why shouldn't they make a buck? Besides, it's not their fault that people abuse their product. Don't forget, people still smoke and drink alcohol in excess.
I'm with 'ya about not having to personally worry about health wise it but I'm concerned about how making concessions for some of these people are impacting some population. I just believe that people should be personally accountable and redefining the system around them is overkill.
1. Well if you make smaller portions then people would have to spend more money... so hopefully they'll order less.

2. No that's why fat people keep eating... cuz they think it's acceptable and OK. Ex. Smokers... the number went down because it's banned almost every where. Sure there are still people who smoke, but they have to do it privately. People will think that it's socially acceptable if they see more people doing it.

3. I was trying to compare how US has so many junk food places that it's so hard to eat out and stay healthy. So maybe someone should make more subways.

Nighthawk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I read it's the high fructose corn syrup they pump into all your food because it's cheap. The UK is rapidly catching up though. Luckily fat people are scared of London.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nighthawk said:
I read it's the high fructose corn syrup they pump into all your food because it's cheap. The UK is rapidly catching up though. Luckily fat people are scared of London.
Yeah, that stuff is bad along with the fake sugars like sucrose and dextrose. Couple that with refined flours and general processed foods and it all adds up. That stuff isn't as easily digested and assimilated like whole, natural foods.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, that stuff is bad along with the fake sugars like sucrose and dextrose. Couple that with refined flours and general processed foods and it all adds up. That stuff isn't as easily digested and assimilated like whole, natural foods.
I remember back in the day when my "lunch" from work might consist of a large fry from McDonalds, milk shake and an apple pie. Yikes! Or I used to get slurpees from 7/11 after high school, that stuff is like pure HFCS mixed with food coloring!