Do you think most people in general dislike the police?

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There is a lot of "police protect" crap on here, and it's wrong. I understand their job is to "protect and serve", but do they? Not at all when it comes to traffic.

What is pulling someone over for no front license plate protecting anybody from? Window tint too dark? Exhaust too loud? (I've never seen a Harley Davidson on the side of the road for "exhaust too loud".) Stereo too loud?

I've gotten passed by a 17 year old doing 90 in mom's minivan, and I've been doing 65 in a zippy little red economy car and I got pulled over for no front plate. Uh... the speed limit was 65. I'm 31. *cough*profiling*cough*harassment*cough*cough*

Police pull someone over for someting silly, then go fishing around to see if they can write up any more tickets. Why? Not too protect or serve, but to write more tickets and make themselves look better - at a harmless person's expense.

What's more, if you have a good record, you can get away with murder. But, if you have a bad record, it's only getting worse until you eventually lose your license - regardless of how minor or major the offenses are. You'll get stuck with every single petty bs thing the police can dig up. But if you have a clean record, you can fly around doing 90 in minivans and get warnings. I know you've all seen it and heard about it.

So, my little CRX has cross-drilled rotors, stainless brake lines with silicone brake fluid, is lowered with sport-tuned springs, the properly inflated tires are kept on the road with 5-way adjustable shocks, and has all better-than-stock stabilizer bars. Obviously, I can turn and stop faster and better than a minivan. My car is SAFER than a minivan, and I'm a younger driver - better reflexes. But since it's a CRX, and "The Fast and the Furious" came out, I can't keep it off the side of the road, even though I don't speed, don't run red lights, use my turn signal... and don't get in accidents.

Minivans and SUV's are built to crash: side impact this, airbags here, here, and here, anti-lock brakes, 14 cup holders, DVD/TV, driver side vanity mirror... and look at a minivan's/SUV's tires. Have you ever seen properly inflated tires on a minivan/SUV? They are heavy, don't handle, and are constantly speeding on under-inflated tires. Oh, those things are soooo scary. They aren't built to avoid crashes, they are built to crash. Yet, police assume that it's a soccer-mom driving so they leave them to rape the road without any thought of "SAFETY".

Also, police ignore semi's when they are breaking the law. The sign says 55 for trucks, and they blow by police at 70. How is that safe? I don't give two rips about whether or not it's some meth-head truck driver's "job" or not, those things are more scary than minivans. My 60-to-zero time is sick low, but a semi? They can't stop OR turn. Safety?

Criminals break the law, sometimes a lot. Upstanding people try not to break the law. Who is better at breaking the law? Who is better at getting away with breaking the law? So, who gets caught more? If I wanted to be a criminal, I would first buy a minivan.

Traffic law is just a revenue generator for the government. Drivers are the crops, and police are the harvestors. It has little to do with safety.

wayword

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
Also, one of my textbooks mentioned some research which concluded that when police officers testify in court, they are lying between 20 and 50% of the time.
I agree. When I had a wreck, the cop at the scene promised me they would take photos and such. But, they never did. I called him back later and he bald-faced lied and denied it.

Not to mention, they also show a LOT of favoritism to young hotties or celebs. And pull over married women just to hit on them, too.

Moral of the story is: NEVER TRUST PIGS! They have the power and you don't, so they could care less about you.

spider_007

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
1) COPS ARE HUMAN - UNPERFECT - PEOPLE JUST LIKE US. They get tempted to lie, and still....JUST LIKE US.

2) Why don't more people break the law? Because they are afraid of going to jail... they are afraid of the cops. That's the bigest part of policing. How do you think couple of thousand cops can control a population of 1/4 million. It's the fear of the police.

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
spider_007 said:
1) COPS ARE HUMAN - UNPERFECT - PEOPLE JUST LIKE US. They get tempted to lie, and still....JUST LIKE US.
Good point.

With that being said, there are also AFC cops, cops without pride, cops without dignity, cops that are lazy, cops that are only looking out for themselves, and cops who are criminals as well. They are, after all, humans; doing their jobs. Like a waiter, the service is only as good as the person doing the job.

mahon83050

Banned
Reaction score
Well, I never said I hated the police, eventhough I have easily gotten over $2500 in speeding tickets,parking fines, and other types throughout my life. But hey, it was my own fault. Yea, it sucks that I am a good person and got a ticket while someone else out there is walking around with an illegal gun and not getting caught.

I think too many people take things personal when the police ticket them or pull them over. However, unless you got pulled over or arrested for something REALLY serious...most cops are cool if you show them respect (I.E Yes sir, no sir). I have never gotten a bad attitude from a cop because I was not mouthing off. If you are compliant enough, a cop might even let you off the hook or write you a ticket for a smaller infraction.

I have worked in customer service my whole life and have dealt with some ignorant, difficult people. I am sure what the cops have to deal with is 10X worse. I am sure on numerous occasions, the when a person gets pulled over or arrested they blame the cop for harrassing them or being an a-hole eventhough they did something wrong in the first place. I am sure they also have to deal with...

Well, I know so and so...he/she is a cop, or my brother-in-laws best friend is a Lt. with this department....the cops must here every excuse in the book. Traffic accidents must be the worst to deal with...the he said-she said stuff.

Overall, I respect the police...although I have called them pigs in my head and outloud before.

dannowillbookem

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
pigs are pigs. they get paid good wages to drive around in their porkchops and bust kids for endagering everyones lives with some pot. hell one almost wrote me a cigarette ticket. thats crazy.

to the average citizen, at least in traffic, cops send off a little "oh shiit" in your head. everybody speeds every now and then, everbody has run a stop sign, most people have drank a little underaged or smoked some pot. the cops are the man, and they tie in with your boss and your probation officer and your mom and your dad and whoever else you answer to. no one likes people telling them what to do, although alot of people get a high from talking about respecting police. but lets face it. pigs are pigs.

Le Parisien

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Carloz said:
Blacks&latinos have many reasons to hate cops
I'm not sure how I should understand this comment...:crazy: :confused:

Either you are a white guy with some racist leanings or you are an "ethnic" guy who has a typical/stereotypical somewhat unlawful lifestyle and is "proud" of it...
:rolleyes:

But then I realized you are an amigo...:whistle:

OddManOut85

Don Juan
Reaction score
yes and no.cops are here to help you generally.yeah theres a few corrupt a holes,but what you gonna do? generally i think there honest and here to help people.you work with them,they will work with you.this past saturday,i was at a party that got out of control,mostly on part of this petty b.s of people from here vs people from here b.s,which put a dampner on everything.and i feel bad for the guy that threw the party.he was nice enough to let us come to it,and it got out of control.the cops showed up,and they were like everybody out,go home,etc.no arrests or nothing.there was this one idiot who was there trying to argue with the cop into letting him stay.i was like wtf?!?! the guys letting everyone go,and your gonna stand there and argue with him?!?! yeah.word of advice,if the cops show up,believe me,work WITH them and all will be good.ok.least it has in my experience.i was just polite,pleae,thank you,etc,and all turned out well.

Da Realist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wouldn't say I hate all cops, but you really don't see the good one's because they're busting their butt to really protect and serve. I'd say cops are divided like this: lazy cops(majority), a**holes with badges, dirty cops, and clean cops(least); at least its like that in Memphis. Step outside the the city wearing the wrong color skin, you're a magnet. Stay in the city and you get guys who like to shine bright lights at you while driving or are standing in gas stations or Walmarts all day while other stuff is going on. Oh, and then you've got cops who act like they're just another gang.

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Have you considered reporting those bad cops? Unless you live in Somalia, most civilised countries tend to have internal affairs divisions who investigate police wrongdoing. For example, if a cop beats you up for no reason, then obviously you can report them.

Also not sure if this exists in the US, but a lot of cop cars nowadays have video recording facilities (can't be altered by the cop) that track the cop's movements. So the policeman can't lie about it.

Mitch_Mustain

Don Juan
Reaction score
come to Arkansas where the police don't have big drug dealers and pimps to arrest or any big time crime. So because they dont have anything special to do they become big bullies and take people downtown for really really dumb ass reasons just so they can meet their commison or quota or whatever it may be. f*ck the police.

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Deus ex Pianoforte said:
Having no front license plate makes it harder for police to identify vehicles, a necessary law to help prevent crime. Having excessively tinted windows helps conceal illegal activity inside the vehicle, a necessary law to help prevent crime. Having loud exhaust and stereos disturbs the peace. Anything else?
Having no front license plate makes it harder for police to hit you with laser/radar for speed check. If you aren't breaking any laws, why does your car need to be identified? If you weren't speeding, what's the problem? It's an excuse to pull you over and go fishing/harrass you.

Window tint keeps the interior of cars without AC cool. Also, it protects people with lupus from the sun. If there is no illegal activity going on inside to conceal, how is it preventing crime? The crime will happen in a car whether it's concealed or not. How are limosines tinted, then? How are the backs of SUV's and minivan's tinted, then? It's an excuse to pull you over and go fishing/harrass you.

(The safety excuse I heard was that a few police officers came up to a vehicle and the person inside had a gun and shot them: If they come up to the car and your window is rolled down, what's the problem? You are obviously not a shady character, so the "conceal illegal activity" arguement is bunk. If someone planned on shooting an officer, they would do it regardless of window tint. Instead of making window tint illegal, police could insist that the window is rolled down before they approach the vehicle.)

If you didn't have loud exhaust, and/or a loud stereo, what peace are you disturbing? How is it that Harley Davidson motorcycles seem to have legal exhausts? It's a subjective thing: a cop THOUGHT you had a loud exhaust, or THOUGHT they heard your (a) stereo, so what they THINK is somehow TRUTH as far as the law goes. What's more, it doesn't have to actually be your exhuast or your stereo they heard, but they need only suspect it was yours. It's an excuse to pull you over and go fishing/harrass you.

You aren't using your brain, thus, you aren't understanding my points.

If you were, you'd ask yourself why there isn't a law enforced about properly inflated tires. Why are there so many semi-trucks on the road and fewer trains? Why don't vehicles have top speed limiters? Ooh, oh, oOOOH!

You just want to jump up and down :cheer: for the system. Good for you. Don't bother applying logic to anything. Ignorance is, after all, bliss. I bet you are one helluva happy guy.

mahon83050

Banned
Reaction score
I know I stated I have no problem with the police, but this news brief about a current fugitive being hunted in Upstate New York is funny.

"There is a $225,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of Phillips, who has threatened "suicide by cop" and once promised to "to splatter pig meat all over Chautauqua County."

I just found it funny he used the term pig meat to refer to human police officers.

LesaneCrooks

Don Juan
Reaction score
In my experience, about 25% of police officers are complete *******s, 70% just think they are better than the person they are harrassing, and the other 5% are good guys. However, lets make something clear: I only hate cops when that uniform is on. Its a war out their, and that uniform makes these people think they are something other than humans. **** the police, straight up.

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Deus ex Pianoforte said:
Blaming a police officer for enforcing the law is akin to getting pissed at the McDonald's guy for making your hamburger. Stop listening to Dr. Dre.
Deus ex Pianoforte said:
Typical far-left rhetoric, resorting to personal attacks.
Pot: "Hey, Kettle..."
Kettle: "What's up, Pot?"
Pot: "You're black."
Kettle: *:confused:*

Vulpine said:
If you didn't have loud exhaust, and/or a loud stereo, what peace are you disturbing?
Deus ex Pianoforte said:
Exactly, which is why people with a loud stereo don't get pulled over for having their stereo too loud.
I've been pulled over for "stereo too loud" with my radio off and windows up. In fact, I demonstrated to the officer at the scene that I didn't have a loud stereo. Did I get a ticket? :yes: I was pleasant, respectful, polite, and cordial to the officer and still got a citation. So, tell me again:

Deus ex Pianoforte said:
Exactly, which is why people with a loud stereo don't get pulled over for having their stereo too loud.
There are reasons that people dislike the police. If you don't have any reasons, it doesn't mean that other people don't. If you can't relate, then don't try. The title of this thread is "Do you think most people in general dislike the police?" If the title was "Why do you think people who dislike police are wrong?", then your posts might have more relevance.

wayword

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Deus ex Pianoforte said:
Really? You must be a police officer yourself to be able to have hard data on the demographics of traffic stops. Or are you just talking out of your a'ss? Probably the latter, since you've obviously never heard of Mel Gibson, Nick Nolte, Eddie Murphy, Hugh Grant, Al Pacino, Larry King, Keanu Reeves, Noelle Bush, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Oliver Stone, Naomi Cambell, Russell Crow...the list goes on. Guess they didn't get the "Prefential Treatment for Celebrities" memo.
Actually, the starstruck pigs tried covering for Mel with his drunken rants. I also personally knew a pig who pulled over Jenna Bush for speeding, but let her off when she told him her daddy was the President (yes, he actually told us this cuz he thought it was amusing). My friend's wife also got pulled over and asked for her number...even though she was obviously wearing her RING. MANY of my female friends have almost NEVER gotten speeding tickets...cuz pigs always let them off if they were cute. Meanwhile, I've gotten pulled over for "swerving" lanes when I was in the same lane the whole time. Of course, he didn't write me up for that, but went on a fishing trip after he pulled me over. Etc, etc. I could go on all damn day...F THA POLICE!

Another funny thing is that even though I'm not White, they wrote "White" as my race in about 80% of my tickets. Why? So, it doesn't look like they're racially-profiling minorities in their records. Which then whitewashes all your official demographics on ticketing.

Look, a lot of guys become cops for various reasons. For many, they don't have advanced college degrees and so it's simply better than joining the military or working a fast food joint.

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was busy editing my post when you posted.

I find it acute of people to tell someone "Your opinion is wrong". Especially considering that:
1. It's an opinion
2. The person doesn't know how the other person formed that opinion.

It's like telling someone they are wrong for their religion, culture, sexual orientation, or political beliefs. It is absurd indeed.

Last edited:

sexy_kuta

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
what pisses me off that the cops where im from.. are more concern about moddifyed cars then criimials.. they spend more time writting tickets up for suspensions and illegal lights.. and stupid **** like that..when they should be investating 2pacs death.

cops are *******s too they will make u wait and search ur car for no reason and have it towed... assuming ur a drug dealer... its illegal to mod any car

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Padron Reserve maduro in hand while finishing my b
Deep Dish said:
I would venture to guess that feelings of hating the police are directly proportional to having an external locus of control. In other words, people with an external locus of control feel they don't have control of their life, that life happens to them rather than proactively commanding where life takes them (This is true of conspiracy theorists).

This is probably the most succinctly stated reason why the defeatist, irrational sector of the population learns to live in denial and die with regret.

DISH, My brother, the first sake is on me next time we can get together.

Beautiful post!:up: