Do you lead an interesting life?

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Francisco d'Anconia said:
LOL, good one... Y'know, you end up meeting a wide variety of people when the Dalai Lama comes to town (I've seen the 14th speak twice).

What's interesting is their lifestyle, not necessarily what they do, it's how they do it. Through their training to gain "enlightenment" they learn a way of perceiving things and people in a way that makes our daily interactions seem extremely superficial. You wouldn't believe the wondrous things that we regularly overlook which can give us the wisdom and insight to answer the majority of all of our questions (i.e. "enlightenment").

The monks get this. No day is boring to them. Every day feels as if it was their very first, that there is something else out there to learn or understand. That purpose and excitement can be had without grand adventures. Not that there's anything wrong with a good adventure, it's just that your life needn't be dependent on them to make your life interesting. Part of leading an interesting life is to be interested in life.

Yes. I was listening to some Alan Watts recordings several years back and felt this way. Makes these girls that run aroudn worrying about what kind or purse their going to buy to accessorize their outfit so they can look good in some exclusive club to see and be seen look pretty damn shallow.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
speakeasy said:
Yes. I was listening to some Alan Watts recordings several years back and felt this way. Makes these girls that run aroudn worrying about what kind or purse their going to buy to accessorize their outfit so they can look good in some exclusive club to see and be seen look pretty damn shallow.
EXACTLY, you've got it!!! It's about people who find meaning and purpose in their lives by external means, it's not authentic. So they keep buying more, wanting to be seen with particular people, want to be perceived as being "hot..."

What if they could make their self worth be a product of how they authentically feel inside? What if they were so "together" that the ebb and flow of life would effect them as a willow in the wind? They sway in the breeze but are sturdy and grounded? Embracing the simplicities of life makes turmoil much more manageable.

Mr.Positive

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
EXACTLY, you've got it!!! It's about people who find meaning and purpose in their lives by external means, it's not authentic. So they keep buying more, wanting to be seen with particular people, want to be perceived as being "hot..."

What if they could make their self worth be a product of how they authentically feel inside? What if they were so "together" that the ebb and flow of life would effect them as a willow in the wind? They sway in the breeze but are sturdy and grounded? Embracing the simplicities of life makes turmoil much more manageable.
Great stuff Guys...great stuff..:up:

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
6-heads lewis said:
i just dont get life. its long. its very long. the american dream seems to be have a wife, house and kids by 35... then what, what do you do for the next 50 years? invest in real estate? argue with your wife? buy new cars? pay taxes?

Usually, work a 9-5 to make payments on all the crap you have, watch your wife get fat (that's if she doesn't divorce you), mow the yard, work on the house, walk the dog, get gray hair, watch your kids grow up and leave, then retire on a crappy pension and move to a trailer park in Florida where you drive a big car badly until you die. That's life, at least for most people.

ChrizZ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My life is really busy right now.

Right now it consists of college, soccer, golf, beach volleyball, boxing, working out and partying three times a weak.

After I'm done with CC this is what I'm gonna do...

1. Get me a harley and travel to every big city in America and spend the nights in cheap motels.

2. Invest in stocks

3. Go out 4 nights a week to become a mPUA

Heart Break Kid

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sometimes my life is too 'interesting'. I think it comes from passion; travel and excitement. There's always tension-- sexual and dramatic. I'm always on my toes since the anglophone world is new too me. I was born in Paris - live in Toronto. But when did i start living? Just a couple years ago. All it took was putting insecurities aside and saying hi. There is no one who finds the world more interesting, more exciting and beautiful as a shy kid breaking out of their shell. :)

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
Usually, work a 9-5 to make payments on all the crap you have, watch your wife get fat (that's if she doesn't divorce you), mow the yard, work on the house, walk the dog, get gray hair, watch your kids grow up and leave, then retire on a crappy pension and move to a trailer park in Florida where you drive a big car badly until you die. That's life, at least for most people.
Exactly.

Now imagine how much power you would have as a guy that lives an exciting, interesting life? Most girls do the same sh*t all the time just like guys. Most the guys she meets are 9-5ers that will follow the path laid out above.

Now imagine some guy comes along, let's say he's even got a little game and maybe ain't even too bad to look at. If he can break her away from her day in day out drudgery you can only imagine how powerful that's gotta be. A girl would be begging such a guy to stay in her life.

Kidfabulous

Don Juan
Reaction score
speakeasy said:
Exactly.

Now imagine how much power you would have as a guy that lives an exciting, interesting life? Most girls do the same sh*t all the time just like guys. Most the guys she meets are 9-5ers that will follow the path laid out above.

Now imagine some guy comes along, let's say he's even got a little game and maybe ain't even too bad to look at. If he can break her away from her day in day out drudgery you can only imagine how powerful that's gotta be. A girl would be begging such a guy to stay in her life.
But for him to stay with her would change his lifestyle... Seems like a Catch 22.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It is. That almost just happened to me. My ex's daddy had a predictable and stable job, so that was what she looked for in a guy. I was going to completely change my life and move to a city I hate just to be with her. Now I'm glad I didn't. I miss her, but I would have gone nuts from boredom living that life.

Magma

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
speakeasy said:
If you think you do, tell what makes your life interesting.

What makes one person's life interesting and not the other? I'm not just being philosophical, having an interesting life ties in strongly with a DJ mindset.
Great question Speak. I like to think I lead an interesting life. I teach history, chop motorcycles (working on an old Ironhead Sporty right now), was a sponsored skier at one point (not major mag sponsorships, but free gear,swag, and season passes), travel quite a bit, sculpt artistic furniture pieces with concrete (odd, I realize) to supplement my teaching income, am a pretty good fly fisherman (blue ribbon trout streams abound where I live), have hiked 50 miles over mountain passes, and generally just do my own thing.

In my AFC days, I suffered from severe approach anxiety. It's a wonder I ever got laid. I definitely got laid from the skiing thing quite a bit. But never because I had any game.

I don't think about my life as "interesting" per se, but rather I just enjoy what I do. Sometimes the things I do are seen as unique and interesting to some people. I know because I've been told this. But I don't think about it. I don't do anything for the sake of it being "interesting." I do it because I like it and it makes my inner game solid. I always felt my inner game lacked a piece of the puzzle. When I discovered sosuave, I found that missing piece. I feel like a solid individual now. My inner game is complimented by the confidence necessary to qualify women to me. I now ask myself, "Is this woman deserving of MY time?" In all honesty, the answer is often "No."

Also, I think you and I got off to a bad start on here. I never meant any disrespect. From one mature man to another, Peace.

Master Bates

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You plan on limiting the myriad of interesting things life has to offer to only the next four years of your life? WHY???!!! :confused:
When did I say I'd stop after 29? :) I just want to be able to say I actually did something awesome, exciting, adventurous in my 20s.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Magma said:
Also, I think you and I got off to a bad start on here. I never meant any disrespect. From one mature man to another, Peace.
Not sure what you're referring to, but I got no hate towards anyone on this board.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Master Bates said:
When did I say I'd stop after 29? :) I just want to be able to say I actually did something awesome, exciting, adventurous in my 20s.
You had me worried for a bit there. If you play your cards right, you'll learn what real adventure is about in your 30's. People don't typically "get it" rather "understand it" until they get into their 30's. It has something to do with understanding sustainable energy exertion.

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
An interesting life comes from fulfilling your innermost passions.

I fulfill those passions each day.

I ride motorcycles, fight, and do various other "risk" activitiies, but to be honest, those are ephemeral things in life. The most interesting thing lately for me has to get in touch with a more intellectual side of existence.

Serialized3

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd say my life is rather ordinary most of the time. However, I have three weekdays a week to go out and do whatever I want (usually into the mountains... and on weekdays I despise crowds)

I like to adventure outdoors, off-trail hiking, unroped mountain climbing, shooting, and off-piste skiing in the winter.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
WORKEROUTER said:
An interesting life comes from fulfilling your innermost passions.
But what if one of your innermost passions is something completely geeky? Like collecting Star Trek memorabilia and playing Dungeons and Dragons. Does that make your life interesting?

You know who was an interesting guy to me for example? Steve Irwin, the crododile hunter who died from the Sting Ray strike. Something about the dude's passion for wildlife was infectious. I could not turn off one of his shows even if I wanted to.

Last edited:

comic_relief

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
speakeasy said:
But what if one of your innermost passions is something completely geeky? Like collecting Star Trek memorabilia and playing Dungeons and Dragons. Does that make your life interesting?
Sure, as long as you are happy, then why do you care about anything else.

comic_relief

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
comic_relief said:
Sure, as long as you are happy, then why do you care about anything else.

comic_relief
Reminds me of a philosphical debate we had in college class years ago about the meaning of success. It was asked if a man decided to become a transient living on the streets and enjoyed that lifestyle, should he be considered successful? My argument at the time was yes, to which my professor didn't like that answer and asked what does such a person have to contribute? It was an interesting debate.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
speakeasy said:
Reminds me of a philosphical debate we had in college class years ago about the meaning of success. It was asked if a man decided to become a transient living on the streets and enjoyed that lifestyle, should he be considered successful? My argument at the time was yes, to which my professor didn't like that answer and asked what does such a person have to contribute? It was an interesting debate.
Ahhh, the debate on the purpose of man. Should his purpose be his own self interest or should it be the interest of society? So who is your professor to question the purpose of another?

Couldn't he be asked if he (your professor) performs his seemingly altruistic profession for the sole purpose of the supporting the masses or is it for his selfish, self interest of enjoying what he does? Oh yeah, I enjoy frustrating people like that... :p