Do you guys know how to dress WELL?

ilikecharlene

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't believe in fashion (it's hollow and baseless), but I think a style should be simply what one likes and how one wants to portray themselves. If others don't like it, **** em.

In addition to that, the key is to wear well-fitting clothes that are clean and well pressed. One doesn't have to be fashionable per se, but simply attractively dressed.

P

perseverance

The in thing at the moment is plaid shirts, chinos and vans.

I wouldn't be caught dead in that stuff, even if you paid me.

Nicholas

Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, I know for myself that I can dress well. I also know that I can't afford things since I'm a student. For example, Levi's or Replay jeans are unaffordable out here.

If you don't have enought funds for a branded stuff and you want to upgrade your style, I would suggest buying other things that will distinct you from others - a nice wallet, belt and a watch. Also a zippo if you are a smoker.

That fancy shirt ain't gonna get you the girl, but if it's gonna put you in a mood for getting girls, then go for it. Max your appearance, always.

patrick.de

Don Juan
Reaction score
For guys, in my opinion, physique contributes much more to looks than clothes.
A well built guy in a plain white T-shirt and a decent pair of jeans looks way better than a skinny, pale dude in boatshoes, a RL polo and a LV belt.
An argument can be made for suits, they actually enhance your looks, but they only do in the right context. Wearing a suit to class will make you appear like a douchebag.

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I think fashion is right up there with being in shape if you have both great. For many guys it can enhance their appearance if they are skinny or a little overweight. I would even say it is even more important. While being fit and in shape is important, it doesn't necessarily transcend all situations in the way being fashionable can.

bigneil

Banned
Reaction score
You need both. Be in shape and dress like royalty. Have your own style, but if your style is T-shirts with corporate ads and cheap jeans, women will know it.

The key for a man's attractiveness is the ratio of his back to his waist. Same for women, with hip to waist ratio of .6 being optimal for fertility and not coincidentally beauty.

When you dress sharp you feel more confident, but it wears off if you don't get new outfits.

Last night my date said that lots of girls at her work commented on how well I dress. Had they said I was a slob, she wouldn't have been there.

BigSmooth

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Depends on what kind of look you want.

Since I'm from Texas and also in a fraternity, I feel that I have a bit of a different style than a lot of other members on this board.

What I usually wear to go out is a nice button-down shirt (also called a sports shirt) with either 6"-8" inseam chino shorts and boat shoes, whitewashed wranglers and cowboy boots, or slacks and loafers or boat shoes.

On a regular, laid-back day I just wear a t-shirt/short sleeve polo shirt, chino shorts, and either boat shoes, running shoes, or flip flops.

A classic look that everyone will look good in is the: navy blue blazer, light-colored button-down shirt, and slacks preferably light colored.

If you want to go for semi-preppyish/boating/golfer/old south confident look, get these into your wardrobe:

Sunglasses: Ray-bans

Top: 4-6 sports shirts of different colors, 3-5 dress shirts, a variety of polos, and several t-shirts.

Bottom: 2-3 slacks, 2-4 chino shorts (I like a smaller inseam), a couple athletic shorts, and a few pair of nice fitted jeans.

Shoes: Boatshoes, loafers, running shoes, flip flops.

As for brands, I'm not too familiar with the more formal businessy brands, but you might want to take a look at brands like: Vineyard vines, Southern Tide, Southern Marsh, Coast Apparel. Check out their websites.

Here's an example of that kind of look:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wegoall/bscsigmachi.com/galleries/808/1297108830929.jpg

bigneil

Banned
Reaction score
BigSmooth said:
A classic look that everyone will look good in is the: navy blue blazer, light-colored button-down shirt, and slacks preferably light colored.
Exactly. If you don't have a blue blazer you don't have a wardrobe. It works on an interview especially.

Down Low

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The bad thing about Texas is that heavy cottons are too hot for summer and breathe too much for winter, but that's what country/western clothing is all about. You'll never go wrong with a solid white longsleeve Oxford shirt over almost new Lee or Wrangler jeans (used to be Levis, but they went and got all sissified). Forget the trendy/trashy stuff. That's for goat ropers and Yankees. And never, ever wear wool, fleece, or leather jackets. Instead, get denim and thermal underwear. Maybe a corduroy blazer and some khakis too.

Nobody will dislike you for wearing a suit to church or court, but, bottom line, Texas is the last place on Earth you want to act like you're better than everyone else.

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I think many guys maybe afraid to dress well in different places where there maybe a more casual dresscode. I can kind of understand this. However dressing well is probably the best way to attract quality women, particularly if you are older:eek: . When you dress well the hot women start to appear. Suits, leather jackets, classy clothing probably makes you look more alpha once you are in your 30s and up.

In2theGame

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dress well i think differs from guy to guy depending on his body shape or his own personal style. I wear t shirts that compliment my body. Im lean with a V taper type shape. 6' tall and broad wide shoulders. I wear Armani Exchange T shirts, i love them and how they fit me and i wear nice Jeans from the gap. Nothing tight but not loose either. I either wear nice boots (timberland) or some new balance sneakers. i dont wear any jewelry and try to keep it simple but let my body do the talkin lol ;)

BigSmooth

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Vice said:
Well that really narrows it down :rolleyes:
Ha, I meant to say something along the style of Wayfarers. It's something that usually looks good on most people. Since I don't know the OP's face shape, I felt that suggestion was moderately safe.

Down Low said:
The bad thing about Texas is that heavy cottons are too hot for summer and breathe too much for winter, but that's what country/western clothing is all about. You'll never go wrong with a solid white longsleeve Oxford shirt over almost new Lee or Wrangler jeans (used to be Levis, but they went and got all sissified). Forget the trendy/trashy stuff. That's for goat ropers and Yankees. And never, ever wear wool, fleece, or leather jackets. Instead, get denim and thermal underwear. Maybe a corduroy blazer and some khakis too.

Nobody will dislike you for wearing a suit to church or court, but, bottom line, Texas is the last place on Earth you want to act like you're better than everyone else.

If it gets too hot, seersucker should do the job.

And I would actually suggest a nice fleece pullover (North Face, Columbia, Patagonia, etc.) It fits in to almost any wardrobe, and over the top trendy, but still has a nice style to it.

Down Low

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
BigSmooth said:
And I would actually suggest a nice fleece pullover (North Face, Columbia, Patagonia, etc.) It fits in to almost any wardrobe, and over the top trendy, but still has a nice style to it.
Texans don't eat lamb or wear fleece because of cattlemen's long-standing hatred of sheep herding (that destroys fragile long-hot-summer grassland by eating it down to the root). Texas is badly overgrazed and suffers obvious soil erosion as it is.

If you're trying to dress smartly, don't be dumb about the local culture.

Roosevelt

Banned
Reaction score
Well dressing well is very nice and it will take time. Time is very important and so i buy best branded clothes that give best attractive look to my personality and in this time is also saved.

LongLostFriend

Don Juan
Reaction score
The Art of Manliness blog has regular posts on fashion advice for men. Do some searching there for some great tips.

And, yeah, dressing one degree more formally than your peers will make you stand out to the ladies.

f283000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The best advice I can give is pretty simple, GET FITTED!

Throw away your old/big fittin shirts and go get some fitted shirts.

Express 1mx shirts fit great and get you noticed. Yes I know a lot of people hate express but the fact remains their 1mx fitted shirts fit better than anything I have found up to now.

Slim fit pants are also a must.

Ronaldo7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dressing well speaks louder than anything else. ANYONE who tells you that wearing a t-shirt and jeans is clearly deluded. That's common and boring. There is no style in wearing that.

Personally, i believe you can't go wrong with a suit. Dolce & Gabbana, Armani, Neiman Marcus are all great choices. A blazer also adds a nice touch.

Don't EVER shop at stores like JCP and others of the sort. That screams cheap, ugly, and no taste. You know you are wearing an Armani shirt from the texture and feel. You know you are wearing a shirt from those department stores just from the look of it.

From your post, it looks like you don't have much to spend. I suggest you go for Armani Exchange, since its the cheapest that will make you look semi-decent.

http://www.armaniexchange.com/