Do you believe in fate/destiny?

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
rocky_mtn said:
Don't accept defeat as your fate. Everybody's fate is to achieve and accomplish what they are willinl to work for. Believeing anything less is just giving up.

Fate and destiny will bring you the woman you were meant to be with. Sometimes it just take some extra effort.

Good point. But like Nighthawk stated (if I'm not mistaking)...there are also some things that we cannot control nor influence in our environment. However, we still have choices with our lives. The outcome might not be the one we want or expected (thanks to the curve balls that life brings us - e.g. things we cannot control). But still...we have choices.

rocky_mtn

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Latinoman said:
Good point. But like Nighthawk stated (if I'm not mistaking)...there are also some things that we cannot control nor influence in our environment. However, we still have choices with our lives. The outcome might not be the one we want or expected (thanks to the curve balls that life brings us - e.g. things we cannot control). But still...we have choices.
this comes to mind...

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference."
whether you believe in God or not, the point is to realize what you can change and what you can't change, and then focus your energy on what you can control. We make poor choices when we focus our energy on things that are out of our control, defeated by a battle that is impossible to win.

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Latinoman said:
With power or without it...you still have a choice.

You can choose to make a right turn or you can choose to take a left turn. Or you can choose to do...NOTHING.
it was actually another quote from the second matrix movie.

When I first heard this, it sort of whimsically passed me by. I thought it over a bit, and it really started to make sense. The concept of choice is a byproduct of the power we have; be it from money, or status. The same idea is true with the alpha leader having first choice. If the alpha and the omega want the same thing, the omega is effectively bereft of choice due to their position on status.

I guess one could conclude that choice is related to ones efforts ultimately, since most of us work on our inner game. Moreover, we work on ourselves and improving all aspects of life that give us power. But in the end, the basic corollary still stands.

lee36044

Don Juan
Reaction score
miguel t said:
Life is so fawking unfair ....
YES IT IS!

Good lord ... philosophy to agnosticism, Zen to movie quotes! How about another movie quote then. "There is no fate but what we make!" (Terminator 2, Judgement Day)

Choices? Predestination? Free will? Why not just put it in the context of Miguel's original comment/question?

The only people "fated" to be alone are those who won't put the effort into doing what it takes to be with someone! There is only one critical component required to succeed in most any endeavor. And that quite simply is the will to succeed! Without that, you will never inprove yourself! You will never take the chance of suffering rejection! You will never learn and then master the techniques and skills to be a "real" DJ. Without that will ... you might as well sit at home whining about being fated to be alone becasue the end result is the same!

So Miguel, put that same level of effort that got you the new car, new house, and great job into learning how to succeed with women. You won't regret it and you'll never ever wonder about "fate" again!

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The funny thing is, I find that the harder I work the luckier I seem to be.

I believe in Nature vs. Nurture as a standard, but there's one more element and that's my own free will. Nature is what's hardwired into our biology and psychology, Nurture is what we're taught and conditioned to. Both of these seem a lot like fate, but the final element is my own chioce - however colored by outside influence it may be - and this is what pulls the final trigger for the direction of my life.

So, fate/destiny vs. freewill? I think it's a little of both.

d9930380

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I had a friend who met her fiance here and within a month he moved back to America and my friend followed. They've been going now for 2.5 years.

They call that fate (they where supposed to be togeather), but who here would have moved across the other side of the world (stopping college etc) after only one month of knowing someone.

I think most people would be complaining years later who they let that perfect person go, that fate drove them apart.

Nah! As long as we have free-will, fate doesn't exist.

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
d9930380 said:
They call that fate (they where supposed to be togeather), but who here would have moved across the other side of the world (stopping college etc) after only one month of knowing someone.

I know of of stories about people (women mostly) moving from the Midwest in the U.S. to Lebanon following some kid that posted in MySpace.com.

People tend to do stupid things.

joekerr31

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
the harder you work the luckier seem to be is not hte whole picture guys.

with due respect... the motivation to work hard, the intelligence you have to perform certain work, etc. all are part of your predetermined potential.

in a strange way, like in the matrix, i believe we are free-est when we are conscious that 90% of life is out of our control.

its almost like, when you realize that it becomes much easier to try and potentialize the 10% that (might) be in our control.

and its almost like you get into synch with fate.

i believe everythign is fated, but i dont necessarily believe that fate is a static force that simply carries you along in a straight line.

in many respects its very much like a movie. you are sitting in the movie theatre and you are in control over NOTHING (on the screen). you are just sitting there experiencing the movie, yet nonetheless you are totally engrossed by the experience.

life is the same way, but to an even greater degree. its just one big experience that you get totally absorbed in - absorbed to such a degree that whether you are free or not is something you will never be able to know in an emprical way.

i can tell you this though, at this moment, as i write this post, im pretty sure that im NOT free to write anything other than what im writting.

sure i could write something other than what i wrote, but i didnt. and there's no way for me to ever know that i could have.

hehe.

free will and tying your d*ck in a knot are two mysteries that will haunt mankind forever.

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For once, I agree with t!tman. Fate, destiny, god, ghosts, and intelligent Americans are simply myths (aka. lies) developed by a culture obssessed with the unexplained.

If science can't explain it, then it doesn't exist.

squirrels

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A universe...where heartbreak and sadness have bee
We're all destined to write a book...which will begin with "Once upon a time..." and end with "...THE END."

That is our common fate. The rest is all details which we have to take care of ourselves.

mr_no

Reaction score
It's 50 - 50, speaking from experiance.
50 % is what you do, and the other 50 % what the world allows you too do.
You can't just think positive, do right things and be sure to succeed. You also need the opportunities that the world allows you to have. Accept that not everything is under your control, so if you don't succeed though you tried hard it's not your fault. All we can do is try. We don't have all the answers, and sometimes there are no answers, so we call it fate, destiny or god.

Beginner1

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey Miguel. Fate is something that is unexplainable and something that you could not prove in this world. There are so many things that exist in this world that you really cannot totally prove. For instance: How in the hell is planet Earth suspended in Mid F_ _ _ing Air. The scientists say that it is the gravitational forces of the moon (I think that is the scientific explaination) Please explain what the gravitational forces exactly are.

My point is that when you look at things that a higher power is in total control of everything in this world. You mind is at rest at you are at peace and you are not always trying to figure out exactly the way things work. They just do.

My situation has made me a total believer in fate. I am 27 and I have exhausted every possible way to meet a good decent girl. I am not bullsh _ ting. Clubs, Bars, Friends of friends, Online, you name it. I had plenty of dates but when I was with them, I just knew that it wasn't right. In my heart I knew it wasn't right. FINALLY, I got so fed up and exhausted that I decided to throw in the towel and turn it ower to fate. I said to myself if it is going to happen, than it will out of my control. I tried to control it and it didn't work. What happened? In less than a year I believe that I found the right one. She came came up to me, left me her number, she was beautiful, and I was baffled. Now ever since that day, I have been seeing little signs that lets me know that this is the one. Even though in reality, everything that this girl is on the surface is totally what I was against. I know she is the right one because for some odd reason, I have lost the desire to hunt for other chicks. I am totally content in waiting for this chick to come around and be totally what I know she will become. I also know this, and I am sure other guys will agree. When you found someone good, all off a sudden you are getting eyes and interest from girls from all angles and you cannot explain it. You have the scent. This is the testing process.

jonwon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am going to throw a concept at you.

Fate.

Picture life and time.

Now time as you know it is simply a false hood, the fact of time is that there exists no time but the present.
What exists is momentum of the object, through the present of here and now.

Take space for example to look at the stars is to look at your past, that is to look back in time at the sight you see, as it takes many millions of years for the light from the stars to reach out planet. So the concept of time is justly qualified, it is simply a momentum of an object/state i.e you travelling in the present. Everything else is made to try to map a certain ritual to time.

Time is in fact the man made concept of our worlds revolutions around the sun and the breaking of the night and day (moon and sun revolutions).
So time as you know it is simply a state of momentum of out world around an object. In that sense only the present is worth of note, since all else is simply past. This is kind-a weird but lets move onto Fate.

Does fate exist?

Put it this way, in a way fate does exists and it does not!

Lets assume every eventuality as been mapped out for you life, like a computer game with many endings, with the players choice in the here and now effecting that circumstance! This is similar to fate and your life imo. Simply put your choices you make in the here and now effect your fate. The difference in a computer game and Real life is you are not aware of the many branches of your Life/Fate.

Also which ever path you take as already been decided if we look at it, since if we where to jump into the future your life would simply be a product of your choices, influenced by what ever motivation influenced it. In that respect fate does exists since the path you are on is simply a product of your future, still it is influenced by choice. So choice regardless is your fate.

The only way possible to change ones future fate would be to jump in time and see your life and know the choices you made to get to that stage )or go back in time and change a choice) Then you could pick a choice and change it, thus changing your fate.
Still this is fate regardless because we could jump even further and see the choices you made in going to the future to effect your fate was in fact part of your fate and was ment to be!

The thing with fate is not to concern yourself with-it simply act on the present here and now due to motivation.

In the concept of a girl, well just go for it or not, this is a product of choice and where fate comes in, it already knows what you choose.

At the end of the day you choose your fate, all of it.