Convertibles literally ARE chick magnets!

Archaxis

Don Juan
Reaction score
But seriously, idiotically large wheels? your starting to sound like my grandpa, and last I checked, he wasn't much of a dj.
Maybe not, but appearently he has better taste in automotive accesories than yourself.

and who gives a **** about motorsports? as long as the females are getting all worked up over my chromies, I see no reason to ditch them.
I dunno, who gives a fvck about basketball... who gives a fvuk about football... or any sport? Lots of people who are interested it in it... there ARE things in this world other than girls you know. :rolleyes:

and what was that unsprung mass/suspension frequencies garbage you're talking about?
Try reading a book... it's a suspension performance concideration, we WERE talking about high performance cars here, weren't we, so wheel frequencies are a vaild point weather "females" get it or not. You wouldn't show up at he B-ball court in wooden plaform boots telling people that you were a baketball player, why would you do the same to your car? Join the 21st century, homie... :trouble:

ValleyDJing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Responses in bold.

Archaxis said:
Maybe not, but appearently he has better taste in automotive accesories than yourself.

I dont think so. My grandpa drives a buick. :crackup:

I dunno, who gives a fvck about basketball... who gives a fvuk about football... or any sport? Lots of people who are interested it in it... there ARE things in this world other than girls you know. :rolleyes:

Motorsports other than street racing is either retarded (drifting) or for rednecks (nascar/indy racing). Thats what I meant by who gives a f.uck about motorsports.

Try reading a book... it's a suspension performance concideration, we WERE talking about high performance cars here, weren't we, so wheel frequencies are a vaild point weather "females" get it or not. You wouldn't show up at he B-ball court in wooden plaform boots telling people that you were a baketball player, why would you do the same to your car? Join the 21st century, homie... :trouble:
I read lots of books thank you. I didn't quite fully comprehend this paragraph (I'm sure I can count on you to supply the verbal jab at my apparent lack of reading comprehension skills), but I thought you were gonna tell me something about how having big rims is bad for your car. And I was ginuinely interested in your answer. But instead I get some mess about basketball and wooden clogs? :confused: You lost me there. And we were talking about convertibles and chrome rims as far as I remember, not high performance vehicles (too lazy to go back and check so you may be right).
Join you in the 21st century?! are you kidding me?! :crackup: I could say the same thing about you...G! :crackup:

S1NN3R

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ValleyDJing said:
Motorsports other than street racing is either retarded (drifting) or for rednecks (nascar/indy racing). Thats what I meant by who gives a f.uck about motorsports.
Wow. If I'd realized you were this kind of person, I wouldn't have wasted my time responding to you. Street racing is for the posers who know their car is slow and don't want their 16 second 1/4 mile time shown to people in the stands in big light up numbers.

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

This is why Le Mans rules.

Archaxis

Don Juan
Reaction score
ValleyDJing said:
Responses in bold.

I read lots of books thank you. I didn't quite fully comprehend this paragraph (I'm sure I can count on you to supply the verbal jab at my apparent lack of reading comprehension skills), but I thought you were gonna tell me something about how having big rims is bad for your car. And I was ginuinely interested in your answer. But instead I get some mess about basketball and wooden clogs? :confused: You lost me there. And we were talking about convertibles and chrome rims as far as I remember, not high performance vehicles (too lazy to go back and check so you may be right). Join you in the 21st century?! are you kidding me?! :crackup: I could say the same thing about you...G! :crackup:
I dunno... the stack of automotive publications on my desk right now are comprised MOSTLY of issues of either Racecar Engineering, or Race Tech... and I wholeheartedly consider articles about Inconel exhausts, Z-pinning composites, and finite element analysis to be 21st century. So yeah, you can say what you want.

As for wheel frequencies, it's a formula based on the relationship between the mass of the unsprung corner (wheel, tire, brake, upright, outboard ends of the suspension system, etc.) working against the weight of the sprung part of the vehicle, and is telling of how QUICKLY the wheel, etc. can react to a bump or other irregularity in the road surface. The LIGHTER the unsprung mass, the QUICKER the contact patch of the tire can find itself back to adhesion with the road. Hence the use of carbon brake components, magnesium wheels, fabricated uprights and suspension arms, and even lighter materials in tire construction.

Also, wheels are part of the rotating inertia on an automobile, being a contributor to gyroscopic effects (resisting change in direction) as well as being a factor in parasitic losses in horsepower. While there are certain advantages to a larger wheel tire package (accommodating larger brakes and more circumferential tire surface to dissipate heat and add tire longevity) there is a definite logical limit to this where your brakes are as large as they could feasibly need to be (a 400 mm(!) rotor will fit into a 19" wheel) and a larger wheel/tire package impinges further into the frontal area incurring more aerodynamic drag.

The other part of the stupidity of the massive wheel trend, is that they are almost always paired with extremely low profile tires. Now, while a short sidewall is helpful in its resistance to flex, one should not forget that tire deformation is a critical part of the car's suspension system (not to mention one of the most adjustable) and going too extreme on this end of the spectrum often results in poor handling / ride quality, particularly in heavier vehicles. I'd default to racecar engineer Paul VanVulkenberg over 50 Cent for wheel advice... but that's just me.

Archaxis

Don Juan
Reaction score
BacardiGuy said:
I'm more of a Formula 1 guy myself
Yup, even in this Mosley-Eccelstone gone mad era, there's still a lot of good there. Also gotta love Le Mans/ALMS/LMES, MotoGP, WRC, British Sprint Hillclimbing, Dakar, and the TT.

ValleyDJing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I guess I get most of what you're saying. Pretty much a lot of technical jargon in there, but point taken. I get what you're saying about big wheels being bad for your car or whatever, I never doubted you on that.

...I still find it laughable that you think I'm living behind the times 'cause I think big chrome rims are cool. :crackup: Actually, cracks me up everytime I think about it! I mean, I wonder why having chrome rims makes the cost of the car actually go up? And why does everyone...wait let me rephrase that...all the younger generations see nice rims and point and gawk? I mean, you could drive an Escolade and still have plain rims, but when you park next to one with 24" chrome spinners, that hot chick ain't gonna give your car a second glance.

Archaxis

Don Juan
Reaction score
S1NN3R said:
And the only thing capable of beating the new Z06 around the Nurburgring racetrack in Germany is the $400k Porsche Carrera GT. It even beat out the $170k Porsche GT2.
Not true... Radical SR3 Turbo, Donkervoort DS8-RS, and the Radical SR8 (with an eye-popping 6:55) are all quicker (and street legal) around the the Nordschelife. Not that we can get any of the above here in the U.S. :cry:

Archaxis

Don Juan
Reaction score
I mean, you could drive an Escolade and still have plain rims, but when you park next to one with 24" chrome spinners, that hot chick ain't gonna give your car a second glance.
You couldn't part my dead body up into a thousand pieces and pour it into an Escalade. :crackup: It'd reconstitute T-1000 style and kick your a$$ for trying. And spinners are undoubtedly on the top ten worst things to happen to the automobile... ever. The **** that came up with them should be tried publiclly executed in a thouroughly gruesome manner so as to deter any other garrish concepts from ever coming to fruition.

Archaxis

Don Juan
Reaction score
ValleyDJing said:
And why does everyone...wait let me rephrase that...all the younger generations see nice rims and point and gawk?
Because they're retards that watch to much MTV, simple as that. They wear fvcking eighties style aviator sunglasses too, that doesn't mean that they're up-to-date, just "hip'. [makes masturbation motion with hand]

S1NN3R

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Archaxis said:
Not true... Radical SR3 Turbo, Donkervoort DS8-RS, and the Radical SR8 (with an eye-popping 6:55) are all quicker (and street legal) around the the Nordschelife. Not that we can get any of the above here in the U.S. :cry:
I suppose I should have clarified "regular production cars"... :D

ValleyDJing said:
I mean, you could drive an Escolade and still have plain rims, but when you park next to one with 24" chrome spinners, that hot chick ain't gonna give your car a second glance.
See, you're one of the ones who's bought into the marketing hype that any girl is going to give a sh!t about your 24" chrome spinners. I live in the second most shallow city in the US, and I have not met a single girl (and I've met most of them) who would do anything but roll their eyes at spinners. But that's not what all the advertisements in DUB magazine show, so I can understand your confusion.

BacardiGuy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
S1NN3R said:
I suppose I should have clarified "regular production cars"... :D
Those are regular production cars.

Well, as regular as a Carrera GT anyway.

Archaxis, we're making progress though, we are getting the Atom after all.

ValleyDJing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
personally, I'm not big on the escolades either. come to think of it, I'm not big on SUV's period. I just used it as an example cause that seems to be the popular car to put spinners on. And I don't necessarily think they look good on every car. actually there are very few cars they look good on. but the ones they do look good on...goddamn!

and maybe they are all retards, that dont change the fact that everybody likes em. They're the style...maybe the trend might fade away in a couple years, maybe not. so switch then. There ain't a damn thing wrong with following trends. S.hit, you don't wear the same style of clothing as you did when you were 8 do you? no, you won't always like the same car accessories as you do when you're 20.

Do I think girls give a s.hit about spinners? maybe not. But I'm telling you this, they do give a s.hit about cars. They may not point at your rims and say, "wow 18" ADR sterns" or whatever the f.uck you got, but ask em which car looks better, and I promise you that they'll point to the one with chrome on it as opposed to the ones with stock aluminum hubcaps or the white plastic ricer rims or whatever the f.uck you like. and I don't know what the f.uck a t1000 is.

ValleyDJing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
also, just out of curiosity, what are the rest of the top 10 worst things to happen to automobiles...in your opinion? god do I even want to know?

S1NN3R

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
1. Spinners

2. "Performance" exhausts for V6 Mustangs

3. Spinners

4. "NOS" stickers

5. Spinners

6. Non-functional hoodscoops (like the ones you would put on a V6 Mustang)

7. Spinners

8. "SRT appearance package" for the regular Neon

9. Spinners

10. BMW's SMG transmission

ValleyDJing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
S1NN3R said:
1. Spinners
2. "Performance" exhausts for V6 Mustangs
4. "NOS" stickers
6. Non-functional hoodscoops (like the ones you would put on a V6 Mustang)
8. "SRT appearance package" for the regular Neon
10. BMW's SMG transmission
spinners- i like, as do most of the sane population
exhaust for V6 mustangs- I want one and i'm assuming you're just taken a jab at me here
nos stickers- agree with you on that one
hoodscoops- have one, again another jab at me
srt- well i agree, but then again, I think neons are a mistake so...
smg trans.- don't even know what that is

anyways, tag teamin on me huh? well thats okay cause I seem to be the only one who has his head out of his ass and seen the cars driving around town. whatever.

S1NN3R

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ValleyDJing said:
spinners- i like, as do most of the sane population

anyways, tag teamin on me huh? well thats okay cause I seem to be the only one who has his head out of his ass and seen the cars driving around town. whatever.
I don't know where you're getting your information, but "most of the sane population" laugh their asses off at spinners. The only people who think they're cool are the wanna-be gansta types who think it makes them look "hard". Every person I see rocking spinners is some ghetto fcuk, usually with lots of gold trim on the car and DUB stickers on the fender. Cars with spinners are today's lowriders. Lowriders were tacky back then, they're tacky now.

Big ass spinners are also the best way possible to fcuk up your ride quality, handling capability, straight line acceleration and fuel economy. Again, stop reading DUB magazine for all your automotive information, and maybe you'll catch on.

ValleyDJing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
S1NN3R said:
I don't know where you're getting your information, but "most of the sane population" laugh their asses off at spinners. The only people who think they're cool are the wanna-be gansta types who think it makes them look "hard". Every person I see rocking spinners is some ghetto fcuk, usually with lots of gold trim on the car and DUB stickers on the fender. Cars with spinners are today's lowriders. Lowriders were tacky back then, they're tacky now.

Big ass spinners are also the best way possible to fcuk up your ride quality, handling capability, straight line acceleration and fuel economy. Again, stop reading DUB magazine for all your automotive information, and maybe you'll catch on.
not talking about spinners here. just chrome in general. and for the record, I totally forgot DUB magazine even existed until you mentioned it here, let alone read it. and wanna be gangsta types? thats funny, even my mom (an ex police officer, about as far away from wanna be gangsta as you can possibly get) likes em...in addition to practically everyone else I've ever known.

and tiny ass rims are the best way possible to look like every other schmuck on the street with no cash, driving his mama's sedan. :D