Commercials which promotes AFCness

DJDamage

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/w/AXE.?v=XIK8buU_60k&search=AXE

More and more men are buying this product those days and I believe its because of these kind of commercials. Typical commercial is showing an AFC that is shy around girls so he puts on AXE body spray and the dud turns to stud. Then he gets noticed by the girl and she becomes the aggressive one (an AFC fantasy of wanting the women to take control which is not going to happen) and that is the only way he is able to get some.

Do we really need bodyspray?? fvck if you take regular showers put on some detodrant and then put a bit of a cologne on why the hell would you need BODYSPRAY?? (your cloths and body will stink even more if you sweat) once again sex sells and people buying stuff they don't really need. Someone out there in the near future is going to make a billion dollars if they are going to make minty fresh spray for your balls!!!

Maybe these guys who were dumb enough to buy this product for the sole purpose of attracting women should sue the company because if they couldn't get girls before that they won't be able to after that!!

End Rant!

DjDamage

kinesis

Don Juan
Reaction score
Word. Have you smelled that crap, by the way? Musky gorilla balls dipped in Channel perfume my man.

Le Parisien

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Come on, it's just a funny commercial, sane people won't take it seriously...
:D

By the way it's the French version (the female off screen voice spoke in French), with the final touch of humor: the homosexual biker guy.
In the american version, the message is more straightforward and less funny: they put a hot blond girl instead of the biker.
Basically: use Axe, blond or brunette all the hotties will have sex with you!
:crackup:

Anyone field-tested?

DJDamage

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Le Parisien
Come on, it's just a funny commercial, sane people won't take it seriously...
The simple fact that people are buying it based on a commercial alone is enough. They needed to give men a reason to spray their bodies not to smell good (because they should already be smelling good) but rather smelling so good that it will be irressitable to the opposite sex. It is another way of showing that their is a problem among majority of men to attract hot women and the solution is more products in hope it will work (buy more sh1t and women will want you more) along the lines of get a surgeroy if you are unattractive or fat, have gay guys decorate your house because stright men are clueless,get into a job you hate but do it for the money so you can snag a wife and buy her a big house and two cars.

When the message keeps hampering into our brains like that everyday we end up doing those things on an subconscious level and accept it as the new reality.

DjDamage

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I find the AXE commercials less offensive than the latest one of some overweight wife being interviewed about some financial decisions while her husband does some goofy dance in the background and she rolls her eyes and looks embarassed.

Or the one for southwest airlines, where the woman is showing off her new home webcam from her computer to her coworkers at the office in order to see her little dog when her husband appears on screen in his boxers eating a donut and displaying his huge, hairy gut - "wanna get away?"

Not really promoting AFCness per se, but it's acceptable to have a male in the role of ridicule. The AXE commercial does this as well from a more pervasive standpoint. Rather than indirectly ridicule men, it directly mocks them by presenting the idea to women that men "really are stupid enough to buy this thinking that it'll get them laid."

Working in advertising myself I can tell you that this sh!t doesn't happen by accident when a primetime TV commercial can cost more than a million dollars in some markets. I understand their marketing strategy is meant to be over the top, in a tounge in cheek manner, but it had to have been focus group tested for effectiveness prior to the company spending it's money.

JC9

Don Juan
Reaction score
While I agree that people shouldn't watch the commercial and then buy AXE/Tag/Whatver and think girls will smell it and jump on you, there are benefits to those products.

I have been using axe for a while when I go out to bars. Later in the night when you are making out with a girl she will smell the brief lingering scent of the axe mixed with your natural pheremones and it is quite effective.

On almost all occasions I have had the girl tell me that I smell good. She then proceeds to smell up and down my neck and upper chest, which is a great time to start smelling her neck as well. The effect on her arousal state is huge at this point.

So, in conclusion, these products do not help you attract a girl but they can definately be another plus in the final stages of seduction.

DoubleA

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The Washington Post wrote....

Here is an article from The Washington Post...

" " It's still possible to advertise to men using sex, and to do so without offending women, says Marshall Ross, the chief creative officer at Cramer-Krasselt, a Chicago-based ad agency that handles such companies as Hyatt Hotels, Corona beer and the Popeyes fast-food chain.

He points to ads for Axe body spray. The campaign, aimed at young men, whose slogan is "How Dirty Boys Get Clean," promotes the notion that a guy who uses the product will be fighting women off (a theme employed long ago by the makers of a cologne called Hai Karate).

"The genius of those ads is that they're sexual but they're smart," he says. "They demand that the audience take the leap and fill in the blanks. . . . The challenge is to use an age-old magnet [sex] in a new way that reflects modern sensibilities." "

Here is the link....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/30/AR2005123001558_2.html

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ive used Axe and havent noticed any difference really between that and cologne. In fact, I get more compliments from my 4 year-old bottle of Eternity than I do from axe. I personally think it smells good...warm, but not overpowering. But you have to admit, it's good (?!) advertising. They are making a killing. Hell, I bought it! :eek:

DoubleA

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I've used it and I can honestly say, it's not bad. But Colossus you're right, there is no substitute for a old or new bottle of cologne.

I mean women do throw nice comments about the smell, but a tool is only as good as it's master... :D

legolas

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
For the record, I thought this study might be interesting:

Male Sweat
Funny how scientists are now lookingto find the chemical that is contained in the sweat so perfume manufacturers can incorpororate it in their products.

I can see it now:

Axe Sweat!!

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
DAMAGE: Saw it. We should keep this thread going and archive these commercials.

This one would've been great if not for the ending.

Michelob Amber

legolas

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I thought that particular one was ok, there have been others out there that are far worse offenders. I can think of that one with the old black couple and the young white couple where the guy is supposedly out on a date and is giving her some kind jewlery, and the old man comments "Oh, he's a smart one, he knows what to do" In fact all the friggin' valentine day comercials get on my nerves. It's the thought that counts, and the feeling she gest, and this feeling is by no means realtive to the sixe of the gift or the price of it.

legolas

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Here's another one. Again, these comercials are so bad because you only remember the comercial not the company. By the way in terms of ads, GoDaddy.com ads are the best. They're memorable and unique and branded, meaning that by now everyone refers to that chick as the godaddy chick which reminds people of the company name.

In this ad, the boss is talking to a guy saying how he's sending some woman to the conference and not him, because she's better at thinking on her feet. It takes him 20seconds to say "I can think on my feet" thereby proving the boss' point. I think it was about some hotel suites or something.

Not exactly promoting AFCness but the stupidity of men in general.

Warlord

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Actually, AXE smells good.. I wouldn't say it promotes "AFCness" How is it "AFC" to keep yourself smelling good or at least an attempt to be hygenic.

Your argument has zero evidence for that.

DJDamage

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Warlord
Actually, AXE smells good.. I wouldn't say it promotes "AFCness" How is it "AFC" to keep yourself smelling good or at least an attempt to be hygenic.

Your argument has zero evidence for that.
My argument has plenty evidence (your only mad because you are a user of the product and you try to justify your answer). Its not about the product but what the product promotes and how its being promoted. The fact of the matter is that you really don't need AXE because most men already have been hygenic and smell good for years by taking regular showers, using deodrant and spraying some cologne. Those were enough to attract women if one already was able to attract women.

Peronally I think thats enough but advertisers needed to attract these consumers that maintained all that and still get no ass. They advertise this prodcut as being like a super pheromone. A guy that is getting no ass is thinking that by getting this product it will help him. Its another scheming way to tell the consumer that AXE is a DEAL BREAKER between getting some and getting none.

It is the same guy that has no game and believes that buying more expensive trendy cloths and buying a more expensive trendy car will.

Most men who buy this product did not buy it because they smell this prodcut on another guy's body and thought it was really good but rather bought it because they saw a commercial of an AFC that is getting some and that triggered something inside them. Sex always sells.

DjDamage

DJDamage

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
And the award for the most AFCness commercial goes to: Dr. Pepper - I will do anything for love :down:

http://www.youtube.com/w/Dr.-Pepper...or-love..."?v=93WNfPr7izQ&search= commercials

This commercial attempts to poke fun at the pussfied man, however it fails misrably (since the girl's attraction remains high each time. This reinforces the message to the AFC's out there to keep doing what they normally do and that is supplicating for approval in order to make the girl happy). Just when you think this douch bag is actually going to grow a pair down there he takes the Dr Pepper away from her and runs to the streets!! Victory for men!! yes!!!:rolleyes:

I thought Dr Pepper had a bad tasting prodcut to begin with but I didn't know their commercials were even worse.

DjDamage