College Football

ValleyDJing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, I noticed there were several threads for the NFL, but I was wondering if there are any college football fans around.

Me personally, I'll take college football over the NFL any day of the week. The pagentry, the rivalries, tradition, not to mention these guys play for more than a paycheck (actually they don't play for a paycheck at all). They play for pride, respect, the fans, the schools, and at the very base, their education and futures.

I find the games much more exciting as well, given the variety of offensive schemes like the option, fun n gun (my personal fave), wishbone, traditional west coast style, etc. In addition to that, because there are more teams, there are more games, thus increasing the chances that you'll see something incredible from week to week.

Some may argue that the NFL has more parity, so anybody can win week to week. But I actually think this is more boring. Blowouts are much rarer, "upsets" aren't really upsets, and all the games seem to have the same basic score of 31-24 or something like that.

Anyways, I just wanted to start a college football thread, see who likes it, who your favorite teams are and why, predictions, anything really.

ValleyDJing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Almost forgot: Florida Gators baby! 2006 SEC East Champs! I just started watching them in the early 90's when Spurrier came along and they were so fun to watch. Been rooting for em ever since. I bleed the orange and blue and I always say I should've been born in Gainesville.

Also like the Fresno State Bulldogs (hometown team, gotta represent you know?), they're having a down year and I'm kinda disappointed though.

DrMetallica

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Agreed. I didn't enjoy football much before I went to university, and some friends had to drag me to the first game I went to, but after I went to the first game... I always go now. It is so FUN!

RedPill

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
Do you think Rutgers should get to play for the national championship if they remain undefeated?
Hell yeah they should. Undefeated, plus victories over Louisville and West Virgina? Are you kidding me? The Big East isn't that weak.

If Rutgers loses, however, look out! All those one-loss teams will have to start running election-style campaigns for the pollsters and the BCS powers-that-be. And of course, what would happen if the Michigan/Ohio State loser still ranks second after losing a close game? Would they dare play a rematch for the national title?

ValleyDJing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
RedPill said:
Hell yeah they should. Undefeated, plus victories over Louisville and West Virgina? Are you kidding me? The Big East isn't that weak.

If Rutgers loses, however, look out! All those one-loss teams will have to start running election-style campaigns for the pollsters and the BCS powers-that-be. And of course, what would happen if the Michigan/Ohio State loser still ranks second after losing a close game? Would they dare play a rematch for the national title?
I hope not. With a win today, my gators should move up to number 2 in the bcs. I'm hoping they can win out and get in the title game. I don't think Rutgers can get in anyways. Not When you got Florida with wins over Tennessee, LSU, Georgia, FSU (if it happens), South Carolina today, and a decent Alabama team.

Bling

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ValleyDJing said:
I hope not. With a win today, my gators should move up to number 2 in the bcs.
Over OSU and Michigan? They're undefeated.. maybe you're talking about next week.

ValleyDJing said:
I'm hoping they can win out and get in the title game. I don't think Rutgers can get in anyways. Not When you got Florida with wins over Tennessee, LSU, Georgia, FSU (if it happens), South Carolina today, and a decent Alabama team.
and if you count the fact that Texas would be undefeated if they lost to OSU? That holds more merit to me. Everyone has their hard teams, but if your only loss is against the best team in the nation rather than a team that has losses against Arkansas (or was it SC?) and Georgia, you deserve it more.

But the two teams should simply be Rutgers and OSU/UM. No questions asked.

Oh yeah... my FSU team sucks, so of course I have a bias, but c'mon, UF definitely doesn't deserve it more than Texas. If Texas lost, then it should be Florida.

MetalFortress

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ValleyDJing said:
Me personally, I'll take college football over the NFL any day of the week. The pagentry, the rivalries, tradition, not to mention these guys play for more than a paycheck (actually they don't play for a paycheck at all). They play for pride, respect, the fans, the schools, and at the very base, their education and futures.
Be real. They play for the dream of having that NFL career and that paycheck.

ValleyDJing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MetalFortress said:
Be real. They play for the dream of having that NFL career and that paycheck.
Hence the reason I said they play for their futures. The last reason on my list.

And bling, my bad. Number 3 is what I meant. Texas doesn't deserve it over Florida. Who'd they beat? Seriously.

Bottom line, Texas got rocked at home. Florida's only defeat was by 4 (that last td was in garbage time so it doesn't count) on the road, against a team that you know could give ohio state a run. Oh and I hate blaming refs, but that b.s. nonexistant "tuck rule" call didn't help either. Not only that, but Auburn didn't so much beat Florida as Florida beat themselves. Texas, they just whupped.

UF has quality wins over LSU, Tennessee on the road, both whom can play with anybody in the country. They also beat Georgia, who's no pushover as you say today against Auburn, South Carolina (who's given Tennessee, Auburn, and Arkansas a run), and a decent Alabama team. Hopefully they'll have future wins against FSU (having a down year, but still a quality win) and if they win the SEC championship, come on.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
watch out for arkansas... unlike the last two years when everyone knewt hey could run, they can and will beat you with the pass just enough to keep 8 or 9 out the box.. and they can put Darren McFadden at QB

ValleyDJing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I gotta admit, the Razorbacks have me worried. And what the hell happened to them on opening week? I mean the trojans just had themselves a hog barbeque, and then all of the sudden...Arkansas's tearing up the SEC?!

Mitch Mustain, do you have a man crush on him or something? I mean, why did you give yourself that user name? I like florida and all, but you don't see me putting chris leak as my username. haha

Bling

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ValleyDJing said:
Hence the reason I said they play for their futures. The last reason on my list.

And bling, my bad. Number 3 is what I meant. Texas doesn't deserve it over Florida. Who'd they beat? Seriously.

Bottom line, Texas got rocked at home. Florida's only defeat was by 4 (that last td was in garbage time so it doesn't count) on the road, against a team that you know could give ohio state a run. Oh and I hate blaming refs, but that b.s. nonexistant "tuck rule" call didn't help either. Not only that, but Auburn didn't so much beat Florida as Florida beat themselves. Texas, they just whupped.

UF has quality wins over LSU, Tennessee on the road, both whom can play with anybody in the country. They also beat Georgia, who's no pushover as you say today against Auburn, South Carolina (who's given Tennessee, Auburn, and Arkansas a run), and a decent Alabama team. Hopefully they'll have future wins against FSU (having a down year, but still a quality win) and if they win the SEC championship, come on.
College football is all about the sexiness of the team, and what have you done for me lately... I don't know your schedule, but sounds to me like your hard part is over. Don't be surprised if USC (who plays ND and Cal) jumps you.

But I won't disagree that UF's schedule makes it a pretty impressive season for them. They deserve to be in the BCS if they're chosen.

PRMoon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rutgers likely will not make it to the national championship even if they win out this year because they don't play any strong oppoents for the rest of the year. That plays a big factor in BCS Ranking as well as strength of victory in which they're not really credible.

Flordia will likely be number 3 this week being edged out by Michigan. The problem is that even if Michigan loses next week to Ohio State or vice versa, there's a good chance that Florida might get frozen out because it's already a one loss team and they're playing I believe Western Carolina (who?) next week so even with a serious blow out their opponent isn't exactly a fighting force so they might not rack up the points. If Michigan wins then it's almost entirely certian that Ohio State will bump to number 2 freezing Florida out. Dems the brakes with the BCS.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you think the closeness of the Ohio State-michigan game would be enough of a factor to drop the loser below #2 if they get blown out?

Also, do you think a convincing win over West Va would still not be enough for Rutgers? Florida barely got by South Carolina yesterday.

PRMoon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The loser MIGHT drop to number 3 if it's a blow out but again even if Ohio State does get blown out, and they win out the remaining three games, they'll likely still have enough points in the BCS to play in the national championship. Obviously the winner of "judgement day" will have accrued enough points to be in the national chamionship with little worries about one loss in the last three games.

As for Rutgers, I would not hold my breath about a national chamionship with them even with a win over West Virginia. Even with that win that would be exactly 2 wins over ranked opponents. The rest of their schedule was fluff so while the cinderalla story sounds nice, it's just not very realistic. I think they're currently ranked number 7 in several polls so they'll be in a BCS Bowl for sure but they won't be playing for the national chamionship unless SEVERAL teams lose the remaining games on their schedule and them to win out which, obviously is highly unlikely.

ValleyDJing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
1. South Carolina is a good team. Yes I know they've lost 5 games, but look at who they lost em to. Thats why Florida is a great team. Where south carolina was good, they found ways to lose their games. Florida was good, then they found ways to win. I miss the days of Spurrier hanging 40 on everybody we played but, hey, I gotta take the wins.

2. I think the names of Florida and the SEC carry a lot of weight, as they should. That might be enough to propel them over the loser of OSU Mich.

3. I changed my mind about Arkansas, I'm not worried about them. They aren't gonna be able to do squat against Florida's D.

4. I don't see SC making it out of their next 2 games against Notre Dame and Cal alive.

PRMoon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well doesn't look like it matters for florida anyway. BCS rankings are out and Florida is number 4 behind USC anyway. I guess that big win they had on Saturday got them enough points to edge them out. They scored .8699 to Floridas .8495 which is a slight edge out.

ValleyDJing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
They should just call it B.S. and drop the c. USC loses like 2 weeks ago to an unranked team. Florida loses 4 weeks ago to a ranked team, plus a stronger schedule through 10 games. Absolute horses.hit! Its like they're giving USC credit for wins against Notre Dame and Cal already. The media (particularly Mark May of ESPN, I'll bet he's masturbating to the BCS rankings right now) just can't get off of USC's d.ick. Unbelievable. :cuss:

BTW PRMoon, who's your team?

PRMoon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm from maryland originally so I route for the terps from time to time. Same with UNLV cause I live in Vegas. Ultimately though I like Tennesee. I've been a big Vols fan for years now even though they typically let down during the season or in the post. This year being no exception after saturday's shalacking they recived via Arkansas. Oh well there's always next year and my girlfriends team (Auburn) is out of it too so I don't have to hear anything from her from now on...I guess there's a bright side to everything:p