Cloverfield

(JJ)

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't take your girl to see it if she has any problems with some kind of motion sickness!!! I made this mistake and went from almost assuredly shedding some clothes this evening at her house to her saying "oh man my stomach hurts i need to go to sleep :( ". ugh. how frustrating. id say that you could go see it with your buddies though cuz it was actually kinda entertaining. it's just the way they filmed it is really shaky. and apparently nauseating. :cuss: that's all i've got to say. yall can discuss if you want though. lol

Capt.Jack Sparrow

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Aboleo said:
So... it's a Godzilla movie, right?

Its what it said on wikipedia. Lol

It said that we (the U.S.) needed a monster figure like godzilla. SO they made this thing. o_o It said king kong was too adorable.

Potbelly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
dumb movie...rip off. doesn't even give you a fvckin ending. retarded sh1t. good thing my buddy bought my tix

Sanity_Cleaver

Don Juan
Reaction score
I disagree. I thought the film was incredible.

As far as monster movies go it took a unique edge to it- albeit not an entirely original one- and portrayed its events through characters you would not normally even consider in such a story. Yes, i felt the ending was far too abrupt, but that hasnt stopped me from thinking about it since- its enhanced it if anything.
Despite its depiction of a completely unlikely scenario, it is the scariest movie i have seen for some time- not just because of cheap shock thrills, they're everywhere- but because it plays upon the paranoia-induced fears of our time. Post 9/11 everyone in some big city is wary of impending war or terrrorism, and this shows exactly what could happen in such a scenario.
I do believe its worth seeing as it is a really interesting cinematic take on an old classic theme- and especially if you like rockets, bombs and special effects. THAT THING IS A BEAST!!

Cloverfield is destined to become a cult movie. You will either love it or hate it. There doesnt seem to be an in-between.

Maxtro

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wish people would stop saying it's like a Godzilla movie. The only similarity it has to a Godzilla movie is that it's a giant monster attacking a city. Godzilla movies are all about Godzilla but this movie was not really about the monster. It was about the group of people trying to survive. Also Godziall always has a motive a purpose, and most times he ends up fighting another giant monster.

Still I enjoyed it. As long as you understood that the whole movie takes place on one tape and that you (the audience) is watching that tape, instead of being there then everything is more forgivable. Some may hate the ending but unfortunately thats all that was on the tape. It's not a feel good movie, it's supposed to be "real."

Victory Unlimited

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, I liked it a lot actually. But the guy is right about the motion sickness warning though. I got used to it pretty quickly though.

A testimony to the filmmakers is that at the start of the movie the camera work is jumpy, but by the 15 minute or so mark, it is LESS jumpy. And that seems to make perfect sense in that the character in the movie who is operating the camera is just learning how to use it-----so it SHOULD have gotten a little better, and it did.

I say that it was a very clever premise, it's like what if the cast of FRIENDS, flimed one of their parties and it turned into a BLAIR WITCH PROJECT sequel------where GODZILLA and ALIENS teamed up to "crash" their party. lol

A new genre has been born and seems to be thriving...I call it:

DOCU-HORROR!

So remember, you heard it here, first, solders. lol

March on.

coacj

Don Juan
Reaction score
saw it on saturday with this girl, we both liked, the way the camera was moving around you felt like you were on a Back to the Future ride at Universal Studios.
the movie wasnt scary but there are scenes that make you jump, well my date jumped a couple of times, LOL. For anyone curious i would say "Go see it for yourself ".
this is what the monster looks like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxQ24jnVcmI

Rebound Material

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yea, I thought it was a very good movie actually. It was from a point of view that a regular "Godzilla" movie wouldnt give credit to. Alot of suspense and emotion thrown in. I wouldnt say that the movie got me nauseated because Im not too prone to that. What did piss me off a few times was whenever they were about to catch the monster on film stupid Hud would pan the camera to his freinds/peoples facial expressions instead.

Brules Rules

Don Juan
Reaction score
Maxtro said:
I wish people would stop saying it's like a Godzilla movie. The only similarity it has to a Godzilla movie is that it's a giant monster attacking a city. Godzilla movies are all about Godzilla but this movie was not really about the monster. It was about the group of people trying to survive. Also Godziall always has a motive a purpose, and most times he ends up fighting another giant monster.
Actually, it's a lot like the original Godzilla, or rather Gojira, as the version originally releases in America with Raymond Burr cut out a lot of the character development.

Some similarities:

Both are allegories to disasters. Godzilla to the nuclear bombing of Nagasaki and Hiroshima / Cloverfield to 9-11.

Both have a love story pivotal to the plot.

Both feature dramatic sacrifices.

Both monsters originate from the sea (Abrams says the monster came from the ocean, and that it was woken or disturbed by a satellite falling into the sea, which you witness during the ferris wheel scene at the very end, and the oil rig.)

Anyway, does anyone else think there was maybe more than one monster?

Brules Rules

Don Juan
Reaction score
*spoilers*

Perhaps I was a bit hasty in mentioning 9-11. It's just that the beginning seemed like a terrorist attack.... and I've been drinking. Wires crossed and that.

Rather, if you look up the viral marketing done with this movie, and piece it all together, it's all so very convoluted. Something about a softdrink company's sister company mining for a non FDA approved ingredient off the shores of NY to use in the other company's drinks, which makes people stronger and more aggressive. Some activist group is out to stop this company (I forget the name, but the softdrink company is called Slusho), and they destroy the mining rig they're using to mine this ingredient, which wakes the monster, who has either been absorbing this "ingredient", or is actually producing the ingredient, whatever. Yadda yadda yadda. It's fvcking ridiculous, and most of it went over my head.

However, I did find one interesting theory on the whole movie: one that paints the main character, Rob, as a total AFC. It goes something like this:

Rob's new job is in Japan, which is home to movies about monsters coming from the sea to destroy cities.

The girl Rob likes just dissed him, because he's a pvssy, and leaves his party with a sort of alpha male.

Rob's drunk, scared and pissed.

Rob snaps under all the stress, and the rest of the movie is a psychotic stroll down LaLa Land, taking place completely in Rob's head, complete with dark subway tunnels (representing a woman's vagina, which is unfamiliar to Rob), a monster destroying his life (the job in Japan), smaller monsters who spread disease through bites (representing a fear of STD's maybe, or maybe their bite represents intercourse), little flashbacks to happier memories, and poor Captain Save-a-hoe himself, Rob, going above and beyond to rescue his one-itis, and be the hero.

Yeah, I need to lay off the vodka for a minute.

War Against Betaism

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
eh, I thought it was terrible. Me and my friends left 40 minutes into it, worse than Dragon Wars IMO. But like someone else said, it's a hate it or love it thing and I just happen to hate it.

I dunno though, it's not like I don't like these "film everything in one sitting using a homemade camera" documentaries; I really enjoyed The Blair Witch Project, that was a movie that truly put me at the edge of my seat.

Kidfabulous

Don Juan
Reaction score
I went to the Vancouver premier of it... I loved it.

I'm normally quite bad with motion sickness on planes and I didn't find it horrible at all. I actually found it realistic.

I'm really hoping for a sequel/2nd film.

Sure, Rob was an idiot, but the film itself was great.
Hud's comments really made the movie what it was :)

Nip/Tuck

Banned
Reaction score
joekerr31 said:
cloverfield is a true story right?
Yes an alien creature from outer space with an exoskeleton immune to rocket and shells, totally fvcked sh*t up in the city. Those little aliens (bugs) are nasty too, they bite you and you explode. The military had to drop a nuke, the whole city is radioactive waste land.

joekerr31

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nip/Tuck said:
Yes an alien creature from outer space with an exoskeleton immune to rocket and shells, totally fvcked sh*t up in the city. Those little aliens (bugs) are nasty too, they bite you and you explode. The military had to drop a nuke, the whole city is radioactive waste land.

that explains why the DOW is tanking. i was wondering why the stock markets were falling apart, but this explains it.