Changing my style

LeMac

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've gotten a buttload of money for Xmas...a lot of which is going to clothes. I don't have bad style or anything as is, but I do feel I could dress better.

I already have an idea of what I want, but I'm curious what your guys' styles are like. Give me brands, stores, etc.

Anyways, some things about me physically:
I'm black, usually wear my hair short (nearly bald) and then let it grow maybe a cm at most. I'm muscular and look really good in anything that isn't baggy (I hate baggy clothes...), and I'm about 6 feet.

I want to replace my wardrobe with a lot more adult/nicer clothing. Not like...so nice that I'm overdressing to go to school and what not, but...er...casual clothing. I don't want to be metro either.

Specifically, I want more button-up shirts that I could wear to parties and everyday...more 'muscle shirts' (I don't mean the really tight ones, but rather...a thin sweater or something that shows the shape of my body). But, again...key is that I don't want to look metro...I want to look just like an average young adult with a good sense of casual style.

So, in case you forgot...I'm not asking you guys to pick my style, but if you have comments, questions, that'd be appreciated. And a specific question for you guys is: what's ur style, and what type of brands and such do you wear. (I'm not really big on brands...I usually just shop at JC Pennys and buy based on look. But...if you guys know of a good brand I'm curious.)

DonSonnySagliani

Don Juan
Reaction score
I ussualy wear stuff like Armani, Diesel, Burrbery and Boss, but if was black i would wear hip-hop gear. Girls like it. I had racial prejudices before ( and a reason was that internationals that came in my country were really bad people (in all means)) but now I dont, and i regret all the ****s i did and said before.
I use to wear skinhead shoes (Doc Martens) and they were HUGE turn-off to girls.
So hip-hop style suits u and it's really attractive to a lot of girls + if u include that style in the way u talk and, it will get u a lot of chicks.

LeMac

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DonSonnySagliani
I ussualy wear stuff like Armani, Diesel, Burrbery and Boss, but if was black i would wear hip-hop gear. Girls like it. I had racial prejudices before ( and a reason was that internationals that came in my country were really bad people (in all means)) but now I dont, and i regret all the ****s i did and said before.
I use to wear skinhead shoes (Doc Martens) and they were HUGE turn-off to girls.
So hip-hop style suits u and it's really attractive to a lot of girls + if u include that style in the way u talk and, it will get u a lot of chicks.
No.

I mean, it may, but..if I need to act like an idiot/dumbass thug to get girls then that just reflects on my skills.

Now, I don't mind the style of like say...Tyrese, Usher, in fact, I may be modelling my own style after theirs, but if you're calling 'hip-hop' style baggy pants and chains and clunky Air Force ones, stfu.

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
but if was black i would wear hip-hop gear.
No...just..no

I'm black and I don't wear "hip-hop" gear. Wear something because it reflects who you are and how you feel comfortable, not because someone likes it or it's cool.

Egoist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
-nice blazers, in style now, and good ones will always be in style.
-good jeans, not too outrageous
-good shoes, italian pref., not some sneakers unless they are cool eurotrash ones
-good dress/casual button-up shirts
-some cool tees

those are sort of the staples you need now

i don't know if you are in the US or not, but if you are or familiar with american stores, go express, kenneth cole, top designer brands, or even H&M/Zara if you are on a budget.

just stay away from typical dorky american chinos/pleated pants, baggy buttonups, and dorky casual shoes/sneakers.

also, accessories help you create your own unique style in combination with classic/stylish clothes.

Captain Popular

Don Juan
Reaction score
A good way to pick up on some nice adult styles is magazines, try something like G-Q. Pay attention to the colors they use and see what goes with what..i dunno if thats much help but good luck.

Egoist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Captain Popular
A good way to pick up on some nice adult styles is magazines, try something like G-Q. Pay attention to the colors they use and see what goes with what..i dunno if thats much help but good luck.
yeah, GQ, Esquire, Details, Cargo, etc are all best bets. Don't just copy whatever you see though, make it your own.

Captain Popular

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Egoist
yeah, GQ, Esquire, Details, Cargo, etc are all best bets. Don't just copy whatever you see though, make it your own.
lol copy and hey who cares as long as you look good....

House Rent

Reaction score
I dress like Paul Newman in Hud, but as a black dude this look propbably wouldn't work for you. On the other hand, you would probably be the only guy dressed like that where ever you go!

TheInfamousCBear

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If youre black and as long as you dont wear hip hop style of clothes, you'll stand out, cause not that many other black dudes dress that way (Im Black)...

golfguy

Don Juan
Reaction score
It's obvious you know what you want, so I'd say just go to a Mall and look for clothes in your price range that you like. It's really that simple.

But I also assume you're asking for opinions to broaden your range of clothes also (brands and styles). I definately agree with the people who mantioned just get a magazine and look through it. That's a good idea, but look at some random stuff on the net too.

I agree with not dressing hip hop. Dressing well and stylish ANYWHERE, no matter what your ethnicity is, will get you noticed. "Dress for success" has much truth to it.

Also..If you're looking for collared shirts, I personally like American Eagle shirts. A lot of people around here seem to like it.

LeMac

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses...keep em coming. To the guy above me, yeah, you got the idea..I alreayd have a pretty clear idea of what I want, but I'm looking to see what you guys styles are like.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
AE...

In addition, try searching all thread titles for "style", as this has been brought up numerous times before.

DarkLight

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I like to spruce some chic cool sh!t down, and spruce some street art sh!t up.

Know what I mean?!

Mad benefits of this style, Pychologically.

A. Its original.
B. People can't necessarily peg you, as this or that (cause your both)
C. You bring together dif. groups of society, classes, style, etc. So your inviting and unique like that.
D. When in a Rich environment you blend in fine, but stick out. w. intrigue and a lil rebel flare.
E. When your chillin on the street level, your cool like that, but still wearin some nicer clothes.

Get the feel of what I'm sayin!?

Hmm... what else!?
Always keep it original. Good way would be to see whats "hot" now in fashion, then put your own touches on it... mix match it your way. Lead the Fashion world, don't let it lead you.

And get sh!t that fits and flatters your body. If your in shape, let that be known through good fitting clothing. And I'm not saying... wear some guido skin tight black armani wetsuit bullsh!t club shirts. Just saying... whatever you do find that you like, make sure it fits you pimp.

Big thing is layering too. Mix dif. things, street jacket, nice dress shirt.

Or like wear a nice Dress shirt, and a ton of random leather necklaces or something. lol, Just throw sh!t off in a pimp way.

Oh, and besides the solid colors, in your wardrobe. Get some sh!t that has depth. Whether it be in the color's, texture, or designs on em. (whatever you do... don't get that homo ironed on dragon on a blazer sh!t). That look has peaked long ago, with every tool in the shed rockin something like it.

Anyways man... bottom line, be yourself. Just hope some of the sh!t I said here, might have ignited some more of your own creative ideas, approach, etc.

SuaveOn'
-DarkLight-

doctoroxygen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The key part of your wardrobe will be jeans. They should cost around $200 for a good pair. I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for, but most Diesels are cool, as are PDC, Earnest Sewn, Seven (though kinda played out). They should fit rather tightly in a good dark wash.

homi

Don Juan
Reaction score
i rock a street prep look

I usually layer nice sweaters w/ dress shirts / polos
also i wear alot of tees w/ hoodies and stuff, but i pair them with nice jeans

I also rock sneakers, caz i hate dress shoes (unless its a special occasion)

some of the brands i wear alot : Nike, Levi's , Polo, Lacoste, H&M, gap, BR, etc

Martini Joe

Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree with most of the other cats here. But on top of that, get yourself a few lady friends to help you sift things out a little too.