can i grow our my hair?

guayaballer

Don Juan
Reaction score
i want to grow my hair out into a ponytail but im not sure how to grow it out my friends say to get shape up or a tape up but im not sure i also wanna know if a ponytail would suit my face. and my hair is pretty long right now so i was wondering on a hairtsyle to wear while i grow it out.

here is a pic of me a month ago http://img215.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled8ul1.jpg

doctoroxygen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A ponytail would look great on you. It would make you look older.

WesCottII

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You kidding? I think it'd look loads better shorter.

dot

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
you're better off asking a barber but i agree with wescott it looks fine short

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As far as I'm aware, pony tails look absolutely weird on guys. Get a buzz cut and spike your hair. Get rid of that gold chain thing too, please.

doctoroxygen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Skilla_Staz said:
As far as I'm aware, pony tails look absolutely weird on guys. Get a buzz cut and spike your hair.
I hope you're being ironic.

guayaballer

Don Juan
Reaction score
so what hairstyle could i wear until it grows out into a pontytail its to big fer spikes and every one in my skool has eighter a mowhawk or gotti blowout style

grr

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You shouldn't grow out your hair. Also, that pic you showed has your hair too long.

Every barber gives the same advice: Choose a haircut that doesn't make any of your facial features stand out. I usually go 4 on the sides, 5 on top. I have dense, fine hair. Some people have thin, thick hair. Ask an experienced barber what he/she recommends for your hair type.

This is interesting because its much like the bulking vs cutting argument. A cut look can be achieved with very little effort. A bulked look definately takes effort, and is percieved that way. So when people see you bulked they realize you maintain it and so their opinion of you increases. Same with short hair, if you get it cut often you show you maintain your hair. Long hair people show they're too insecure, complacent, or lazy to get a freaking haircut. Maybe that's not their intent, but that's how its perceived by John & Jane Random.

Last edited:

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
doctoroxygen said:
I hope you're being ironic.

How is there irony in that statement?

seanchai

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Skilla_Staz said:
How is there irony in that statement?
I suppose he thinks it's weird that you're recommending he change his hair to look like everyone else's.

Adone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
grr said:
Every barber gives the same advice: Choose a haircut that doesn't make any of your facial features stand out.
Never heard about this theory, but I'm not an expert on this stuff. Anyway, would you consider facial features even stuff like "blue eyes"? I mean people with blue or green eyes are supposed to wear their hair longer, in order to take attention away from them? Same thing with full lips?

grr

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Maybe. Here's something that helps me when I look at something and try to get the "overall picture":

Blur your eyes.

For example If you notice two huge blue blobs (your eyes) in the mirror when you do this, you might want longer hair. Same with lips. It sounds weird, but trust me: Just try it and you'll see how it works.

You won't be distracted by minor details with blurred eyes, so the major details naturally stand out and you can see the ...for lack of a better phrase, "first impression" you give off.

Last edited:

doctoroxygen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
First of all, if you're going to cut your hair, DON'T use clippers. Clippers cut all the hair to the same length, so it sticks up at the corners of your head. Celebrities with short hair still get their hair scissored, so it lays down and has interesting texture. Clippered hair has no texture and looks low class.

That said, I still think you should grow your hair. You look young in that picture, and shorter hair would only make you look younger. You have darker features and darker hair, both characteristics that make me think shiny shoulder length hair would look great on you.

What I did while it was growing out was blow-dry it up in tall, messy, twisted spikes with some matte clay paste. It was actually my most popular hairstyle (the only hairstyle I've had that strangers came up to me on the street and complimented me on), so don't worry about looking weird. The idea is to not look like everybody else.

doctoroxygen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not on a buzz, but nobody who's not a soldier or in prison should have a buzz.

grr

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
First of all, if you're going to cut your hair, DON'T use clippers. Clippers cut all the hair to the same length, so it sticks up at the corners of your head. Celebrities with short hair still get their hair scissored, so it lays down and has interesting texture. Clippered hair has no texture and looks low class.
That's how I can tell if my barber is experienced. If she does a proper job on my crown's corners (basically where your parts are on either side) so they're parallel with the sides of my head, instead of rounded like in a buzzcut then I know she's probably been barbering for 3-5+ years. I always comment about it and try to guess how long they've been barbering. She usually just does it at that point, but if not I can fix it at home. Its really easy.

mixmasterbert

Don Juan
Reaction score
... Guess you don't get out much. Shaved head is cool, girls dig it and its no fuss. Did u watch the world cup? didn't think so

grr

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah but what do you do when it grows out?

Think about women, you always find the ones who change hairstyles more attractive than they would be same day after day after day.

What does the world cup have to do with going out? Tell me before I headbutt you.

mixmasterbert

Don Juan
Reaction score
yeah your right its cool to switch it up. most the guys in the world cup had shaved heads and it looked really good to me at least. I had vary long hair a fews years back then i cut it down to a norm. guy cut now i shaved it to a # 2. Its a summer thing i guess. Not having to think about my hair is priceless.