Calling all fat guys!

Derek Flint

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Marin County, CA - just North of San Francisco
One more:

"I usually go with straight ephedrine/caffeine when I use a fat burner."
--Diesel

Yeah, low-carb is bad, but loading up on caffeine and ephedra is good.

Reaction score
Originally posted by Derek Flint
Derek:

nice little job cutting and pasting. You get the gold star.

Atkins still sucks.

So tell me, how much muscle mass did you lose on Atkins?

Are you even a lifter? If so how long? And what routine did you use while on Atkins?

Do you even know what "skinny fat" means? I mean you didn't provide pre-Atkins and post-Atkins body fat measurements. If anything, that's the real test of a diet - not how much absolute weight you lose.

If you are a lifter, how much muscle mass did you put on while using Atkins?

If you answered any of those questions : the answer would still be "not as much as you could have if you were using carbs"

Carbs (both high glycemic and low glycemic) have their place in a proper athletic diet.

The real key is to try and minimize the fat+carb combination in your meals.

So, how are you going to elevate your depleted muscle glycogen levels after a vicious resistance workout without some high-glycemic carbs to keep your body from going catabolic and cannibalizing it's own muscle mass? or to aid in shuttling the protein and insulin into the muscle cell to stop the production of cortisol and to keep you anabolic?

I don't know why you haven't tried ephedrine/caffeine.. it works.. especially when you crash from the Atkins in mid workout due to the lack of glycogen in the blood. Note, the post doesn't say "ephedra" - it says "ephedrine" it's a whole other animal.

Oh yeah, the reason I rip on Atkins and CKD is because I've tried them both to cut up and they suck. It left me feeling "flat" and "deflated".. I couldn't feel the pump when I lifted and my poundages and anaerobic capacity while on it went way down.

There are a million ways to lose weight. But most of them are rather gimmicky and inefficient. I'm glad Atkins worked for you - but you could have spared yourself a ton of muscle mass by doing it another way.

Atkins is for sedentary turds and obese, lazy housewives, basically people who want to lose a ton of weight pronto and don't give a shyt about athletic performance.. it's not for athletes.

Stop being such a fukkin' Atkins fanatic and open yourself up to other points of view.

P.S. There a ton of diets that are utter garbage, that have been around for much longer than I have. Their longevity still does not mean they aren't crap. Like good ol' Atkins.

California Love

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
victor has a point,

Atkins sucks if you do anything atheletic, including weightlifting. You need glycogen to perform physically.

AFK Protector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
One more thing. I don't know if I posted this somewhere already, but Atkins, with too much protein, makes your breathe smell bad(nitrogen), makes it hard to crap, messes up your liver, and kills your kidneys. Try Atkins with SOME protein and lots of FIBER. I think lots of people do too much protein since they think it's gonna be easy.

bogman2121

Don Juan
Reaction score
Now - 178
Goal - 155

Track starts monday so that will almost definately get all of it. The big problem will be watching what I eat and staying motivated after the season ends because it happens every year... track ends and I put on 10 pounds(in this case 23 although i was lifting a lot so im sure some is muscle). At the end of the season last year I weighed 158 and I'm pissed I haven't been motivated to stay at that weight.

Devestator

Don Juan
Reaction score
My weight is down to 235 and falling! No strength loss evident yet. I will up the carbs if I feel too sluggish in my workouts or become weaker. Thanks for the feedback on Atkins. I hope others are noticing success and sticking with it.

I'm also taking Staker 2 and creatine. These helped my workout and reduced my appetite.

Capi Crimini

Banned
Reaction score
current: 165-170 = 11-13%BF

goal: = 7% BF

I'm at the point where you can sorta see my abbs on a good day but not on a bad day. You can always see them when I flex.

I'm going to exercise more. I can't really change with eating. I've tried every diet and no weight loss. I gained 20 and didn't look any different. I think I may be stuck genetically. THough I don't know if it's possible. I'm going to run for a few hours then lift weights and then run some more. Normally I don't do much so I fugure I'm not going inside between 6a.m.-9.p.m. 10.pm on weekends.

I don't care if I'm hangin wit friends or running I'm gonna keep active. See if that helps. Before I'd only spend an hour or two working out a day sometimes skipping. SO whatever helps.

Devilman

Don Juan
Reaction score
Now = 224.4 ib's
Goal = 198 ib's

I recently started my cutting diet two weeks ago, it's about 2000 calories a day, 250 protein, 176 Carbs, 14.3 Fat, so far i've lost about 2kg's (4.4ibs) on it i think, not sure cause my cheap ass scales are werid as hell lol.

I am also doing more carbio type stuff, i do boxing wednesdays and fridays, and i have started to do DDR (dance dance revoloution) it's that dance mat game, it has a workout mode which tells you how much calories burned, i aim for 400 cals a day on mondays, tuesdays, and thursday on it.

if i get down to my goal weight that should mean i have a BF % of about 5-8% i've already seen some changes like my mid section isnt as huge as it used to be etc, i'll just have to keep it up for about 12 more weeks. Oh btw i work out aswell.

gav

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
it's pretty funny hearing you guys talk about the fight against hunger. don't let hunger take over etc.

i get hungry all the time, like now for instance. (i'm a skinny guy btw - 150lbs with probably about 1%bf :p).

so whenever i get hungry (and here's the insanely crazy bit), i actually ENJOY the feeling. How fvcked up is that??? I have actually conditioned myself so that whenever i feel hungry, i feel pleasure and so i don't each much more.

My problem is the opposite of yours, clearly. I have to force myself to eat (i hate the feeling of being full and enjoy the feeling of being hungry)

I reckon you fat guys will at least like feeling full up and hate being hungry. you tell me

billybob

Don Juan
Reaction score
Atkins works, but it does not work because your body magically burns fat, it works because people eat less calories on it. Think about it, whats easier to eat...1000 calories of cookies or 1000 calories of lean chicken breast? Duh.

.Check out this link as to why it works if you don't believe me.

But there are better ways to do it. Stuffing yourself with saturated fat is not a long term answer.

I lost about 70lbs over the past year and a half and its not fun, but I did it by gradually making small changes. You can't make huge lifestyle changes and expect to stick with them. Atkins may work, but at least for me, it would be impossible to stick to. First I just cut out sugar, drank only water. And started to balance out my carbs and proteins better (whereas before I hate probably 70% carbs). Now I'm strict as hell, I count every calorie I eat using www.fitday.com. But there's no way I could of been as strict then as I am now.

I have some before and after (I'm in the middle) pics of myself that I hope might motivate someone. I still don't look great, I have 10 more lbs to go and my bodyfat is around 17%, but its a helluva lot better than before.

Good luck to everyone.

And muscle loss is inevitable on any cutting diet, whether its Atkins or not. Remember guys, if you're going from fat to thin without much experience working out, there's not a lot of muscle to worry about. So just worry about losing the fat now, and adding muslce later, IMHO

edit: didn't realize how old the original post was...oops.

BrWnSugaMan

Don Juan
Reaction score
Current Weight = 168 lbs.
Target Weight = 165 lbs.

Some of my measurements:

6'2'', 32 inch waist.

-These last three pounds are kicking my a$$.

heteropedro

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Little fat ass in the house!!!!!!!!!!!

ok
5''4
Current: 149lbs

Goal:125-130

Maybe thats a bit to low?

so I have like 20lbs to go

Im on the "pedros diet of not eating that many carbs"
I eat like 3 times a day, ot big meals, and I eat many veggies and meat. O have olive oil for fat, when I cook my food. I run 3-5 times a week.

AFK Protector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Previous weight: 180lbs
Current weight: 145 lbs

What did I do? No soda, no candy, no fatty starches (chips, cheetos, etc.), no coffee (i put a lot of sugar), water and milk only (skim milk), smaller meals, just like 5 a day, running everyday 30 min atl east, tennis 2 hours a day. I did that for almost 6 months and got where I am today.

Atkins...I have a friend who went on that and he was 210 or something, now I think he's 180. Nah, whatever, he was proabbly like 240. anyways, he lost like 40-50 lbs. Worked ofr him.

bogman2121

Don Juan
Reaction score
previously 178
stuck at 165 for awhile
today i was 159.5

i run track and that got me down to 165 then i started taking a supplement and i guess that helped me lose all the rest i still have 4.5 more to go then im gonna try to just stay there while putting on a little muscle and losing the rest of the fat.

donjan

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by gav
it's pretty funny hearing you guys talk about the fight against hunger. don't let hunger take over etc.

i get hungry all the time, like now for instance. (i'm a skinny guy btw - 150lbs with probably about 1%bf :p).

so whenever i get hungry (and here's the insanely crazy bit), i actually ENJOY the feeling. How fvcked up is that??? I have actually conditioned myself so that whenever i feel hungry, i feel pleasure and so i don't each much more.

My problem is the opposite of yours, clearly. I have to force myself to eat (i hate the feeling of being full and enjoy the feeling of being hungry)

I reckon you fat guys will at least like feeling full up and hate being hungry. you tell me
I do this also, on purpose. I have already gone from 260 Lbs. to 175 and looking to lose another 10-12, or until I look as I want to look (I'm 6'1).

Another thing to try, which seems rediculous: I used to eat bags of chips and other fat- or sugar filled crap and enjoy it, and whenever I'd eat vegetables or fruit, or drink 'just' water, I saw this as something obligatory.

Looking at it as something enjoyable, makes it enjoyable. I treat water like it is the sweetest thing there is, and broccoli as a dessert. the same way we were conditioned to enjoy a big mac and a mountain dew, because we see it as a treat (aside from evolutional issues regarding fat and sugar).

Try this, and you'll likely be eating carrots for dessert and not even thinking about ice cream.

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Pre-cutting: 189 lbs
Now (9 weeks later 1 or so weeks to go): 172.5 lbs

One thing I recommend, take pics like the guy at johnstone.com

It really helps you see, and you can put an earlier one and a later one side by side to see a dramatic difference.

Gus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Aha! You caught me...I wasn't thinking clearly. So I removed the post to prevent any bad advice.

Good job semag...

...trying not to let my pride get in the way...

:(

Last edited:

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
All you need to lose weight is determination, not any fancy diets or points program or a notebook with exact calculations of calories. Just eat healthy and exercise your a$s off.
Au contraire, I disagree.

Exercising your a$$ off will create a mild calorie burn, yes, but it's difficult to exercise enough to really make a difference.

Eat Healthy, you say? How does one *learn* to eat healthy. The best way to learn to eat healthy is to regulate what goes in your body. Examine it in detail. Figure out each individual calorie that's going in, and how your body feels afterwards. Do you feel sluggish after the crash of a lot of high sugar foods?

Keep that notebook. Check your calories. Learn how your body reacts, and what foods hold what. ONLY THEN CAN YOU SAY "EAT HEALTHY." Any other time, your definition of "Eating healthy" will not work, because a person has no idea what "healthy" means, what it entails, what foods it allows, foods it disallows, and exceptions it allows once in a while.