Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Real Life Applications?

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok I asked about this during my fighting style thread but it has gone unnoticed.

Any Jiu Jitsu practioncers ever use this in real life? Maybe either in self defense or a street fight?

I want to know if this stuff really works or if its just effective in martial tournaments?

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've never used it in "RL" but I think it could be extremely effective. A lot of cops, federal agents and military personnel train in it and their jobs are as real as it gets.

I wouldn't want to be rolling around on the ground in a true self defense situation, but unfortunately you don't have a choice sometimes. When most people think of BJJ or other grappling styles they only think about the submissions, but you also learn how to sweep someone off of you so you can get back to your feet and you learn how to escape from chokes and etc. You will also learn takedowns and takedown defense which is extremely important, taking someone down on pavement will seriously **** them up, I wouldn't want that to happen to me.

If you want to learn BJJ for self defense and not just tournaments I would suggest finding a place where they don't train in the gi too much and do a lot of takedowns and takedown defense. You should also learn the striking game though, when I move in a week I'm going to find an MMA school so I can learn the whole game instead of just parts at a time.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I do BJJ about once or twice a week. Yeah, I agree with Kerpal. It's not just about doing armbars and chokes, it's also about what do if someone throws you to the ground then mounts on top of your chest sending a rain of punches down on your face. I used to go on youtube(before they turned to pussies and started removing them) and look up street fight videos and almost all of the fights ended up on the ground, often with the more dominant fighter sitting on the guy's chest dropping bombs on his face while the guy on his back is laying there helpless. A good BJJ fighter would have the guy in his guard before it ever got to that point.

I would definitely recommend some BJJ. Any complete fighting system MUST incorporate ground fighting into the curriculum. Doesn't have to be BJJ, but can also be wrestling or sambo(a Russian style of grappling).

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah wrestling is great too. I wish I had wrestled in high school, I'm going to try to practice with the wrestling team at my new school if they'll let me to supplement my BJJ training.

Suicide

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Not BJJ specifically, but I have used some similar stuff in real life with exceptional results. The programs that the military and many police forces use (which I have been trained in as well), however, are usually pretty dismal compared to the abilities of (I dare say) a 'professional' martial artist. The depth of the training is simply not sufficient.

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
see for all the talk that BJJ is so great it doesn't seem like anyone is giving an emphatic answers as to it being effective.

Anyone have an example that happen to them they can share?

blackbelt2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Jayer said:
see for all the talk that BJJ is so great it doesn't seem like anyone is giving an emphatic answers as to it being effective.

Anyone have an example that happen to them they can share?
wrong!!!!! I wore a bjj t-shirt to a bar once, and i got tons of play...........................................................................................................from guys...

moveup

Don Juan
Reaction score
I got in a fight (actually "got jumped") recently, and despite the fact that I was hammered, I attribute the fact that I didn't get seriously injured to my BJJ ground game. I have only a very little bit of BJJ, but I was able to keep myself from getting mounted and was able to keep enough control on the ground to prevent injury.

moveup

Don Juan
Reaction score
Jayer said:
How many people jumped you? what exactly happend? Can you describe?
Just one guy. He was, I assume, as drunk as I was, and just obviously looking for trouble. To be honest I'm really hazy on the details...he was saying some nasty things to my sister, and I intervened, then got sucker punched in the nose for my trouble. I ended up on my back mounted pretty quickly, but escaped into the guard without a problem. I controlled his head to keep him from landing any punches. I think at one point I reversed from the guard into the mount, but only landed a weak punch or two before I got pulled off. He did have some friends around, but they didn't get involved, I assume because another friend of mine stayed out of it to make sure it didn't escalate. Obviously since he had friends there I wouldn't have chosen to go to the ground, but I got taken down and had to work with it. Generally I would not want to get into a bar fight at all, and certainly not as drunk as I was, but I didn't really have a choice in the matter.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think for street fighting, it is very important that your school also teaches judo/wrestling. Some BJJ schools don't do much stand up which I think is a huge mistake.

nb pierre

Reaction score
bjj tournament style and bjj mixed martial arts style is a little different ...ive used it on 2 occasions and it worked well...all i can say is that a good takedown is really suprizing to someone who is used to just latching on and trading punches like two hockey players. just take a course in bjj for a while maybe its for you and maybe it isnt.:up:

Mr. Highroller

Don Juan
Reaction score
my problem with bjj for a street fight is that if you are rolling on the ground his friends could begin to start stomping on you. I can also see a problem if you are significantly smaller then the person you are fighting ie giving up 40 lbs i am 170lbs id hate to have to be rolling on the floor with some 210 lbs guy. Another problem i can see is if you brake someones arms, ankle, wrist out of rage you my get sued rather then if you just throw a few punches that might just bloody up a lip or nose.

I would suggest learning some basics, but muay thai or sanshou might be more effective for what you are looking for. And if you wanted to learn BJJ for a streetfighting scenario i would go to a MMA style class rather then sport style. this way you can learn more brutal transitions and practical stuff.

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
BJJ is effective up to a degree. Reasons:

-takedowns. you'll learn how to take a person down from the standing position to the ground. you'll be able to counter punches and escape the wrath of a potentially stronger, more experienced and violent street fighter by taking away his main power on you...hand speed, punching power, distance, and aggression.
-takedown defense. in addition, you'll learn to properly defend against getting taken down.
-quick submissions from all angles. people who claim you'll be rolling around forever are wrong. first off, many submissions are applied from being ON TOP of your opponent...knee on stomach, side mount, mount, etc. you can disengage even the most tenuous opponent in less than a few seconds with a properly mounted choke, key lock, or arm bar, all of which can be applied from ALL angles.
-escapes. one user mentioned he didn't want to roll around with a bigger guy. okay fine. all the better to know how to escape from the ground when he's on you! not only will you become a strong ground fighter, you'll also be able to direct te fight...meaning you won't have to be STUCK on the ground if you don't want to be.

All in all bjj is invaluable to a fighter's repertoire. Combine the basic bjj submissions with practiced takedowns of judo and wrestling and you have a strong fighter.

armadon

Don Juan
Reaction score
We practice at our gym how to submit and get back to your feet in as very little time as possible. Yes I have pulled guard in a street fight and was back up in less then 5 seconds. I pulled guard then went straight to an oma platta back to my feet and he had a broken shoulder. BJJ is great against people that don't know how to defend it.

You just can not stay on the ground like you see in the UFC. get on the ground, finish, get up. practice doing it at the gym. If you fail your submission get back up to a standing position.

Mr. Highroller

Don Juan
Reaction score
armadon said:
We practice at our gym how to submit and get back to your feet in as very little time as possible. Yes I have pulled guard in a street fight and was back up in less then 5 seconds. I pulled guard then went straight to an oma platta back to my feet and he had a broken shoulder. BJJ is great against people that don't know how to defend it.

You just can not stay on the ground like you see in the UFC. get on the ground, finish, get up. practice doing it at the gym. If you fail your submission get back up to a standing position.
:up: damm thas pretty bad ass. Out of curiosity was the person you were fighting a stranger or was it a life death situation? I would be scared to brake an arm out of fear for lawsuit or arrested.

armadon

Don Juan
Reaction score
no it's not badass it's scary as ****. I've been doing BJJ for almost 7 years now so it's second nature. Yeah I was scared for my life. not so much dying but just getting the **** beat out of me cause who knows what someone will do to you when you can't do anything back.

that's only 1 fight in the 7 years ive been doing it. the other times I talked my way out. I tried backing out and walking away but he followed. I didn't want to do it but i'm not going to let me get harmed in any way and if that means i have to break him then so be it.

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
moveup said:
Just one guy. He was, I assume, as drunk as I was, and just obviously looking for trouble. To be honest I'm really hazy on the details...he was saying some nasty things to my sister, and I intervened, then got sucker punched in the nose for my trouble. I ended up on my back mounted pretty quickly, but escaped into the guard without a problem. I controlled his head to keep him from landing any punches. I think at one point I reversed from the guard into the mount, but only landed a weak punch or two before I got pulled off. He did have some friends around, but they didn't get involved, I assume because another friend of mine stayed out of it to make sure it didn't escalate. Obviously since he had friends there I wouldn't have chosen to go to the ground, but I got taken down and had to work with it. Generally I would not want to get into a bar fight at all, and certainly not as drunk as I was, but I didn't really have a choice in the matter.
Interesting story. Did this guy outmatch you physically? What is your size compared to his? Did you fall on your back naturally? I hear there's a proper way to fall in jiu jitsu...

One of the things that concerns me about with jiu jitsu is that when I watch ufc and see some of them on the ground it seems like they are getting their ass kicked while staying in that same guard position. Now that you have some real experience, is being in that guard position with your legs up really safer than covering up your face or curling up on the ground?

spesmilitis said:
I think for street fighting, it is very important that your school also teaches judo/wrestling. Some BJJ schools don't do much stand up which I think is a huge mistake.
I agree with this. It seems like BJJ is so ground focused it doesn't help your stand up or take down? Am I wrong and are there techniques for this?

nb pierre said:
bjj tournament style and bjj mixed martial arts style is a little different ...ive used it on 2 occasions and it worked well...all i can say is that a good takedown is really suprizing to someone who is used to just latching on and trading punches like two hockey players. just take a course in bjj for a while maybe its for you and maybe it isnt.
You used it in a real fight? Please explain. I know it works in tournaments but want to hear your real world experience.

Mr. Highroller said:
my problem with bjj for a street fight is that if you are rolling on the ground his friends could begin to start stomping on you. I can also see a problem if you are significantly smaller then the person you are fighting ie giving up 40 lbs i am 170lbs id hate to have to be rolling on the floor with some 210 lbs guy. Another problem i can see is if you brake someones arms, ankle, wrist out of rage you my get sued rather then if you just throw a few punches that might just bloody up a lip or nose.

I would suggest learning some basics, but muay thai or sanshou might be more effective for what you are looking for. And if you wanted to learn BJJ for a streetfighting scenario i would go to a MMA style class rather then sport style. this way you can learn more brutal transitions and practical stuff.
I think BJJ is meant for a smaller person to beat a bigger person though. I know if there's a lot of people you are screwed, but for a 1 on 1 fight it might be the best art out there according to MMA stats...?

WORKEROUTER said:
BJJ is effective up to a degree. Reasons:

-takedowns. you'll learn how to take a person down from the standing position to the ground. you'll be able to counter punches and escape the wrath of a potentially stronger, more experienced and violent street fighter by taking away his main power on you...hand speed, punching power, distance, and aggression.
-takedown defense. in addition, you'll learn to properly defend against getting taken down.
-quick submissions from all angles. people who claim you'll be rolling around forever are wrong. first off, many submissions are applied from being ON TOP of your opponent...knee on stomach, side mount, mount, etc. you can disengage even the most tenuous opponent in less than a few seconds with a properly mounted choke, key lock, or arm bar, all of which can be applied from ALL angles.
-escapes. one user mentioned he didn't want to roll around with a bigger guy. okay fine. all the better to know how to escape from the ground when he's on you! not only will you become a strong ground fighter, you'll also be able to direct te fight...meaning you won't have to be STUCK on the ground if you don't want to be.

All in all bjj is invaluable to a fighter's repertoire. Combine the basic bjj submissions with practiced takedowns of judo and wrestling and you have a strong fighter.
These sound like great reasons dude. Why do you say up to a degree though lol?

armadon said:

Arma sounds like you may be the most knowledgable at all since you practice this art the most. Can you explain a little of the specifics on your street encounter. When you say you "pulled guard" does that mean you fell down on your back with your feet up? What did you then do? You got up to your feet but I'm not picturing the whole shoulder submission. I appreciate your feedback because you have real experience proving that this work

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Unless your goal is to become an expert BJJ guy, the most street effective tools are the basic submissions, escapes, and positions, not the intricate, more advanced techniques specifically designed to contend with other sophisticated BJJ guys.