Bookstore Approach

BobbyJ

Don Juan
Reaction score
I just stopped by the bookstore after work today to peruse through the Neil Strauss book. I'll buy it eventually when I get paid. Anyways, as I was heading out, I passed a cute girl looking at some audio books.

As I passed her by, I said, "Oh, you're one of those lazy readers?"

Her: Haha, no, the book I need is only available in audiobook here.

Me: What book is it?

Her: I can't remember the name of it, but it's a self-help book.

Me: Is it one on improving your memory?

Her: Haha, no. It's a self-help book that my boss wanted me to read.

Me: If I were you, I'd be worried about my job security if my boss told me to read a self-help book.

Her: I'm not worried, I got plenty of job security.

Me: Yeah, janitorial jobs tend to have lots of job security.

Her: Haha.

Unfortunately, she was married and I'm not into dating married chicks. But it was fun.

BobbyJ

DinoCassanova

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, good practice at cold-approaching if nothing else, right? Incidentally, how could you tell she was married? I assume you noticed a ring, and during that quick exchange you were clearly able to tell it was a wedding ring?

Mild constructive criticism: Where were you going w/that "janitorial" job thing? Seems like kind of , I don't know, rather a bit of a harsh neg, or it seems like it just came out of left field in the conversation you were relating. If anything, this is just my view, what I would have done to keep the conversation rolling would have been asked what she does for a living when it got to that point. Even if she was / is married, she was still talking to you rather openly it sounds like, so she seemed receptive. You might have been able to take that one a bit further.

~Dino

SELF-MASTERY

Banned
Reaction score
If she weren't married, I would follow the janitorial joke with this:

you: (your janitorial joke thing)

HER: laughs

you: no serious where do you work?

or

you: (your janitorial joke thing)

her: laughs

you: (take and feel her hands) you don't have janitors hands, what do you really do for a living???

That's just my personality--- Might not work for you.

I think you made a good approach.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by BobbyJ
Unfortunately, she was married and I'm not into dating married chicks. But it was fun.

BobbyJ
And this is why I still consider this a successful approach; you had a good time regardless the outcome. :up:

Inc. ©

Don Juan
Reaction score
I was laughing reading that stuff you said....you'll be successful, keep at it!

dirtysouth

Don Juan
Reaction score
You're self-help book crack about her job security was good. The janitor comment, well, I didn't understand.

But who cares, you still talked up a hottie in a bookstore. Points for that!

BobbyJ

Don Juan
Reaction score
The Janitor response.

When she started mentioning her job and her job security, she was making it seem like she had a very good job. There was this real confident and happy tone to her voice as she mentioned her job.

So I was under the impression that she had a great job with great job security. And janitor was the first job that I thought of that a lot of people really don't want to do, and so there's a lot of job security. I know that janitorial jobs aren't considered the greatest jobs, and I was pretty sure that she wasn't a janitor.

Also, I was just talking to an old buddy from school and he was telling me that he was getting a new, better job. I didn't ask what it was, I just jokingly said that he was going to be a janitor and he started laughing. The janitor comment is kind of random, but it's all in the delivery.

I live in a college town and some girls (& guys) don't know what they want to do for a living. And in the event that the girls are older than me or the girls I normally date, I'll joke that they should become one of those Walmart Greeters.

Another fun line to use when I meet girls around where I live is to guess their major in school. If they seem to have a ditzy/fun personality I'll usually name off one of the more intellectual/nerdy majors like Math or Molecular Biology and if they seem like a hardworking brainiac, I'll just ask them which beauty school they go to. And we usually have a laugh at that.

I like doing this because in most college towns, the first questions people ask are "What are you studying" or "What's your major?" So it adds some pizzaz.

BobbyJ

crossboss

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bobbyj

Hey, you seem to be pretty funny. Do you think you could put a post on how to be funny? Just do a search, "Building Blocks of Being Funny" Post there. Hope to hear some your input.