BEST Martial Arts

Pulsar

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nightwing
Actually I said that not to diss Karate, but to illustrate an observation that I've made of many karate schools (or martial art schools period) that I've been to over the years (19 year time span)-- many of them try to get theory and plug it into reality and that just doesnt work, or a lot of schools focus too much on point fighting and not how to prepare for a real situation--a self defense session is good BUT any technique will work on someone if theyre just standing there letting you do it to them. Karate as a martial art is good as any other martial art and out of all the years that I've been in martial arts, I've seen only 2 schools that deal with reality combat.
The best form of karate that I've heard of is Kyokushinkai...it's just as hard as muay thai...in fact many kyokushin guys enter the K1 and do very well...

Walden

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have been to 2 "underground" clubs and they've both been roups of roleplayers in hockey pads , what a waste of time.

Ian1983

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pulsar
The best form of karate that I've heard of is Kyokushinkai...it's just as hard as muay thai...in fact many kyokushin guys enter the K1 and do very well...
Usually that cause that take up boxing to get them used to actually punching the head, but yep, thats true, Kyokushin fighters are universally known as tough fighters.

I'd have to go with MT and BJJ like someone else said before.
Or failling that, find a MMA SCHOOL!

Only read the first page, but the originator said he wanted to do martial arts everyday? Unless I read it wrong, its gonna take you a long time to build up to that level, and after the number of hours you'll clock up, you'll realise you don't need to go everyday

(unless you have to make do like some and bloody go to ground fighting one day, stand up the next).

Savant

Reaction score
I just checked out a local Wing Chun class and am going to join it asap. The place I went to had a bunch of different MA classes going on and most of them just had people standing in lines throwing punches/kick. As I watched the wing chun class tho they split into pairs through most of the class and worked on actual applications.

From what I saw Wing Chun looks like one of the fastest arts to learn how to use what you learn. I would assume that muai tai and boxing would be just as fast but haven't had the chance to observe one of those classes yet.

Savant -- Don Juannabe

Kuen1

Don Juan
Reaction score
Wing Chun as a whole was designed to be learned quickly, but the basics can be learned extremely fast with a good amount of work on your part. It's also a very partner based system so you should spend the majority of class time working with other students on applications. If not...then you're in the wrong Wing Chun school. :p Anyways...train hard, and good luck.

felony

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Paid the boxing fighters a visit.

Fellas,

After being busy with the usual **** during the start of the year, tonight i went to a boxing school. I'd done my research, felt this was a decent place, so i went in to meet the guys and find out what's goin on.

Well the place wasn't anything special, bit like a big old warehouse, kinda simple, to the point, you were there to box. The guys i meet were all really friendly, and let me come in and watch them train.

Basically they run a circuit routine. It involves:
bag punching
skipping
speedball
floor to ceiling work
stomach exercises.

The circuit takes roughly 1 hr and is a full body work out.
While you are doing it the trainers walk around, give you tips/advice and help you out in general.

They stressed that they were really strict tho. If they think you are slacking they kick you out! haha.

They also have 'fight nights' every saturday which most of their members take part in.

If you wish you can buy individual / 1 on 1 / personal boxing training with a coach in the ring and around the circuit.

If you want to take it further and practice sparing you are welcome to do that as well.

Best of all they run circuits 4 times a day 6 days a week!

What do you fellas reckon? Anymore questions i should ask?

I'm thinking of buying a 10 session pass and trying it out.. just to see what its like. I've really got no other contacts than the guys on this forum who know anything at all about boxing.

Cheers,
felony.

felony

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Also,
They reccomend that i buy my own boxing gloves and straps.
Any advice on this issue?
They seem to be relatively light, small gloves tho... not the massive red ones you see in actual boxing matches.

Cheers,
felony.

Nightwing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by felony
Also,
They reccomend that i buy my own boxing gloves and straps.
Any advice on this issue?
They seem to be relatively light, small gloves tho... not the massive red ones you see in actual boxing matches.

Cheers,
felony.
That would be a good idea to have your own hand wraps as they can get sweatty and smell really bad, not to mention it makes it that much worse when theyre coming off someone else's hand-so buy your own. Also, I dont know if you asked your coach about the size of gloves that you should buy, make sure that there's a certain size that you should buy.