Backpack Across Europe

theapprentice

Don Juan
Reaction score
I know as a college student that alot of kids try to go and see Europe and buy a train pass, and visit and stay in europe for a month or two and live in youth hostels.

Its not a bad idea, since the flight is about $400 and the pass is like $400 along with $2000 spending money = $2800 for a two month trip to Europe and 17 diffrent countries. The youth hostel are about 10 euro's a night.

T Money

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I did that with my buddy right after high school, 6 weeks. Damn fun. We didn't have the train passes though because you still have to pay, the tickets are just cheaper. At least that's what I got from it.

Get a Hostel Card though because some hostels ONLY accept hostel cards.

Defenitely if you get a chance to go, go.

SELF-MASTERY

Banned
Reaction score
I want to do something like that, but an entire year.

Big Eee Zee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i dont get the whole appeal of going to europe as a kid, its so trite and played out.

I figure, if I feel the need to travel I'll transfer to a job that requires me to travel all over the world. Of course, I'm going to have a kickass resume, so that i can get hired at a place of my choice.

I mean, 2800 for a few weeks is sweet, but 2800 is a motorcycle, two years of insurance and a trip on it cross country (which i wanna do.)

two weeks vs. two years....hmm.

gotta go with the bike. mmm....

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Get InterRail.

You have unlimited free travel within Europe by train.

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Serious??? How much is it for a month? I figure I could buy a monthly pass and sleep on the train at night (assuming the train has freight compartments?)

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do it. It is something you will never forget, it may literally change your life for good, for the better. The experience will help you grow, and become more social, you will meet some great great people, and have the time of your life! Only time you can do it is when your young, so dont let the opportunity pass bye! I think you will also need FAR MORE than 2000 spending money, alcohol in Europe is DAMN expensive, and consumption of alcohol is a LARGE part of the backpacking experience!

Not to mention, travelling is a MUST on the resume! All my travels were probably the most impressive and most talked about part of my resume with potential employers. Now I am an economist with one of the most reputable firms in my country.

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
diplomatic_lies said:
Serious??? How much is it for a month? I figure I could buy a monthly pass and sleep on the train at night (assuming the train has freight compartments?)
You heard of google?

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No, is that some kind of European drug?

Phrost

Don Juan
Reaction score
Resume? I've worked in HR for some time and I rarely see people put their traveling experience on one. Only rarely do I see it and it's usually newly grads who have empty cvs.

theapprentice

Don Juan
Reaction score
mmm..

Sounds like Ill do it. But what are some other things that college students can do that as adults that they just dont find the time. I dont want to waste my youth not knowing about other things kids do, and realize to late that i wasted my childhood. I am only 20.

I want to get drunk and have tons of nasty, protected of course, sex.

SamePendo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Did any of you guys even see "The Hostal"?? No Europe backpacking for me! :nono:

Just thought about it, maybe you guys promoting the trip, are in the human butchery buissiness over there . . . spooky!

theapprentice

Don Juan
Reaction score
mmm

The interail pass is just for european citizens. I dont think they sell passes to people in the USA.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Phrost said:
Resume? I've worked in HR for some time and I rarely see people put their traveling experience on one. Only rarely do I see it and it's usually newly grads who have empty cvs.
Maybe its different in the States. But I know some managers of large banks and the CEO of Computer Associates in New York, and from every senior corporate mouth I have ever heard, travel is a vital point on your resume. Along with double degrees (far more valuable than 1), what else you have been doing whilst studying (work, sports, community work etc), grades and place of study. Straight from the horses mouth, these are the things I have always been told are the most valuable to graduates. Of course once you are older and have your career underway, then it comes down mostly to work experience and specific skills and expertise. But these things are still deemed to be important. Along with further studies, honours, masters etc.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
theapprentice said:
The interail pass is just for european citizens. I dont think they sell passes to people in the USA.
Eurorail is what most travelers use.

DrMetallica

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
theapprentice said:
I know as a college student that alot of kids try to go and see Europe and buy a train pass, and visit and stay in europe for a month or two and live in youth hostels.

Its not a bad idea, since the flight is about $400 and the pass is like $400 along with $2000 spending money = $2800 for a two month trip to Europe and 17 diffrent countries. The youth hostel are about 10 euro's a night.
$400 for airfare? please. $2800 for two months is way underestimating the cost, you cannot travel with that little money. You will go through that in two weeks.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
theapprentice said:
After having made almost a dozen trips to Europe and the Middle East in the past 5 years, I feel a little qualified to answer this question.

Firstly, finding a $400 ticket is going to be very chancey. The only way I could forsee this happening is if you flew out of New York on a highly discounted flight to a relatively close city. My average ticket cost to Europe is anywhere from $650-900. $650 is the lowest I've gotten from New Orleans to Amsterdam, and $900 was from Baton Rouge to Paris (then again, I paid an extra $100 to ensure my frequent flier miles would count, but that's a different story)...

As for a 2-month eurail youth pass, the best website to use is:

http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/passes/eurail_youth_flexipass.htm

The flexipass is exactly what you need. It ranges from 465 to 612, and will give you 10 days or 15 days in 2 months, respectively. However, your ambitious goal of 17 countries in 2 months isn't really feasible. In order to do that, you'd have to be in each country for a little under 4 days. That's fine, but also remember you're travelling by train, which means you'll have to factor in travel times - even if you leave at 10pm every night, there will be many times where the total travel time will exceed 12 hours. At 17 countries, that eats your time right up.

Hostels, unfortunately, aren't 10 euros - unless you're going to stay in the worst dive you can find, in the worst possible neighborhood. If you want a hostel that has relatively clean floors and/or sheets, and is within a reasonable distance from major attractions, be prepared to spend 20-30 euros a night. Bear in mind the current exchange rate. One benefit to rail travel is that you can bring an eyemask and earplugs and sleep on the train on your travel nights (if you don't want to pay extra for a sleeper compartment).

$2000 USD is far too low to bring as spending money. That translates out to roughly 1500 euros (courtesy of http://www.xe.com/ucc ... which you should bookmark). For a 2 month trip, I'd bring at least 50 euros a day. This is conservative, as there will be many things you need that money for - your train ticket only gets you from country to country, but once you're in the country you'll need things such as inter-city bus/metro passes, taxi fares, admission fees, "emergency fees", food, etc etc etc. The costs add up.

Anyway, browse through some of my old posts regarding travel within Europe for additional information. Hope this helps.

theapprentice

Don Juan
Reaction score
alos

when they say "This Pass is valid for 4 up to and including 10 days within a 2-month period" what does that mean?