Article: Milk: is it good or bad for us?

SinJester

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You're 16 so we'll let you off
But I'm mature enough to know that at this age no one is going to take me seriously on these forums.

LOL @ Alex

noodle

Don Juan
Reaction score
what about Soy Milk? I love that stuff, ecspecailly the brand "So Good" its always nice and creamy and lol..so good!

BluEyes

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
phytoestrogens.

It's not a huge deal, but there are better things to drink.

I try to stay away from it most of the time, but sometimes its nice to watch a movie with a big bowl of cereal and chocolate soy milk.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I haven't fully researched this matter. Their might not even be enough research for me to fully develop this conclusion:

My inclination is that all kids' diets should be rich in red meat, eggs, and milk: the three most anabolic foods for humans. Eggs contain everything an unborn chicken needs to grow. Milk contains everything a baby cow needs to grow. Those two foods were developed for anabolic processes. As for red meat, its been in our diets for ages.

There are many vegetarian and even vegan athletes who perform at the highest level of competition. But those guys consumed red meat, eggs, and milk in their youth. Most of the people I know who were raised as kids on the vegetarian/vegan diet are either really small or have bad physiques.

I understand that lactose may be a problem for many people, and their might be other problems with milk for adults as well, but those problems usually don't apply for kids.

Milk tolerance will also vary from one culture to another. For example, Indians tend to have a very high tolerance for milk, its been a staple for ages. Many scholars believe that the reason why cows are considered sacred in India stems back to an age when it was much more economical for Indians to get their protein and saturated fats from milk rather than red meat.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Everyone has to do their own research and make their own decisions. For every person I find who says milk is terrible I find another who says it's great.

My personal decision is that raw milk is fine, but unfortunately it's almost impossible to find around here and very expensive. So I stick with pasteurized organic, which isn't as good as raw but a hell of a lot better than "regular", non-organic milk. I would not drink milk that is not organic because of the antibiotics, hormones, etc. And I wouldn't drink the 1 gal/day + that some people like Rippetoe recommend, that's just disgusting.

However, I find it strange that some on this board recommend that people eat fast food (which is total ****, definitely way worse for you than milk) a few times a week then freak out when someone mentions drinking milk.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Maybe there wouldn't be as many issues with milk if everyone drank milk from free-range, grass fed, hormone free cows.

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
spesmilitis said:
Maybe there wouldn't be as many issues with milk if everyone drank milk from free-range, grass fed, hormone free cows.
that would help those who are lactose tolerant, but not those who aren't. the latter simply lack the enzyme necessary to process milk sugar as adults.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
However, I find it strange that some on this board recommend that people eat fast food (which is total ****, definitely way worse for you than milk) a few times a week then freak out when someone mentions drinking milk.
fast food to get your calories in a couple of times a week is different to chronic milk consumption. if you said you had a bowl of cereal with milk a couple of times a week it'd be okay, but if you used milk as a protein source daily then I'd have a problem with it.

for the record, organic raw milk is semi-okay in moderation.. but as you say, it's hell to find.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, here it is actually ILLEGAL for human consumption! If you tell the farmer you're buying it for yourself, they won't sell it to you. In fact, the cops here have actually raided farms before :rolleyes:

I agree that it's not a good idea to drink lots of milk as a protein source, it's more carbs in it than protein, in face I think you're the person who actually told me that. But I don't think a couple of glasses a day is gonna hurt anyone as long as it's organic and they aren't lactose intolerant.

Zerix

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
Yeah, here it is actually ILLEGAL for human consumption! If you tell the farmer you're buying it for yourself, they won't sell it to you. In fact, the cops here have actually raided farms before :rolleyes:

I agree that it's not a good idea to drink lots of milk as a protein source, it's more carbs in it than protein, in face I think you're the person who actually told me that. But I don't think a couple of glasses a day is gonna hurt anyone as long as it's organic and they aren't lactose intolerant.
Jeez! Where do you live?

I'm fortunate to have Whole Foods minutes away from home :)

Raw milk is very expensive, especially for the half gallons I buy, but to me it's worth it.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Zerix said:
Jeez! Where do you live?

I'm fortunate to have Whole Foods minutes away from home :)

Raw milk is very expensive, especially for the half gallons I buy, but to me it's worth it.
I think its illegal in America. . . are you sure its raw?

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
there are ways to get raw milk in the US, but it depends a lot on where you live & who you know

(hmmm... sounds like lots of other 'dangerous' and 'illicit' substances banned by the US federal authorities)

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Warboss Alex said:
mother's milk is AWESOME.. but once breastfeeding stops, putting cow's milk into your children's bodies is close enough to poisoning them. (even if they have no discernable reactions e.g. stomach issues)
Whoa, I thought kids are still good at digesting milk. I was under the impression that most of the issues with milk occur at teenage/adulthood. Why would milk be bad for kids?

MrMike

Don Juan
Reaction score
The scientific community is clearly divided on the subject. There's just as much evidence for milk as there is against milk.

Personally, I have drank milk just about every day of my life for the past almost 22 years. I still feel perfectly healthy.

If 40 rolls around and I'm sick from drinking milk, I'll let all of you say "I told you so"

Zerix

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
spesmilitis said:
I think its illegal in America. . . are you sure its raw?
It's not illegal in all of America. It's allowed in 28 states, California being one of them. Damn right mine is raw, or I wouldn't be drinking it :)

By they way, anyone have a say on Goat milk?

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I like goat milk. It has a different taste from cow milk, kind of "chalky", but I think it's pretty good. It is expensive though so I stick with cow milk.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Heres a guy whose been lifting for years with more experience than any of you.

who says MILK is bad ?

What One Tip Would You Give Other Bodybuilders?

Drink milk and lots of it! I have been drinking milk my whole career and owe everything I did to it.
He's been in the game for 20 years.