Advice needed for a transitional AFC > DJ

TheBends86

Don Juan
Reaction score
Advice Please!

LONG POST - Skip to bottom section in bold if not interested in background story (in a nutshell: recovering AFC needs to consoldiate female contacts).

Hello,

Here's my brief background before we get into things. I am 19 in a few weeks time; during my short life, my relations with girls have generally been very miserable, and very AFC. Trying, but (thankfully) failing to hook up with a girl with rotten teeth while drunk; dumping my first girlfriend out of fear of 'not knowing what to do'; my first relationship was with an Italian exchange student with an enormous nose; I've shot myself in the foot when it comes to girls so many times.

However, 2 years ago, I met a girl, bla bla bla, we fell in 'love' (biggest mistake of my life so far) etc etc. For 18 mths we went out, it was great. Then she cheated on me with my "best friend" (I have not spoken to him since and will never speak again), dumped me and started going out with him instantly. I was crushed. This was 2 months ago.

I decided I'm come back to a site I haven't read for years -- this one. Because I realised, I had become what I always feared I was: an AFC. I am an AFC.

Although I've had several encounters with girls, it's only ever been through my bizarre sense of humour, or alcohol. Basically, I could never attact a girl on pure merit. Since the end of my LTR in such bad circumstances, I've decided that the AFC-TheBends86 is going to become a thing of the past.

I looked around and though "OK, no, let me think how many girls I know ... oh hang on, NONE. I have zero female contacts". Tough road ahead folks ... but I've been trying to get some contacts (I realise one can't go from total-AFC to being a chick-puller overnight; for now it's important to be around girls and tune my terrible skills). So far, I have actually done reasonably well considering I started as a massive-AFC with no female contacts at all. I have been having lunch with a girl at uni the last few weeks (we share some classes), and I've started to get to know a female work colleague enough to sms her, go to a party with her, etc.

Now ... why am I telling you this? Because now, I have passed step 1 -- that is talking to some girls. Now, what I need to do, is lock these contacts in, and make them more than "someone I see once a week". Basically, what I want from these 2 girls is at least one I can call a "good aquaintance". At this point in time, I am honestly not trying to ask either of them out: I realise in my weak position as a recovering AFC, I can't push my luck (however, they are both nice girls, I certainly wouldn't decline them). With these girls, I need to accept the inevitable friendship ladder, but at least be positive: girls have friends ... and those friends are chances.

Basically, I want to consolidate my "friendship" with them and get to know them enough that I may be able to "network" a little, and maybe meet some of their friends, and find new oppurtunities.

The Uni girl is the reason of this post. Now, I have lunch with her every Thursday for the last few weeks. We have a nice time, but I guess I'm a "friend". So be it. A recovering AFC will get caught in the friends ladder easily. However, what I DO want to do, is make this girl someone I can go out with ... as opposed to "someone I see once a week". There is a big football game coming up in a few weeks time, that I'd like to go to with her, to lock her in as a "good acquantaince" (however as I said before, I'm certainly not against more; just realistic).

I mentioned it to her in passing "hey we oughta go to a game sometime" (AFC curse strikes again...), and she was "oh yeah for sure"... so I said I'd email her the details if a game comes up. That was a few weeks ago. What I want to know is, how should I word an email that does this purpose: asks a girl out on a 1-on-1 basis (ie. just her and me) , but without any pre-conceived desires (as a friend, or as a date, either is fine). The last thing I can afford to do is scare her off, atm I need to get a foothold into the female world (she recently got 'freaked out' by a guy who asked her to a movie; I don't want to be reject #2, especially when I am not pursuing romance). Secondly, with my self-esteem already dented badly due to my broken-LTR, I can't afford a harsh smash-down. I want a low-risk, low-return message, that will best ensure that she'll be there with me at that game.

How should I go about this seemingly simple problem. To many of you, this will seem like such a petty question. However you must realise, I am still very much gripped by the curse of AFC-ness.

Over to you folks.

Last edited:

nonstop

Don Juan
Reaction score
I think you want to go out with this girl but are using the excuse of being her friend and networking as an excuse so you don't get rejected.

if that isn't the case and she is just a friend then why is it so hard to ask her if she wants to goto a game with you? do you have this problem with your other friends, I doubt it.

stop calling yourself an AFC and that you are struck with an AFC curse, if you do that you will always be an AFC, you make it sound like its out of your control.

if you say to everyone "oh I'm shyt at maths, I'm soo dumb" and you believe what you are saying then you will struggle to solve maths problems. Get what I'm saying?

If you're at a party and you see some bored people there and all you do is look at these bored people all night then you will go away thinking "that party was boring!" but if you focus on the other people at that same party, laughing, drinking, dancing you would have come away thinking something different. Get what I'm saying?

Stop thinking you're an AFC and stop focusing on all your AFC moments. Start thinking of the DJ ones.

TheBends86

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by nonstop
I think you want to go out with this girl but are using the excuse of being her friend and networking as an excuse so you don't get rejected.

if that isn't the case and she is just a friend then why is it so hard to ask her if she wants to goto a game with you? do you have this problem with your other friends, I doubt it.

stop calling yourself an AFC and that you are struck with an AFC curse, if you do that you will always be an AFC, you make it sound like its out of your control.

if you say to everyone "oh I'm shyt at maths, I'm soo dumb" and you believe what you are saying then you will struggle to solve maths problems. Get what I'm saying?

If you're at a party and you see some bored people there and all you do is look at these bored people all night then you will go away thinking "that party was boring!" but if you focus on the other people at that same party, laughing, drinking, dancing you would have come away thinking something different. Get what I'm saying?

Stop thinking you're an AFC and stop focusing on all your AFC moments. Start thinking of the DJ ones.
Thanks for what is perhaps a harsh, but ultimatly true reality check.

In all honesty, I am not purusing this girl because as I said, I just came out of a LTR that was handled in a very afc manner, and I have virtually no female contacts ... I'm keen to build some up, but as I said, if there's oppurtunity for more I won't say no.

As for calling myself an AFC, well, I'm not trying to label myself as one, just trying to be realistic: atm I am in recovery, I have realisd what needs to be changed and am trying to implement it. I am starting from a fairly weak position, but I'm keen to break out from it.

Maybe you are right -- maybe subconciously i'm just scared of rejection and that's why I say "oh, only a friend". But tbh, I really do think that I just need a foothold into the female world and I'm happy with whatever eventuates out of this.

Thanks for a good post.

Reaction score
Oh no, you are approaching women all wrong!!! You are trying to be their friends first then be their 1 week acquaintance buddy????

This is a very AFC approach!!

You are put in the automatic friend zone by your own doing! Only approach a woman romantically and let them know it right away!!

Say, Hey HB uni girl, lets go have some pizza before we go the football game and then you spill your game on her and feel her vibe for romantic interest in you.

If she says "I like this guy" then you know she is not interested in you - if she talks to you as a friend you are her friend - if she talks to you like a girl responding to a dude whoo is interesed in her then you may have a shot - either way gauge her interest level immediately!

You know if you get turned down for a date that you should move on --- why dillltdallly around for months to get your answer that you can get in minutes/hours??:rolleyes:

Be confident!!

TheBends86

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for another reality check. It's crazy of me to label these girls, what does it matter. Any outcome is positive really. A total rejection is a lesson; an aquaintance friends ladder is a window to new chances; and a date is a good success.

I think I need to bite the bullet and just ask her to something. Sadly the big game I had in mind is sold out. I'll think of something else.

Reaction score
Set a date for friday or saturday night instead of doing something for lunch this shows her that you are pursuing her romantically - if she sees you on these days then this may be an affirmation of her interest!

Or see if she makes an counter offer for a different date/time.

TheBends86

Don Juan
Reaction score
Well the thing is we have lunch together every week due to uni schedules, we both have a gap on Thursday afternoons. Certainly she always seems fairly keen for lunch, s at the very least she has some interest, in whatever form that maybe.

nonstop

Don Juan
Reaction score
do you always have lunch at the same place? try suggesting somewhere else next time and take your 'friendship' into a different environment.

meet up with her after a lecture and go somewhere to eat/drink.

and tell her to bring her friends so you can hit on them, make sure you don't end up in the friendzone with them too! I know a guy who has loads of female friends but no girlfriend because he always starts with the friends zone. The worst thing is he should have the girls all over him, he drives a Ferrari but even that can't get him out the all powerful friends zone.

belividere

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Have you done your reading yet? If not click the link in the upper right hand corner for the DJ Bible. At least read the intro and the section that says read this first. Read this stuff before you see her again. You may strongly reconsider your efforts to befriending her.

TheBends86

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by nonstop
do you always have lunch at the same place? try suggesting somewhere else next time and take your 'friendship' into a different environment.
We do, at the uni bar, because we only have a 1.5hr slot in our timetables. We have classes together on either side of lunch, but I usually have to stay back later then her. However last week she gave me a lift home in her car. So yeah, I might be in the friends zone, but hey, I'm gonna get SOMETHING positive out of this.

belividere - I will be reading the DJ bible, for sure, I have already skim read segments.

TheBends86

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hmm.

I think I might go with this, and just give it a go, how can I really lose out? I'll certainly try an organise somewhere diff for lunch on Thursday, maybe something more 'snack-like' so we can actually talk, its hard to have big convos in the uni pub ... lol.

And hey, I'd be keen to ask her somewhere for sure.

Reaction score
Hey kid, your missing my point!!!

Don't keep going to lunch with her because this doesn't tell you her interest level - she thinks you are her lunch buddy!!! Do you want a lunch buddy or a GIRL???

What I am saying is pursue her romantically and set an actual "DATE" (not the same-o lunch thing) and see what she says - I don't know if you are ready for this step.

Or if you can gauge her interest in you some other way then by all means inquire. Make sure she doen't have a b/f!!

escobar04

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
weird

I'm in the same boots as this guy

I was dumped like a month ago and now I go to lunch twice a week with this girl for the past two weeks

but that's where this all ends

I DON'T see her as something more of a friend so I just act as her friend

as for you!

fvck the game, set up a date if you feel like she'll say yes or try to get some romantic signs from her