A different kind of health and fitness...

jackofasses

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok, so.. Now that we're all talking health and fitness and all gym and stuff I was just wondering what all of your opinions are on mental health and well being and stuff.

It's commong knowledge that stress, anger, depression and the like all contribute to failing health whether it be more frequent colds and flu to something more severe like cardiovascular disease and even Cancer. Having known my mother to be a surpemely healthy woman over the past few years (except for depression from having been divorced and being away from her kids) I am pretty convinced that her death from cancer earlier this year was a direct link to her mental health and well being over the past few years (seeing as there is no history of any form of disease or illness in her family tree) whereas my fathers side is riddled with it (porbably because all his brothers/sisters and direct family in general suffered abuse.. physical, mental and sexual, as well as incestious relationships and the like which can't do much for your mental well being especially when you're a young child and the scarring can be rather permanent.) as well as riddled with depression, short tempers and stress (not to mention ALOT of failing relationships.)

So basically, I wanted to bring this up because sure, looking good and getting girls is one thing, but being around and staying alive to enjoy them is another. Yeah, people who are in better physical shape tend to live longer and avoid most chronic illnesses and even fatal diseases more often, but are not completely immune to them (such was the case with my mother, after years of being overweight and not doing anything about it she finally got to the gym and completely 180'd her life and was super fit before she moved to england only to fall back into her lonely routine and even more misery then finally being diadnose with cancer not even 2 years ago and finally expiring on the 23rd of march this year.)

Not being the most fit (which i can always fix if I ever stop being lazy) I would like to bring up the whole mental aspect of being fit. Like learning to focuse ones emotional energy into the positive stuff (like working out, or just going out and having fun, improving ones career, etc.) rather than being stuck in a never ending rutt.

As an example, I myself tend to be quite an emotional person, I don't know why, but I tend to go from one extreme to the other pretty quick (but most often i am SUPER fast to anger). Though I am learning to control it better in time, it still does get the better of me at times and has successfully ruined several relationships of mine (yet I still don't learn, I become a total different person and it's hard to snap me out of it.) I also suffer from some depression, mostly due to the failing of those relationships (because I know it's not the girls fault, it is 100% completely my own stupidity) and few other things (dead mom, dead cat, dropping self-esteem from all of the emotional crap, etc.) This actually worries me alot (yeah, which causes me stress and mental and emotional exaustion) because of the history of cancer in my family. I worry that my constant worrying, depression and anger are going to result in me dying at a younger age or having some of these chronic illnesses. I am actually quite terrified of it.

So can we maybe discuss some tips/trickson then mental health aspect? Maybe anger management tips/tricks (I am currently looking to enroll in a class in the hopes that it will help, though i've heard from many people that it doesn't) as well as maybe some stress management or even foods that can help maintain a healthier brain chemistry (yeah, chemicals in the brain do need balancing and are affected by what we eat.)

Just toss in your two cents please. I'm gettin pretty tired of being sick and tired. And no, just hitting the gym doesn't help. I've done it before for years and the underlying stress and stuff is still there.

Honda-821

Don Juan
Reaction score
ya i used to be the same person your talking about until i decided to change my life. i went from being depressed, never talked, had 0 girlfriends, and nobody knew who i was to being outgoing, talkative, having tons of girls, and being well know.
some stuff that helped me out was to not let the little stuff affect you. normally if some one said somethin like "ha your hair is like alfalfa (sp?)"
i would think about it constantly for the rest of the day "omg im so dumb" "i should have said blah blah back" "etc....
when you get up, tell yourself you are attractive and you ARE going to have a great day. even if you have a bad day and somebody asked how your day was, say GREAT!
that helped me out a lot. it was weird though, after a while i went from getting 0 looks from girls to getting quite a few looks.
um what else...
stand up straight like you are proud.
(you might be wondering what does all this have to do with mental health? i have no clue what it does but it definatly works)
when your truely happy, it is a lot harder to get angry.
it may take a while, but adventually it will work.
thats all i can think of now, if i think of more ill post them
eat healthy too

Sir Juanalot

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
One thing i have learned over time is that worry = wasted energy. If you can't control the outcome, then there is no point in worrying about it. Depression is a *****, i have suffered with it in the past, but changing your mindset and choosing not to worry about things over which you have no control is the first step to overcoming depression / negative thinking.

Worrying about cancer is the same as worrying about a piano falling on your head, theres jack sh!t you can do about it, so why worry.

I hope you overcome it in time, and wish you well.

(Sorry to hear about your mother).

Jippii

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes you're on a great track thinking about this. Mastering anger and anxiety are great.

After reading your post I got an intuition to post some books that have helped me with these things you talk about, directly or indirectly. I can't remember the last time I was sick, it doesn't happen.

These books are the real deal and it all works in the real world.

The Magic of Thinking Big - David Schwartz
A classic. It has instilled some great ways of thinking in me.

All the ebooks by Dr. Paul Dobransky. The Secrets of Mature Masculine Power and MindOS might be good places to start.
These are THE books that have given me a complete and full understanding of anger and anxiety, and how to turn them in to well-being and confidence. For example you would get an understanding of why the worrying you seem to be doing is destructive, why you're in a rut, and how to get out of it. Personal boundaries are big (which you are not using very effectively by worrying
and spending mental energy on that which you can't control.) Spending energy on that which you can't control is called suffering and is a big culprit of stress, anger, depression, and the like. You're suffering by spending energy on your failed relationships, your dead mother and your dead cat dude. Cut it out and start saying "no" to these ****ty topics. Your suffering is putting you on the fast track for depression and having all this ****ty stuff you worry about. Recommending Dr. Paul's stuff to you was just screaming out at me as I read your post because I have gotten so much out of it and basically don't have any issues with anxiety or anger anymore. It has taught me how to be my own coach, therapist and father even.

Arnold: The Education of a Bodybuilder - Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Inspiring, motivational, entertaining, and has taught me how to visualize and the mindset of a winner. It does not matter if you want to look like Arnold or not, it teaches the mindset of a winner and he pulls together his ideas about thinking and it's effect on what he has in life. 7 time Mr. Olympia, one of the biggest movie stars, governor of California - he's the real deal. In the training section of the book he also mentions that he has not had the flu or been sick since he was a young teenager.

Watch the movie The Secret. It's downloadable from www.torrentspy.com. Now it has some limitations particularly when it comes having mature personal boundaries and separating what we control from what we don't. Some of it might be horse****. But it's a great dose of hope and kicking one's self out of a rut.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi said:
I visualize women staring at me while I'm working out, admiring my routine and my physique.
Haha... ohhhh espi, what an incredible ROUTINE you have!

jackofasses

Don Juan
Reaction score
Wow, it's really good to have some positive feedback from people who are actually here to feel better about themselves rather than just **** anything that moves.

The main reason I posted this is actually due to a fight I had with my girlfriend that led to yet another breakup. It's just.. for me it's not about approaching women or whatever that's the problem. I can land HOT girls and I know I can. Hell.. my ex.. who i'm still working stuff out with.. is easily a 10 but sadly, despite the fact that she's amazing I find myself screwing up. Not because I don't love her but because I worry and stress and actually get so worked up that I lose my temper and say really stupid ****.

That's part of the problem, my wicked temper and I know it's just build up from everything that's happened. I just want to turn that energy around and use it for positive **** to reinforce my relationships rather than destroy them.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sir Juanalot said:
One thing i have learned over time is that worry = wasted energy. If you can't control the outcome, then there is no point in worrying about it.
This is HUGE. Once I adopted this outlook on life, things became so much clearer.

jackofasses

Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
This is HUGE. Once I adopted this outlook on life, things became so much clearer.
Ok, but what can you actually control in life? You really can't control much at all. You have no control over other peoples actions (well ok, you might in a limited way by being nice and playing head games or whatever.. but even then, that'd pretty limited.)

What are examples of things you can and can't control?

jackofasses

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok, so i just watched The Secret. Well last night when i couldn't sleep. I do find the concept interesting but as you said.. maybe a little far fetched.. however.. How many of us have ever been really tight on money and said.. I really wish money would come in right now and then magically get a cheque from the government or our tax return or anything like that.

I know I have. I've had things happen to me several times where I have literally asked (mostly god though, which is wierd because i'm not overly religious) and have had exactly what I wanted delivered to my door. Mostly money though. It's never really predictable.. but even down to finding a 20 on the floor at the bus station a few months back..

anyway, the concept is interesting but in a way i'm sure it also relates to the fact that when you put your mind to something your subconscious naturally makes you take steps TOWARDS the goal. The univers doesn't hand you a house.. but subconsciously you want it so you put money aside and when you have enough you go looking for it. Just like i'm sure the guy who made almost 100,000 in a month on his book had less to do with the universe and more with programming his subconscious to find a way.. even if that way is selling a book at like 25 cents a shot or whatever.

who really knows.. strange things happen.

Sir Juanalot

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
jackofasses said:
Ok, but what can you actually control in life? You really can't control much at all. You have no control over other peoples actions (well ok, you might in a limited way by being nice and playing head games or whatever.. but even then, that'd pretty limited.)

What are examples of things you can and can't control?
You can control

1) You
2) Your attitude
3) Your physical wellbeing
4) Your education
5) Your job
6) Your finances

You cant control other people, as much as you would like to be able to, neither can you control random events, so worrying about them is wasting your time and energy.

Make a top ten list of things you need to do, and put number one as "Me"

jackofasses

Don Juan
Reaction score
Sir Juanalot said:
You can control

1) You
2) Your attitude
3) Your physical wellbeing
4) Your education
5) Your job
6) Your finances

You cant control other people, as much as you would like to be able to, neither can you control random events, so worrying about them is wasting your time and energy.

Make a top ten list of things you need to do, and put number one as "Me"
Alright.. and how might i go about this? any good starting points (other than the above mentioned books and movie)

Interceptor

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What are you grateful for?
What do you appreciate in your life?
What is your dream job?
Where do you want to be in 5 years?
What are your passions?

Who or What made you build up and hold so much anger??????

Why do you want to HOLD ON to YOUR ANGER?????????

If you realize your ANGER is HOLDING YOU BACK AND HOLDING YOU DOWN why do you INSIST on the Infinity Gauntlet???

Your punishment you experience is a result of you not listening to yourself. Your punishment for not changing is your daily suffering you experience.

Your self realizes what's wrong.
Your self realize what's good.

Pay attention to what's good, positive, and uplifting in your life,

Pay attention and FOCUS ONLY on Positive aspects in your day. Every Day.

You must read this. Sorry , dude. You can't get out of here without readin gthe entire book.
http://www.jbspencer.com/djb/Downloads/The Book of Pook.pdf

Go here:

http://www.hypnotica.org/

Listen to this:

http://www.theinnergameguru.com/media/The Collection of Confidence 1b.mp3

Read this:

http://www.buildfreedom.com/tl/tl12.shtml

Try this:
http://www.emofree.com/default.htm

Read this:

http://www.abraham-hicks.com/teachings.php

And this:

http://www.doctorpaul.net/maturemasculinepower.htm

Many more if you want. Start with these.
And be grateful for help. Appreciate, and never take for granted.

Good luck.

jackofasses

Don Juan
Reaction score
Interceptor said:
What are you grateful for?
Well i'm guess i'm grateful for being in good health (though not in good shape) and for having a job where i'm around people who like to have fun and joke around.

Interceptor said:
What do you appreciate in your life?
I'm really not sure on this one... to be quite honest...

Interceptor said:
What is your dream job?
Still don't know... i'm 25 and i have no idea what i want to do with life...

Interceptor said:
Where do you want to be in 5 years?
Another thing i'm not sure of.. i'd like to have a house, a wife, maybe a kid or two. I mean right now i just wish i was still with that girl..and it's blindingly painful. I really have a hard time focusing it's retarded. I just can't forget all the good fun **** we did...grrr

Interceptor said:
What are your passions?
Pretty sad when 4 of my answers are 'not sure'. I don't feel particularly passionate about anything i don't think.. then again.. when it comes down to debates or what not with friends there are certain things i am adamant about. Just like the way i get in relationships people refer to me as passionate alot (not between the sheets but passionate about being in love and whatever).. maybe that's code for clingy.

Interceptor said:
Who or What made you build up and hold so much anger??????
There's just alot of pain in my life right now.. so much anger for **** people have done to me in the past.. I dunno.. maybe i feel abandoned by god (was raise catholic.. sorry folks.. not like i go to church every day or anything.. just.. bah) There's a ****load of emotional bull**** i have to deal with. why i hold on? I don't know.. i know some of it i need to let go. but i still can't name anything or any reason in particular.

Interceptor said:
Why do you want to HOLD ON to YOUR ANGER?????????
I don't. dear god i don't. I just wish i could let go of that and my jealousy.

Interceptor said:
If you realize your ANGER is HOLDING YOU BACK AND HOLDING YOU DOWN why do you INSIST on the Infinity Gauntlet???
probably because i'm ****ing stupid.

Interceptor said:
Your punishment you experience is a result of you not listening to yourself. Your punishment for not changing is your daily suffering you experience.

Your self realizes what's wrong.
Your self realize what's good.

Pay attention to what's good, positive, and uplifting in your life,

Pay attention and FOCUS ONLY on Positive aspects in your day. Every Day.

You must read this. Sorry , dude. You can't get out of here without readin gthe entire book.
http://www.jbspencer.com/djb/Downloads/The Book of Pook.pdf

Go here:

http://www.hypnotica.org/

Listen to this:

http://www.theinnergameguru.com/media/The Collection of Confidence 1b.mp3

Read this:

http://www.buildfreedom.com/tl/tl12.shtml

Try this:
http://www.emofree.com/default.htm

Read this:

http://www.abraham-hicks.com/teachings.php

And this:

http://www.doctorpaul.net/maturemasculinepower.htm

Many more if you want. Start with these.
And be grateful for help. Appreciate, and never take for granted.

Good luck.

Sir Juanalot

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
jackofasses said:
Alright.. and how might i go about this? any good starting points (other than the above mentioned books and movie)
1st thing you have to do is this.

Every time you get a negative thought about yourself, shake your head and then say exactly the opposite to yourself, after a while your brain kinda rewires itself (hard to explain lol) and you are a lot less negative about yourself. See how that works for you for starters.

jackofasses

Don Juan
Reaction score
Sir Juanalot said:
1st thing you have to do is this.

Every time you get a negative thought about yourself, shake your head and then say exactly the opposite to yourself, after a while your brain kinda rewires itself (hard to explain lol) and you are a lot less negative about yourself. See how that works for you for starters.
I just wish telling myself that the girl will be back would actually make her come back. God damnit... can't get my head or heart off of her. Everytime i look at a girl, no matter how hot it goes right back to her (and i work in a ****ing mall!)

jackofasses

Don Juan
Reaction score
jackofasses said:
I just wish telling myself that the girl will be back would actually make her come back. God damnit... can't get my head or heart off of her. Everytime i look at a girl, no matter how hot it goes right back to her (and i work in a ****ing mall!)

Ewww.. what the hell am I doing?

Anyway.. So i've been reading alot of the stuff you guys have passed me.. Jesus it is ALOT to absorb. Not to mention that whole emotional control thing sounds REALLY friggin hard. It's not the first time i've heard one can control their feelings simply by becoming conscious of them. But I mean.. knowing how i am.. what tricks do I use to become conscious of them. I forget constantly. I'm always distracted by thoughts whirling through my head.

someone help me rewire my brain.