7 rules for texting girls

mojo16

Don Juan
Reaction score
Okay, it has happened to everyone. You send a girl a text, then you wish you had a time machine so you could stop it being sent. It's usually not a HUGE deal but it can make you feel pretty stupid sometimes.

Follow these 7 rules and you should be able to avoid any post-text-remorse :)

haha.

1. Do not text her without a reason.
2. Do not text her twice in a row.
3. Do not ask too many questions.
4. Do not always reply immediately.
5. Do not use smiley faces.*
6. Always use correct spelling and grammar.*
7. Try to be the one who ends the ‘texting session’ first.

* rules 5 and 6 are obviously my personal opinion, but i think most of us would agree that smileys and typ1ng lyK3 d1S is not going to do you any favours.

xdreamz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yea.. i try to end the conversation first also though but i don't make it seem like i'm in a rush. you should just end it before it gets boring.

realtalk

Don Juan
Reaction score
Using smilies is a must.

Most of human communication is done through body language, facial expression and vocal tonality. In a text, you've got none of that to convey playfulness except maybe 'lol' and 'jk'.

With a simple smiley you can convey playfulness :p, flirtiness ;), sarcasm :) etc

I email people at my job and because it's professional I don't use smileys. I can't tell you how many times there are disputes because somebody mistook what I meant in an email. They think I'm angry or threatening them when I'm simply asking.

Ease

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Add to your rules:

Your text is always shorter than hers.

realtalk said:
Using smilies is a must.

Most of human communication is done through body language, facial expression and vocal tonality. In a text, you've got none of that to convey playfulness except maybe 'lol' and 'jk'.

With a simple smiley you can convey playfulness :p, flirtiness ;), sarcasm :) etc

I email people at my job and because it's professional I don't use smileys. I can't tell you how many times there are disputes because somebody mistook what I meant in an email. They think I'm angry or threatening them when I'm simply asking.
Using smilies is also super gay.

If you want to convey homosexuality, then this is the way to do it.

pipe007

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
if you gonna send a smilie this is the one to use ;) (once or twice should be ok)

I've used :) and :D in the past, and they come off as gay.

women haze

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
What the hell is with all these texting rules and caution in texting bull sh!@....Just ****in send what you want to send. If a girl is turned off by what kind of text you send then they are not interested in you in the first place. Why are so many men afraid to express and be themselves

Iceberg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ease said:
Using smilies is also super gay.

If you want to convey homosexuality, then this is the way to do it.

Agreed. Smilies are ridiculous looking.

No one is going to tell me that "See ya tomorrow =o)" is somehow better than "See ya tomorrow".

Like, wow, I wouldn't know that this person was happy to see me tomorrow if that stupid smiley wasn't there.

realtalk said:
Using smilies is a must.

And for most of humanity, most of human communication (outside of face-to-face interaction) was done via letter. And I don't know about you, but I didn't see too many old letters in history class featuring smiley faces and "lol"s.

"Dear Martha,
Can't wait 2 see u 2nite. =o)

Sincerely,
George Washington"

Smileys have been around for like 10 years, and are totally unnecessary.

xdreamz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
there is a time and place for a smiley face. like have you ever noticed that you see a cute girl walk by and you smile at her and she just looks away? it is because you are giving out your intent right on the spot, she knows ur trying to seduce her and that does not convey a challenge. like mystery method... after you neg someone you smile because it shows good intentions and makes her feel better.

P

perseverance

Here's my tip.

# unless you are a friends with a girl do not text her at all.

If I am seeing a girl I will not text her whatsoever, I'll always call.

If I am friends with a girl I will text her as she is not important enough for me to call and if I am in a relationship I will only send a text if I cannot call for whatever reason which is rarely.

Texts weren't designed for long, drawn out conversations. Texts are there for a quick message i.e. "hi I'm running late, see you in ten minutes".

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Iceberg said:
"Dear Martha,
Can't wait 2 see u 2nite. =o)

Sincerely,
George Washington"

Smileys have been around for like 10 years, and are totally unnecessary.
Good one, Iceberg.

I was going to add that laughing green smiley but I dared not. Should I wink here?

Just goofing around. Thanks for the laugh.

Iceberg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
perseverance said:
Here's my tip.

# unless you are a friends with a girl do not text her at all.

If I am seeing a girl I will not text her whatsoever, I'll always call.

If I am friends with a girl I will text her as she is not important enough for me to call and if I am in a relationship I will only send a text if I cannot call for whatever reason which is rarely.

Texts weren't designed for long, drawn out conversations. Texts are there for a quick message i.e. "hi I'm running late, see you in ten minutes".
Well the thing is, I only do "long drawn out conversations" in person. There's nothing worse than sitting there with a phone pressed to my ear as some girl drones on about her week. Frankly, I rarely even spent lots of time talking on the phone to my "serious" girlfriends.

So if it's a girl I'm trying to date, I'll definitely text. Because I don't have any reason to spend 30 minutes talking to her via phone. We'll talk over a beer or not at all.

And you're right. Texts aren't for long conversations. It's: "Hey how's your week going? Let's get a drink tomorrow."

She responds: "The week's going blah blah. Tomorrow sounds great."
End of conversation.

xdreamz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yea you dont want to rule out any ways of communication. if u gotta text u gotta text.. its funny i would used to send little --<-<-@ to get her attention first and when she responded back i would call her real fast and set up a date... i ought to try that again you guys gave me some ideas :]

Zarky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
women haze said:
What the hell is with all these texting rules and caution in texting bull sh!@....Just ****in send what you want to send. If a girl is turned off by what kind of text you send then they are not interested in you in the first place. Why are so many men afraid to express and be themselves
"Just be yourself" eh? Kind of 180 degrees the opposite of pickup theory. If you're just going to do that then why bother even talking about things?

I use smilies when I want to be over the top farcical, but rarely in the first stages of meeting. Part of my shtick is that I'm kind of silly sometimes and have an offbeat sense of humor, and smilies work for that.

Borknagar

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
haha but with many of us who are getting so deep into the game it becomes ourselves!

Mantis Toboggan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
women haze said:
A lot of peoples' first instinct is to do corny sh*t. Which is why this site exists.

Just sending what you want to send can result in a lot of these guys lowering a woman's interest by being too available, trying too hard, looking too desperate, etc.

teacha

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
women haze said:
+1

this is one of the problems with this place, most people simply try too hard. they try hard to find the perfect ways of getting girls without getting rejected and develop all these silly rules but fail to realise that at the end of the day, it does not fvcking matter.

Some of the crap you guys argue about here is irrelavant in the real world like this for example, smilies/spelling and grammar/length of text etc won't make or break anything (unless she wasn't really interested in you in the first place)......you do not need all these silly rules. BE WHO YOU REALLY ARE.

Darth

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rules for Texting Girls:

1. Don't text girls.
2. Don't break rule number one

WayOfTheDragon

Don Juan
Reaction score
This is a great subject and something I've been wondering about for awhile.

In the end, I came to the conclusion to NOT text girls your possible looking to pursue for a relationship. Calling them on the phone makes you look like a man and shows to her your serious.

Just texting her makes you look like a boy that isn't sure of what he wants from her. The second she sense this, unless she's really attracted to you, her interest level in you is going to drop.

And smiley faces are gay. Very gay. Sounds like something a ***** High Schooler would do to make sure the girl didn't "think" the wrong thing from the message. Nothing a man would do. If she has an issue with what your saying (and you don't), to hell with her, and on to the next one.