My trip to Europe, impressions

sevbucmash

Don Juan
Reaction score
I recently travelled to Europe for two weeks and here is a short of my observation.

I was in Vienna, Bratislava, Ostrawa, and Warsaw. First and foremost, I always imagined that I am going to be impressed visiting Europe, but I got shocked and disgusted. Vienna, they have a big rainbow flag right at the main train station, you sitting drinking coffee and outside the window there are homeless, some are sleeping others are throwing up. Graffiti everywhere, even on historic buildings. Supermarkets are too few. Prices Dubai, but you are not in Dubai. The general feeling I got from Europe is like from some 3rd world country.

2024-10-08_08-42.png 2024-10-08_08-42_1.png

Warsaw was the worst offender. They have everything Vienna has, high prices, graffiti everywhere, rainbow flags, homeless, etc.. But what got me the most was lack of supermarkets. At first I thought I was searching google maps wrong, but no, I wasn't. They have a lot of small convinience shops, and no more than a couple of supermarkets. Those that are proper supermarkets, don't even come close in selection to what I have in my city. My city -- 7 proper supermarkets within a walking distance from my place. Warsaw -- 4 convinience stores / mini markets within same walking distance. Plus the prices, you buy a few things and it's already 80 zloti, for same money in my city I walk out with one large bag of food.

Not everything is bad though. Europe has excellent salami and other cured meat and excellent beer.

Fuel prices are around 1.5 euros, 3 plus times more that what I have at home.

After my trip I began appreciating my own country a lot more. Europe, I don't know why it is 1st world or premium, or people talk about it in good light always. It is an expensive s* hole, it looked more like 3rd world country to me. Perhaps it was excellent sometime ago, but not now.

This is so to speak, my own first hand experience. I wouldn't beleive anyone who wrote something like this prior to going there myself.

There is also youtube channel I'm subbed to, German in Venice, and he was in Germany recently, in his own home town, his experiences are about the same as mine.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was in Vienna, Bratislava, Ostrawa, and Warsaw.
Well, it looks like you've seen all of Europe then. :cool:

But what got me the most was lack of supermarkets. At first I thought I was searching google maps wrong, but no, I wasn't. They have a lot of small convinience shops, and no more than a couple of supermarkets. Those that are proper supermarkets, don't even come close in selection to what I have in my city. My city -- 7 proper supermarkets within a walking distance from my place. Warsaw -- 4 convinience stores / mini markets within same walking distance.
I'm sorry we didn't have satisfying supermarkets for you. Europe isn't big on supermarkets. You might have known that if you had read about Europe before coming over, but I guess you didn't bother. ;)

After my trip I began appreciating my own country a lot more. Europe, I don't know why it is 1st world or premium, or people talk about it in good light always. It is an expensive s* hole, it looked more like 3rd world country to me. Perhaps it was excellent sometime ago, but not now.
Like sleeping with a tramp makes your relationship with your boring wife better. I get it. Glad something positive came out of it. :)

BaronOfHair

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I recently travelled to Europe for two weeks and here is a short of my observation.

I was in Vienna, Bratislava, Ostrawa, and Warsaw. First and foremost, I always imagined that I am going to be impressed visiting Europe, but I got shocked and disgusted. Vienna, they have a big rainbow flag right at the main train station, you sitting drinking coffee and outside the window there are homeless, some are sleeping others are throwing up. Graffiti everywhere, even on historic buildings. Supermarkets are too few. Prices Dubai, but you are not in Dubai. The general feeling I got from Europe is like from some 3rd world country.

View attachment 13214 View attachment 13216

Warsaw was the worst offender. They have everything Vienna has, high prices, graffiti everywhere, rainbow flags, homeless, etc.. But what got me the most was lack of supermarkets. At first I thought I was searching google maps wrong, but no, I wasn't. They have a lot of small convinience shops, and no more than a couple of supermarkets. Those that are proper supermarkets, don't even come close in selection to what I have in my city. My city -- 7 proper supermarkets within a walking distance from my place. Warsaw -- 4 convinience stores / mini markets within same walking distance. Plus the prices, you buy a few things and it's already 80 zloti, for same money in my city I walk out with one large bag of food.

Not everything is bad though. Europe has excellent salami and other cured meat and excellent beer.

Fuel prices are around 1.5 euros, 3 plus times more that what I have at home.

This is so to speak, my own first hand experience. I wouldn't beleive anyone who wrote something like this prior to going there myself.

There is also youtube channel I'm subbed to, German in Venice, and he was in Germany recently, in his own home town, his experiences are about the same as mine.
Sounds like it wasn't the most memorable Eurotrip
in living memory

Clockwerk50

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I still don’t understand why people spend their money to go to these places. I’d rather invest in an all-inclusive resort in the Caribbean like Jamaica or Dominican Republic, where I don’t have to cook or clean. They make my bed, I log off the world by having limited phone signal, and I can eat, drink, swim, and take naps to my heart’s content while enjoying various activities.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I still don’t understand why people spend their money to go to these places. I’d rather invest in an all-inclusive resort in the Caribbean like Jamaica or Dominican Republic, where I don’t have to cook or clean. They make my bed, I log off the world by having limited phone signal, and I can eat, drink, swim, and take naps to my heart’s content while enjoying various activities.
The 'first world' Europe that is well-known abroad is Western Europe, the wealthiest part of Europe. Countries like the Netherlands, West Germany, and France are some of the wealthier countries where the standard of living far exceeds that of the United States. Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece are favourite holiday destinations with great food, wonderful architecture and outdoor life due to the warm climate.

And then there's the part of Europe where OP @sevbucmash went:
1728414554489.png
Central Europe is a mixed bag: some countries like Poland and Romania are only for people with a particular taste, but Hungary and Czech Republic are wonderful countries. The more you go to the east, the heavier the Soviet influence, although some of those countries like Moldova are not just gorgeous, but also often used as retreats/spas, so they didn't get fvcked up like Ukraine and Belarus.

So, for a European it's incredibly funny when a foreigner looking for Europe spends two weeks in a few cities in the poorer part of Central Europe that are not very reputable and bases his opinion on Europe on the lack of supermarkets and how expensive everything was in tourist trap Vienna (which lies close to Central Europe, but is actually part of Western Europe).

This is akin to a Central European judging 'America' based on a visit to Nebraska and Idaho with a brief visit to Nashville and bitching how expensive Memphis is in comparison to their supermarket in Warsaw.

Really, @sevbucmash, if you think Vienna was expensive, you'll have an inkling how expensive life is in the rest of Western Europe, especially in tourist destinations like Amsterdam, Rome or Barcelona. The prices for coffee in Paris or gasoline in the Netherlands will really hurt your wallet.

Last edited:

BaronOfHair

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Looking forward to his review of Asia. I hear Pyongyang has far fewer Wal Marts than Peoria.
And that tweens in Bangkok make even the sluttiest American adolescents look like billboards for wholesomeness, by comparison :eek: :rolleyes:

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I went to Europe as well for 3 weeks this summer and loved it...other than AC wasn't everywhere when it was needed.

If you are looking for Utopia, it doesn't exist. Every place has its own issues they are dealing with.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
The 'first world' Europe that is well-known abroad is Western Europe, the wealthiest part of Europe. Countries like the Netherlands, West Germany, and France are some of the wealthier countries where the standard of living far exceeds that of the United States. Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece are favourite holiday destinations with great food, wonderful architecture and outdoor life due to the warm climate.

View attachment 13219
Central Europe is a mixed bag: some countries like Poland and Romania are only for people with a particular taste, but Hungary and Czech Republic are wonderful countries. The more you go to the east, the heavier the Soviet influence, although some of those countries like Moldova are not just gorgeous, but also often used as retreats/spas, so they didn't get fvcked up like Ukraine and Belarus.

So, for a European it's incredibly funny when a foreigner looking for Europe spends two weeks in a few cities in the poorer part of Central Europe that are not very reputable and bases his opinion on Europe on the lack of supermarkets and how expensive everything was in tourist trap Vienna (which lies close to Central Europe, but is actually part of Western Europe).

This is akin to a Central European judging 'America' based on a visit to Nebraska and Idaho with a brief visit to Nashville and bitching how expensive Memphis is in comparison to your supermarket in Warsaw.

Really, @sevbucmash, if you think Vienna was expensive, you'll have an inkling how expensive life is in the rest of Western Europe, especially in tourist destinations like Amsterdam, Rome or Barcelona. The prices for coffee in Paris or gasoline in the Netherlands will really hurt your wallet.
Yeah...I can attest to that...the parking is outrageous in Amsterdam...paid 21 Euros for like an hour and a half in a museum parking lot.

In general, things are probably more expensive than in the US, especially fuel and energy costs, but the houses are also much smaller in general and you aren't driving as far usually or walk/take public transportation to a lot of places.

Europeans also seem to have less "stuff" than Americans so it may be less expensive simply because they don't "need" all the things Americans think they need.

Also, OP should go to Luxembourg and go ride for free on their brand new Mercedes buses and let me know what a "sh!t hole" he thinks it is there...one of the richest countries in Europe, maybe you should have gone there OP since you didn't seem to go to see the history there.

Last edited:

Clockwerk50

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

View attachment 13219

This is akin to a Central European judging 'America' based on a visit to Nebraska and Idaho with a brief visit to Nashville and bitching how expensive Memphis is in comparison to their supermarket in Warsaw.

I agree to a certain extent. I've heard great things about Madrid, Lisbon, and Copenhagen. I have also encountered negative opinions about Paris, Florence, and the Scottish cuisine. What I'm trying to say is that it's impossible to categorize Western Europe as a whole, given its incredible diversity. There are thriving nations, but some are facing significant challenges, like Greece.

Maybe because I live in a first-class city I haven’t felt the inclination to visit another city, especially the ones from Western Europe that resemble where I live. However, I’ll admit that I can't afford an all-inclusive resort in Mallorca or Santorini. That's why I enjoy my trips to Puerto Vallarta, where I can relax without the need to do any chores.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree to a certain extent. I've heard great things about Madrid, Lisbon, and Copenhagen. I have also encountered negative opinions about Paris, Florence, and the Scottish cuisine. What I'm trying to say is that it's impossible to categorize Western Europe as a whole, given its incredible diversity. There are thriving nations, but some are facing significant challenges, like Greece.
I wasn't trying for a total assessment of Western Europe. I agree with you on the cities you mention. And you're right, the diversity of European countries is more divergent than the differences between American states, which is why it's ridiculous to visit a few cities in a part of Central Europe and use that experience the cast aspersions on the entire continent.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score

Maybe because I live in a first-class city I haven’t felt the inclination to visit another city, especially the ones from Western Europe that resemble where I live. However, I’ll admit that I can't afford an all-inclusive resort in Mallorca or Santorini. That's why I enjoy my trips to Puerto Vallarta, where I can relax without the need to do any chores.
Loved Paris.

BaronOfHair

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Apparently is completely different from how they portrait it in films and tv shows, especially hygiene and crime rate wise.
Similar to Hollywood's portrayal of NYC. Catching up with a train via car chase is never as possible as it was in The French Connection

sevbucmash

Don Juan
Reaction score
or Barcelona
There was a joke I heard recently about Barselona. Two people arguing online. You have to buy special bag in Barselona, which you wear on the front, so that your crap don't get stolen, but in United Arab Emirates everyone leaves their iPhones on the beach and goes swimming. The other person defends Barselona. The other side, in Barselona two men can walk holding hands and kiss and nobody will touch them, in United Arab Emirates they will be stonned to death.

So :zip::zip: that means Barselona doesn't even have a chance.

Loved Paris.
No! :eek:

Vanderdonck

Don Juan
Reaction score
I wouldn’t know. Apparently is completely different from how they portrait it in films and tv shows, especially hygiene and crime rate wise.
The rude Parisian stereotype didn't hold true for me. Of course any huge city will have rude people. I found Parisians very nice and welcoming. It helps to make an effort and speak a word or two in French. Besides that it's an incredibly charming city with top notch cuisine and wine.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There was a joke I heard recently about Barselona. Two people arguing online. You have to buy special bag in Barselona, which you wear on the front, so that your crap don't get stolen, but in United Arab Emirates everyone leaves their iPhones on the beach and goes swimming. The other person defends Barselona. The other side, in Barselona two men can walk holding hands and kiss and nobody will touch them, in United Arab Emirates they will be stonned to death.

So :zip::zip: that means Barselona doesn't even have a chance.
No, that is Barselona.

I'm talking about Barcelona, in Spain.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The rude Parisian stereotype didn't hold true for me. Of course any huge city will have rude people. I found Parisians very nice and welcoming. It helps to make an effort and speak a word or two in French. Besides that it's an incredibly charming city with top notch cuisine and wine.
I lived in Quartier Latin for a few months a few decades ago. My French still has a Parisian inflection. I still go to Paris every few years.
Living in a city is really different from just visiting as a tourist. And the Parisians warm up quite quickly when you speak some French and take an effort to communicate in their language, even when you butcher it.