Would it look awkward if I were to read a newspaper or book at a bar or Pub?

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I read all the time, doesn't matter where I am. Anytime I have to wait for something and people whip out their phone, I whip out my e-reader and continue reading. That's the nice thing about e-readers, you don't need to bookmark your page, just switch it off and it will open on that page when you switch it on again. And I have a stack of unread e-books waiting. Currently working through Iain M. Banks Culture series.
When I'm reading in a bar, it's never considered weird or awkward, but even if it was, I wouldn't care.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Because I'd rather not come off as an anti social douchebag.

But yes you're right....I should stop really caring about what others think....aslong as Im minding my own business and not hurting anyone, Im good to go.
Most people care far more about themselves than they do about anyone else.

HaleyBaron

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've seen this happen before at bars. Now, if it's like on a weekday during one of those casual hours, then sure. Go ahead. But doing it during any of the active peak hours is where it comes off as weird and unsociable. It doesn't give you any social points, either. If you're drinking at a bar, you're there to socialize, especially during said hours. Even if you are lounging, someone inevitably is going to come up to you.

Some guys do this to try to appear smart as a tactic to make girls try to come up to them. I'm here to tell you, it's not attractive nor is it like in the movies where this interaction is dramatized. Same for cafes. If you're legitimately there to chill, then that's fine. It is when you take it to a bar where it becomes cringy.

Clockwerk50

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
So, have we been to a bar in the past couple of weeks? Did you talk to women? How did it go?

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm pretty much a solitary guy and go on a lot of solo outings.

Would it look awkward if I were to read a newspaper or book in a bar or Pub? Say if I were to spend a solitary evening there by myself and I got no one to talk to. I think this act would be more suited for a coffee shop.......but say you wanna get a glass of beer or wine. What do you guys think?

I think I'd sit in a less crowded area and away from all the noise especially if there showing sports games lol
I don't think that it would be awkward but it seems kind of pointless. If you just want to have a beer and read a book, why not do it at home? Why pay more for alcohol at a bar? Other than for the social aspect, I don't see the point of going to a bar.

GoodMan32

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't think that it would be awkward but it seems kind of pointless. If you just want to have a beer and read a book, why not do it at home? Why pay more for alcohol at a bar? Other than for the social aspect, I don't see the point of going to a bar.
Pretty much agree with what you're saying.

Cafes are somewhat quiet (as far as public places go). So it's no surprise reading a book is common at a cafe (hell, Barnes and Noble has a cafe for that purpose). A bar, on the other hand, is loud enough I imagine it would be hard to concentrate on a book.

One potential happy medium: It's becoming more and more common for cafes to serve alcohol (the cafe I frequent serves alcohol). Getting an alcoholic drink at a cafe (while reading a book) is an idea.

Deep Dish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've sat in restaurant bars reading a French frequency dictionary, and never felt awkward, don't care what other people think, and never had a problem with concentration. I can understand, though, if a bar was more of a nightclub, that distractions would be more of an issue.

I get social interactions with the bartenders, but not the other people around me, unless they are a regular.

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What if you just wanna chill for the night and relax and be in a social environment instead?

Some dudes here are in relationships or too tired to socialize because of work obligations and would rather relax and have a private evening by themselves.
I guess we are seeing a trend here, that if you are working in a full-time job, it zaps your energy to socialize because you are too drained. It comes like having a relationship in and of itself in an abstract way.

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Because I'd rather not come off as an anti social douchebag.
You are not being an anti social douchebag if you are being rejected by women and have given up and are reading a book instead. It is because they have rejected you. Bringing a book is your cope not to have to deal with rejection. Of course it sucks when women ignore you and don't take you on and you need a mental escape like reading a book to cope with that.

You see I go further then you do. You might read a book. I'll bring a Tablet, with noise-cancelling blue-tooth headphones and watch anything I want. That's far more anti-social than reading a book. Again, it's because the women reject us, not because we are anti-social.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Depends upon what you're reading. We talking Melville or Stephanie Meyers here? Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Mainteance or Deepak Chopra?
The Art of War
How To Pick Up Broken Women

BaronOfHair

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

GoodMan32

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I guess we are seeing a trend here, that if you are working in a full-time job, it zaps your energy to socialize because you are too drained. It comes like having a relationship in and of itself in an abstract way.
Yeah.

No wonder work used to be one of the most common places to meet a partner. You spend 40 hours a week at work; it's inevitable there will be many an instance where 2 employees end up with chemistry.

Since you have to go to work anyway, and since work drains the desire to go out and meet a partner (for a lot of us at least), getting a partner at work makes the most sense.

Unfortunately, as has been said on this forum before, feminism has destroyed workplace pursuals.

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah.

No wonder work used to be one of the most common places to meet a partner. You spend 40 hours a week at work; it's inevitable there will be many an instance where 2 employees end up with chemistry.

Since you have to go to work anyway, and since work drains the desire to go out and meet a partner (for a lot of us at least), getting a partner at work makes the most sense.

Unfortunately, as has been said on this forum before, feminism has destroyed workplace pursuals.
Like you said, if you have chemistry with another employee, then you are going to get good vibes from her, IOIs or other Green Lights to pursue her. As long as you treat it like a social group (ie pursue for LTRs rather than flings) and stay with that same person for a lenght of time then it should be fine. Feminism can only destroy pursuals if you let it. We all know what the "white rules/boundaries" are and where the "red line/boundaries" are and our disposition does NOT lend itself to pursuing someone who is clearly not interested or have not given us a firm green light. Allof of women do not subscribe to feminism, and it's mainly a few women out there that may be causing trouble that make it bad for everyone else. The vast majority of cases, especially with the likes of us, I believe would be fine. You can't live in fear.

BaronOfHair

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I guess we are seeing a trend here, that if you are working in a full-time job, it zaps your energy to socialize because you are too drained
If a man has enough energy to regularly post his tales of woe on multiple social media platforms whenever he's not on the clock, he has the energy to go out into the fresh air and socialize with a wide array of humanity

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If a man has enough energy to regularly post his tales of woe on multiple social media platforms whenever he's not on the clock, he has the energy to go out into the fresh air and socialize with a wide array of humanity
I can't speak for others, but I don't regularly post on here. If I find a triggering or very resonant post, then I might chime in. However, that's more of a trigger/knee-jerk response rather than just posting because I have nothing better to do with my time. Also using the term "socialize with a wide array of humanity" you are really talking about cold-approaching women where there is an absurdly high rejection rate. It takes two to tango and even if you put in the effort to socialize, people, and in particular women also have to cooperate otherwise it feels like you are harassing people and wasting your time. If you already know it's going to be like that upfront then you are not going to waste your time. Why bother if you are full of anti-seduction things going on?

Last edited: