Observations on Dallas' Scene

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Venue Review: Dos Equis Pavilion (Fair Park Dallas concert venue)

Dos Equis Pavilion is an important live music venue in Dallas. I have a link to its website below, along with links with photos and an artist rendering to give readers an understanding of the lay of the land there. In recent years, it has mainly hosted shows of very well established artists with more mature fanbases. Over the 10+ years I've lived in Dallas, I can't remember too many shows playing at Dos Equis Pavilion that would tend to draw in younger audiences. I have only to a small number of shows over my time in Dallas. I have been to enough shows to understand how seduction would work at Dos Equis. I would not recommend it as a seduction venue. Live music tickets are generally expensive and a lot of the audience at a Dos Equis type show are not going to be too receptive to your openers and intents to escalate conversations and even escalate physically.

I'll start with a brief history lesson. Dos Equis was originally called Fair Park Amphitheater while being built in the 1980s. It has operated under numerous names since it opened in 1988. This venue is likely to change names again at some point in the near future.

Dos Equis has 3 main tiers of seating. The Section 100 seating is the best seating. It is closest to the stage and under a covered pavilion/canopy. If you wanted to impress a female in your life, you might get seats in the Section 100 seating area. Section 200 level are also under the covered pavilion but a little bit further away from the stage. These are still good seats and buying these seats could in certain circumstances. The 3rd seating area is generalized lawn seating. This is the most inexpensive seating area. You don't have a seat. If you buy lawn seating tickets, you're sitting on a blanket or lawn chairs on the lawn. The advantage of lawn seating is that it is the most social area of seating. It's easier to socialize with other lawn seating people, especially if you get to the concert earlier before it gets real crowded or you happen to attend a less crowded show. The D Magazine link below (the artist rendering) is extremely useful in understanding how this would work. I recommend taking a look at that link before I write my next paragraph.

If you want to try to seduce women at a Dos Equis Pavilion show, the best places to do it are on the lawn before the show, or in the general gathering areas and concession areas outside the lawn/pavilion seating areas. In the general gathering areas outside the lawn/pavilion areas, approaches could be done before, during, or even after the show. In order to do seduction well at a Dos Equis show, you are likely going to need a wingman or 2 in order to approach groups of 2-4 females attending a show. This is somewhat difficult to find as more concert attendees are established romantic couples. Some of this depends upon the individual show, which I'll get into in a moment.

If you want to try to seduce, I would recommend buying a lawn ticket as lawn areas are more social than Section 100 and 200. Sections 100 and 200 are better options for a Date Night with an established girlfriend. I would not recommend any Dos Equis concert as an early stage date as these tickets are generally expensive.

If you're going to go to Dos Equis Pavilion, go for a show of a musician that you happen to enjoy. Don't expect to find a date or get laid.

Another pro tip is to try to avoid going to shows between June 1 - September 30 if you are sitting on the lawn. Dallas is warm in those months, even after the sun sets. However, June 1 - September 30 is the most active time for concerts at Dos Equis so this advice is more difficult to implement. The Section 100 and 200 are not air conditioned either but they are at least covered and there are large ceiling-type fans at the top of the pavilion.

There are a few shows planned for 2024 that would draw in younger audiences, but most shows on the 2024 agenda are going to bring in older people. Examples of these shows that would bring in older people in 2024 would be: Alanis Morrissette, The Doobie Brothers, Foreigner-Styx, Sammy Hagar, and REO Speedwagon. Good luck with getting laid or finding a future first date with a younger hottie from attending any of those shows.

Links

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Venue Review: The Village Apartments - Dallas

In another thread (see below), @MatureDJ mentioned The Village Apartments in Dallas. The Village is an important part of Dallas' scene and is located in Upper Greenville, which I have mentioned in Posts 321 and 323. The Village is the largest apartment community in the United States operated by a single management company (Lincoln Property Company). Lincoln Property Company has operated The Village since its beginnings. The Village is a collection of 15+ apartment communities around a common area. There are over 7,000 units in the 15+ complexes and 10,000+ residents.

History

I have included a link for a more in depth history of The Village below, but I'll write up my own version of it.

The Village was first built in the 1960s on former farmland/ranchland that was well located near Downtown Dallas. The Village only stands 7 miles from Downtown Dallas. By that point in the 1960s, sprawl from nearby Dallas neighborhoods was starting to encroach upon the farmland that became The Village. A single bar/restaurant was built in the late 1960s and the plan was to construct multiple apartments around a 9 hole golf club, 6 tennis courts, a swimming pool, and an athletic club. The golf club was eliminated in the late 1970s to build more units. The 6 tennis courts eventually expanded to 12 tennis courts (likely to compensate for the loss of golf). The 12 tennis courts were later bulldozed in 2017 to make way for a central community area renovation that took place in the late 2010s-early 2020s.

The original Village complexes were built between the late 1960s - mid 1980s. When the mid-1980s arrived and the project was considered complete, the Village had 14 complexes, 12 tennis courts, a swimming pool that was good for laps and hosted big pool parties on weekends, and a bar/restaurant. The heyday of The Village really was the 1970s-1990s as these apartment complexes were being constructed and the pool parties were considered wild as the Sexual Revolution of the 1960s became more entrenched in the culture of the USA in the 1970s-1980s. The pool parties of the 1970s-1980s were what made The Village most famous. The original 14 complexes were the center of single life in Dallas in the 1970s-1980s and developed a national reputation. Even the Los Angeles Times wrote up a story about The Village in 1986 (see below). The Los Angeles Times referred to it as a home for swinging singles.

The Village put an ad in Playboy Magazine in 1977 when they opened The Bend complex. I think The Bend was the first complex that was constructed on the land that was the 9 hole golf course. This helped cement the idea of The Village being a swinging singles location in era of entrenching Sexual Revolution.

village playboy.jpg

In the 1970s-1980s, Old Town near The Village had more nightlife venues. Most of those nightlife venues were later converted to retail/grocery stores/sit down restaurants. Some of the other Upper Greenville bars closed later on. When this was happening, The Village was more at its peak. Mark Cuban was the most famous resident of The Village from its heyday, though Cuban did not achieve his fame and fortune until after he moved out of The Village.

Around the late 1990s-early 2000s, Uptown and a few other areas closer to Downtown started to attract some of the yuppie/bougie types as those areas gentrified. The Village lost some of its cool factor with the rise of Uptown/Downtown but still remained a significant part of the Dallas scene. This was the time around when The Village started to knock down some older complexes and construct some newer complexes.

The common areas were re-built in the late 2010s-early 2020s. The one aging bar/restaurant was turned into multiple restaurants, some of which have already closed because they were bad business ideas. The original swimming pool was bulldozed but a different swimming pool setup was put in its place.

It is my hope that this History section proved why The Village is relevant as a part of Dallas' scene.

The Village Today

I have lived in Dallas since the early 2010s and have known many people who have lived in The Village.

As The Village aged, the original bar/restaurant started showing its age and drawing less of a crowd. In the 2010s and now in the 2020s, the original Village bar/restaurant and the new Village bars/restaurants have failed to make their mark on the bar/restaurant scene of Dallas. Most Village residents who go out at night go out to areas other than The Village.

The Village has continued to draw well with the younger single bougie people but it has had to deal with more intense competition from other areas near Downtown Dallas. The Village is considered a good logistical place due to being only 7 miles from Downtown Dallas but it is not likely to be considered the best logistical place in Dallas. Whereas in the 1970s-1980s, it was the center of Dallas single life, it is now one of a number of centrally located Dallas areas where there's a singles scene. The bars closest to The Village closed by the end of the 1990s and the best bars in Dallas are no longer walkable to The Village, though they are a short Uber/Lyft ride. There are still many good daygame opportunities near The Village.

The Village still has the pool parties that made it famous in the 1970s-1980s, albeit it now with a newly renovated pool. While the pool parties might have been awesome in the 1970s-1980s, they haven't been as awesome in the 2010s-2020s. In the 2010s-2020s, The Village pool parties have developed a reputation for having poor male-female ratios (sausage fests) and now highly overpriced drinks to pay for the costs associated with that renovation project.

Some of the older 1960s-1980s complexes are still standing. These are the lower cost, more basic complexes. They still attract 20 something singles who haven't started to make real money yet. These are decent complexes because of the logistics. However, a guy of any age WILL NOT impress a woman taking her back to one of the older Village complexes. The older Village complexes do not look good compared to newer mid-rises and high rises built closer to Downtown Dallas.

The newer, re-built Village complexes are considered above average to solidly above average, depending upon which of the newer complexes is being discussed. The 2 newest ones are the ones that are the most likely to make panties drop. The newest one opened at the end of the renovation of the common areas in the early 2020s and it looks good on the outside. A one bedroom there would be near $3,000/month right now. The major downside with this complex is that many of the units are located very close to that swimming pool I mentioned with the pool parties and you'd be spending $3,000/month to hear loud music for hours every summer weekend. There are other mid-rises and high rises in Dallas that aren't located near loud pool parties at a similar price point. The second newest one opened in the mid 2010s is about 10 years old now and not near loud pool parties on weekends. That's a solidly above average complex, not the best logistically, but will impress a woman if you bring her back there after a date or a night at the bars in an Uber/Lyft.

The Village will continue to be the home for a lot of younger singles in Dallas and a relevant part of the Dallas singles scene. It's amazing that this thread has gone 300+ posts without a single mention of The Village. The primary reason for that is because of the lack of walkability to the best bars, but its good enough location makes it desirable enough.

HaleyBaron

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
3K to live there? No thanks. You can get your own townhome near downtown for 2K and up. And you get two baths and bedrooms, sometimes three.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
3K to live there? No thanks. You can get your own townhome near downtown for 2K and up. And you get two baths and bedrooms, sometimes three.
That newest complex in The Village has all its 1 bedrooms at $2,700 - $3,000 a month. There's one studio around $2,000 a month in it. I think that newest complex is very overpriced and sound issues from pool parties are a major factor.

The second newest one that's around $2,300 - $2,500 for a one bedroom is little bit better deal but questionable.

A 2 bedroom/2 bathroom townhome near Downtown Dallas that is renting around $2,000 is likely an older townhome.

I know you've attended the St. Patrick's Day Parade in recent years. The St. Patrick's Day Parade has been mentioned in this thread in Posts 187, 200, 205, 309, 313, 314, 319-323. One of the reasons the parade route is located in Upper Greenville is because of The Village. The parade started in the late 1970s when The Village was in its heyday and there were more bars in Upper Greenville than now.

Last edited:

HaleyBaron

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So why the Village? Like what does it have to compete against downtown Dallas? Are the clientele worth that 3K?

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That does seem awfully high; Dallas is not SoCal or Manhattan, etc., and the high-rises would seem to charge more for rent.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So why the Village? Like what does it have to compete against downtown Dallas? Are the clientele worth that 3K?
Some of the same questions that you ask would be the same questions I would ask. I think you should feel good about your thought process. I don't think there's a good answer to it.

I think the fact that it's not a suburban pussie wasteland as you are still near Downtown Dallas and other good central city neighborhoods helps it but its an Uber/Lyft ride instead of walkable. There's some other daygame stuff that's possible there.

Some of The Village complexes are populated by SMU students (mainly juniors, seniors, and graduate students) since the minimum age to rent at The Village is 21 and The Village is only 2 miles from SMU. There are apartments closer to SMU that have more of an SMU presence than the various Village complexes. SMU is an expensive college and there are some privileged SMU students in various Village complexes, including the newest, most expensive one. More of The Village residents are post college bougie people than SMU students from rich families.

The Village doesn't offer the walkability to the most popular bars and other things that you'd get with a mid-rise or high rise closer to the center of Dallas (Downtown, Uptown, or Knox-Henderson). I think that's the biggest downside of The Village. There have been fewer high profile crime incidents in The Village than Uptown so that may favor The Village.

That does seem awfully high; Dallas is not SoCal or Manhattan, etc., and the high-rises would seem to charge more for rent.
The Village isn't alone with rents for one bedrooms in the $2,500 - $3,000 range at this point. The Village is mostly low rise buildings though that newest one in the $2,700 - $3,000 range is a mid-rise apartment. The mid-rises and high-rises in Uptown/Downtown now are in that range.

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Examples of these shows that would bring in older people in 2024 would be: Alanis Morrissette, The Doobie Brothers, Foreigner-Styx, Sammy Hagar, and REO Speedwagon. Good luck with getting laid or finding a future first date with a younger hottie from attending any of those shows.
I remember watching some random show on TV with Heather Locklear, while she was in her attractive cougar phase and had not yet hit The Wall, and she talked about going to a Styx concert, LOL.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I remember watching some random show on TV with Heather Locklear, while she was in her attractive cougar phase and had not yet hit The Wall, and she talked about going to a Styx concert, LOL.
Heather Locklear was born in 1961 so her attractive cougar phase would likely have been the late 1990s/early 2000s. That would have been near the end of her time on Melrose Place (ended 1999) or her time on Spin City (1999 -2002).

In 2024, going to a Foreigner-Styx concert at Dos Equis Pavilion in Dallas isn't likely to result in getting any pussie. It's going to be an unimpressive older crowd.

Chow Mein

Don Juan
Reaction score
Venue Review: The Village Apartments - Dallas

In another thread (see below), @MatureDJ mentioned The Village Apartments in Dallas. The Village is an important part of Dallas' scene and is located in Upper Greenville, which I have mentioned in Posts 321 and 323. The Village is the largest apartment community in the United States operated by a single management company (Lincoln Property Company). Lincoln Property Company has operated The Village since its beginnings. The Village is a collection of 15+ apartment communities around a common area. There are over 7,000 units in the 15+ complexes and 10,000+ residents.

History

I have included a link for a more in depth history of The Village below, but I'll write up my own version of it.

The Village was first built in the 1960s on former farmland/ranchland that was well located near Downtown Dallas. The Village only stands 7 miles from Downtown Dallas. By that point in the 1960s, sprawl from nearby Dallas neighborhoods was starting to encroach upon the farmland that became The Village. A single bar/restaurant was built in the late 1960s and the plan was to construct multiple apartments around a 9 hole golf club, 6 tennis courts, a swimming pool, and an athletic club. The golf club was eliminated in the late 1970s to build more units. The 6 tennis courts eventually expanded to 12 tennis courts (likely to compensate for the loss of golf). The 12 tennis courts were later bulldozed in 2017 to make way for a central community area renovation that took place in the late 2010s-early 2020s.

The original Village complexes were built between the late 1960s - mid 1980s. When the mid-1980s arrived and the project was considered complete, the Village had 14 complexes, 12 tennis courts, a swimming pool that was good for laps and hosted big pool parties on weekends, and a bar/restaurant. The heyday of The Village really was the 1970s-1990s as these apartment complexes were being constructed and the pool parties were considered wild as the Sexual Revolution of the 1960s became more entrenched in the culture of the USA in the 1970s-1980s. The pool parties of the 1970s-1980s were what made The Village most famous. The original 14 complexes were the center of single life in Dallas in the 1970s-1980s and developed a national reputation. Even the Los Angeles Times wrote up a story about The Village in 1986 (see below). The Los Angeles Times referred to it as a home for swinging singles.

The Village put an ad in Playboy Magazine in 1977 when they opened The Bend complex. I think The Bend was the first complex that was constructed on the land that was the 9 hole golf course. This helped cement the idea of The Village being a swinging singles location in era of entrenching Sexual Revolution.

View attachment 12831

In the 1970s-1980s, Old Town near The Village had more nightlife venues. Most of those nightlife venues were later converted to retail/grocery stores/sit down restaurants. Some of the other Upper Greenville bars closed later on. When this was happening, The Village was more at its peak. Mark Cuban was the most famous resident of The Village from its heyday, though Cuban did not achieve his fame and fortune until after he moved out of The Village.

Around the late 1990s-early 2000s, Uptown and a few other areas closer to Downtown started to attract some of the yuppie/bougie types as those areas gentrified. The Village lost some of its cool factor with the rise of Uptown/Downtown but still remained a significant part of the Dallas scene. This was the time around when The Village started to knock down some older complexes and construct some newer complexes.

The common areas were re-built in the late 2010s-early 2020s. The one aging bar/restaurant was turned into multiple restaurants, some of which have already closed because they were bad business ideas. The original swimming pool was bulldozed but a different swimming pool setup was put in its place.

It is my hope that this History section proved why The Village is relevant as a part of Dallas' scene.

The Village Today

I have lived in Dallas since the early 2010s and have known many people who have lived in The Village.

As The Village aged, the original bar/restaurant started showing its age and drawing less of a crowd. In the 2010s and now in the 2020s, the original Village bar/restaurant and the new Village bars/restaurants have failed to make their mark on the bar/restaurant scene of Dallas. Most Village residents who go out at night go out to areas other than The Village.

The Village has continued to draw well with the younger single bougie people but it has had to deal with more intense competition from other areas near Downtown Dallas. The Village is considered a good logistical place due to being only 7 miles from Downtown Dallas but it is not likely to be considered the best logistical place in Dallas. Whereas in the 1970s-1980s, it was the center of Dallas single life, it is now one of a number of centrally located Dallas areas where there's a singles scene. The bars closest to The Village closed by the end of the 1990s and the best bars in Dallas are no longer walkable to The Village, though they are a short Uber/Lyft ride. There are still many good daygame opportunities near The Village.

The Village still has the pool parties that made it famous in the 1970s-1980s, albeit it now with a newly renovated pool. While the pool parties might have been awesome in the 1970s-1980s, they haven't been as awesome in the 2010s-2020s. In the 2010s-2020s, The Village pool parties have developed a reputation for having poor male-female ratios (sausage fests) and now highly overpriced drinks to pay for the costs associated with that renovation project.

Some of the older 1960s-1980s complexes are still standing. These are the lower cost, more basic complexes. They still attract 20 something singles who haven't started to make real money yet. These are decent complexes because of the logistics. However, a guy of any age WILL NOT impress a woman taking her back to one of the older Village complexes. The older Village complexes do not look good compared to newer mid-rises and high rises built closer to Downtown Dallas.

The newer, re-built Village complexes are considered above average to solidly above average, depending upon which of the newer complexes is being discussed. The 2 newest ones are the ones that are the most likely to make panties drop. The newest one opened at the end of the renovation of the common areas in the early 2020s and it looks good on the outside. A one bedroom there would be near $3,000/month right now. The major downside with this complex is that many of the units are located very close to that swimming pool I mentioned with the pool parties and you'd be spending $3,000/month to hear loud music for hours every summer weekend. There are other mid-rises and high rises in Dallas that aren't located near loud pool parties at a similar price point. The second newest one opened in the mid 2010s is about 10 years old now and not near loud pool parties on weekends. That's a solidly above average complex, not the best logistically, but will impress a woman if you bring her back there after a date or a night at the bars in an Uber/Lyft.

The Village will continue to be the home for a lot of younger singles in Dallas and a relevant part of the Dallas singles scene. It's amazing that this thread has gone 300+ posts without a single mention of The Village. The primary reason for that is because of the lack of walkability to the best bars, but its good enough location makes it desirable enough.

You’re targeting the wrong audience if you are promoting your business. We’re just trying to smell women without breaking the bank for an Uber.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You’re targeting the wrong audience if you are promoting your business. We’re just trying to smell women without breaking the bank for an Uber.
I'm not promoting a business. If I were, why would I have been highly critical of the walkability? I also set it up like a research paper citing sources. I report facts and observations on city scenes in these threads based on my own experiences, the experiences of people that I know, and reading some other things like Google Reviews and Yelp.

The Uber factor is a huge downside. While The Village has now put in a few bars/restaurants in its center area with its renovation, they don't draw well. Village residents would need to use Uber/Lyft to get to the better nightlife venues.

While you could smell women by walking around the grounds of the various apartment complexes of The Village and its center area, some better daygame areas would be Northpark Center (across US 75 from The Village), or Katy Trail (post #274), or even multiple grocery stores within various Central Dallas areas.

Its own main gym for the residents of its various complexes could be a source of daygame like any other gym in Dallas. That's nothing special.

So why the Village?
Some of the same questions that you ask would be the same questions I would ask. I think you should feel good about your thought process. I don't think there's a good answer to it.
The center athletic club membership that used to come with residence used to be a bigger draw and something you wouldn't get in other parts of the city. Now, that advantage has been eroded. Tennis and swimming were the main draws, alongside a gym.

In the early days, when the golf course existed, it drew in some golf playing people and would save money over a traditional country club. That went away decades ago.

For a much longer period of time, tennis players used to like the courts there. They saved tennis players money over joining a private country club or racquet club and were way better than public courts. That has gone away recently.

There's still a sizable gym offered (comparable to an LA Fitness) and a lap swimming pool as part of the central athletic club membership. Nothing special. That alone isn't a draw compared to mid-rises and high-rises in other central city neighborhoods.

Like anything in real estate, it all comes back to location. Better than average logistics (way better than the North Dallas points north of Interstate 635 or the northern suburbs) and a lot of single people around the various complexes but no walkability to the best nightlife pickup venues or good date hosting venues. The best that can be done there is a short Uber/Lyft ride.

If I made a list of the best panty dropping apartments in Dallas after a good early stage date, a great bar pickup night, or for a home dinner date, it is unlikely that I would put any complex from The Village on it. That's a good idea for my next post here. A panty dropping apartment is a great asset for a renter who has managed to look good and be somewhat charismatic on a date or while doing nightlife approaching.

Last edited:

DY765

Reaction score
New to the forum. Thanks everyone, and the OP, for this thread. A lot of good, spot-on information. I've been in DFW for 1.5 years; moved from NYC. I decided to set up shop in a brand new apartment near one of the DFW's lakes. The scenery and vibe drew me away from my original plan of Downtown Dallas. But I figured, hey.. no big deal. I can always drive the 25-30 minutes to go out.

In hindsight: this building is filled with nothing but families, newlyweds, and divorcees. I'm starting to see why other Texans I meet, ask me why as a single guy did I move all the up here, instead of Downtown. When I do make the Downtown drive, I feel disconnected not living there, and don't feel the vibe of many opportunities like a NYC.

I don't want to give up on Texas, as I like being down south. But I'm torn on what I should do when my lease is up next year. Either a) stay. b) move to a more single-centric Dallas neighborhood. c) move to Houston. or d) move back to expensive NYC. Me being Black, early 40's, my thoughts were maybe I'd be more successful in a diverse Houston. To that end, I also heard there's not much foot traffic there either, and things are pretty spread out. What would you guys do?

Solomon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
New to the forum. Thanks everyone, and the OP, for this thread. A lot of good, spot-on information. I've been in DFW for 1.5 years; moved from NYC. I decided to set up shop in a brand new apartment near one of the DFW's lakes. The scenery and vibe drew me away from my original plan of Downtown Dallas. But I figured, hey.. no big deal. I can always drive the 25-30 minutes to go out.

In hindsight: this building is filled with nothing but families, newlyweds, and divorcees. I'm starting to see why other Texans I meet, ask me why as a single guy did I move all the up here, instead of Downtown. When I do make the Downtown drive, I feel disconnected not living there, and don't feel the vibe of many opportunities like a NYC.

I don't want to give up on Texas, as I like being down south. But I'm torn on what I should do when my lease is up next year. Either a) stay. b) move to a more single-centric Dallas neighborhood. c) move to Houston. or d) move back to expensive NYC. Me being Black, early 40's, my thoughts were maybe I'd be more successful in a diverse Houston. To that end, I also heard there's not much foot traffic there either, and things are pretty spread out. What would you guys do?
It depends on your finances--If you like Dallas why not move closer to downtown? however, then again factoring in the housing market you may get a better deal next year. NYC is great for gaming but personally, I wouldn't want to live there, it's turning into a shythole from all the migrant crap going on.

Houston for a black man who has his stuff together is very easy to pull women, not just black but also from other races, keep in mind this intel I got from a couple of friends who live in Houston and financially they are doing far better than average, also they are in shape etc. Houston has some beautiful women, but also a lot of GD's

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been in DFW for 1.5 years; moved from NYC. I decided to set up shop in a brand new apartment near one of the DFW's lakes. The scenery and vibe drew me away from my original plan of Downtown Dallas. But I figured, hey.. no big deal. I can always drive the 25-30 minutes to go out.

There is no lake around DFW near a good singles scene. White Rock Lake is the closest lake to the action of the Central Dallas and White Rock itself has some approaching opportunities. I can tell that you're not White Rock adjacent.

As for driving to go out, that keeps getting more difficult. Traffic is worse than when I arrived here in the early 2010s. Even if your lake adjacent apartment building is 25-30 minutes from decent places to go out, that's still somewhat difficult. You also probably won't live close to anyone you'd meet out in a bar on non-bar daygame venue either.

Suburban areas of Dallas are mostly families, newlyweds, and divorcees who likely had kids in the past. That's not conducive to meeting many viable dating options.

I don't want to give up on Texas, as I like being down south. But I'm torn on what I should do when my lease is up next year. Either a) stay. b) move to a more single-centric Dallas neighborhood. c) move to Houston. or d) move back to expensive NYC. Me being Black, early 40's, my thoughts were maybe I'd be more successful in a diverse Houston. To that end, I also heard there's not much foot traffic there either, and things are pretty spread out.
When I consider your 4 options, there are really only 2 viable options.

1. Move to a more single-centric Dallas neighborhood
2. Move to Houston

The better option of those 2 is likely Option 1 - the more single-centric Dallas neighborhood. If you move to Houston, you might have to get a new job. In this economy, that's a bad idea. I think the Black community is a little stronger in Houston but Dallas County does have a sizable Black population. Additionally, you heard correctly about the other aspects of Houston. Houston. It is spread out (much like DFW) and foot traffic isn't spectacular there. Dallas isn't known for foot traffic either. There are a few isolated pockets in Dallas with decent foot traffic but that's more of the exception than the rule around this area.

Who do you consider your target market for women? Are you seeking shorter term or longer term interactions? 30+ women are likely a good part of your target market. Many single moms are 30+. Being early 40s is a tough spot but it might be tougher being Black + early 40s.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Venue Review: Northpark Center

Northpark Center is the best daygame mall in Dallas.

It is the best mall for daygame in Dallas because it is the closest to the areas where more unmarried, childless, and younger people tend to live. If you want to find a bougie, White 25-40 year old who is childless, that's more likely in Northpark Center than any other mall in Dallas.

Despite the fact that Northpark was initially constructed in 1965, it has been well maintained over the years and has not fallen into a state of decay. There are newer malls in DFW that have gone downhill.

Northpark is home to some of the priciest shopping in DFW. It is considerED the most upscale indoor mall in DFW.

One of the few places in Dallas that could rival Northpark is West Village. West Village isn’t a mall. Google calls it a retail complex. There are some boutique type stores, bougie class-based fitness studios, and some restaurants in West Village. Most of the approaching that would be possible in West Village would be street type approaches. Street type approaches vs. mall approaches are like comparing apples and oranges. Additionally, Northpark has one MAJOR advantage over West Village and that is air conditioning. During the late Spring, Summer, and early Fall time, it’s a better choice to be indoors trying to find women on a weekend afternoon than outdoors at West Village, at a park, or on a walking path like Katy Trail (see Post #274).

In Northpark, all of the common advice for approaching in malls would apply. Focus on stores where younger, single women tend to go. Avoid the larger department stores like Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Macy's, and Dillard's as those would be mainly married women with some 35+ single moms.

Parking is usually not that problematic at Northpark. The only times when parking is bad at Northpark is between Black Friday and New Year's Day. In general, I would not recommend going to Northpark during that period. Not only will the parking be bad but too many women will be distracted with the chaos that is holiday shopping. Any other time of the year is fine for going to Northpark.

HaleyBaron

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I do enjoy Northpark. The people watching is nice cause you get some nice girls walking through there. Though the prices for some of their clothing is insane. I usually just browse unless I find something I really like, but at Northpark, that's hard to do.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The people watching is nice cause you get some nice girls walking through there.
When I'm there, I'm not there to people watch. I'm either there to shop for something or to make approaches.

Though the prices for some of their clothing is insane.
There are some stores with very expensive merchandise. I've seen the prices for some high end suits in Neiman Marcus.

It's not just clothes that are expensive at Northpark. There is also an authorized Rolex retailer in Northpark.

DY765

Reaction score
Who do you consider your target market for women? Are you seeking shorter term or longer term interactions?
You must be a mind reader. Target market-wise: I'll be honest, I can't make my mind up. Part of me wants to settle down and have kids (not step-kids). Another part of me wants to continue the bachelor life, a tad-bit longer. I thankfully still attract women in their 20's and 30's. But never went far enough to know if it's relationship, or fling attraction, on their part. And me being 42, I'm either already past (or very close to) the age that "fertile" women may see as too old to start a family with. Which puts me in a conundrum. :rofl:

Houston for a black man who has his stuff together is very easy to pull women...
Thanks, bro. Gave me food for thought. Outside of Atlanta, the quality of black women there is definitely not bad, from what I've heard. Ironically, the cute non-Black girls I work with that also live in Texas, live in.. Houston. Go figure. Lol.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Who do you consider your target market for women? Are you seeking shorter term or longer term interactions?
Target market-wise: I'll be honest, I can't make my mind up. Part of me wants to settle down and have kids (not step-kids). Another part of me wants to continue the bachelor life, a tad-bit longer. I thankfully still attract women in their 20's and 30's. But never went far enough to know if it's relationship, or fling attraction, on their part. And me being 42, I'm either already past (or very close to) the age that "fertile" women may see as too old to start a family with. Which puts me in a conundrum. :rofl:
Defining your target market is something you'll need to in order to be the most successful. Doing this will be as important, if not more important, than choosing either a singles-centric Dallas neighborhood or moving to Houston.

It is good that you can still attract women substantially younger (under 35). A lot of men who are 42 would struggle to get attention from 25-34 year olds. It is also good that you've decided that you don't want single moms. You have decided that you want a childless woman.

At 42 right now, if you started a longer term relationship with a younger, more fertile woman, it is likely you'd have your first kid with her around 45. If you had a second kid with her, it would be in the 2nd half of your 40s. That means your kids would be reaching legal adulthood around age 65. Additionally, if you want to help fund a child's bachelor degree, you're looking at working until around age 70. That has the potential to impact how you would plan for retirement. That puts a lot of pressure on you to work longer and avoid layoffs. That's relevant if your work is either in the blue collar space or the white collar space. Aging blue collar workers have to worry about their physical health affecting their ability to work. For white collar workers, the bigger concern with aging in the workplace is avoid corporate layoffs. If a white collar worker gets laid off in their 50s, it is unlikely that they will work again in the field where they've worked for the last 20+ years since they will be deemed "too old" to work again. Layoffs send many white collar workers into early retirement in their 50s. It is a major challenge in your 50s and dealing with these issues while still having dependent children in your household.

There are also concerns with only having shorter term relationships in your 40s. It's going to be more difficult for you to attract the penis carousel rider type woman as you age. Fewer women might be open to a shorter term relationship with you.

Older, childless women are more difficult to find through real life approaching. Dallas is large enough that there are options for this.

We can talk about what to do in Dallas based on your target market when you define one. In order for you to remain in Dallas, you are going to need to move to a better neighborhood than where you currently are, especially since you know you want childless women.