Video on why nightlife is dying

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think the first reason is that people in the west as a whole have gotten older so there's fewer young people
Going to nightlife venues is a younger person's game. I'm now in my early 40s. When I'm single, I do not have the desire to go to nightlife venues to meet new women like I did when I was 21-29.

I think this has always been true. If you had asked single 40 year olds in 2010 about going to nightlife venues to meet new people, they would have given similar feedback.

You make a good point about aging Western populations. In the USA, the median age of a resident is around 39 years old in 2023. The median age of a USA resident was 35 in 2000 and was 30 in 1980. This has been trending with the aging of the large Baby Boomer generation (1946-1964 births). The majority of Boomer offspring are Millennials (1981-1996 births). The oldest Millennials are in their late 30s/early 40s now. The Millennials are aging out of the nightlife venue visiting phase of their lives. In 2024, the older half of Millennials are 35-43.

Even though the USA population is aging, there are more of us. The USA had a population of around 284 million in 2000 and around 335 million in 2023. The overall increase in population means that there are many younger people, even if the median age has increased since 2000.

second, the costs have gone up and people are getting squeezed by inflation
This is what I think is the biggest factor right now and that people are cutting spending.

third, the smart phone has changed the way people interact.
This is true.

People will still need some nightlife venues to host swipe app or Instagram arranged first dates. While there might not be as big of a need for nightlife venues for initial introductions, there are still plenty of first dates happening from the DMs and in-app swipe app inboxes. It's often a different type of venue with a different type of ambience that hosts first and second dates as compared to a venue that might facilitate introductions.

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's going to take awhile for not just nightlife, but the entire world, to "recover" from COVID. Even many fast food restaurants are closing by 10 now, rather than staying up till 12 or 1
Hi Baron,
This is also my take....Maybe too much to ask for a recovery,it's not going to happen....We are in a state of flux,just what will evolve out of this mess is anyones guess.

characternote

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I didn't watch the vid, but speaking mainly from my own experience (and more importantly that of my younger relatives) there does seem to be a fairly large disinterest in this sort of thing nowadays

I speak to my wingmen about it and about how, when we were 18, all we cared about was going out and getting drunk/high/laid. We'd go out maybe 3 times per week (like Tue, Fri, Sat) to bars and clubs

I've got 2 nephews and and niece around that age and it's just not on their radar at all. Of course there's still some 18 year olds doing it (as i'm typically approaching the hot 18 year olds half my age in clubs!) but it seems to be a drastic decrease.

My 2 nephews only care about the gym and gaming. They work out on a Friday and Saturday night and then game online with their mates. whereas I was drinking all night and trying to get laid when I was their age. One of them gets laid a lot in fairness with very hot girls (my brothers kid looks like a freaking male model lol. Always banging stunners from his school/social circle). The other one never gets laid from what I gather, but doesn't seem to care at all. Maybe gaming really is more fun nowadays! We didn't have the ability to game online with your friends when I was that age so maybe i'm the one missing out lol.

The niece mainly drinks with her friends and only ever at house parties.

Again, she gets laid, but it's always always with through social circle or occasional online dating. It's almost as if chatting to strangers in bars or elsewhere is just considered super odd nowadays, here. In bars I feel like me and my wings are the only people approaching strangers! lol. People seem so glued to their social circles.

Also of course the costs is insane nowadays. My first round of beers last night for me and my 2 wingmen was £20! - And we probably had about 7-9 drinks. Can't image them paying that.

I should probably watch the vid though in case absolutely nothing i'm saying relates too it lol

Last edited:

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
People seem so glued to their social circles.
People do have some need to talk to strangers at some point to form social circles initially. Some of those ways of forming social circles are easier approaches. It is possible to become friends with co-workers at a job through naturally occurring interaction and sometimes that interaction can last after one or multiple people leave that employer. Relationships can form through schooling and campus activities and if there aren't any relocations after school, those relationships can persist.

Bumble has a friend making function as a part of its app. Meetup.com group functions can result in friend making but some guys use Meetup to try to hit on women. Meetup.com groups have developed a bad reputation over time with females because a lot of men that women deem as creepy (non-attractive and even mid-tier men) hit on them at Meetup functions.

For making friends, try to not use tech-based methods like Bumble and Meetup. Meetup isn't a pure tech play, but Meetup is tech to facilitate in-person interactions.

In general, social circle interactions are better options in the shorter to medium to for finding a girlfriend. If you're looking for an extended relationship (1-5 years or more), your best bet for getting that with the least amount of grief and frustration is through a social circle. You won't have to do as many approaches in either non-bar venues or nightlife venues or take as many rejections. You won't have a miserable time on swipe apps.

For men with social circles, the problem with the social circle method eventually becomes sustainability as social circles get pissed at men who continually exchange girlfriends, even if the relationships are semi-long (1-5 years). The behavior described in the last sentence is serial monogamy, so it is accurate to say that social circles get pissed off at serial monogamists. It is important to remember that social circles generally have a blue pill viewpoint on romantic relationships. A man might be able to pull 2 LTRs from a social circle without marrying one. After 2 instances, he will have typically bled the social circle dry. In a lot of cases, this doesn't matter to men, as they are simply looking to settle down and exit the phase of life where they are actively seeking new sex partners. This is the type of man that never makes it on to a forum like SoSuave, but every single one of us would know a man that fits that description.

In bars I feel like me and my wings are the only people approaching strangers!
I can relate to this feeling. There was one night in the late 2010s where I went to a bar and saw a bunch of men approaching. I was pleasantly surprised by this as I perceived it as an uncommon sight.

In general, I do not see as much approaching going on. While we have the same observation about nightgame, I also don't see a lot of approaching in common daygame venues either. Within the last few months, I saw a muscular man in a tank top approaching a very attractive woman in gym-like attire on a walking path. I knew it was an approaching because I overheard a part of the conversation. I think he at least got her number and set a date. I haven't seen many other men doing daygame approaches. When I've approached after fitness classes, I've rarely seen other males approaching female fitness class attendees. Talking to the class instructor doesn't really count as an approach, nor would I generally recommend it for seduction purposes.

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is interesting. San Francisco has a reputation for being a metro area filled with sissified men who would not be inclined to approach women in person. The typical San Francisco male is some variation of either an autistic tech worker guy or some other sissified beta male type who would be more inclined to swipe on apps.
I would think the typical SF man is the kind of guy you'd see cruising the bars on Castro Street. :eek:

BaronOfHair

Banned
Reaction score
Hi Baron,
This is also my take....Maybe too much to ask for a recovery,it's not going to happen....We are in a state of flux,just what will evolve out of this mess is anyones guess.
Thus I put the word "recovery" in quotation marks in my original post. COVID was, in essence, an Apocalypse. The world we had prior came to an end, and a new one began

BaronOfHair

Banned
Reaction score
Let's not mourn the "death" of club hopping too ardously. These were always lousy venues for meeting anything other than party girls, all of whom carried with them more risks than they were worth

CornbreadFed

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That's amazing to me. I have no desire to go to San Francisco now. I now perceive it as a disgusting place overrun with homeless people pooping in the streets.
my friend lives there and says everything is great except dating lol.

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I noticed a decline in nightlife even before Covid, and thought it was a problem unique to my city. But I saw RooshV writing about the same thing as early as 2017 or so, which is about the time I started noticing it, and was really cemented after travelling and moving and seeing how ubiqitous it is (at least in the US). One thing that I haven't seen anyone mention yet, I think the decline of "3rd places" has dropped precipitously in the US, and this extends to nightlife. I'm not sure why or how this has happened, but I will blame cities for continuing suburban sprawl, retarded zoning laws, and gentrification that replaces fun, cheap dive bars with upscale bullshvt that closes at 8pm. And on yet another note, I've also noticed almost all businesses now close very early compared to pre-covid days, especially restaurants, which is ALSO contributing.

---

My friend and I used to go out multiple nights a week in our medium-sized, non-college town city, when we were in our mid 20s, and even on weekday nights the popular downtown areas seemed to be thriving. However, not even a decade later these same places we used to frequent have turned into former shells of themselves that feel empty. I had a similar experience visiting a friend in LA where the nightlife scene had this equally "hollow" feel to it. I was also in Tuscon recently and the bar scene was just a complete clownshow too. I will say, the Broadway scene in Nashville seemed pretty poppin' , but idk how it compares to 20 years ago.

I've noticed the caliber of women has dropped a lot in nightlife scences irrespective of all this; they are completely lacking in class and increasingly tacky and trashy both in their choice of outfits and overall behavior. I've also noticed there seem to be more ghetto blacks, especially of the fat ghetto black women variety (you know the type).

At this point I have completely lost interest in clubbing and bar hopping. I might still enjoy going to a dive bar or weird club but I typically end up chatting with some dude about things that are actually interesting rather than some braindead thot who's entire life story can be summed up as "i'm hot shvt because guys want to fvck me".

Last edited:

BaronOfHair

Banned
Reaction score
I might still enjoy going to a dive bar or weird club but I typically end up chatting with some dude about things that are actually interesting rather than some braindead thot who's entire life story can be summed up as "i'm hot shvt because guys want to fvck me".
If ever there was a day in which night clubs WEREN'T points of congregation for the sort of women you're describing, they're decades in the past, here in '24

Fortune_favors_the_bold

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I had countless one night stands in european clubs (many places in eastern europe) from the late 00s to the mid 10s.

The downfall begun way earlier than the plandemic, I would say mid 10s when smartphones and social media became widespread.

Hitting the club in 2008 compared to 2018 was like getting at the buffet right at the opening compared to 10 min before closing time.

Damn in the late 00s and early 10s even british clubs were good enough of a bet if you were decent looking.

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If ever there was a day in which night clubs WEREN'T points of congregation for the sort of women you're describing, they're decades in the past, here in '24
That's true, but it seems even worse now. Nowadays, I think a lot of women go to clubs with no intention of actually getting laid or even meeting men, but solely for attention and trying to make other women jealous.

I had countless one night stands in european clubs (many places in eastern europe) from the late 00s to the mid 10s.

The downfall begun way earlier than the plandemic, I would say mid 10s when smartphones and social media became widespread.

Hitting the club in 2008 compared to 2018 was like getting at the buffet right at the opening compared to 10 min before closing time.

Damn in the late 00s and early 10s even british clubs were good enough of a bet if you were decent looking.
Yup, since I didn't start until early 10s I cannot comment, but it seemed like it had already peaked before I started and had already been on the decline since it only got worse as time went on. I noticed a big change just in the couple years that I was actively going out all the time, by 2016 things were starting to really seem shvtty. This is around the same time that feminism and leftist ideals began to really take over the culture, too. I really do blame smartphones and invasion of the internet by all the normies (women and simps) for ruining everything.

Last edited:

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

It could also be because you are getting older.

BaronOfHair

Banned
Reaction score
That's true, but it seems even worse now. Nowadays, I think a lot of women go to clubs with no intention of actually getting laid or even meeting men, but solely for attention and trying to make other women jealous
Sad for them. As men, that ain't our problem though

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think a lot of women go to clubs with no intention of actually getting laid or even meeting men, but solely for attention and trying to make other women jealous.
Some of this was going on in 2004-2005 when I was 21-22. It's likely gotten worse since then.

I didn't start until early 10s I cannot comment, but it seemed like it had already peaked before I started and had already been on the decline since it only got worse as time went on. I noticed a big change just in the couple years that I was actively going out all the time, by 2016 things were starting to really seem shvtty. This is around the same time that feminism and leftist ideals began to really take over the culture, too. I really do blame smartphones and invasion of the internet by all the normies (women and simps) for ruining everything.
If someone did start in the early 2010s, then that would be a common perception. I turned 21 in 2004. I noticed some changes in the overall mating environment between 2004-2005 and 2011-2012. I don't even think 2004-2005 was a great starting point either.

The iPhone hit the market in Summer 2007 and there were other smartphones that got to market around the same time. In 2004-2005, cellular phone culture was different. Typing text messages on a standard 9 button cellular phone was much more difficult than the virtual iPhone keyboards or the standard keyboard of Blackberries. People did less text messaging in the early to mid 2000s. Texting was something scarce but instant messaging on laptops was bigger then.

Social media was in its infancy in 2004-2005 and had yet to make an impact. Online dating websites were just become de-stigmatized around the mid-2000s. Even though de-stigmatization had happened by then, real life was still far preferred around then. Internet daters were far less of the norm then.

Leftist and feminism definitely grew starting in the late 2000s.

I noticed a decline in nightlife even before Covid, and thought it was a problem unique to my city. But I saw RooshV writing about the same thing as early as 2017 or so, which is about the time I started noticing it, and was really cemented after travelling and moving and seeing how ubiqitous it is (at least in the US).
Nightlife had been declining through most of the 2010s. I never thought it was something unique to my city. I think the pandemic accelerated some already existing trends in nightlife.

One thing that I haven't seen anyone mention yet, I think the decline of "3rd places" has dropped precipitously in the US, and this extends to nightlife. I'm not sure why or how this has happened, but I will blame cities for continuing suburban sprawl, retarded zoning laws, and gentrification that replaces fun, cheap dive bars with upscale bullshvt that closes at 8pm. And on yet another note, I've also noticed almost all businesses now close very early compared to pre-covid days, especially restaurants, which is ALSO contributing.
The decline of "3rd places" in the USA has been mentioned in numerous other places on the internet. It is a valid point.

My friend and I used to go out multiple nights a week in our medium-sized, non-college town city, when we were in our mid 20s, and even on weekday nights the popular downtown areas seemed to be thriving. However, not even a decade later these same places we used to frequent have turned into former shells of themselves that feel empty.
That's a good observation.