The Liberation of a Breakup

bigneil

Banned
Reaction score
The worst part about my 7 month relationship was the fact that almost everyone here had a doomsayer attitude of "When she leaves you, you'll be sorry".

The truth is, breakups are often the greatest feeling of liberation you will ever know. You no longer have to care. You no longer have to do anything.

Why doesn't anyone say "She might be f*cking you now, but you'll be happy someday!"

sazc

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ummmmmmmm, u okay? did sh1t go down?

bigneil

Banned
Reaction score
ummmmmmmm, u okay? did sh1t go down?
I'm fine.

Tonight, at the moment I arrived at the bar for our date, after she sent 7 texts yesterday begging me not to cancel, I got the following 5 texts after my (granted) risqué joke:

3:00 I hope you are joking about that!
3:10 I'm curling my hair for you!
3:20 I'm getting my nails done for you!
3:30 I'm in Uber on my way!
3:50 I can't do this... I'm sorry, I'm done...

She actually got out of the Uber.

Then she sent a long email saying she was offended by my joke. I think my not replying to her 5 texts set her off.

I went straight to the nearest bar and a waitress came over and said "I saw you with a really pretty girl here last month" and I said "we just broke up" and she gave me her number.

I'm in some weird power struggle. It's like she refused to let me cancel the date just so she could cancel the date. Then I pushed her boundaries and it backfired.

sazc

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
WTH happened? What joke? So in the span of 50 minutes she decided to dump you because you didnt reply? legit, I've had sh1ts in the bathroom that have taken longer than that and I didnt have my phone....WTF?

(okay, not really about the bathroom....but I've trimmed the bushes in my yard and its taken longer than that..)

bigneil

Banned
Reaction score
Honestly, this was the most bizarre thing ever.

I made an unfortunate paraphrase of a sexually explicit reference (intended to be humorous) to a comment she made way back in October, but her opinion has since changed on that subject. Originally she was all "LOL", but I think she thought that by my not replying to her refusing (compounded by my cancelling our date the day before and having her begging me and promising to do anything) that I was trying to force her to do something. She thought that by my not replying I was going to cancel again and after 50 minutes she cancelled (granted, as she was about to take a 45 minute drive into rush hour traffic while I hadn't replied). She did send a long explanation after (to which I did not reply) but there are some issues here.

sazc

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree. We've all got baggage. The question is, can we find someone who compliments our baggage/can call with it.

bigneil

Banned
Reaction score
I agree. We've all got baggage. The question is, can we find someone who compliments our baggage/can call with it.
Here's how it went (paraphrasing).

Me: Ok, never mind about Friday's date.
Her: Why are you cancelling?
Her: I'm sorry if I offended you in any way.
Her: Please write back, I miss you.
Her: Tell me what really happened.
Her: I've been looking forward to seeing you all week, I'm so excited, I will braid my hair for you!
Me: You know I love you.
Her: I love you too! See you tomorrow.
Me: Ok, but I want you to have a three way.
Her: I don't want to do that.
Me: Ok.
Her: I'm getting ready.
Me: But you did say on our first date you wanted a three way.
Her: I don't anymore.
Her: I haven't in a while.
Her: I'm doing my nails.
Her: I'm doing my hair.
Her: I'm in Uber.
Her: That does it. I'm done.
Me: What? I'm just getting all this!
Her: You freaked me out!

lizardking82

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hm, I think give it 2-3 days, let her cool off, she will get over it, it's nothing serious anyways LOL. If she stays mad at you for this, I mean, what's the point of even going further with it?

sazc

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good luck. I hope it works out the way you want it too.

sazc

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

I feel the anxiety just reading this! It's like "wind, wind, wind, crash!"
Was she openly anxious with you? Or is this something you never actually saw?

sazc

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
And yes, when the relationship is over, there is a liberating feeling that you dont have to deal with the bull$hit anymore.

When you really contemplate that feeling, if this IS how you were feeling, you (I) should have exited stage left a long time ago. GOOD relationships dont have you living in a state of feeling precarious (I'm speaking to myself on that right now, not you)

BeTheChange

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hm, I think give it 2-3 days, let her cool off, she will get over it, it's nothing serious anyways LOL. If she stays mad at you for this, I mean, what's the point of even going further with it?
And in that 2-3 day cooling off period she will probably have gone out and fvckd 3 guys.

This chick was clearly trying to instigate a break up - more than likely to assuage her own guilt about sleeping / intending to sleep with other guys.

My ex tried this horesh*t towards the end of our relationship. Could see it coming a mile off and prepared myself it. Once a woman breaks up with you once, that's it. She doesn't fear losing you, nor does she value you. She will do it again and again and again. Best to move on. She should be nothing to you now.

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This chick was clearly trying to instigate a break up
I beg to differ. She went for a ride on the emotional rollercoaster.

Down:
Her: I've been looking forward to seeing you all week, I'm so excited, I will braid my hair for you!

Up:

Down:

There's more down than up here, and that's not exactly good for the relationship. Not really sure why you were pushing the 3-way, unless that's all you really wanted out of this chick. You also appeared somewhat uninterested in the fact that she's getting all dressed up for you, and all you were focused on was having a 3-way. She's going to feel unimportant, unwanted, and I think she has every right to be pissed off.

bigneil

Banned
Reaction score
I beg to differ. She went for a ride on the emotional rollercoaster.

Down:

Up:

Down:

There's more down than up here, and that's not exactly good for the relationship. Not really sure why you were pushing the 3-way, unless that's all you really wanted out of this chick. You also appeared somewhat uninterested in the fact that she's getting all dressed up for you, and all you were focused on was having a 3-way. She's going to feel unimportant, unwanted, and I think she has every right to be pissed off.
Thanks everyone. I clearly messed this up. I pushed her boundaries to the extreme (I had to spare many details here).

I don't think she broke up with me as much as she bailed on this date and let me know I went too far, and I sort of deserved it. Had she been trying to break up with me, I gave her a much better reason when I sent a rude message and tried to cancel our date two days earlier.

bigneil

Banned
Reaction score

In any dating situation, there will be times you say "oops". Women especially can get exponentially more angry than you expected. It normally means there is some unresolved issue that rears up subconsciously so you ask "where is this coming from?".

Here were the keys.

1) When she stood me up. My thoughts were:
1a) Did she block me forever?
1b) Is this over forever?
1c) How could she do this?
1d) Was ImTheDoubleGreatest right that a-hole? ;)
1e) Can I phone her and microwave my brain while leaving voice mail?
1f) Can I show up at Taco Tuesday?
1g) Can I show up at her work and tip more than the landscapers?
1h) Is that waitress single?
1i) Is that bartender single?
1g) Is that other girl single?

I did nothing but text "Ok" and email "Did you just end our relationship?"

2) When she replied (in her normal poetic response which is why I love her) I did not reply. I just collected phone numbers, did push-ups, and listened to Iron Maiden and Judas Priest over and over. For 100 hours. I still have Still Life, Heading out the Highway and (a pioneering power ballad before its time) Before the Dawn stuck in my head.

3) After 2-3 days you will suddenly see their side (beware being that apologetic, enabling dipsh!t, but chances are you weren't 100% right.

4) Know that some underlying issue was causing the majority of what happened, not the fact you might have made that comment about gays not knowing her uncle was gay (love you, Bobby Rio!)

5) WAIT - pissing off women is like accidentally stepping on a cat's tail - they will run off and if you chase them immediately they will only hide and try to bite you. But if you wait they come back at some random time.

6) When she responds, being the all-knowing Guru who figured it all out by then, reward her with a fast and warm response.

Last edited:

bigneil

Banned
Reaction score
Tonight I had my first date with the new girl who I met 20 minutes after I got stood up.

This girl was mesmerizingly beautiful and did everything perfect.

Has anyone ever noticed how every relationship seems to get better?

lizardking82

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Tonight I had my first date with the new girl who I met 20 minutes after I got stood up.

This girl was mesmerizingly beautiful and did everything perfect.

Has anyone ever noticed how every relationship seems to get better?
Every relationship gets better because you get better.