Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Good job, keep at it!

go crazy, send out a bunch!

reset

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MikeEdward1973 said:
Well, if he's going to apply to a situation where they're requiring salary history, rather than salary expectations, I would add it.

Again, I hate engaging employers on Monster or CL that ask for that, but if it's a must, I have to assume that if he doesn't include it, he risks having his application discarded.

Reset, are you being asked to submit salary history, or just salary expectations?
History. I've been in the same place six years. My salary before that is meaningless as far as I'm concerned. I don't think I even remember.

reset

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hello, I am responding to your post on craigslist.com for an in-house navel gazer.

I am senior navel gazer for Headacheland. I have extensive (...).

My current annual compensation is $xx,000. In my new role, I'm looking for a compensation package between $xx,000 and $xx,000. My top priority is job responsibilities and a place where I can personally and professionally grow.

I believe that my attention to detail, creative problem solving, and experience with tight deadlines will be an excellent fit for this position.

Attached is a copy of my resume in PDF format, jpeg portfolio samples, as well as a link to my online portfolio.

You can reach me at 555-555-555.

Thanks!

Reset

How's that?

Last edited:

MikeEdward1973

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I think that's perfect, well done.

reset

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
cool, thanks man. Sent it and that's the format I'll keep using.

MacAvoy

Banned
Reaction score
reset said:
cool, thanks man. Sent it and that's the format I'll keep using.
When I was looking for a new job in a new city 2 years ago, I did a new cover letter for every job I applied to. I had a basic format that I use but I would tailor it to the company and posting that I applied for, including hitting the areas that they talk about in their ad.

MikeEdward1973

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with that, but I think the key is a decent cover letter, a very strong resume, and, most importantly, volume.

Keep sending 'em out!

reset

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, I do work in a specific field so what I send is already tailored to that.

I'll see about converting my resume to a word file so I can upload it to monster too.

Glad I posted here because at first I was venting but in addition I actually learned something about sending out resumes!

MikeEdward1973

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Great.

I would also suggest sending your resume out via Word. I like PDF because it prevents 'smudges,' but everyone is so standardized on Word, that I almost always send a word version.

MikeEdward1973

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
reset said:
My top priority is job responsibilities and a place where I can personally and professionally grow.
I don't mean to nit-pick, but as I re-read this, I realized that there is a grammatical improvement to be made. Please try:

"My top priorities are job responsibilities and a place where I can grow both personally and professionally."

Sorry. I can't help myself.

reset

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah I caught that. Doesn't matter though. NEXT one will say that, lol.

BLebowski

Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't know if you're sending out open resumes or are focusing on specific advertisements ... but what helps immensely is describing why you are the perfect candidate for a job opening. Simply stating 'I have xx years of experience in doing yy' ... that's nice and stuff, and of course you want a place where you can grow, excel and learn new things ... but how are your skills gonna help us? It shows you've done at least some research into the company (proactive) and know some of its background, products and services. It's part of a cover letter (American style) and not much used in Europe, but the people spending some extra effort always get noticed.

I always sift through resumes like that and people selling themselves properly in a focused way are getting a call first (yes, I'm on the other side of the table :D, not in HR but I'm part of the panel, so to speak). Of course, after that it depends on their (technical) skills...I'm a codemonkey by day normally so I judge that.

MacAvoy

Banned
Reaction score
I agree with the BigLeboski. I always make a reference to something unique about the company I'm applying to and how I can help them specifically. Why I would be an asset to them.

reset

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks guys. It's graphics, so if they see what I'm applying for and samples of my work hopefully that gives them a good overview. But yeah, I'll keep making a point to do my best to reword my text based on whatever info I can gleam from the posting.

reset

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks man. But I think that dwelling on it for so long without taking action may have taken even more energy. :D

MikeEdward1973

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
BLebowski said:
I don't know if you're sending out open resumes or are focusing on specific advertisements ... but what helps immensely is describing why you are the perfect candidate for a job opening. Simply stating 'I have xx years of experience in doing yy' ... that's nice and stuff, and of course you want a place where you can grow, excel and learn new things ... but how are your skills gonna help us? It shows you've done at least some research into the company (proactive) and know some of its background, products and services. It's part of a cover letter (American style) and not much used in Europe, but the people spending some extra effort always get noticed.

I always sift through resumes like that and people selling themselves properly in a focused way are getting a call first (yes, I'm on the other side of the table :D, not in HR but I'm part of the panel, so to speak). Of course, after that it depends on their (technical) skills...I'm a codemonkey by day normally so I judge that.
Let's keep in mind that Reset is currently responding to postings on Craigslist or Monster.com. A typical posting on either, depending on the job and the location, will receive between 20 and 200 responses. I know this to be a fact because when a posting goes up for an opening on either of the teams I manage, that is the general range of the number of responses that we get, over a 2 week period.

So, a long-winded cover letter won't get read. I certainly don't read them. Anything longer than 4 to 5 crisp sentences gets rapidly glanced over, and then the resume gets opened. There simply isn't time to read lengthy (i.e., more the 5 sentence) cover letters. The resume should clearly reveal his skills and achievements, and if the employer is competent, they will have already have a very predefined idea of what they are looking for.

I think this is even more true in Resets case since it appears his job is in the visual arts, and his work is related to his portfolio. My guess is if that is indeed the case, even the 5-sentence cover letter he is sending may not be read, and they're going to go straight to his resume & portfolio.

I would keep the cover letter short & sweet, and make sure the resume & everything else is perfect.

reset

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MikeEdward1973 said:
I think this is even more true in Resets case since it appears his job is in the visual arts, and his work is related to his portfolio. My guess is if that is indeed the case, even the 5-sentence cover letter he is sending may not be read, and they're going to go straight to his resume & portfolio.
Yeah that's what I'm counting on. I'm enjoying all these different takes on job hunting though.

reset

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well 7 resumes sent out later I got my first response that they liked my portfolio and wanted to arrange a meeting.

I've got a massive amount of adereneline cousing through me right now. Haven't had an interview in six years.

But I guess I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't think I could handle it.

reset

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MikeEdward1973 said:
That happens to everyone that stays at the same job for a long period of time. That 'spell' that that place has on you will begin to break when you actually walk into another company, and sit down for an interview. You'll walk into your current place afterwards, and look at it much differently, with a lot less awe.
This is what I'm hoping for tomorrow, had my first job interview in over six years today. Don't think it's really what I'm looking for, but it does help to clarify what I want, by contrast of seeing more of what I don't want.

I cannot believe I waited so long, the interview was nothing. I wasn't even really nervous, the guy was a smart-ass like me so we were kidding around and everything, I handled it very well. Interviews are a big monster I created in my mind. It is nothing. Must be what Interceptor says about your personal boundary expanding to accomodate inner resources. A month ago I had a huge anxiety attack when I sent those first resumes out, I can't believe I made such a huge mountain out of a molehill.

I posted about it here, to show how I'm incorporating the DJ mindset. A girl, a job, do not be outcome dependant. Your self worth is not dependent on if someone approves of you or not. Maybe that's why it took me so long--my sense of self-worth was based on how others perceived me.

So, that's that, entering a new phase here. The way I feel about myself, I'm sure is going to change that much more now that I've actually been taking some action.