You have a RESET switch. Use it.

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Last night as I was walking toward Borders Books to do some browsing, I noticed I was walking like a complete dork, you know... rushing, quick movements, etc.

It occurred to me that I have an internal RESET switch that I can press at any time. So I pressed the switch, and Bingo!... I was able to reset my mind and my body language and forge ahead carrying myself as an authentic, controlled man. You might also regard this concept as "re-centering".

Remember, whatever it is you are changing in your personality or habits, you are ALWAYS only one decision away from getting right back on track.

When you catch yourself failing or faltering, don't ruminate about it, just hit the reset switch and move forward.

Night Owl

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Several times a day here - get distracted and need to re-focus.

Nygard

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Where can I find it? Because I only have that Turbo button that it's in old PCs and if I recall well, It only made my computer crazier than an ADD patient on cocaine.
Out of any kind of joke, I admire that you can do it but unfortunately most of us dont.

slaog

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nygard said:
Where can I find it? Because I only have that Turbo button that it's in old PCs and if I recall well, It only made my computer crazier than an ADD patient on cocaine.
Out of any kind of joke, I admire that you can do it but unfortunately most of us dont.
It takes time. Practise, practise, practise and eventually it'll begin to sink in. I use the reset button alot too but I'm now finding that I don't have to refocus my thoughts anymore because I'm becoming more natural.

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
slaog said:
It takes time. Practise, practise, practise and eventually it'll begin to sink in. I use the reset button alot too but I'm now finding that I don't have to refocus my thoughts anymore because I'm becoming more natural.
Well said, Sloag. The beauty of the internal reset button is that a man doesn't have to get down on himself by thinking what a dork or AFC he is. Rather, he simply resets and he is instantly back on track without indulging in self recrimination.

tsmith2334

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
+1. Now I just need to see if I can "reset" after I chickened out of a close last night

Aragon034

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's dangerous whenever i hit my reset button. It's next to the self-destruct button which is a bit larger than i'd like.

Seriously though, i've hit it a few times when i catch myself doing something wrong. Just stop, take 5 seconds to think and reorient myself, then move on in a different way.

Jon55

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Also known as regaining your composure.

Darth

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I do this all the time. Seamless shifting from "dork mode" to "cool mode."

Nygard

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
BS, I really cant get it to work. I try to reset my mood and all those things pestering me are just put on halt while I try to "reset" , but they come back when i'm done trying.

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Practice. You're developing a new habit here.

ArcBound

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nygard said:
BS, I really cant get it to work. I try to reset my mood and all those things pestering me are just put on halt while I try to "reset" , but they come back when i'm done trying.
I couldn't at first either, but it became easier every time I tried until I eventually could do it.

Another similar "reset switch" is planning out your day/things you need to do and writing it down or putting it in your phone. Then whenever you feel yourself procrastinating or lazing off when you shouldn't be, look at the list and get working.

OM4ever

Reaction score
:kick:

here's my example:

great concept; we all could use a reminder to be ourselves to the fullest

Nygard, this might work for you - but develop it into your own meaning

what I do is have a small "thing" - mine is a Volcom stone from a keychain
(I worked at one in SB in college for a couple years)

what it does for me - it's my version of a "reset" button - I remember to put it in my coin pocket in the morning, and at that moment I mentally go through what I want to accomplish that day.

also, whenever I feel like things are falling apart, I take it out, take a moment, and mentally "reset"

these "tokens" or things can mean different things to everyone - I don't think of it as a good luck charm per se, but something to keep me consistent. If you have a small item that means something to you and you can carry it around, a physical symbol of a "reset" button can work for you

TheMale

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
you mean the little item like the movie inception ?!

quick question :
why don't you just write it down what you have to do that day ?
why you have to put your belief into a small item ?

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Reset Switch has more to do with the day-to-day way that you carry and conduct yourself.

If you find your body language and/or speech and thought patterns reverting to old ways, just realize that you can instantly hit that internal switch and shift back into the most effective gear.

OM4ever

Reaction score
TheMale said:
you mean the little item like the movie inception ?!

quick question :
why don't you just write it down what you have to do that day ?
why you have to put your belief into a small item ?

i guess it would be analogous to the things like in Inception, forgot what they called it

but like I said, it's not really me putting my belief in that item as much as it is a symbol of "HEY, here's something to remind you that you got important **** to do!"

writing it down is fine for some, I do it in my phone but it's not a habit for me personally to be so connected to it that I incorporate it frequently into my life. As for my coin pocket, it's exactly big enough to contain something that symbolizes something else. I know it's kind of redundant, but not everyone is the same and can keep written lists - for me its more mental, and the "reset" token puts my thoughts back in line. To each his own, though