[WTF?!]1,420 cal burger not for Tree Huggers

DonCruez

Don Juan
Reaction score
call me a tree-hugger, then...

Hardee’s serves up 1,420-calorie burger
Fast-food giant skips diet craze, concocts fat-filled sandwich

As many fast-food chains introduce healthier fare amid fears of being sued, Hardee’s is bucking the trend, serving up a megaburger with 1,420 calories and 107 grams of fat.

St. Louis-based Hardee’s Food Systems Inc. Monday rolled out its Monster Thickburger — two one-third-pound slabs of Angus beef, four strips of bacon, three slices of cheese and mayonnaise on a buttered sesame seed bun. The sandwich alone sells for $5.49 or $7.09 with a medium fries (520 calories) and soda (about 400 calories).

McDonald’s Corp., Wendy’s International Inc. and other fast-food giants have broadened their offerings of salad and other lower-calorie fare amid concerns the industry could be held legally liable for America’s obesity epidemic. Hardee's offers no such concessions, although the chain is not completely oblivious to dietary trends, offering at least three "low-carb" items including a low-carb Thickburger.

In an interview on CNBC, Hardee's chief executive Andrew Puzder was unapologetic, saying the company's latest sandwich is "not a burger for tree-huggers."

"This is a burger for young hungry guys who want a really big, delicious, juicy, decadent burger," he said. "I hope our competitors keep promoting those healthy products, and we will keep promoting our big, juicy delicious burgers."

Health-safety activist Michael Jacobson denounced the new Hardee's concoction.

"They would argue they are just giving people what they want. I would say this is beyond the pale," said Jacobson, executive director of the Center for Science in the Public Interest. "Probably no nutritionist ever imagined that a product like this would be marketed."

Jacobson pointed out that one Monster Thickburger contains twice the recommended daily allowance of saturated fat, and nearly a full day's worth of sodium. Even before the new Monster Thickburger, the chain offered five sandwiches with 1,000 calories or more, and eight overall that have more calories than what was once the big-burger standard — McDonald’s 600-calorie Big Mac.

"If Hardee's persists in marketing this junk, it should at least list calories right up on the menu board," Jacobson said.

While fast-food diets have been blamed for an epidemic of obesity and heart disease, last year a federal judge in New York dismissed two class-action suits blaming McDonald’s for making people fat.

"Maybe this is a smart strategy because there are still folks out there who care about the taste and size of their sandwich, and less about their weight," said Jerry McVety, president of the restaurant consulting firm McVety & Associates in Farmington Hills, Mich.

Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6498304/?GT1=5809

Nerdy_A

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've seen pictures of this beast.

Since i'm young I can eat whatever the hell I want, just not too much of it or it will effect my health.

If I was in the US of A I would totally go and eat that burger. But only for that one day though, if you are eating that 1400cal burger everday you deserve to have a heartattack and die.

I wouldn't recommend older people eat this **** though.

7 Virtues

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hardee's is not responsible for what people decide to stuff down their throats. Neither is the rest of the fast food industry.

The information is there for you to make an informed decision.

Hot Ice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hahahahh!! Never seen something as stupid as that!

I just wait when some "bulker" dude starts a thread "Allright, I eat 3 of these per day and I get calories to get big in 2 months! Pure muscle mass bro!"

This is pure evil.
I pity them who don't know anything about what's healthy and put that monster down their throats. :eek:

Boxcar Racer

Reaction score
That thing is insane. I couldnt even get my mouth around it to take a bit.

Heizen

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I have seen this monster.

I have tasted this monster, and I have finished it.

Not for the light hearted :D Hey, I hadn't had fast food in almost 6 months, and havn't since then, so I figured I might as well make it worth it :D

For what it is worth, it is a VERY VERY good burger.

Eulogy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey, I bet this will be featured as Vertical Nutrition's grade-A list of bulking foods along with Ice Cream in his upcoming book!

Heizen

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Heh, his new shake. Get one Monster burger, on brick of ice cream; blend; enjoy.

:D

Porky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am...

aroused by the thought of it.

Levex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm sitting and drooling over here....if i could i would marry that sexy thing!

oh yeah...

you "health-safety activists" can kiss my ass.

PoloBlue

Don Juan
Reaction score
I dont see anything wrong with it? it wouldnt be any worse than eating a couple of pieces of pizza, the fat content in pizza is also high.

you could fast all day and just eat the Mega-burger for your meal
and it wouldnt be that much.

Hot Ice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Eulogy
Hey, I bet this will be featured as Vertical Nutrition's grade-A list of bulking foods along with Ice Cream in his upcoming book!
That's what I was saying! :D

Hot Ice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Levex
you "health-safety activists" can kiss my ass.
I wouldn't touch your fat ass with a radiatoin suit.

DonCruez

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by 7 Virtues
Hardee's is not responsible for what people decide to stuff down their throats. Neither is the rest of the fast food industry.

The information is there for you to make an informed decision.
true on most levels. see "Supersize me" the movie (a good one too) for some extra info in how they have some responsibility. f.ex:
* portion sizes have more than doubled since Mc D started.
* in rats the combination fat + sugar becomes addictive. Not really proven for humans
* amounts of money spent on advertising fast food vs the budget for informing people about eating healthy.

Porky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by gav
yeh man, you love the meat
I haven't had meat in 8 or 9 years. but damn if that thing doesn't make me want to run up to a Hardee's right now and order several...

Eternal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Man, I saw that and drooled! I am a college student and we have a Hardee's not but 200 yards from campus. I'm gonna get me one when I get back on Tuesday!