Writing better essays

Baruch

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I am live in the states almost 5 years so my english isnt that bad. But whenever it comes to writing papers in college, i end up dropping the class because i could never complete the essay.

are there any books\guides that would help me in organizing and writing a paper for college classes?

thanks in advance

Levex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
why dont you take an english composition course in your college (in mine its required anyway). if you're having problems with writing,talk to the professor, they're usually very helpful.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Levex
why dont you take an english composition course in your college (in mine its required anyway). if you're having problems with writing,talk to the professor, they're usually very helpful.
Excellent advice.

Now What

Don Juan
Reaction score
Try On Writing Well by William Zinsser. You can find it, and other similar books, online at Amazon.com, at your local bookstore, or at your college bookstore.

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
reading a lot helped me, especially with broadening your vocabularly.

and just making sure you cover your grounds with your thesis.

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Your university should have a free special tutoring program for International Student that have problems with English. At lest mine has.

You might want to look into that.

Nex

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I was in nearly the same position as you, except I was the best student in my English class.

I spent 5 years in the US, so logically my writting kind of sucked. SO I just started reading a lot of a books, there was I time where I'd read a book per day.

Basically what you should do it, it'll help more than anything, is head over to a library, get yourself a book that has also a tape recording of someone narrating it.

Then sit at home with a dictionary and listen to the tape while reading the book simultaneously (pause the tape when you have to look in the dictionary obviously).

What I found is that this increased my vocabulary, my writting skills AND my pronounciation 500%.

ALSO, as someone else mentioned, talk to the teachers. LET THEM KNOW you're from a foreign country and English "so good not so", that way they'll be much more giving & considerate when grading your papers.

Sit at home and try to write an essay in your native language. If you still have a hard time, then your problem isn't with the language -- it's your writting skills (it doesn't really matter what language it's in, it's how you collect and put your thoughts together).