WoW

Crazy Asian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys, i used to think that anyone that played WoW was ridiculous.
It was the "loser" game.
But, my friend has convinced me to play and i've done a little research on it, and it seems like an awesome game.

I know i get addicted to games easily so I already have two friends that will help me not get too sucked in the game lol.
I just wanna give it a shot and see what all the fuss is about.

Do any of you play WoW?
I'm about to go buy the game tomorrow.
Finally decided that i'm gonna be an Orc Warlock.

S.Y.L

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score

A lot of people here, are overcoming being video game nerds and getting a life.

Jon55

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do yourself the biggest favor ever and don't bother.

My roommate plays all the time. He has top tier sh!t, all kinds of rares, and mountains of reputation. So what did this get him? Nothing. He could cancel his account today and find out he just wasted months/perhaps even a years of his life.

Seriously, there is no such thing as a casual player in that game.

Crazy Asian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
lol i'm scared now...

Maxtro

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you don't have a girl in your life or you don't spend a lot of time with you friends. If you have a slightly addictive or needy personality. You must not play WoW.

I wasted 3-4 years of my life on that fucking game. When I was sitting on my ass leveling my characters I should have been outside focusing on my life.

I would say that playing WoW was one of the worst mistakes I have ever done.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Played it for like 30min. I don't see what you like about it. This is one of the most boring games I have ever played.

And you have an addictive personality. : /

Good luck buddy.

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i've played all blizzard games and i got tired of wow because it was so repetitive. im waiting on starcraft 2 since i'm more of a strategy game type person. I like to think things out, plan out strategies against an opponent. i don't like doing the same thing over and over again.

PvP is kind of fun though in wow but still it takes A LOT of time getting gear.

Aenigma

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree- Wow is one of the biggest unproductive time sinks I ever had the misfortune of buying. It's based on the internal reward scheme of success and progression- but in reality all you're doing is wasting your time to get more colorful pixels. In 99% of the game there is no real story progression, and the game never ends (unlike conventional RPGs).

With WoW- you're constantly chasing the cheese- but what you don't realize, until you take a step back and actually hink about it, is that you're really just on a giant hamster wheel.

Don't play it if you have an addictive persoality or nothing else going on in your life (or espically the two comibined) it will quickly grow to dominate your thought process and priorities and will eventually become a true addiction.

If you're going to play a video game online- play something with set starts and finishes- like Shooters or RTS- those have set starts and finishes and you can play casually. WoW drives you to addiction with its ENDLESS progression of things to do.

Edit: Starcraft 2 will rock- and I too eagerly await its release.

Ryoku

Banned
Reaction score
Don't.

WoW is a waste of time. This is coming from a Season 4 Brutal Gladiator - Title, gear, 310% Drake. If you know what that means, you understand how deep I was into the game.

Don't.

jonwon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Crazy Asian said:
Hey guys, i used to think that anyone that played WoW was ridiculous.
It was the "loser" game.
But, my friend has convinced me to play and i've done a little research on it, and it seems like an awesome game.

I know i get addicted to games easily so I already have two friends that will help me not get too sucked in the game lol.
I just wanna give it a shot and see what all the fuss is about.

Do any of you play WoW?
I'm about to go buy the game tomorrow.
Finally decided that i'm gonna be an Orc Warlock.
I have a PC, It's a very good one, built it from scratch to play games in my spare time, since i find TV boring but i love films and books.

Yes it's only natural i'd get WoW.

There are a-lot of people who get addicted to this game, simply because they have nothing better going on, is that addictive? It's addictive if you have things in your life that are not has enjoyble.

When i get home i like to get a nice hot bath and soak for 30mins+ and read a book, then i'll cook my food, probably fire up the xbox or see if there is anything worth watching, or i'd put WoW on and have fun playing that too, i've had it installed on my system for a good few years now.

On other days i work out on my bench in my decent spaced living room, with music or a film in the background.

I also lead a decent social life and go out alot, i see girls regularly and it is rare i don't have female company for a weekend, its rare i would go two weekends without female company.

Yes if you have other things going on, it is impossible to get addicted on the other hand if you have nothing going for you and no other hobbies or persuits you enjoy then your going to get sucked in and the game is designed in a way to allow people with ZERO life to do shi*.

The game rewards no life people, but if you have an active life with spare time, then there is no reason you can't play the game at all.

Tips:

Do not join a guild if you get higher lvl, these place certain expectaions on you, that you are forced to filful, i.e the guild and the people in it, will or can influence you to 'sacrifice' things for a game, for the sake of the 'guild'.

Avoid guilds like the plague unless its a casual PvP guild.

WoW is more casual friendly then it was 2 years ago.

Enjoy the game but take things into perspective, its just a game and won't reward you with anything when playing it. I would suggest any new players at least get a gym membership if they have nothing going on, and motivate yourself to go, at least that way, if your sat for hours you know after your epic workout (no pun intended) you still improving yourself (working out and resting for a day or two is a good technique to use).

The game is ok, it's just a game, it rewards no life people more then any other game on the market, this is why people assume its addictive, but this game is impossible to be addicted to if you have things in your life that are enjoyable. The stories about kids neglected due to the game and people dying are more or less products of messed up people that probably would have spent that time playing some other game anyway, it's just wow can be a constant thing where breaks e.t.c can be bypassed, i.e you play other games they come to an end, WoW does not and even rewards play time invested.

It is designed to be a time sink a grind game to keep the punter paying to get the next big shiny thing and it does not stop EVER, patch after patch it keeps rolling to keep you paying, but there is no reason you can't enjoy it for the good product it is, but i'd stay away from it if your looking for an escape from a cra* life, you'd get sucked in and probably not do yourselves any favours, considering the time invested could have been spent learning another language or studying a degree, but if your in a good place, healthy, have other interests: play it, there is no reason not to.

And warlocks are great i have one too, UD lock, orcs make good ones also. Dam i sound like a geek, thats another thing, don't announce your game playing to girls, keep it stum under-wraps and treat it just like a game, some people are really fuc&** obsesed with this game and even dress up has there favourite characters, sad is not the word.

I know a good few addicted players who played this game and made MANY friends through it, these players now play such things like left for dead together meet up for drinks and stuff.

-Typos, can't be arsed editing.

The Bat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Nygard

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Played it once at some guy's house for 10 minutes and found it worse than solitaire. i'd rather do something else with my time.

Rounder

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't waste your time with games like WoW. They are time sinks and nothing more. They will prevent you from developing other areas of your life.

Games are fine - as everything is - in moderation. Stick to games that are easier to get up from and don't necessarily reward you directly for the amount of time you sit in front of the pc.

I played EverQuest at release - spring of 99 - played off and on for 5 years and played a lot over a 2 year span. That 24 hour camp for Jboots is really paying off now isn't it? That 36 hour camp for a SMR is too! Dare I mention the FBSS or SSOY? lol

Play a FPS or RTS instead - you can play for an hour or 2, have fun but still get up and have a life. You'll never decline a friend's invitation to do something because you're playing those games. I've known too many people who ignore their social life so they can "raid" in games like WoW, EQ, etc.

Invest in YOUR life - not the 1's and 0's of a PC world.