Will chewing up pills have the same effect?

arcilitei34

Don Juan
Reaction score
Im trying to take all purpose vitamins or whatever their called, however, I have a tendancy to have a hard time swallowing big pills, so im chewing them up, would they have the same effect? or would it be weaker?

Retrothe80sninja

Don Juan
Reaction score
Unless it's a chewable tablet I wouldn't reccomend it. Chewing it up makes it disolve faster and your body can't absorb it all that quickly so part of it just gets wasted. That's the big reason why some pills come in chewable/non chewable. Hope that helped.

No_Sleep

Don Juan
Reaction score
You can try crushing them and mixing them with like water or juice of sumthing and then drinking the mixture.

Reto

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Retrothe80sninja
Unless it's a chewable tablet I wouldn't reccomend it. Chewing it up makes it disolve faster and your body can't absorb it all that quickly so part of it just gets wasted. That's the big reason why some pills come in chewable/non chewable. Hope that helped.
Huh? Why do we chew food? To make it digest faster? If your body can't absorb it if it's chewd, where does it go?

Back in the day when I did a lot of drugs, we would chew them up and swallow. You would get high twice as fast.

Retrothe80sninja

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yea, but that's food...and drugs. Medicines/vitamins are made to be swallowed so they disolve slower. Like I said, that's the reason why some pills say "chewable" on the label, because most pills are supposed to be swollowed whole. Where do the rest go? Out into the toilet.

wildchild

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to have problems swallowing pills. My main problem was i put too much water in my mouth when trying to swallow. Try using a small bit of water when swalling a pill i know it sounds stupid but it works.

Heizen

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Unless the vitamins are in big enough quantities that the body would HAVE to be slow absorbing it to get the most of it, don't worry about it.

Pills that say 1000% of your DV (Some vitamin C pills go crazy like that), would need to be taken as directed because your body can only take so much, so it needs to be done slowly or it will just get filtered out of your system. But if it is just a regular multi where things say 100% or less, I wouldn't worry about it. Alot times people are deficient with those vitamins and you body will take it all in.

Now, if it is a cap, a gel pill, you need to swallow it whole. There is no way around it. If you break the cap and mix it with water you will not get all of the dose as some will stay in the glass even if it is well mixed.

If it is medicine, don't even screw with it. Take it as directed no question. That should go without saying though.

Ice Cold

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If the pill is homogeneous (consistent throughout) then you can chew it... Maybe it's gonna be even better for you.

If it has a coating on it, or if it's a capsule... then do not break it....

Or break it if you know what you're doing.

Most vitamin pills don't have any sort of coating, so my wild quess is that it would be good for you to chew them up.

sfalexi

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Can you swallow food? without chewing?

If so, stick the pill in a small piece of jello. Or white bread. Or cheese. And swallow the small "chunk" of food. Works on dogs all the time, don't see why it wouldn't work on a human.

And if you can't swallow a small piece of rolled up bread, then try something else mentioned above.

Alexi