Why do men get married?

BLUEox117

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: hmmm....

Originally posted by ~ªêQµïTª$~
Just a question to all you guys that WANT to have children...

whats you main reason / purpose of wanting kids?

Most of the guys that i have asked (friends etc) told me that its about "continuing the family name" ... but who really cares about that? why is is SO IMPORTANT to carry on the "family name" ? when u die noone will care about ur sirname *G* Anyone want to help me understand this? :rolleyes: ;)

Laterz...
in having kids, you live forever.

unistork

Don Juan
Reaction score
I consider it to be a foolish, short-sighted decision. First off, I find the idea that you are meant to spend the rest of your life with one woman completely fvcking ridiculous. #2, why should I have to go through a bunch of legal bull5hit just because I want to end a relationship? Wouldn't it be easier to just live together in case things don't work out? #3, it's an institution that totally favors the woman...not only do they get to whip you, they get half of your money if it ends in divorce. And let's face it, guys, marriage is the ultimate form of being pu55y-whipped. If you think otherwise, you've been brainwashed by your significant other, your family, or society in general. #4, I am strongly opposed to organized religion, and what is a marriage? It's holy matrimony.

Gonzalo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by unistork
I consider it to be a foolish, short-sighted decision. First off, I find the idea that you are meant to spend the rest of your life with one woman completely fvcking ridiculous. #2, why should I have to go through a bunch of legal bull5hit just because I want to end a relationship? Wouldn't it be easier to just live together in case things don't work out? #3, it's an institution that totally favors the woman...not only do they get to whip you, they get half of your money if it ends in divorce. And let's face it, guys, marriage is the ultimate form of being pu55y-whipped. If you think otherwise, you've been brainwashed by your significant other, your family, or society in general. #4, I am strongly opposed to organized religion, and what is a marriage? It's holy matrimony.
Short-sighted... well, I don't know how short sighted it could be since a good deal of us are walking the earth nowadays as a consequence of our parents getting married (not the other way round, like couples who get married bc guy gets girl pregnant... now THAT'S short-sighted).

Maybe right now you think it's the shyt to get a different girl every friday, but think about it... the average Joe won't be able to pull off cute 20 yr old down in their 60's... and even then, do you want to be in your 60's and pull women in their 60's too? why not get one you can actually stand and keep her... Hell if she's nice maybe she'll even take care of your ass if something happens to you.

I give you that it's ridiculous to go through paperwork if people love each other/or if they don't. I guess it's not that ridiculous from a legal standpoint. In any case PRENUP, boys, PRENUP.

*****-whipped? Put up your pants, men. If a man allows a woman to boss him around then he has deeper problems than not not being able to have more chicks...

The religious thing is personal. I know people who believe they want God's blessing if they start a family, but hey, to each his own...

G

00Kevin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
where I live you can only live with a woman for 6 months. After that you become common-law.

sgt_king

Reaction score
New to this board.

You get married when you meet a woman with whom you're better off than without. I met my wife after years of sport-f"*cking and realized that my life would be better with her in it. It was a total paradigm shift for me. It had nothing to do with how gorgeous she was, or what we liked to do together (or didn't), or what she did for me in bed. That was all great, but there was so much more that she added to my life; mutual infatuation is like mutual masturbation -- fun, but it's not enough. She was valuable to me. She had strengths that I didn't have, and vice versa. We discovered that we were invincible together. I proposed to her within four months of dating when I realized that I would be an IDIOT to let her get away; that my life would be amazing with her in it. And it was.

I lost her and my son to a drunk driver three years ago.

Will I get married again? Maybe. Probably not. And only if (say it with me) I meet someone with whom I'm better off than without.

Abbott

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hell if I know.

I suppose if you want to have children with a woman it makes things simpler as far as parental rights and legal guardianship is concerned. Whether you want children or not is not the issue here, so I'm not going to digress.

I think that it's only because in the past (well, until about 100 years ago when some things started to change and not necessarily for the better) it kept a woman from being with a bunch of other men, and the man from ditching and screwing over the woman. The last part refers to the fact that in the old days, women were almost universally stay-at-home, while the man's income supported everyone within his family (the woman, and his children, on top of himself). In those days, if the man refused to support her, she'd be screwed unless she found another man, and quick, since working for money wasn't really an option for them back then.

Let's also consider technology, and it's effect on the issue. Even in the 30s (and I think 40s, but I'm not sure), and certainly before then, washing machines were rare so almost no one had them. Microwaves didn't exist either, nor did vacuum cleaners. Heck, in rural areas it was even common to assume that people didn't have electricity or phone service. Because of the lack of technology, it was harder to do the household chores, and they took much longer. It takes longer to sweep a floor than vacuum it, but they had to. It takes longer to prepare something and put it in the gas oven than it is to cook it in the microwave oven. Let's not forget the fact that without washing machines and drying machines, all clothing had to be washed by hand (takes a LONG time for lots of clothes), and then hung out to dry (longer than throwing them into the dryer). Also back then it was more common for the woman of the house to make clothing for the family, instead of buy it in stores, so that also took a lot of time.

I'm sure that I've overlooked a few things there, but you get the point. It was literally the practical thing to do, because of so much work that had to be done (since back then there was no technology to make it faster and easier).

So in the old days, marriage protected the woman. She'd get money because if she didn't she'd be out on her ass because women didn't work back then.

Now why is it that it's the woman who stays home, while it's the man who earns the money? At least back then?

Because males are the natural leaders. In the caveman days, he went out to get food for his family. Nowadays, it's not food you need to get. You need money (something that every established civilization that I know of, has), so you can buy things you need. By getting the money, you can provide for the family. Women did the house stuff for the sake of the man and the children, and back then were expected to. If you went back in time and asked someone about that, they'd look at you funny (since no one ever thought otherwise). When you finally get an answer, they'd probably either tell you "That's just how things are," or "The man makes the money, so the woman is doing her part pleasing the man since he supports her."

Now let's fast-forward to modern times:

The Feminist movement happened. Women now can work for money, they can legally hold any job that doesn't have a bona-fide requirement for maleness (and the laws are quite strict regarding what's bona-fide). It's not legal, for example, to say that men are natural leaders, so only men should be CEOs. Also technology improved. We have micrwave ovens, vacuum cleaners, electricity and phone service (even wireless!). Nowadays people buy their clothes in stores or order online. No one makes their clothes anymore. So now the huge burden that used to be on women is no longer there.

In short, a woman can now do something that even 70 years ago, would've been almost unheard of:

She can support herself independently, earning her own money, doing her own chores, and not need a man for anything.

This is all very good and well, especially because I'm cheap and I refuse to support a true dead-beat. However, there are downsides. Marriage laws have obviously not changed with the times. In divorce, without a pre-nuptual (sp) agreement the woman will get half your stuff, even though nowadays there's absolutely no reason for it (she can now earn her own money, and thus not need your money to live off of until she finds a new man).

Times have changed, and in some ways for the better. However marriage laws are very long overdue for change. They're screaming for change!

I will be damned to hell before I will marry without a prenuptual agreement, especially since I have a fairly reasonable chance of being quite financially capable and I won't want to give that up. Also because there's only one kind of person who I give lots of money, and that would be any child of mine I may have in the future (if I decide to have one). Plus, even if she's the rich one I still have my personal principles. If I don't want a woman I'm not going to take her money.

Given that I don't believe in heaven or hell, I guess I really do mean what I say up there. :D

Hopefully that provided some insight.

Ben