why being an accomplished (something) isn't enough

DJHoolahoop

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I never use what I do or will do for a living as my way in with women. But it does go to show you that even if you are the things that girls say are "attractive" or "sexy" it still won't get you very far if you don't have all the other **** together.

Case and point, when I happen to talk to a girl and she obviously has a low interest point in me, that when it comes to discussing what we do, my being a dj and future doctor makes them go "oh cool". But that's where it usually ends 5 minutes later.

Usually I don't introduce myself as being a DJ, but maybe I should? Maybe being full of oneself and confidence really is key. What do you guys think? Should I tell them I'm a DJ right off the bat? Or should I hold back like I normally do?

Smooth Player 056

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would never reveal myself as a PUA or DJ. That is a huge mistake man...theyll think everything you do was a "line" or "tactic"

Love,
~Smooth

C00L

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
you damned clowns he means DEE JAY - DISC JOCKEY. not donjuan.

Yo ill tell you this homie, if you live by your music and what you do then use your Dj name. If your serious about it and want people to know you as that.

Bill

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by C00L
you damned clowns he means DEE JAY - DISC JOCKEY. not donjuan.

Yo ill tell you this homie, if you live by your music and what you do then use your Dj name. If your serious about it and want people to know you as that.
You need to go catch butterflies at the beach.

I would never ever introduce myself as a self-proclaimed DJ. She has to see that you know what you're doing, you really don't want to tell her "oh trust me, you're not the first one I get using these lines".

-Bill

sapphire

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I think it is wise not to reveal your line of work, especially if you are a professional unless asked because it could come off as bragging.

Also, chicks tend to be quite cynical because they have been told so much BS by other guys, that they won't believe you anyway.

If you want to impress them, actions speak louder than words.

benrox

Don Juan
Reaction score
if you want to introduce stuff like that - try to introduce it in a context

for example

Oh, thats so awesome! That reminds me of this crazy **** that happened when I was spinning at _____ a few weeks ago - [insert some crazy story here]

You get to tell a story, and ur just saying ur a DJ in context.

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Being a medical student and a DJ (disk jockey?) isn't accomplished. Unless you're a world famous brain surgeon, or DJ at the Playboy mansion, you need to find a better angle.

I mean you must have funny stories from medical school - pranks you play on new med students, dropping a corpse in someone's bed, etc.

GuitarOnFire

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
A Don Juan is not a one-trick loser.

A Don Juan IS a well-rounded connsaisseur who dabbles in pretty much everything. He has a zest for life and treats worthy women well.

Sapiens

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Dude, you don't claim to be a DJ, as a matter of fact, your actions are what makes you a DJ.

It's like calling yourself a philosopher, can't do it, only the recognition by others as such can make you so.

-Sapiens

DJHoolahoop

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
C00L had it right the first time btw. I'm talking bout my being a Disc Jockey and wondering if I should play that card or not. I appreciate the time and effort replying.

lets_do_this

Don Juan
Reaction score
IMHO, Saying you're a DJ/Player is like saying, "check me out, i'm a PUA/DJ/Player and i'm going to sweep you off your feet"

she's going to feel like. "Let's see you try" :rolleyes:

Would you really want that to happen?

Bill

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Oops, then I'm the one who needs to go catch butterflies at the beach; tell the short bus to wait for me! :)

I wouldn't talk too much about myself at first; whether it be for what's my degree, my job, etc. Let her discover those things.

If the topic arises, don't make it sound like boasting, keep it short, and tell her a funny anecdote or two (the keyword is "funny").
Best of luck.

-Bill

I'm Joe Dirt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would never ever introduce myself as a self-proclaimed DJ. She has to see that you know what you're doing, you really don't want to tell her "oh trust me, you're not the first one I get using these lines".
IMHO, Saying you're a DJ/Player is like saying, "check me out, i'm a PUA/DJ/Player and i'm going to sweep you off your feet"

she's going to feel like. "Let's see you try"

Would you really want that to happen?

DUDES

STOP

STOP

STOP

STOP

He means he spins at parties and stuff. DJ as in Disc Jockey.

GOSH! Pay attention people.

Bill

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by I'm Joe Dirt
DUDES
You obviously failed to read some posts. DJHoolahoop said he was talking about Disc Jockey, and I myself recognized I should be on a field trip in the short bus. What more do you want, except postcount+1 ?
Peace.

-Bill

h2o

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by I'm Joe Dirt
DUDES
LOL, no keep going, they were making me laugh my ass off, seriously!!

with regards to identifying yourself as your profession, i wouldn't do it.

i'm not sure if it was from a fight club quote...but someone once said, "you are not your job" true. don't define yourself in one word things, that limits people's impressions of you to stereotypes they are familiar with. i never say stuff like that, because i like people i meet to make up their own descriptions in their head. it's so easy to put labels on people nowadays, you don't want to put a label on yourself.

you are larger than that. you are so many things you can't describe it. your job isn't your life. that is part of you, but you are the one that makes that dj great...being a dj doesn't make you.

don't know how to describe it, but i hope you get what i'm saying.

h2o

Banned
Reaction score
double post...sh!t maybe i need to get on the short bus too

DJHoolahoop

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
ok good guys, thanks. Cuz I feel more accomplished when I don't advertise myself as being something that may impress people. I'd rather impress them with who I am than what I do.