Who here LOVES to travel??

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Backbreaker, did you feel same being an American in an Arab country? How recently did you go? It is obviously a very rich country. Do Americans get kidnapped there or is it fairly safe? The Middle East is fairly dangerous for Americans, but ultra-wealthy Dubai might be an exception.

Regarding South America, I've read that kidnapping for ransom is the second biggest industry of Colombia (you can guess the first).

Ken785

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MagnuM said:
Stay away from the brothels. Jail bait is a no-no.
i saw this documentary on nbc about catching 50 y/o white people going over to thailand and sleeping or doing sexual acts with 7 y/o girls....some people are just sick man!! :(

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ken785 said:
i saw this documentary on nbc about catching 50 y/o white people going over to thailand and sleeping or doing sexual acts with 7 y/o girls....some people are just sick man!! :(
Can't trust those damn "white people..."

Sorry, couldn't help myself... :p

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
Regarding South America, I've read that kidnapping for ransom is the second biggest industry of Colombia (you can guess the first).
i saw a thing on court tv the other night were lots of men who travel alone for business to some countries are kidnapped for ransom and killed in the streets and then their identities stolen here in the us.

smith25

Don Juan
Reaction score
I know what you mean Ken785. Im a sophomore in college and am willing to visit almost any country in the world and backpack and stay in hostels and meet women. However most of my buddies either have no money, do not like to backpack but prefer hotels and resorts, or just don't want to travel. Its definitely more fun, cheaper and safer to travel with a buddy who has the same interests as you.

Ken785

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i want to go take a eurotrip after this semester with my lil bro! YES...i can go with him..that would be perfect!

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
fuzzx said:
bs penkitten... thats a really ignorant 'typically american' attitude towards the rest of the world.
you have the ignorant attitude because you haven't even read about john elwin's murder over in the philippines. the same dude that murdered him, murdered many more in the same manner.

lots of countries are wonderfully safe and some are really not.
hell, i wouldn't backpack across all the states in america these days with our crime rate.
research where you want to go to see if it is safe or not.
no one wants to end up dead over a vacation.

hasn't anyone ever seen the movie hostel?(movie was inspired by true events)

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
Backbreaker, did you feel same being an American in an Arab country? How recently did you go? It is obviously a very rich country. Do Americans get kidnapped there or is it fairly safe? The Middle East is fairly dangerous for Americans, but ultra-wealthy Dubai might be an exception.

dude.. it's ****ing Dubai. Dubai is more westernized than LA.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:

\

actually, the kind people of dubai are some of the nicest, most hospitable people I have ever met in my life. I've never been somewhere wehre they went so out of my way to make me feel at home... even when I didn't want to feel at home. if I wanted to feel at home I'd be home.

At my hotel, I had a room service person... each room has an "assistant", that spoke PERFECT english. I haven't had that many hamburgers and seasoned fries since I worked at mcdonalds. I was given a tour of the city. I love dubai.

then at the track.. which was really the sole reason I went, Dubai World Cup day, to me the biggest day in horse racing in the world. I just had to go. and they do it BIGGGGG over there. The night before they had a festival of different foods and fireworks that had to last for 1 hour.

people I don't even know coming up to me asking did I need anything.. in english mind you... I met some guy who has been to america a couple of times and we kicked it for a good minute.

then the actual race day. you have to understand. Any horse who is any horse is in Dubai on that day. The pagentery..although I couldn't understand a word that the announcer was saying, I had my program and i had my scopes.

They brought Discreet Cat out for the post parade and the crowd went nuts. He's based in Dubai. The Classic was a 2 horse showdown between Invasor and Discreet Cat. There was every bit of 100k people there.

to answer your question again.. no i didn't feel threated.. I liked it so much if they had legal gambling I'd move.

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
dude.. it's ****ing Dubai. Dubai is more westernized than LA.
Yeah I have to agree. The time I spent in Dubai, was the best time ever.

BUT, you have to keep in mind that despite all the high tech western style malls, it is a muslim country. Always keep that in mind. Even though Dubai is pretty liberal, there are somethings that they don't tolerate, ie drug use, excessive drinking, buying hookers (there are alot of those in Dubai). If you do any of those things, do it discreetly.

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey, backbreaker! Have you ever been to Melbournes Cup? If not, I highly recommend it. It's like a national holliday in Oz.

I met Eva Longoria when I was there, I even spoke to her. w00t w00t

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok, everything I see about Dubai seems to revolve around their snazzy hotels, but what is there to actually DO in dubai? For those not into horse racing?

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Their oil supply won't last another decade, so they're pretty much at the end of the road on the oil gravy train.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Centaurion said:
Hey, backbreaker! Have you ever been to Melbournes Cup? If not, I highly recommend it. It's like a national holliday in Oz.

I met Eva Longoria when I was there, I even spoke to her. w00t w00t

i actually was going to go this year, but the whole horse flu thing is pushing the date back more than likely and it's going to be too close to the Breeders Cup, which I'm not going to miss.

Plus Deep Impact, Delta Blues and pop rock can't run so it's not even really the best race out

phatboi408

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I tavel alot. I'm only 17 and have been to lots of places. I was born in Vietnam.....but I've visited there before...... I've been to All parts of the U.S...Mexico... Western Canada...Bangkok....Singapore....China...Hong Kong......Netherlands....Amsterdam....Norway....Oslo...Bergen...
And alot of other places to....And most of the traveling has been through school trips...

Traveling is fun and I love meeting people from all over the world...

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
fuzzx said:
The sky is not falling chicken little.
no one said the sky was falling, i only said you have to be careful and research the place first.

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I feel bad for a lot of Americans who never get the chance to experience the culture of other countries.

The US is definitely improving culture wise, but you just can't compare it to the things you can experience in ancient lands.

My most memorable trip was to the Republic of Georgia. Simply amazing. There's just something about not knowing whether or not the car next to you is going to disobey a traffic law and kill you while you are on your way to visit the art market or an ancient church that screams "I AM ALIVE!" lol

Ken785

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i was reading over this again... how much do you guys usually spend in say..2 weeks vacation in these countries??...

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I typically try to do at least 10 days. Fly in before the weekend, party on the weekend, have fun through the week, party the following weekend, come home on a weekday. It costs less and seems to give you a chance to adjust to the time change.