where do i start with the guitar

guayaballer

Don Juan
Reaction score
should i learn chords or tabs first. what should i learn in order to see results in a rather short amount of time? or should i just mess aroundwith theguitar till i get good

StrangeButTrue

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Look on the internet for finger exercises. These (and good form) are most important in the beginning. Learn to read tabs first, it's really easy and can get you playing songs quicker.

You've also got to develop your finger callouses and muscles, so if it hurts and your hand is tired, keep going, it'll get better.

Learn some basic chords, too.

The easiest way for all of this is to get an instructor.

Viper

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, do what he said. Also, make sure to learn how to read music, learn the notes and everything and how they are played on guitar. Tabs are good and all, but sheet music is a lot more accurate and is what's used most of the time in professional music books for guitar. Before you start learning how to read music, make sure to also do some research on the basics of musical theory.

Don't get chords mixed up with notes either. On guitar there are chords for G,A,B,C,D,E,F and so on, but there are also single notes for G,A,B,C,D,E,F and so on. If this makes no sense to you, then you should definitely learn some music theory dude, it will definitely help you become more experienced with playing guitar and reading music as a whole.

The Master Disaster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think a good finger excerise is getting the chords down then switching. Like do G than C, or G to C to D to E and so on. Do some scales.

golfguy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Get some books on it, pick up guitar world monthly.\\Basically do what everyone else here says except learn the powerchord. It'll be your friend for a while. 99% of the **** on the radio is powerchorded and talentless. If you practise you'll be able to play a lot come 3 months from now.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
go to bestbuy and get a dvd that will help teach you for about 12 bucks.

its very neat.

English_Bloke

Don Juan
Reaction score
For some reason most chics ive talked to respond in a much more sexy and interested way to bass than to guitar. Maybe they feel the vibrations more down there w/ the bass.

itishe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Guitar is like a screaming kid, it's loud and can be heard over everyone.

Bass is a mellow Barry White with a deep voice, he may not be the loudest but what he has to say is interesting.

Also bass players are a rarity now days, perhaps they find it refreshing to see something new.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
in a girls mind, a bass is a guitar and a guitar is a guitar and its somewhat the same.
some girls have a thing for guitar players and some bass and some drums and some singers and some like basketball players and some like bodybuilders and some like accountants.
its how look doing it, the expression on your face and the look in your eyes when you are doing what you love.

xenten

Don Juan
Reaction score
If you want to learn pretty quick and have money to spend go to Metal Methods and buy the set of DVDs. I learned myself but bought a DVD so I could learn to play faster and it helped after only an hour or so. Learn sheet music like others said; I wish I did. I can read bass clef but not treble; I should have learned it first.

j8snx1

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I personally started off with the internet. You don't need those pricey instructors or those expensive "How to play guitar" books and DVDs. I started with this site:

www.ultimate-guitar.com

Click on the tabs with LESSONS and stuff, and it has enough info and tutorials to kick off your guitar journey. PLUS, you can look up songs that you hear from the radio or CDs and learn the chords/tabs for those songs that you like!

But seriously, in the long run, it's all up to you on whether you get better or not. Your skill will develop based on your attitude and commitment, so even if it's tough hang in there man. The fingertips hurting and frustration from not holding the chords right is only the beginning.

As for music scores, you can get help from people who are experienced with reading them. Guitar tabs aren't really difficult, since you're reading them basically upside down.

EX:

---1-----------
---0-----------
---0----------- All you're doing here is holding down
---0----------- the thinnest string on the first fret
---0----------- and you strum on the strings. Sounds
---0----------- horrible when you play it (it's not
even a real chord, but you get the idea

Haboob

Don Juan
Reaction score
Get a teacher. It’s so much easier. It does cost a little bit but it's definitely worth it. There's no way I could have got where I am at guitar now with books or DVDs... It's just not the same!

If you really aren't that serious and just want to play a tune or two books and dvds would probably be fine. Although you can find some stuff on the internet because everything is a tab expensive.

Just beware of the ads that say "Learn to play guitar like a pro in 24 hours". They are complete and utter bs!

ccs

Don Juan
Reaction score
Unfortunatly alot of the good guitar tab sites are being shut down because the MPA beleives that unlicenced tabs are illegal. One of my favs Taborama is offline, but like j8snx1 said Ultimate guitar is working. Get a gripmaster. They help ALOT. i wish i had had one. and do the lessons on UG. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! Good luck.

TheManlyMan

Don Juan
Reaction score
learn Stairway to Heaven and you're pretty much set.