whats up witht he death penalty

dannowillbookem

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
if youre serving life in prison or are set up for the death penalty, wouldnt you do every physically possible thing to escape? i mean if i was in that position i would get confidence beyond my wildest dreams and punch a cop out and steal his gun and shoot everyone and live in the mountains.

i was watching the simpsons and that just came to me.

Porky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
oh yes. prisons are remarkably easy to escape from, especially the maximum security ones.

twotyme

Don Juan
Reaction score
Whats it mean when someone is serving multiple lfe prison terms? I thought a life sentence was just that-for the person's whole life.

Nex

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, which I probably don't, a life sentence was 99 years. So a first degree murder might give you 99 years in prison, and two might give you twice that...

Well, yes, practically a life sentence is for a a person's whole life, but one can still be convicted of "300 years" in prison -- even though it's impossible to outlife it.

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I thought a life sentence was 20 years? Maybe it depends on the state.

[edit]Just saw that you're from Italy. I have no doubt that the law is different there.

Porky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
a life sentence is a life sentence, in theory anyway.

the reality of it is quite different. sometimes really bad criminals get convicted of multiple life sentences in order to both appease the families of the victims and as a precaution in case they manage to overturn one of the sentences.

dannowillbookem

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yeah cause sometimes people can get out early on good behavior or parole or whatever so to be on the safe side they load on an extra 400 years or so.

but man i would be creating elaborate plans to kill everyone and live on the run. a man in desperation has potential that is impossible to overrate.

PRMoon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Let us not forget that to keep a person in jail for the rest of their natrual life, they must be convicted to a life (or multple life) sentances with no chance of parole. There are people serving life sentances who are up for parole next month who have a good chance of getting out of jail as american jails are the most crowded in the world. Some of those "adjusted" people have to be let out. Typically though, they end up going right back because they can't work or find a place to stay or anything like that (hard to get a job with a felony card that reads murder one) and often they learned about lucrative yet illegal schemes as alternatives.

Trying to escape is NOT a good thing to try while in jail though. Think it can't get any worse living in population? Try spending a few months in solitary confinement (usually where you end up after hitting a cop...and geting out of the infermory). No sun light, a mattress pad, and a toilet in an 8 by 4 cell will take the fight out of any one who isn't crazy...or make another crazy person. Trust me, jail is horrible in it's own right but things can always be worse.

IsiMan84

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Porky said:
a life sentence is a life sentence, in theory anyway.

the reality of it is quite different. sometimes really bad criminals get convicted of multiple life sentences in order to both appease the families of the victims and as a precaution in case they manage to overturn one of the sentences.
I wouldn't say it's so much for that. Multiple sentences exist because there were multiple charges, and each charge produces its own sentence. So if somebody were to murder 8 people separately then they would get a life sentence for each of those murders. But the 2 life terms for one charge would be for the parole reasons. Because if somebody were to spend 30 years on one life sentence before getting out on parole, then it would turn into 60 years with 2 life sentences. Which I doubt anybody will get out for.