What should I do with my life?

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just graduated from college. I majored in accounting and I'm not very interested in it at all. I knew when I enrolled that finding a job would be really tough by the time I graduated, so I wanted to study something marketable rather than a "hobby degree"; but I'm not smart enough to do a hard science, math or engineering. That pretty much left accounting.

The problem is, I've realized that I don't want to be an accountant. At first it wasn't so bad but I've realized it's incredibly boring to me and just not what I want to do. Compounding the problem is our current financial crisis. Most people would say I should just suck it up and be happy to get any job I can find, but I have this fear of ending up trapped in a cubicle for the next 40 years doing tax returns and Excel spreadsheets.

I've moved into my dad's basement (how typical) and I have a ****ty part time job for now. I've been sending my resume out to different companies and temp agencies just to find something to hold me over until I figure out what I'm doing, but haven't heard anything back from anyone. The career center at my school wasn't much help either.

I'm not planning on ever doing the marriage/kids thing so I see no point in turning myself into a worker drone. I'd really like to do something different and exciting with my life because it's pretty much sucked so far. I just turned 25 too so I guess this is my "quarter-life crisis" :rolleyes:. Anyone in a similar situation?

Drdeee

Banned
Reaction score
Career centers in colleges are there just to keep status qua, they never help. What I suggest you do is search for a small IT company in your area and look for job there. You could do orders and sh1t.

Now accountant is a major stuff. In both companies I worked at, accountant comes and goes and is always fat, and drives an import.

Do an internship at IRS.

d!ckmojo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Start your own business dude.

Find out something you can do or sell, it can be anything, just something that people want, and then sell it to them.

Business is fun.

And coz ur trained as an accountant, you have a major advantage in that respect in keeping track of all your cashflows etc.

Think about innovations. Those Groupon style companies that are all the rage nowadays~ that was a pretty big innovation.

Idk~ there are a lot of business ideas floating around. If you brainstorm long enough, you'll hit on one.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Drdeee said:
Now accountant is a major stuff. In both companies I worked at, accountant comes and goes and is always fat, and drives an import.

Do an internship at IRS.
Did you miss the part where I said I didn't want to be an accountant? I don't care how much money I make if I'm stuck at a job I hate for many hours a week.

BigJimbo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Drdeee said:
Career centers in colleges are there just to keep status qua, they never help. What I suggest you do is search for a small IT company in your area and look for job there. You could do orders and sh1t.

Do an internship at IRS.
Yo, import bro! Tell it how it is. We be rollin'. Smoked a fatty a moment ago and be laying down dem tracks for my new single. Get at me if you be who you be!

r0cky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm in the same situation. After graduating with a finance degree 2 years ago i couldnt land a job for a few months. I took on different jobs from sales to stock trader, none of them worked out. Eventually I took a good job with Bloomberg LLP. After giving my all for 3 months I was laid off. This caused me fall out love with the corporate world. By that time it was summer and i was getting unemployment so i wasnt complaining, then i got hired for a really boring accounting job. I was stuck there for 9 months hoping to get laid off or fired. But this never happened so I quit 3 months ago to be a stock trader. I'm not making huge profits yet but I'm giving it my all because I've always been passionate about the stock market. I've also learned to not attach myself to what happens in my life, so now I'm more liberated and I'm free to follow whatever i want without fearing the consequences. I could lose all my money and I still wouldn't give a fu-ck.

My advice is you look at what you're good at and enjoy doing.

Drdeee

Banned
Reaction score
You know those tax services, right?

Well you could run your own tax service. Open up an office, web site, and be your own boss.

I forgot the name of a business, but it has to do with financial advising. I've been called by those faggots on one of their presentations, and I thought I was going on an interview. Basically they're one of the biggest financial advisers out there. Advising on what to do with money and how to save etc. After 5 years working there you could open up your own business --- and as they told me, keep your clients.

It's accounting too, and it's major money.

I'm in IT, and I hate my job as well. IT is fun and sh1t, but working in an office environment sucks. By the very nature of IT, my job is to keep and maintain stuff in working order. Now imagine working with people, all people, who have an idea that I should bring in money. No you ****ing monkeys, eat a banana, I bring money by keeping things available so you could work mother ****ers. If sh1t breaks you can't work and you loose money. With me it's always the same story, after a year at work people loose respect. I have to be doing something, like taking out the garbage, or putting together a ****ing cabinet, or whatever, otherwise those monkey ass idiots think I'm not doing ****, including the boss, he thinks that too. The solution is to work for myself, I'm opening up a business, and if it don't work out I'm gonna get another ****ty ass IT job and just rob the place, get the cash register and take as many computers with me as I can carry. **** em!

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
BigJimbo said:
Yo, import bro! Tell it how it is. We be rollin'. Smoked a fatty a moment ago and be laying down dem tracks for my new single. Get at me if you be who you be!
Wtf? :crackup:

Mr. Fantastic

Don Juan
Reaction score
Only you can answer that question.

Kerpal said:
What should I do with my life?
Anything you effin want. Why are you asking random strangers (on a forum dealing with attracting women, mind you) what you should do for the rest of your life? Discover life yourself. Have you ever had a hobby that you love doing? Make that your career if you can.

Kerpal: "I love to play the trombone ( <---- insert what ever you want here)"

Mr. Fantastic: "Well why not play for a living? You be happier with your life this way."

Kerpal: "But I'll be broke!"

Mr. Fantastic: "So? You'll be happier in the long run. Besides you can use your business degree to start a private lessons company. There is an endless list of things you can do."

Don't waste your life at a job you don't like in the first place. Why spend your time, health, and youth getting money, when you will only spend that money buying back more time and health later on in life? Find your passion in life and put all your energy into making that a reality.

It's funny that I see people all the time who do what you do. They go to college with no sense of purpose in life, only to get some worthless degree that will get them a job at Company X, and live a life that other people want them to. You can do anything you want! The sky isn't even a limit anymore, we have endless space full of matter that has yet to be explored! If you are a nomad type, explore the world. If you are a warrior at heart, join the military. If you are a musician, put your soul into your music. Et cetera.

Don't start a business because some random person on a random forum told you to. Start a business because you want to. Did you know that the majority of businesses (like 90% or something like that) fail within their first year? Just a thought before you jump head first into starting a business.

Here is a parable for you,

The Mexican Fisherman

A boat docked in a tiny Mexican village. An American tourist complimented the Mexican fisherman on the quality of his catch. “How long did it take you to get those?” he asked.

“Not so long,” said the Mexican.

“Then why didn’t you stay out longer and catch more?” asked the American.

The Mexican explained that his small catch was quite enough to meet his needs and feed his family.

“So what do you do with the rest of your time?” asked the American.

“I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, and take a siesta with my wife. In the evening, I go into the village to see my friends, have a few drinks, play the guitar and sing a few songs. I have a full life.”

The American interrupted. “I have an MBA from Harvard and I can help you! You should start by fishing longer every day. You can then sell the extra fish you catch. With the extra revenue, you can buy a bigger boat.”

“And after that?” asked the Mexican.

“With the extra money the bigger boat will bring, you can buy a second boat and then a third boat, and then more until you have an entire fleet of trawlers. Instead of selling your fish to a middle man, you can then negotiate directly with the processing plants. Pretty soon you could open your own plant. You could leave this little village and move to Mexico City, Los Angeles, or even New York! From there you could direct your whole enterprise.”

“How long would that take?” asked the Mexican.

“Twenty — perhaps twenty-five years,” replied the American.

“And after that?”

“Afterwards? Well, my friend,” laughed the American, “that’s when it gets really interesting. When your business gets really big, you can start selling stocks and make millions!”

“Millions? Really? And after that?” said the Mexican.

“After that you’ll be able to retire, live in a beautiful place near the coast, sleep late, play with your children, catch a few fish, take siestas with your wife and spend your evenings drinking and enjoying your friends.”

Kupid Diggs

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ever thought about joining the military? You don't have to be a "Lifer", just do it for 4 years, get out, use the GI-Bill for grad school...

I'm 24 years old, just graduated from college with a degree in Finance & Economics (Go figure), hopefully shipping off to OCS in October. I look this experience as an adventure...

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kupid Diggs said:
Ever thought about joining the military? You don't have to be a "Lifer", just do it for 4 years, get out, use the GI-Bill for grad school...

I'm 24 years old, just graduated from college with a degree in Finance & Economics (Go figure), hopefully shipping off to OCS in October. I look this experience as an adventure...
Nah, don't really feel like getting my legs blown off so Halliburton stock can go up a couple of points.

Amazing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
Nah, don't really feel like getting my legs blown off so Halliburton stock can go up a couple of points.

I don't think that's why anyone joins military..

You are still a self centered entitled kid, once reality hits you a couple of times you'll start opening your eyes. Just remember this piece of advice - it sucks for mostly everyone. Even people with plenty of money are usually stressed, so just figure out what YOU need in this life, not what anyone is expecting of you - it's your journey after all.

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You're a strong guy who likes lifting heavy sh1t. Ever thought doing some labour work? I don't know what it's like over there tbh but here a tradie can clean up.

Brownrice

Don Juan
Reaction score
Think about it, instead of living in your parents' basement and taking part time jobs to make ends meet, why not work as an accountant for a few years, so that you can afford your own place and have a stable life. When you have more capital, you have better options in life. Work as an accountant, save some money and then try to change careers. You are not in a position to to make much choices now. You need some capital and your best bet at getting that is to do a boring job that pays well.

Once you build a decent savings account, you can quit your boring job and try to start your own business doing something you enjoy. If you fail, then you can always go back as you will have the experience.

Brownrice

Don Juan
Reaction score
Mr. Fantastic said:
Anything you effin want. Why are you asking random strangers (on a forum dealing with attracting women, mind you) what you should do for the rest of your life? Discover life yourself. Have you ever had a hobby that you love doing? Make that your career if you can.

Kerpal: "I love to play the trombone ( <---- insert what ever you want here)"

Mr. Fantastic: "Well why not play for a living? You be happier with your life this way."

Kerpal: "But I'll be broke!"

Mr. Fantastic: "So? You'll be happier in the long run. Besides you can use your business degree to start a private lessons company. There is an endless list of things you can do."

Don't waste your life at a job you don't like in the first place. Why spend your time, health, and youth getting money, when you will only spend that money buying back more time and health later on in life? Find your passion in life and put all your energy into making that a reality.

It's funny that I see people all the time who do what you do. They go to college with no sense of purpose in life, only to get some worthless degree that will get them a job at Company X, and live a life that other people want them to. You can do anything you want! The sky isn't even a limit anymore, we have endless space full of matter that has yet to be explored! If you are a nomad type, explore the world. If you are a warrior at heart, join the military. If you are a musician, put your soul into your music. Et cetera.

Don't start a business because some random person on a random forum told you to. Start a business because you want to. Did you know that the majority of businesses (like 90% or something like that) fail within their first year? Just a thought before you jump head first into starting a business.

Here is a parable for you,

The Mexican Fisherman

A boat docked in a tiny Mexican village. An American tourist complimented the Mexican fisherman on the quality of his catch. “How long did it take you to get those?” he asked.

“Not so long,” said the Mexican.

“Then why didn’t you stay out longer and catch more?” asked the American.

The Mexican explained that his small catch was quite enough to meet his needs and feed his family.

“So what do you do with the rest of your time?” asked the American.

“I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, and take a siesta with my wife. In the evening, I go into the village to see my friends, have a few drinks, play the guitar and sing a few songs. I have a full life.”

The American interrupted. “I have an MBA from Harvard and I can help you! You should start by fishing longer every day. You can then sell the extra fish you catch. With the extra revenue, you can buy a bigger boat.”

“And after that?” asked the Mexican.

“With the extra money the bigger boat will bring, you can buy a second boat and then a third boat, and then more until you have an entire fleet of trawlers. Instead of selling your fish to a middle man, you can then negotiate directly with the processing plants. Pretty soon you could open your own plant. You could leave this little village and move to Mexico City, Los Angeles, or even New York! From there you could direct your whole enterprise.”

“How long would that take?” asked the Mexican.

“Twenty — perhaps twenty-five years,” replied the American.

“And after that?”

“Afterwards? Well, my friend,” laughed the American, “that’s when it gets really interesting. When your business gets really big, you can start selling stocks and make millions!”

“Millions? Really? And after that?” said the Mexican.

“After that you’ll be able to retire, live in a beautiful place near the coast, sleep late, play with your children, catch a few fish, take siestas with your wife and spend your evenings drinking and enjoying your friends.”
If everyone wanted to do just the bare minimum and live a life of leisure, we would still be living in the stone age, you wouldn't have the Internet or a computer to post on a message board. You wouldn't have a car. The ambition of man to achieve wealth and greatness is what makes our country so great.

Vice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you don't want to do accounting, why did you spend all that time, money, and energy into getting that degree?

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cr1msonKing said:
Like most people, they don't know what they want to do the rest of their lives when they enter into college.

For whatever reasons, he chose to go the path of an accountant. When he got his degree, he had a change of heart or the reality of being a accountant really hit him.

Why are you being such a pompous douche?
He's always like that. His next step is to go on a rant about how much smarter and more disciplined he is because he's in the Air Force :)rolleyes: ) and how in a few years his "business" (whatever that is) is going to be making him a fortune.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal-

Many, many people are in your same shoes. When I first went to college (tech school really) I got a two-year degree in Graphic Design. I was 19. I thought it was what I wanted to do, but reality was I hardly knew my head from my as$hole, I was depressed, had nothing to be proud of, so I fell back on the only thing I knew I was good at---drawing.

After some utter sh!t jobs I got a decent desk job on the fringe of that field, and worked that for a couple of years. I knew it was only temporary though, I just didnt quite know what direction I wanted to focus my 20's on. So at 23 I decided to go back to college for a pre-med degree, and now I'm halfway through PA school. It has not been an easy road. I'm no academic ace. I got A's, B's and a few C's in college. The one thing that has been constant in the last 6 years is persistence. I got internships, volunteered, did research, worked as an EMT, studied my balls off....anything I could to be as complete as possible. I knew I'd be going up against straight-A students with near perfect test scores, so I had to bring different a bag of tools. Had I given up at any point, I would be up sh!t creek with a mountain of debt and no paddle.

I guess the point of my little anecdote is dont be too bummed you're not on the high road to success at 25. I know it sucks to living at home and have no job prospects, but it's a normal valley of life and you'll come up the other side. Just dont give up! Hell I was a junior at university wondering if I'd even get into med/grad school at 25. But I never gave up.

As far as the accounting thing, if you know you dont want it, dont do it!! I had a cubicle job for several years and my man, let me tell you, if you have any shred of free spirit in you it will rot your soul away, one dull, flourescent-lit day at a time.

Just keep brainstorming, brainstorming, brainstorming. Your feelings will tell you want you really love, but your brain will tell you what is the best investment of your time and money. Try to find the middle ground.

Midnight_Oil

Don Juan
Reaction score
I was and still kinda am in your shoes.

College fills our heads with garbage. "Oh you'll be so respected. You'll be ever so smart." The truth is you know nothing and that hit you like a ton of bricks, like it hit me. When you get out in the world no one give a damn about your education.

With the rising price of college, hopefully they will price themselves out of business. I don't want a damn brick sidewalk in the center of campus, I want lower prices on tuition.

I had to take a job working 12hr night shifts for little $$$. Not something I ever dreamed of doing in college. Last winter so long and depressing since I never saw the sun. After a year I was able to move up a little in the company, get off of night shift and make decent money.

In 2 months, I'll be debt free and can stock pile money. As long as you don't get sucked up in the marriage and family crap, you don't need the stable job.

Starting out sucks, but you will gain some traction and things will get better. You'll have to suck it up for a while