What do you tend to wear on a night out?

Stryker

Don Juan
Reaction score
Provided there are no restrictions or dress code, what do you guys wear on the average night out? I only ask because I've gotten bored of wearing similar clothes every time I go out- button down shirt (plain or patterned), dark jeans and dark casual shoes. I fit in too damn much and I don't like it! At the same time, I don't want to go down the ridiculous route and dress up like Mystery.

I also have a leather jacket that I absolutely adore. I'd love to wear it on a night out but perhaps it's a bit too casual... What do you think? Here's the link: http://www.soulrevolver.com/vintage-style-leather-jackets/mens/hybrid-black

Kohinoor1

Don Juan
Reaction score
unfortunately guys only have few clothing options. ill give you general guidelines to dress like a sharp man.

first, wear whatever you are comfortable in. if you arent comfortable, it will show easily and you will lack confidence. the jacket you posted is too casual for a night out i think, but if you love to wear it, who cares?

you can tuck in your shirt (if you dont already) as a lot of guys dont. its a much cleaner look for going out and you wont look sloppy. if your jeans are long/baggy/loose at the bottom, have them hemmed/altered for $10. i dont recommend relaxed jeans for going out - go with a leaner look with a slim fit jean (note: not skinny). if your shirts are loose, have them altered at the chest/waist/arms, etc.

the fit of your clothes is more important than the clothes themselves, in most cases.

if you are tired of jeans, get some chinos in light grey, charcoal grey, navy blue, black, bronze, and olive - these are the staples. beige/khaki is boring.

women are quick to notice watches, so you may want to invest in a nice one if you like them. there are tons of options for straps as well (get a watch with a 22mm or 24mm band - anything smaller or larger will look just that - too small or too large), which will be noticed if they are color coordinated to what you are wearing.

you can also wear a blazer, scarf, or other accessory(ies) to help you stand out from the crowd. wear leather sole dress shoes - standard oxfords, derbys, wingtips, captoes, chukkas, etc - there are tons of choices these days for men in all sorts of colors, leathers, suedes, canvas, etc. the types i mentioned are all classics and staples. over time, get a pair of each in black and brown and rotate them into your wardrobe.

remember that quality and fit is most important. invest wisely in your clothing and it will last you a decade or more.

also get a GREAT haircut. this makes a huge difference in the way you look as it frames your face. go to a salon and pay good money - $40-60 - to get your hair styled. afterwards, take pictures from a lot of angles and have your regular person (if they can do it) copy the style the next time around.

Last edited:

In10se

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm younger than you so I like to wear a lot of shirts that catch girls eyes...not necessarily button ups...express has great button ups though with bright colors and nice patterns...I would definitely suggest investing money in nice shirts rather than a 40-60 dollar haircut because that is ****ing absurd... I pay $12 dollars for my haircut including tip, granted I do basically just get it buzzed and shaped, but it comes out near perfect every time...short/spiked in the front...if you are balding just get a really short cut and rock it with confidence

Rubirosa

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a $3000 Tag Monaco watch and I can honestly say that it has never gotten me laid.
There's nothing wrong with that leather jacket. A nice pair of fitted jeans and Chelsea boots would go well with it.
I always go with the idea that it's better to be overdressed than underdressed. Even if you were in a club with a bunch of Jersey Shore types, a black suit with an open shirt would make you stand out in a positive way.
When I go out, I like to wear suits without a tie. IMO a tie really makes things too formal for the "clubbing" atomoshere. A pocket square looks good instead of a tie.
Here's a link to Paul Janka's famous "Getting Laid in NYC"....
Scroll about 40 % down to where he talks about appearence
http://blog.juliaallison.com/Images/Paul Janka - Getting Laid in NYC.pdf

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I like wearing a nicely fitted shirt because I am in good shape, a pair of jeans or black pants and a nice pair of shoes. Also make shoes are clean and belt matches. I also have 2 chains I wear around my neck, a silver bracelet and a kenneth cole watch. Getting ready to add some "peacock" items...black and silver bracelet that is really sharp, silver and blue ring, a yin/yang pendant and some earrings...

As it I usually get approached by a girl within 10 minutes, without even doing anything... Last time I didn't even get a chance to get a drink before I got hit on...my advice is to get un shape and workout...I have a very large and muscular upper body(50 inch chest, 17.5 inch arms) so I stand out in a good way from 95% of the guys in there as it us...

cola

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Man less is more.. something comfortable man.. A pair of 25$ cargos from walmart a ralph lauren/nautica polo. Sneakers or a nice shoe that YOU like and a leather jacket is fine.. I dress for comfort as you can tell..

I wouldnt get that pativular leather because of the red trim .. You cant wear that with everything becsuse it wont match but you can get another one similar with ALL black

MasterFuu

Don Juan
Reaction score
Less is more. T-shirt (plain cheap no logos) with shorts and flip flops. Gets the ladies those over dressed sexy 9's.:rock:

For girls more is better. For mean less is more. Don't compete with a woman in that department of clothing. Don't become a woman. Just dress simple and like a dude who does not care how he looks.

Packers2010

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
your jacket is fine.

i have one similar and i got a make out in a club with it. so you should be fine.

just make sure you wear a dress shirt with it. you might not get in.

FairShake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dark jeans, polo, shelltoe sneaks, a silver ring with turquoise, jade, coral, or tungsten stone depending on the color of my shirt. Simple. That's when I go out with my square friends.

When I go out with my hipper friends it's pure rockabilly. I don't wear the pompadour which my hair doesn't do unfortunately but I wear leather jackets, a bowling or banlon shirt, ****ies, chucks or brothel creepers, biker rings, etc.

Zerro

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MasterFuu said:
Less is more. T-shirt (plain cheap no logos) with shorts and flip flops. Gets the ladies those over dressed sexy 9's.:rock:

For girls more is better. For mean less is more. Don't compete with a woman in that department of clothing. Don't become a woman. Just dress simple and like a dude who does not care how he looks.
I agree for most situations. If you're putting more care into your wardrobe than a woman then something is going wrong.

Anyhow, it largely comes down to knowing your audience. If you're going after chicks who love pretty boys then by all means become one as long as you're sure that it what you want.

However I wear t-shirts with logos all the time: sometimes it gives chicks something to use as an opener when they approach me, whether it's some witty slogan on it or "you like <obscure metal/industrial> band too!" or such. Just make sure that the shirt fits you decently rather than being so loose that it adds 10 lbs.

If I want to fancy up a bit I'll put on a suit vest, even over a t-shirt sometimes. I was surprised how well that worked the first time I tried it at a party, if anything just for looking more unique among the other dudes.

MasterFuu

Don Juan
Reaction score
Zerro said:
I agree for most situations. If you're putting more care into your wardrobe than a woman then something is going wrong.

Anyhow, it largely comes down to knowing your audience. If you're going after chicks who love pretty boys then by all means become one as long as you're sure that it what you want.

However I wear t-shirts with logos all the time: sometimes it gives chicks something to use as an opener when they approach me, whether it's some witty slogan on it or "you like <obscure metal/industrial> band too!" or such. Just make sure that the shirt fits you decently rather than being so loose that it adds 10 lbs.

If I want to fancy up a bit I'll put on a suit vest, even over a t-shirt sometimes. I was surprised how well that worked the first time I tried it at a party, if anything just for looking more unique among the other dudes.
Dressing nicely is never a bad thing and it will get you attention with ladies and you will look great. But dressing simple and less tells "this guy got confidence and does not care what other people think of his appearance". You should still be well groomed but simplicity is the key often. That's what I learned few months ago when I met now my ex (dated for three months). She was a solid 9 and that night I had simple t-shirt that I won in a different bar few nights before, white shorts and flip flops. She looked outrageously good and was drawn to me. Not saying that it was all clothes but I think when I under dressed some kind of "I don't give a f***k" confidence got her attention and she didn't care about all the other pretty boys orbiting her. She ended up asking me out, too.
The older I get the more I understand that things can and should be viewed from a simple point of view. It's easier on the mind.:rockon:

Zerro

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MasterFuu said:
Dressing nicely is never a bad thing and it will get you attention with ladies and you will look great.
True, if the situation calls for you to dress up then by all means do so. However on most occasions it's best not to dress too nicely or you may come across as vain and self-absorbed.

If I'm going to a formal dinner then of course I'll be wearing a suit. If I'm going to a club at most I'll put on a button-down shirt but never a tie. If I'm going to a bar then I'm not even going to bother buttoning that shirt up, if I even wear it over my t-shirt.

MasterFuu said:
But dressing simple and less tells "this guy got confidence and does not care what other people think of his appearance".
Exactly, it tells people that you don't care about being judged for your clothing nor have the time for people who are going to make an issue of it. I think the same thing about hair, if she's going to pass you over because she doesn't like your haircut then she wasn't worth your time anyway. Just pick a style because you like it and because it flatters you, not because everyone else thinks that chicks dig it.

LCommander

Don Juan
Reaction score
-Slim fit jeans with boots like Timberlands
-A cardigan with a vneck or a nice sweater top